Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Please document any V6 issues here. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704015)

RichardCoulter 25-11-2016 13:00

Please document any V6 issues here.

Instead of spoiling it for those looking forward to getting a V6 in the existing thread and to collate any common issues to feed back to VM, I thought I'd create this thread- hope that's OK with admin.

The other day, I found that the box was behaving erratically. It was as if someone else was pressing the buttons!

I tried changing the batteries which didn't help and my carer has checked for any loose connections.

Someone suggested using the old remote control without Bluetooth as I thought it could be that that was causing the problem, but alas it made no difference.

A reboot cleared it, but the purple circle made a very brief reappearance.

The other day when 'Ordinary Lies' was on, it wouldn't let me delete it.

Just to add, my broadband keeps going on and off. A phone call about this gave a recording that VM are doing maintenance to our BB, could this be affecting the V6 now that it doesn't have its own modem?

I've just turned it on and the phantom button pressing was back, making it impossible to use.

I had to wait for my carer to reset it from the actual box.

This has again cured the phantom button pressing issue and 'Ordinary Lies' has at last disappeared from the list.

However, the reboot interrupted a recording, so I've set it up to record a repeat later today.

It deleted the first part as requested, but won't allow me to delete the second part that it is currently recording.

There are now some delays when moving between screens and the purple circle is back :(

One difference is that it seems to queue the requested commands, as opposed to the old TiVo which completely ignored anything when it was purple circling.

Has anyone else with a V6 encountered this or any other problems?

Also this https://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/s...php?t=33703996

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Screen just went totally black, did another reboot.

At the top it says that it's no longer connected to the internet (error code C233) and keeps alternating between the home screen and a black screen (with no audio when it does this).

Rang V6 faults. After managing to get it to 'Connect to Virgin Media, it is now working ok.

Moral of the story:. If rebooting doesn't clear problems, try connecting to VM!

He did say that it might have been a software update that got stuck.

On Network status the other day it said 60%, when I checked for VM a few minutes ago it said 50% (marginal) and now it says 52% (good).

Are these acceptable and normal ranges? If not, perhaps I will need Homeplugs instead of WiFi after all...

Now that it doesn't have its own dedicated internet connection, will BB outages stop the V6 working?

pip08456 25-11-2016 16:18

Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Rather than homeplugs is there no way you could supply ethernet to it?

I should imagine no BB would have an effect but not having one...

RichardCoulter 25-11-2016 17:06

The router is in my home office two floors up, so it's not really practicable.

Stephen 25-11-2016 18:40

Wow whats with all the double spacing?

Mr K 25-11-2016 18:43

Its got a stupid name and looks like a brick.

RichardCoulter 25-11-2016 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35871706)

?

Anypermitedroute 25-11-2016 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35871706)

Makes essays look big and important

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35871708)

Costs money as well

sollp 25-11-2016 19:13

Quote:

Its looks are irrelevant, you can put the box out of sight instead of having Devices stacked on each other,"Just for there looks". You can make the space look better around your TV.

OLD BOY 25-11-2016 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871592)
Instead of spoiling it for those looking forward to getting a V6 in the existing thread and to collate any common issues to feed back to VM, I thought I'd create this thread- hope that's OK with admin.

The other day, I found that the box was behaving erratically. It was as if someone else was pressing the buttons!

I tried changing the batteries which didn't help and my carer has checked for any loose connections.

Someone suggested using the old remote control without Bluetooth as I thought it could be that that was causing the problem, but alas it made no difference.

A reboot cleared it, but the purple circle made a very brief reappearance.

The other day when 'Ordinary Lies' was on, it wouldn't let me delete it.

Just to add, my broadband keeps going on and off. A phone call about this gave a recording that VM are doing maintenance to our BB, could this be affecting the V6 now that it doesn't have its own modem?

I've just turned it on and the phantom button pressing was back, making it impossible to use.

I had to wait for my carer to reset it from the actual box.

This has again cured the phantom button pressing issue and 'Ordinary Lies' has at last disappeared from the list.

However, the reboot interrupted a recording, so I've set it up to record a repeat later today.

It deleted the first part as requested, but won't allow me to delete the second part that it is currently recording.

There are now some delays when moving between screens and the purple circle is back :(

One difference is that it seems to queue the requested commands, as opposed to the old TiVo which completely ignored anything when it was purple circling.

Has anyone else with a V6 encountered this or any other problems?

Also this https://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/s...php?t=33703996

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Screen just went totally black, did another reboot.

At the top it says that it's no longer connected to the internet (error code C233) and keeps alternating between the home screen and a black screen (with no audio when it does this).

Rang V6 faults. After managing to get it to 'Connect to Virgin Media, it is now working ok.

Moral of the story:. If rebooting doesn't clear problems, try connecting to VM!

He did say that it might have been a software update that got stuck.

On Network status the other day it said 60%, when I checked for VM a few minutes ago it said 50% (marginal) and now it says 52% (good).

Are these acceptable and normal ranges? If not, perhaps I will need Homeplugs instead of WiFi after all...

Now that it doesn't have its own dedicated internet connection, will BB outages stop the V6 working?

My God, Richard, you really are the grim reaper of TiVo boxes!

Do you ever stop continually pressing the buttons on your remote? I'm beginning to think you are hyperactive. For the sake of all of us, don't go anywhere near any of our nuclear power stations!!

Hugh 25-11-2016 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871683)
The router is in my home office two floors up, so it's not really practicable.

Is your home an old building, with solid walls? - this could affect the wifi signal.

RobboEdin 25-11-2016 21:37

Richard, Given the two floors separating your V6 and Superhub and the network status showing marginal wifi connection, I would suggest that powerline connection would be more appropriate for you.

Which wifi band is the V6 currently connected to? If the 5GHz band then I would suggest moving the connection to the 2.4GHz band as it has a better reach than the 5GHz band and this may help.

Mr Banana 25-11-2016 22:51

Quote:

For some reason, in my mind i think the same thing when I look at your avatar, although in the message the brick starts with a p?

OLD BOY 25-11-2016 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35871779)
Is your home an old building, with solid walls? - this could affect the wifi signal.

Don't fret, old chap. Richard appears to have gone to the dark side. There is no way that any sensible person would be actively looking for faults in this way. If he did the same against Sky, the result would be the same.

Sorry, Richard, you have provided much entertainment on Cable Forum, but this is becoming a pantomime! No provider of services is perfect, but you seem to underestimate the difficulties in providing a service in this fast moving technological world.

If you waste your life in finding fault with what others do, you will never be disappointed, but you will lose your credibility.

Just use the box in the way that most people do, and I am sure that performance will be more than acceptable.

RichardCoulter 26-11-2016 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35871779)

Yes, it is. It works ok for my Smart TV & other devices though. Perhaps the V6 is more sensitive??

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35871785)
Richard, Given the two floors separating your V6 and Superhub and the network status showing marginal wifi connection, I would suggest that powerline connection would be more appropriate for you.

Which wifi band is the V6 currently connected to? If the 5GHz band then I would suggest moving the connection to the 2.4GHz band as it has a better reach than the 5GHz band and this may help.

Thanks, I'll look into this :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35871811)
Don't fret, old chap. Richard appears to have gone to the dark side. There is no way that any sensible person would be actively looking for faults in this way. If he did the same against Sky, the result would be the same.

Sorry, Richard, you have provided much entertainment on Cable Forum, but this is becoming a pantomime! No provider of services is perfect, but you seem to underestimate the difficulties in providing a service in this fast moving technological world.

If you waste your life in finding fault with what others do, you will never be disappointed, but you will lose your credibility.

Just use the box in the way that most people do, and I am sure that performance will be more than acceptable.

Don't talk so stupid. How on Earth can finding that the box isn't working be "looking for fault"?!

Idiotic statement.

Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again, am I supposed to just shrug my shoulders and say c'est la vie?

It worked fine again, but it wasn't a 'connect to VM' that corrected it, it was a reboot this time.

If it happens again (after checking Robbos suggestion) I'll report it as a fault. Nobody else has reported any problems with their V6, so I will have to assume that its my particular box that's faulty.

spiderplant 26-11-2016 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871838)
Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again

That's a known error on the V6 when used with certain TVs. A software fix is in development, but in the meantime try going into the Video Output Formats settings menus and unticking 1080i.

RichardCoulter 26-11-2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35871842)
That's a known error on the V6 when used with certain TVs. A software fix is in development, but in the meantime try going into the Video Output Formats settings menus and unticking 1080i.

Thanks SP, I'll do that right now.

Edit: Each time I untick 1080i, it's defaults back to it when I go back into the screen to check if it remains removed.

After unchecking the 1080i box, it gives me the options of continue, test formats or auto detect.

Continue does nothing but give out the error sound, test makes the V6 test all formats and auto detect restores the 1080i box tick!

OLD BOY 26-11-2016 12:55

Quote:

Yes, it is. It works ok for my Smart TV & other devices though. Perhaps the V6 is more sensitive??

Thanks, I'll look into this :)

Don't talk so stupid. How on Earth can finding that the box isn't working be "looking for fault"?!

Idiotic statement.

Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again, am I supposed to just shrug my shoulders and say c'est la vie?

It worked fine again, but it wasn't a 'connect to VM' that corrected it, it was a reboot this time.

If it happens again (after checking Robbos suggestion) I'll report it as a fault. Nobody else has reported any problems with their V6, so I will have to assume that its my particular box that's faulty.

If you go back through your posts on multiple threads, it would appear to most people I think that you were really pounding away at your Tivo, trying to find faults with it. I think your first Tivo must be well and truly knackered by now.

I accept that your 'on/off' issue may be a known issue, but many of the problems you have raised on Cable Forum are the result of the way you go about testing every single aspect of what the box will do. I fully expect that if you had a Sky Q box you would be highlighting similar issues every day.

I use my Tivo to record, play, search and add wishlists, and the only issue I have is the relative slowness of the box at times (although my existing Tivo is now on its way out after about 4 or 5 years of reliable usage). I am sure that if I gave it the kind of pounding you give your boxes, I would get additional problems as well. Do you ever get the time to actually watch any programmes all the way through? If you do, I don't know where you find it!

Just sayin'...:o:

RichardCoulter 26-11-2016 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35871880)
If you go back through your posts on multiple threads, it would appear to most people I think that you were really pounding away at your Tivo, trying to find faults with it. I think your first Tivo must be well and truly knackered by now.

I accept that your 'on/off' issue may be a known issue, but many of the problems you have raised on Cable Forum are the result of the way you go about testing every single aspect of what the box will do. I fully expect that if you had a Sky Q box you would be highlighting similar issues every day.

I use my Tivo to record, play, search and add wishlists, and the only issue I have is the relative slowness of the box at times (although my existing Tivo is now on its way out after about 4 or 5 years of reliable usage). I am sure that if I gave it the kind of pounding you give your boxes, I would get additional problems as well. Do you ever get the time to actually watch any programmes all the way through? If you do, I don't know where you find it!

I expect my equipment to work properly and seek to remedy matters if it doesn't.

How I use my box is irrelevant, it's akin to saying that someone shouldn't complain about a shower installation that begins to leak after 15 minutes because they shouldn't stay in the shower that long!

If you're happy to pay a price increase for an inferior box and/or not get any technical problems sorted out, that's your business.

Do you have any V6 problems to report? This is, after all, the purpose of this thread.

MisterQ 26-11-2016 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35871880)

Well I for one have been silently following Richard's posts for months, primarily because I also suffered from many of the same faults and bugs as well as many more that have not been reported. I think it is very unfortunate that Virgin Media and seemingly some of their vocal customers are so much in love with their little buggy box that they can turn a blind eye to so many problems, hence why most of the faults that existed the day it came out, still exist today even in V6 and why Virgin Media have a reputation for slow, buggy, clunky devices, whilst a growing list of competitor products continue to go from strength to strength.

As for knackering something out by pounding away, I think you must be thinking of something else ;)

I congratulate Richard for standing up for what he believes in and not be shouted down and out by ridicule.

RichardCoulter 26-11-2016 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterQ (Post 35871886)
Well I for one have been silently following Richard's posts for months, primarily because I also suffered from many of the same faults and bugs as well as many more that have not been reported. I think it is very unfortunate that Virgin Media and seemingly some of their vocal customers are so much in love with their little buggy box that they can turn a blind eye to so many problems, hence why most of the faults that existed the day it came out, still exist today even in V6 and why Virgin Media have a reputation for slow, buggy, clunky devices, whilst a growing list of competitor products continue to go from strength to strength.

As for knackering something out by pounding away, I think you must be thinking of something else ;)

I congratulate Richard for standing up for what he believes in and not be shouted down and out by ridicule.

Thank you.

I have little time for (to use a yoof term) fanbois of any company or product.

OLD BOY 26-11-2016 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterQ (Post 35871886)

Well, that was not my intention. I admit I was having a bit of a laugh about Richard going to town on his box, but it was not meant unkindly, and to be fair he has raised one or two important issues.

He's still not getting anywhere near my Tivo, though :Yikes: (sorry, Richard)!!

Mr K 26-11-2016 19:17

It's never really worthwhile rushing to get the first model of anything. There's always load of bugs/errors to sort out, wait at least a year, let others road test it. In Tivo's case the error solving is still ongoing.

alwaysabear 26-11-2016 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35871973)
It's never really worthwhile rushing to get the first model of anything. There's always load of bugs/errors to sort out, wait at least a year, let others road test it. In Tivo's case the error solving is still ongoing.

Yep that's my philosophy and has been for many years.

martyh 26-11-2016 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35871959)
Well, that was not my intention. I admit I was having a bit of a laugh about Richard going to town on his box, but it was not meant unkindly, and to be fair he has raised one or two important issues.

He's still not getting anywhere near my Tivo, though :Yikes: (sorry, Richard)!!

My mother can't wear watches ,they just keep breaking ,wind up ones and battery ones ,Richard can't have Tivo's ,it's the same :)

OhReally 27-11-2016 01:37

Quote:

Are you being serious? They never FULLY tested HD output? Really? Couldn't they afford to buy a few test telly's then...

spiderplant 27-11-2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35872043)
Are you being serious? They never FULLY tested HD output? Really? Couldn't they afford to buy a few test telly's then...

How do you think it became a known error? :rolleyes:

fenman35 27-11-2016 10:48

Of the 6 tuners how many are reserved for recordings/on demand and how many available for live TV Can you still have 3 tuners buffering live TV?

RobboEdin 27-11-2016 14:07

It's exactly the same as TiVo as regards Live TV. All six tuners buffer and are used for recording. No tuner reserved for Live TV.

OhReally 27-11-2016 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35872076)
How do you think it became a known error? :rolleyes:

They pushed them out to the public and THEN the complaints started rolling in. It doesn't bode well, after all HDMI is a standard and has been for years.

If they can't catch simple output handshaking errors in internal testing...:dozey:

1andrew1 28-11-2016 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35871973)

I totally agree. But in Richard's case it sounds he was stuck between a rock and a hard place so he rationally chose the unknown issues of the V6 against his known issues with the Tivo.

RichardCoulter 16-12-2016 14:33

You've hit the nail on the head Andrew.

Today the sound suddenly disappeared on all services; a reboot cured it though.

The problem of sporadic white audio noise continues, albeit very occasionally.

Mad Max 16-12-2016 16:01

Glad i'm waiting

bolgerp 06-01-2017 09:53

There seems to be three separate threads regarding V6 issues. I've picked this one... hopefully people will pick it up.

Anyhoooooo.... I had my lovely V6 installed before Christmas. generally I am very pleased with it. I only have one box so haven't been able to try out any of the streaming options. Also, I haven't tried streaming/downloading to the app yet either.

However, I have noticed that I have had to reboot this box a few times because it got "stuck" whilst waking up. This has happened 4 times since I received it and twice alone this week. Has anyone else noticed this with their box? It's not a huge inconvenience but I never had to do this with my TiVo box. Perhaps it's been trying to update software or something.

Anyway, as I said, not a huge problem. I'm just curious if anyone else has observed the same issues.

spiderplant 06-01-2017 10:21

Yes, it's a known software issue. I expect it'll be fixed by a software update so bear with it for now. You could also try disabling power-saving in the Settings->Devices menu

bolgerp 06-01-2017 10:30

Ahhh....cheers for that tip, Spidey!

daz100 06-01-2017 21:17

My anytime app keeps disconnecting from the v6 over and over not sure if that is a fault?
My vod keeps giving me error 407 is it or 409 since install.

OLDGOLD 07-01-2017 00:16

Quote:

What TVs is this an issue with? Or has this been fixed now anyway?

horno46 07-01-2017 06:46

Is anyone else experiencing erratic behaviour from their V6 remotes? I have two installed and have used one predominantly so far so I'm not sure if it's an issue with both.

jb66 07-01-2017 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35879313)
Yes, it's a known software issue. I expect it'll be fixed by a software update so bear with it for now. You could also try disabling power-saving in the Settings->Devices menu

Is there anyway field technicians can find out this information?

spiderplant 07-01-2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35879435)
What TVs is this an issue with? Or has this been fixed now anyway?

It was first reported on a Sanyo CE32LD47-B, but may well affect other TVs too. Whatever, it's easily worked around by disabling 1080i.

Quote:

Originally Posted by horno46 (Post 35879441)
Is anyone else experiencing erratic behaviour from their V6 remotes? I have two installed and have used one predominantly so far so I'm not sure if it's an issue with both.

Try resetting the remote using the process I posted here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...postcount=2480

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35879443)
Is there anyway field technicians can find out this information?

Simply visit CF ;)

There was talk of getting known errors made available on the PDAs, but that's all gone a bit quiet. I'll make enquiries.

RichardCoulter 16-01-2017 16:30

Over the last few days, mine has ignored four programme delete requests, rebooting it gets them to go away though.

The sporadic white noise is now a precursor to the box going slower and ignoring what you ask it to do with the remote eg tabbing down further than you ask it to.

Again, a reboot clears this. Happens once or twice a week.

ozsat 16-01-2017 16:40

This is something that some SkyQ users are reporting too.
Quote:

Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again

RichardCoulter 16-01-2017 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35880855)
This is something that some SkyQ users are reporting too.

That time was really bad, it has only happened the once though, touch wood.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

For the second time in a week, ive found that it hasn't recorded any daytime programmes. It seems to have stopped after I put it in standby in the early hours of this morning.

The first time that I become aware of this is when I try to take it out of standby as it says something like "waking up" and never progresses.

Again, a reboot gets it going again, but all the programmes set to record are lost.

Could this be a return of the problem where the box fails to record in standby and has to be left on 24/7??

Mad Max 16-01-2017 19:30

Oh dear, not a good start for the V6 then.......

RichardCoulter 16-01-2017 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35880889)
Oh dear, not a good start for the V6 then.......

Nope, just tried to watch one of the programmes that it failed to record via On Demand. In return I get a black screen and silence with none of the buttons doing anything.

Now waiting for another reboot to complete (which will mess up my evening recordings too).

I think you are wise to wait until these problems are sorted out Max.

Mad Max 16-01-2017 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35880899)
Nope, just tried to watch one of the programmes that it failed to record via On Demand. In return I get a black screen and silence with none of the buttons doing anything.

Now waiting for another reboot to complete (which will mess up my evening recordings too).

I always wait when new products first come out Richard, especially things like STB's or anything high tech, there always seems to be problems with software glitches etc, it does seem ridiculous that they have released this box and people like yourself are having to contend with rebooting etc, just not good enough imo, I hope you get things sorted though..

OLD BOY 16-01-2017 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35880899)

Wouldn't a temporary fix not be to stop putting your boxes into standby? I leave mine on all the time and have no problems.

OhReally 16-01-2017 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35880923)
Wouldn't a temporary fix not be to stop putting your boxes into standby? I leave mine on all the time and have no problems.

Wouldn't a better answer be to have actually THOROUGHLY tested before rushing it out before Christmas.

The reply to an earlier posting about "workaround is to disable 1080i" simply beggars belief.

OLD BOY 17-01-2017 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35880925)
Wouldn't a better answer be to have actually THOROUGHLY tested before rushing it out before Christmas.

Well, then you and others would have been complaining about the delay in introducing the new box.

This is a very competitive industry and timing is crucial. Sky have already introduced their Q box, with all its initial faults.

Personally, I am delighted to have received my two V6s, which have made my life a lot easier and improved the quality of my viewing. I really appreciate the increased speed of the box, the connectivity between the two boxes I now have and of course, the six tuners on each box.

Anyone reading these forums would have gone for the early adopter option well aware that updates would be required for issues with the V6 that still needed to be put right. Those who did not want to take that risk, like Mad Max, shouldn't have ordered the box at this stage. Max took the right decision for him, so he's not as mad as all that, is he?

As for the perpetual critics and moaners, I am afraid that they will never be satisfied, no matter what Virgin do.

denphone 17-01-2017 08:07

Quote:

The reply to an earlier posting about "workaround is to disable 1080i" simply beggars belief.

All things are thoroughly tested be it Virgin , Sky or other suppliers but that will never get rid of all the bugs as even now you can get the occasional bug years after a box is released nationwide.

mike_gain 17-01-2017 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35880935)
All things are thoroughly tested be it Virgin , Sky or other suppliers but that will never get rid of all the bugs as even now you can get the occasional bug years after a box is released nationwide.

I can't disagree that the software and hardware is thoroughly tested, but testing just identifies issues. Now whether these issues gets fixed or not before release to the public is another matter. Quite often a fixed release date trumps the desire to fix an issue.

jb66 17-01-2017 10:35

A Dodgy V6 is better than a good Tivo

1andrew1 17-01-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35880934)
Well, then you and others would have been complaining about the delay in introducing the new box.

This is a very competitive industry and timing is crucial. Sky have already introduced their Q box, with all its initial faults.

Personally, I am delighted to have received my two V6s, which have made my life a lot easier and improved the quality of my viewing. I really appreciate the increased speed of the box, the connectivity between the two boxes I now have and of course, the six tuners on each box.

Anyone reading these forums would have gone for the early adopter option well aware that updates would be required for issues with the V6 that still needed to be put right. Those who did not want to take that risk, like Mad Max, shouldn't have ordered the box at this stage. Max took the right decision for him, so he's not as mad as all that, is he?

As for the perpetual critics and moaners, I am afraid that they will never be satisfied, no matter what Virgin do.

Exactly Old Boy, VM are damned if they do, damned if they don't!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35880948)

You nailed it in nine words! :)
Especially as SCART lovers just need to fork out £20 for a converter on Amazon.

Salu 17-01-2017 15:22

I've found that it freezes momentarily for maybe 0.5 of a second then carries on. First noticed this in iPlayer then watching a recorded programme. In iPlayer the timing of this was almost predictable. I came out of iPlayer and reloaded it and it was ok.
While watching a programme from My programmes it happend a few times then was OK.

Mobes 17-01-2017 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35880953)
Exactly Old Boy, VM are damned if they do, damned if they don't!

You nailed it in nine words! :)
Especially as SCART lovers just need to fork out £20 for a converter on Amazon.

£13 on Ebay so :p:

passingbat 17-01-2017 16:19

Quote:

The same arguments happened with Tivo. OB sums up the sensible choice of every TV subscriber:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35880934)

I had both Tivo and V6 from the get-go and have had zero problems with both.

Interesting that a Sky TV user is the one doing most of the moaning.

Its interesting that Richard has had problems with both Tivo and the V6. I'm not saying this is the case, but does the problem come from elsewhere, i.e. VM's network to his premises or ancillary equipment connected? With such problems, it's worth looking at all aspects. HDMI handshakes often cause problems.

Raider999 18-01-2017 20:49

Changed from sky to virgin last Friday.

Downstairs V6 box has had green background and green tinge on live to and recordings 4 of the 5 days I have switched on since then.

This can be resolved by re-booting the box, however concerned this should not happen virtually every day.

Spoke to CS who knew of the problem on previous TiVo boxes but thought it was resolved.

Engineer coming Sunday am to have a look (although Sod's law says it will be ok then) - visit is mainly to sort out my missing phone line.

I also found this evening I am unable to watch a recording downstairs from the upstairs box - this was quite an important feature for me, which appears not to work for some reason?

OLD BOY 19-01-2017 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35881171)
Changed from sky to virgin last Friday.

Downstairs V6 box has had green background and green tinge on live to and recordings 4 of the 5 days I have switched on since then.

This can be resolved by re-booting the box, however concerned this should not happen virtually every day.

Spoke to CS who knew of the problem on previous TiVo boxes but thought it was resolved.

Engineer coming Sunday am to have a look (although Sod's law says it will be ok then) - visit is mainly to sort out my missing phone line.

I also found this evening I am unable to watch a recording downstairs from the upstairs box - this was quite an important feature for me, which appears not to work for some reason?

I had the same problem with not being able to watch my recordings on the alternative box. Turned out the router was set on the 2.4 rather than 5 setting. CS sorted this out for me from their end and it works now.

Mythica 19-01-2017 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35881202)
I had the same problem with not being able to watch my recordings on the alternative box. Turned out the router was set on the 2.4 rather than 5 setting. CS sorted this out for me from their end and it works now.

There is no reason it shouldn't work on the 2.4ghz setting. In fact I've had it working while connected to 2.4ghz.

OLD BOY 19-01-2017 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35881240)
There is no reason it shouldn't work on the 2.4ghz setting. In fact I've had it working while connected to 2.4ghz.

Certainly, it can work on 2.4 - on two occasions before my router was altered, I managed to get into my other box. However it was unreliable. Now I'm on 5G, the problem I had before has disappeared.

spiderplant 19-01-2017 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35881240)

It depends on signal attenuation, interference and contention. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. In fact it might not always work for you - it worked for OLD BOY initially.

There are good reasons that VM mandate only one V6 on Wi-Fi (and preferably using 5GHz).

Mythica 19-01-2017 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35881245)
You say that, Mythica, but you are having problems, and VM say it should be 5g.

Certainly, it can work on 2.4 - on two occasions before my router was altered, I managed to get into my other box. However it was unreliable. Now I'm on 5G, the problem I had before has disappeared.

I am not sure why you are wedded to the idea that 2.4 is best, but I'm willing to wager that until you relent on that view, you will continue to experience problems.

I've had problems when I switched to both being on 5Ghz too, I've had to reboot everything now I have to see if all works after a few days. While both were on 5Ghz network one box was throwing up the V401 error while the other box was able to watch the recordings. Virgin Media say a lot of things, it doesn't make them true. If it should be 5Ghz then there should be no option to allow streaming or connection of 2.4Ghz.

I never said 2.4Ghz was the best :confused: I said there should be no reason why it shouldn't work on 2.4Ghz. I've basically had everything set to auto in the options of the Hub 3 and both V6 boxes were connecting to 2.4Ghz and to a point were working. It will take a few days to see if connecting them at 5Ghz fixes the issues but like I've said I've already had a error with this setup.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35881248)
It depends on signal attenuation, interference and contention. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. In fact it might not always work for you - it worked for OLD BOY initially.

There are good reasons that VM mandate only one V6 on Wi-Fi (and preferably using 5GHz).

I don't subscribe to this idea that only one V6 on WiFi should be used. I've had almost zero issues with Netflix and YouTube streaming over the Smart TV and phones in the house. I've had zero issues with accessing recordings from TV anywhere from both V6 boxes on the phone over WiFi. Speed tests on WiFi from the phone in the same room give 150Mb+ and there is a very strong signal from the WiFi on the phone downstairs to the Hub 3 upstairs.

I think it's to easy to just say WiFi is the issue when I've basically had zero issues over WiFi for years.

Just to add I didn't say it should work for everyone. I just take issue when people are saying it needs to connect at 5Ghz when as far as I'm aware Virgin Media have not quoted this officially plus it allows and works at 2.4Ghz.

OLD BOY 19-01-2017 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35881250)

I never said 2.4Ghz was the best :confused: I said there should be no reason why it shouldn't work on 2.4Ghz.

Sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent your views, Mythica. I had already amended my post when I read your response.

Mythica 19-01-2017 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35881253)
Sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent your views, Mythica. I had already amended my post when I read your response.

Don't worry I'm more just frustrated in the issues I've had in trying to get the boxes to stay connected.

RichardCoulter 19-01-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35880917)
I always wait when new products first come out Richard, especially things like STB's or anything high tech, there always seems to be problems with software glitches etc, it does seem ridiculous that they have released this box and people like yourself are having to contend with rebooting etc, just not good enough imo, I hope you get things sorted though..

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35880923)

That's what I've been doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35880948)

True, the TiVo became unusable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35881012)
Its interesting that Richard has had problems with both Tivo and the V6. I'm not saying this is the case, but does the problem come from elsewhere, i.e. VM's network to his premises or ancillary equipment connected? With such problems, it's worth looking at all aspects. HDMI handshakes often cause problems.

SP said that it might be a compatibility issue with my TV (Samsung).

It happened again yesterday. First there's a burst of audible white noise, then the sound that it emits when using the remote control stops, then the commands made by using the remote are only roughly carried out eg going further when tabbing down and behaving as though you've pressed enter on something that you don't want. It also runs slower with some purple circling similar to the old TiVo, so whatever it's doing must be using CPU resources.

VM could have commissioned this box much earlier to allow for more testing and for it to be made available much earlier.

Perhaps they were waiting to see what Sky did first??

passingbat 19-01-2017 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35881267)

SP said that it might be a compatibility issue with my TV (Samsung).

It happened again yesterday. First there's a burst of audible white noise, then the sound that it emits when using the remote control stops, then the commands made by using the remote are only roughly carried out eg going further when tabbing down and behaving as though you've pressed enter on something that you don't want. It also runs slower with some purple circling similar to the old TiVo, so whatever it's doing must be using CPU resources.

VM could have commissioned this box much earlier to allow for more testing and for it to be made available much earlier.

Perhaps they were waiting to see what Sky did first??

There are some basic things that you can do (standard first step recommendations for any situation like this).

Try a new HDMI lead (not an expensive one, but not a cheap one, or one that you know works from another connected device).
Try a different HDMI inputs to your TV.
Check that the firmware is up to date on your TV.

That should rule out most potential TV side problems.

OLD BOY 19-01-2017 16:52

I'd add to that, check to see that you have no other equipment nearby that could be affecting performance of the v6.

nialli 20-01-2017 15:51

My V6 just crashed when the 4-hour "Power Save" kicked in (I'd been listening to the radio all day). Took a hard reboot to restart it. Power Save now disabled in Settings

Raider999 20-01-2017 22:57

One of my V6 boxes starts with a green background screen when I press home (rather than black) most days. Recordings and live programmes have an unwatchable green tinge when this happens.

Only way to resolve this is to reboot the box - not acceptable when recording anything.

My other box does not have this splendid feature.

daz100 21-01-2017 08:55

My box would not display any channels this morning. Stated on all channels that they were off air.

I had to reset to fix it but recording were a blank screen.

spiderplant 21-01-2017 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35881413)
My other box does not have this splendid feature.

It's probably a compatibility problem with the TV rather than the box itself. Check the TV firmware is up to date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz100 (Post 35881428)
My box would not display any channels this morning. Stated on all channels that they were off air.

Do you have power saving enabled? If so, switch it off.

muppetman11 21-01-2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35880935)

That's not what you said about Sky Q apparently according to you its problems were caused by Sky releasing it to early. Now a month on or so since launch of the V6 we are seeing varying problems reported what's the difference ?

david_w2k 21-01-2017 12:53

Hello. As per my other posts, overall really pleased with my V6 boxes... However, I have had to do a hard reset a few times now where it either stopped responding to the remote or would not switch on. I assume these are known issues?

denphone 21-01-2017 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35881438)
That's not what you said about Sky Q apparently according to you its problems were caused by Sky releasing it to early. Now a month on or so since launch of the V6 we are seeing varying problems reported what's the difference ?

Sky did release it too early IMO and l stand by that and as for the V6 well we shall see MM.

muppetman11 21-01-2017 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35881450)
Sky did release it too early IMO and l stand by that and as for the V6 well we shall see MM.

So when another provider releases a box and problems are reported they've rushed it out , but when VM release their new box and problems are reported its to be expected as all new things have bugs.:D:D:D

denphone 21-01-2017 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35881454)
So when another provider releases a box and problems are reported they've rushed it out , but when VM release their new box and problems are reported its to be expected as all new things have bugs.:D:D:D

Time will tell whether Virgin have rushed their new box out so wait 6 months and l will give you a blow by blow whether that has proven to be the case.:)

1andrew1 21-01-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35881450)

I think it's documented that the V6 was due to be released at the turn of this year whilst Sky Q's launch was brought forward from Summer 2016 to February 2016 in response to BT's 4K box launching back in August 2015.
Whether the V6 launched on its scheduled date has fewer, more or about the same number of bugs as Sky Q launched in advance of its original scheduled release date I can't say.

muppetman11 21-01-2017 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35881455)
Time will tell whether Virgin have rushed their new box out so wait 6 months and l will give you a blow by blow whether that has proven to be the case.:)

Now you are trying to put words in my mouth , I've never claimed the V6 has been rushed out quite the opposite it seems a nice hardware upgrade.

My point is some of the V6 early adopters are experiencing the teething problems that those early adopters of Sky Q and the Youview next gen UI did.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35881458)
I think it's documented that the V6 was due to be released at the turn of this year whilst Sky Q's launch was brought forward from Summer 2016 to February 2016 in response to BT's 4K box launching back in August 2015.
Whether the V6 launched on its scheduled date has fewer, more or about the same number of bugs as Sky Q launched in advance of its original scheduled release date I can't say.

Why would that make a difference UHD football only launched in August 16 anyway. The Telegraph talked about Sky Q as early as July 15 and speculated then an announcement could come within weeks.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...t-top-box.html

As for problems as I've said the V6 seems a good box my point was teething problems are to be expected with all new technology. Both boxes are a huge upgrade and now offer true multiroom flexibility.

OhReally 21-01-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35881433)
It's probably a compatibility problem with the TV rather than the box itself. Check the TV firmware is up to date.

Have you listened to yourself recently, talk about a VM apologist.

So according to you

wi-fi is so flaky that you can't have TWO boxes on it at once...

it's the tv's fault that the V6 software is buggy as hell...wonder how VM got the software from the telly to affect the V6?

Just accept the fact they rushed it out without proper testing.

denphone 21-01-2017 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35881498)

So according to you

it's the tv's fault that the V6 software is buggy as hell...wonder how VM got the software from the telly to affect the V6?

Good grief you really don't know Spiderplant do you? as he has been on here longer then l can remember and one thing he will always do is give unbiased helpful advice to whoever needs it.

heero_yuy 21-01-2017 18:36

I know myself as a software writer that is is almost impossible to fully test code before release. Even a rigorous software review can still miss things

To say it's fool proof underestimates the ingenuity of fools.

Sometimes an unusual sequence of events can expose that horrid latent bug. I'm sure that Spiderplant and his colleagues are doing their best.

OLD BOY 21-01-2017 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35881498)

So according to you

Don't be ridiculous, OR. I'm sure that spiderplant is right in his diagnosis, and by the way, if you expect new technology to be without glitches, you need to be in the real world.

Oh, and don't be an early adopter.

Incidentally, this advice comes free, and with no obligation. :)

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35881505)
I know myself as a software writer that is is almost impossible to fully test code before release. Even a rigorous software review can still miss things

To say it's fool proof underestimates the ingenuity of fools.

Sometimes an unusual sequence of events can expose that horrid latent bug. I'm sure that Spiderplant and his colleagues are doing their best.

I'll have to remember that one. Ingenious!

100% with you on spiderplant's input. He is a star on this forum, as is Ben Mcr.

daz100 21-01-2017 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35881433)

Power save was off after experiencing the starting up fault.

Mr K 21-01-2017 22:36

So much for saving the planet if everyone is advised to turn off power saving on their boxes....

Mythica 21-01-2017 22:47

What does power save actually do anyway? If power saving is off and you put the box into standby. Does it just act as if the box is in power save anyway?

Mr K 21-01-2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35881554)
What does power save actually do anyway?

It saves power.

OhReally 22-01-2017 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35881500)
Good grief you really don't know Spiderplant do you? as he has been on here longer then l can remember and one thing he will always do is give unbiased helpful advice to whoever needs it.

Nope, I have no personal knowledge of Spiderplant.

All I can go by is his/her posts on here.

Every time a problem is raised it's *always* someone else's fault and *NEVER* VM's

OLD BOY 22-01-2017 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35881567)
Nope, I have no personal knowledge of Spiderplant.

All I can go by is his/her posts on here.

Every time a problem is raised it's *always* someone else's fault and *NEVER* VM's

I think you will find it's an explanation, rather than an excuse.

Time to get over yourself, methinks.

nialli 22-01-2017 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35881500)

+1. Well said sir.

OhReally 22-01-2017 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35881575)
I think you will find it's an explanation, rather than an excuse.

Time to get over yourself, methinks.

Nothing is 100-0, to pretend otherwise ...

nialli 23-01-2017 09:52

All new hardware has bugs or, as one of my engineers once claimed, ‘undocumented features’, and the V6 appears to be no different. Overall I am very pleased with the new boxes and wouldn’t for a moment consider swapping them back for my old Samsung and Cisco TiVo relics, but over the weekend a couple of problems occurred that I’ve posted on the VM Community Boards in threads that suggest the difficulties I have had are not unique.
Power Save
Lots of reports on the Community Forum about this here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3291846
The automatic power save function is the default setting but I strongly recommend that you disable it as it seems to have a life of its own and waking the box from Stand By is often a long and sometimes fraught process, requiring a full shut down and start up if the box locks. I didn’t want my boxes on though all night so I have tried manually putting them into Stand By overnight. Seemed to work but this morning I found that this had led to a failed recording from BBC1 HD reported in Recording Hiccups as “Power Lost”. There was no power cut and the only difference I can see between the successful recording made at 9pm and the failed one at 10.30 was that the box was in Stand By.
According to the V6 User Guide (you don’t get one but it’s online here: https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/...user_guide.pdf) you can’t view recordings remotely on either another box or device if the V6 is in Stand By either.
I can’t find any details of the difference in power consumption between On and Stand By, so I’ve set both my boxes now as Always On until Virgin Media fix it. Of course, there's no longer a need to worry about any impact on Climate Change now that has been finally exposed as an evil Chinese plot... ;-(
Netflix
There appears to be DNS issue if you are using a VM SuperHub in Modem Mode with an external router rather than relying on the SuperHub’s own Wi-Fi. I’ve found my SH2 Wi-Fi to be unreliable so have an Apple Time Capsule as my router. I have one V6 connected directly into the router via Ethernet, a second connected by Wi-Fi.
iPlayer and YouTube worked fine but Netflix failed initially on both boxes, showing an error that said “Application is loading. Netflix is loading onto the TiVo box. Please wait a moment and try starting Netflix again. (V312)”. Turns out I’m not alone and there’s a thread on the Community Board forum on this that suggests it’s a DNS problem. I resolved it for my V6 with the Ethernet connection by turning Modem Mode off on my SuperHub, rebooting the V6 and then Netflix worked. I then switched back to Modem Mode and it still works so that box is fine now.
However I was unable to do that successfully with the Wi-Fi connected box, despite wasting several hours on Sunday running up and down the stairs and rebooting and re-rebooting anything and everything. Still no Netflix on that box, which is annoying as that ain’t connected to a Smart TV and so there’s no Netflix or similar downstairs at the moment.
Neither of these are showstoppers with the V6 but they are annoying and if I continue to get Failed Recordings that will be a serious problem.
Anyone else experiencing similar?

fenman35 23-01-2017 10:02

Sky Q has the same problem coming out of power save. What is it about modern equipment its not as if power save stated in 2016

heero_yuy 23-01-2017 10:12

Our VHD box (Cisco) has the same issue so I only put it in standby (Clock showing) when not in use.

spiderplant 23-01-2017 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenman35 (Post 35881752)
What is it about modern equipment its not as if power save stated in 2016

It's a combination of the power regulations getting more stringent every year, and increased functionality in the boxes.

OhReally 24-01-2017 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35881761)
It's a combination of the power regulations getting more stringent every year, and increased functionality in the boxes.

more stringent every year, and SLOPPY DESIGN

fixed that for you.

Of course as the resident VM spokesperson you doubtless won't agree, but to pretend that a box is incapable of powering up from standby because "it has so much functionality when it's awake" is ludicrous even by your standards :td:

OLD BOY 24-01-2017 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35881883)
more stringent every year, and SLOPPY DESIGN

fixed that for you.

Of course as the resident VM spokesperson you doubtless won't agree, but to pretend that a box is incapable of powering up from standby because "it has so much functionality when it's awake" is ludicrous even by your standards :td:

Clearly, you have never had any responsibility for introducing new technology yourself, or you would realise how mad that sounds. Sky Q has issues too, and as ever these will be sorted out with updates.

Stop being so grouchy and try getting out the other side of your bed in the mornings.

nialli 24-01-2017 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35881894)
Clearly, you have never had any responsibility for introducing new technology yourself, or you would realise how mad that sounds. Sky Q has issues too, and as ever these will be sorted out with updates.

Stop being so grouchy and try getting out the other side of your bed in the mornings.

Earlier in this thread OhReally said that he cancelled VM's TV service a while back, which makes me wonder why he's so vocal here with his negative comments aimed at genuinely knowledgeable posters like Spiderplant and BenMc.
Cable Forum is at its best when threads have helpful advice or constructive debate for VM customers but occasionally there are people who seem to just throw bricks and negativity at those who are actually the good guys :dozey:.

OhReally 25-01-2017 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35881900)
Earlier in this thread OhReally said that he cancelled VM's TV service a while back, which makes me wonder why he's so vocal here with his negative comments aimed at genuinely knowledgeable posters like Spiderplant and BenMc.
Cable Forum is at its best when threads have helpful advice or constructive debate for VM customers but occasionally there are people who seem to just throw bricks and negativity at those who are actually the good guys :dozey:.

It's true I did cancel the tv service, now have a Humax 4000 on freeview.

My other half is "hinting" about getting a Tivo back (had the old real silver box for over 10 years), lots of stuff on here suggest it isn't really ready yet.

Standby my previous comment, if it's genuinely being suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network, then it's seriously broken design wise.

Mr Banana 25-01-2017 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35882036)
It's true I did cancel the tv service, now have a Humax 4000 on freeview.

My other half is "hinting" about getting a Tivo back (had the old real silver box for over 10 years), lots of stuff on here suggest it isn't really ready yet.

Standby my previous comment, if it's genuinely being suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network, then it's seriously broken design wise.

Where has it been suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network?

OLD BOY 25-01-2017 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35882039)
Where has it been suggested that 2 V6's can't coexist on the same wifi network?

Exactly! Mine works just fine.