Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Moving home, question about install (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712396)

zantarous 03-01-2024 12:32

Moving home, question about install

I will be moving soon and will arrange to have VM installed at my new home.

I have a question about installs, is it possible to have the Cable tv box and the modem installed in two different locations?

The reason I ask is I am having ethernet cables installed in a few rooms and having all the cables go back to the spare bedroom that will become my office. So I want the TV box in the living room and the modem in the bedroom where it will connect to a router, then a switch that will essentially feed the other outlets.

Is that a possibility or a no no for the installer?

Paul 03-01-2024 13:53

Re: Moving home, question about install

When I had VM TV I had separate cables for TV and Modem, as they were in different locations, all done by the installer.

zantarous 03-01-2024 17:08

Thank you, sounds like it is possible then.

Sephiroth 05-01-2024 15:18

I'll elaborate on that. Assuming that your installation will use coax cable (as distinct from fibre), there will be a wall box on the outside of your house. Inside that wall box will be the incoming coax cable and a splitter.

As Paul says, the installer will run coax to wherever you want.

That means all you need to do is choose what to locate where and ensure that your structured Ethernet cable covers it all.

demoulous 05-01-2024 16:19

We have our cable TV box in the living room and the cable modem upstairs in the spare bedroom, so yeah its not a problem for them.

Skie 07-01-2024 13:37

The newer V6 TV boxes do also need a way to connect to your broadband, so your TV location will need a lan connection available (or decent wifi).

zantarous 08-01-2024 09:46

The only reason I have TV is everytime I try to cancel it, they give me a price that includes it for like £5. I only ever use it for watching the World Cup or the Euros.

There will be LAN ports in the area by the TV, and if WIFI is iffy downstairs then I will add an access point.

Sephiroth 08-01-2024 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 36167895)
The only reason I have TV is everytime I try to cancel it, they give me a price that includes it for like £5. I only ever use it for watching the World Cup or the Euros.

There will be LAN ports in the area by the TV, and if WIFI is iffy downstairs then I will add an access point.

You seem to know what you're doing.

zantarous 08-01-2024 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36167897)
You seem to know what you're doing.

Somedays I really wonder if I do ;)

Another question, do virgin allow you to have services in two locations for a short time as I don't have a moving date as I am having work done at the house and once I get that date it will be a week, maybe two at the max. I am kind of worried that might not be enough notice for Virgin to do a new install as there is current no Virgin installation there.

How complicated is wiring up a property that has never had virgin before. The house itself is not a new build so I hope there is no issue to pulling a cable or capacity.

And how do I know if the area is FTTH or hybrid coaxial?

spiderplant 08-01-2024 15:27

It's hard to predict how much pre-installation work will be needed. Best to give as much advance notice as you can.

PM me the postcode and I'll check what type of network it is.

zantarous 08-01-2024 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36167918)
It's hard to predict how much pre-installation work will be needed. Best to give as much advance notice as you can.

PM me the postcode and I'll check what type of network it is.

Thanks PM sent.

zantarous 09-01-2024 11:21

On the off chance I contacted Virgin via chats and looks like they can do pre work prior to my move date. Now just need to be contacted by then to arrange a date.

zantarous 19-01-2024 16:09

Does anyone know how robust the orders process is at VM? I booked my install for 5th Feb and they pay week arranged to move it to an earlier date

As the property doesn't have VM already there was going to be some preprep work the day before. I am really hoping that changing the date this gets flagged somewhere and the installer doesn't turn up on the day and sat sorry can't do the install.

zantarous 26-01-2024 10:41

Just had a call from VM to say they had to put my install on hold due to blockage in the ducts and need permission from the local council to resolve the issue.

As there is bugger all mobile signal, or at least not a very good one I need to look at getting a 30 day rolling contract with an open reach provider. Googling seems to suggest this is a thing but when I go to the providers page it always seems to be a 12 month term.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Edit: looks like Now have a no contract option.

Has anyone had to deal with VM getting permission from the local council, sounds like this could be months?

Edit 2:

Ah just thought any open reach connection is going to require a phone line and that will probably be a 12 month contract.

Edward27 17-02-2024 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 36168961)
Just had a call from VM to say they had to put my install on hold due to blockage in the ducts and need permission from the local council to resolve the issue.

As there is bugger all mobile signal, or at least not a very good one I need to look at getting a 30 day rolling contract with an open reach provider. Googling seems to suggest this is a thing but when I go to the providers page it always seems to be a 12 month term.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Edit: looks like Now have a no contract option.

Has anyone had to deal with VM getting permission from the local council, sounds like this could be months?

Edit 2:

Ah just thought any open reach connection is going to require a phone line and that will probably be a 12 month contract.

OMG yes, you got it right, when I was in the same situation it took FOREVER for them to get approved for that permit ught, still worth the wait I'd say