Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Media Access Key (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676882)

Dan20 19-04-2011 00:59

Media Access Key

I noticed today that a media access key has now been listed in my box. I wasn't expecting this as I haven't seen anything about VM allowing download and upload of progs to a computer (but it will be a great feature if they do). I tried to connect via the IP address but only get a could not connect message from the browser.

Does anyone have any insight on this feature? Will it work in the UK in time?

Stuart 19-04-2011 01:49

Re: Media Access Key

I believe the Media Access Key is used as you describe. However, the video is not accessible via the web. You need a package called "Tivo Desktop Plus" to be able to download your videos. http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-software/index.html

That is, of course, VM either get (or don't need) permission from the TV providers for this, and are willing to offer all the features of Tivo.

I believe they have said they are looking to offer all the features of Tivo, but have not indicated a timescale.

windy 19-04-2011 12:00

Which you cant use in england.:(

Stuart 19-04-2011 12:23

I am sure you will be able to if and when Virgin sort out access..

muppetman11 19-04-2011 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35216571)
I am sure you will be able to if and when Virgin sort out access..

Can't see all VM channel providers allowing TIVO users to transfer content to PC etc , especially Sky content.

Lew 19-04-2011 17:11

On the US TiVo individual programmes can be flagged as protected so that they can't be transferred so it's possible that they could enable the feature for some channels/programmes.

muppetman11 19-04-2011 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35216844)
On the US TiVo individual programmes can be flagged as protected so that they can't be transferred so it's possible that they could enable the feature for some channels/programmes.

Yeah possible then.

devilincarnate 19-04-2011 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35216776)
Can't see all VM channel providers allowing TIVO users to transfer content to PC etc , especially Sky content.

Yes this is true as they would want another subscription for this ( well on other platforms ):erm:

AndyCambs 19-04-2011 20:14

Anybody tried the Tivo Desktop software?

zantarous 19-04-2011 21:30

Isn't the media key also used to let Tivos stream data to other Tivos in the household?

mkdr25 19-04-2011 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35216925)
Yes this is true as they would want another subscription for this ( well on other platforms ):erm:

it really will be a cold day in hell before I pay again for that privilege.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried Tivo Desktop plus yet to. I'm sure it wont work but hey.

devilincarnate 19-04-2011 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkdr25 (Post 35217127)
it really will be a cold day in hell before I pay again for that privilege.

I can say that it is a cold day in hell at the moment due to the cut-backs, As i saw my boss on ice skates this morning:D:D:D:D

carlwaring 19-04-2011 22:13

I have to say that streaming isn't that important to me personally, but I would love to be able to use this to access my Tivo along the lines of TivoWeb for the original Series1 units.

TivoWeb basically allowed you to access your Tivo over the internet to do things like: set up one-off recordings and Series Links; re-order series links; set up and perform searches and wishlists, etc.

Dan20 19-04-2011 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 35217040)
Anybody tried the Tivo Desktop software?

Yes, I had a look at the basic free software before my original posting. It is set up to work with Tivo's in the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Nothing doing for the UK.

In fact if the service is enabled this additional software is not required, it just gives an easier, richer interface. There is a web server inside the Tivo that you can in theory access via its IP address. If you get that far (I didn't) you can then put in your username, I think this is always Tivo and a password. The password is the media access key.

One thing I am not sure about is that in the US the Tivo is connected to your home network so it will be sitting in the same IP range as your local computers - you know, something like 192.168.1.10 say but for VM it is quite separate and does not touch the home network but picks up a wan type address so it is going to be intrinsically more difficult to connect though I see there is also an address of a DNS server. As I don't know much about networks I'm not sure what the technique will be to make the connection so that someting other than a 'not found' message is returned in the browser. Over to more knowledgeable folk...

carlwaring 19-04-2011 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan20 (Post 35217176)
One thing I am not sure about is that in the US the Tivo is connected to your home network

Well the UK Tivo does have standard network socket on the back, so you never know ;)