Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   BoxNation on Virgin Media? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681302)

Chad 22-09-2011 12:34

BoxNation on Virgin Media?

Frank Warren will announce today that his stable of fighters are moving from their long-time Sky Sports home to a channel which quietly popped up on SKY in July – BoxNation.

What is both interesting and unexpected is that the channel will not be a vehicle for PPV fights but will instead be run on a subscription model, pitched around the £10 a month mark.

Warren has apparently said that he will honour the rest of his contract with Sky – a handful of dates running into next summer. Again, that’s hard to square with the birth of BoxNation but given the size of the promoter’s stable, perhaps not impossible to fulfill.

So, what should potential subscribers expect for their money? There is some attractive fare claimed to be on offer. Obviously Warren’s future bills will be on it (other than any used to fulfill his Sky obligations); there’s a supposed three-year deal with Sauerland; Hopkins v Dawson is in the offing plus the potential for some other US fights.

Steve Bunce’s Boxing Hour is set to make a return and there are rumors of a talking heads programme, similar to Sky Sports’ Sunday Supplement offering.
Apparently, there is a commitment to showing action twice a week, without running against other networks’ boxing output.

Less exciting for the boxing purist – but probably good news for the increasing amount of cross-over fans - is that MMA will get an airing.
Fight fans might hope that forum stirrings concerning Sky’s supposed lack of interest in boxing are pessimistic. A Sky source put a positive spin on these developments, saying Warren’s move “will obviously free up money and options for other things”.

The above information was made available today on Boxrec. As some will have noticed from my previous posts boxing is my favorite sport and makes up a large part of my weekly viewing. Essentially BoxNation appears to be a dedicated boxing channel that all fans of the sport simply can't miss. Are there any plans for this channel to be made available to Virgin customers? If not then sadly I will have to join SKY. I've held tight awaiting Premier Sports for over 12 months now and I'm already expecting the same for this new channel.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

EDIT

I've just heard that Talksport have been covering this this morning and apparently Tony Bellew Vs. Nathan Cleverly will be on Box Nation and it will be on Virgin free of charge! Frank Warren is going to be a guest on Talksport tomorrow.

Maybe Box Nation is the channel that has been testing recently?

Media Boy UK 22-09-2011 17:18

re: BoxNation on Virgin Media?

I have ask my insider about BoxNation launching on Virgin Media and I got the following back:

Quote:

I haven't heard anything about it.

muppetman11 22-09-2011 17:40

I can't see this channel being top priority to be honest Chad however I hope for you I'm wrong. I've just checked and it's on Sky channel 456 and says programmes start at 8pm.

Arthurgray50@blu 22-09-2011 22:22

I wouldn't hold your breath on any new channels joining VM, its always 'we are holding talks with various companies'.

With Sky, they give you every channel going, and yes l am with Sky, With VM you cannot gurrantee channels, you can +1, but they are a waste of time.

Chad 22-09-2011 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35303632)
I wouldn't hold your breath on any new channels joining VM, its always 'we are holding talks with various companies'.

With Sky, they give you every channel going, and yes l am with Sky, With VM you cannot guarantee channels, you can +1, but they are a waste of time.

That's what I thought too from previous experience however the Box Nation website does include the Virgin Media icon on their webpage:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4702/boxnation.jpg

An article in The Sun newspaper suggests the channel will be on Virgin:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...to-launch.html

And footage from the press conference for the launch of the channel confirms a distribution deal will be announced for other providers, including Virgin. Watch between 1:50 and 2:15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlh2Vs_JVgc

Whilst we do often hear a lot of rumours about channels coming soon, it's not often a new channel makes it so blatant that they either have a carriage deal with Virgin or one is clearly in the pipeline.

NickDK87 23-09-2011 20:28

Just heard about this on the radio I hope it comes to Virgin.

Just looking through BoxNation twitter if you scroll down someone does ask the question and is answered.

"hi we are working on the virgin channel and will announce shortly"

Chad 23-09-2011 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickDK87 (Post 35304050)
Just heard about this on the radio I hope it comes to Virgin.

Just looking through BoxNation twitter if you scroll down someone does ask the question and is answered.

"hi we are working on the virgin channel and will announce shortly"

Yeah just checked it out myself, looks very promising. Whilst this will become a subscription channel 3 months after launch, some of the live action between now and then that we will get for free on the channel is tremendous.

I just hope my chums on the other thread get SKY Anytime plus some new HD channels. It's about time Virgin delivered some new channels.

Chad 24-09-2011 01:14

I'm 100% convinced the channel will be with us real soon.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...n-the-Box.html

"It is now all systems go for the channel that can be found on Sky platform channel 456 and very soon on Virgin."

Plus if you can be bothered check this out from yesterday morning on Talksport:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/lis.../episode/50951

If you click on 11:00am to 11:30am part of the show and skip through to 27:00 minutes you'll heard Frank Warren confirm to Keys & Gray that this channel will be on Virgin soon.

Sorry to keep going on but I get excited when a channel is coming soon, especially a dedicated channel for boxing.

Can any Virgin staff members confirm if this channel is being mentioned within your office? Frank Warren clearly doesn't have any issues using your logo or dropping your name in the press and on radio. Potentially a done deal or can't you say just now?

Arthurgray50@blu 24-09-2011 18:15

The rumour l have heard is that Boxnation is starting on Sky on 30th Sept FTA for a couple of months before been a pay channel.

VM are still in talks on this channel

muppetman11 24-09-2011 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35304489)
The rumour l have heard is that Boxnation is starting on Sky on 30th Sept FTA for a couple of months before been a pay channel.

VM are still in talks on this channel

It's already on Sky , only broadcasting 2hrs at the moment though.

Media Boy UK 26-09-2011 13:21

RICHARD KEYS APPOINTED AS BOXNATION PRESENTER

Former Sky Sports frontman Richard Keys makes a dramatic return to British television screens on Friday (30th September) when he presents the launch night of the new BoxNation channel.

http://www.boxingrepublic.com/2011/0...ion-presenter/

johnasimmons 30-09-2011 10:29

BoxNation

I am so angry that VM could not sort somthing out to get this channel from launch this evening :(

denphone 30-09-2011 10:45

Re: BoxNation

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35307508)
I am so angry that VM could not sort somthing out to get this channel from launch this evening :(

No surprise there is there.

johnasimmons 30-09-2011 10:50

Re: BoxNation on Virgin Media?

I thought as it is FTA for the first 3 months VM could have done a deal for it...

denphone 30-09-2011 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35307524)
I thought as it is FTA for the first 3 months VM could have done a deal for it...

Yes l agree.

Media Boy UK 30-09-2011 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35307530)
Yes l agree.

Maybe Virgin will still have an free three months but that an later date.

denphone 30-09-2011 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35307558)
Maybe Virgin will still have an free three months but that an later date.

Yes you could be right.

pengedragon 30-09-2011 12:45

very upset that this wont be with us at launch

that will turn to anger if it's not with us by october 15th

Chad 30-09-2011 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pengedragon (Post 35307590)
very upset that this wont be with us at launch

that will turn to anger if it's not with us by october 15th

You can watch tonights live action free of charge via the Box Nation website. Walsh Vs. Appleby begins at 8pm.

I too will not be happy if Box Nation isn't on Virgin by Cleverly Vs. Bellew. If nothing has been announced by the 08th October regarding the channel, I'm off to SKY. I've been assured I can have the mini dish and TV up and running within 4 days of placing my order. I will of course call retentions first and ask for 1Tb TiVo for free, and free installation, or I'm off. If I don't get it, fair enough. If they say yes, then I might just have to go without Box Nation and enjoy my free TiVo.

muppetman11 30-09-2011 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35307599)
You can watch tonights live action free of charge via the Box Nation website. Walsh Vs. Appleby begins at 8pm.

I too will not be happy if Box Nation isn't on Virgin by Cleverly Vs. Bellew. If nothing has been announced by the 08th October regarding the channel, I'm off to SKY. I've been assured I can have the mini dish and TV up and running within 4 days of placing my order. I will of course call retentions first and ask for 1Tb TiVo for free, and free installation, or I'm off. If I don't get it, fair enough. If they say yes, then I might just have to go without Box Nation and enjoy my free TiVo.

I'm confused with your position Chad , you say boxing is your passion and you need Box Nation but if VM offer you a free TIVO you'll stay , is it the box that's important or the content you watch on it ?

gcampbell 30-09-2011 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307614)
I'm confused with your position Chad , you say boxing is your passion and you need Box Nation but if VM offer you a free TIVO you'll stay , is it the box that's important or the content you watch on it ?

I don't get that either - I'm desperate to get Sky Atlantic but cannot get Sky at the moment. If I were in a position to get Sky I'd be off like a shot regardless of what offer retentions made me.

Media Boy UK 30-09-2011 14:41

Update on BoxNation.

I have just found the following on Twitter (Was posted Friday Morning [Today]):

Quote:

@BoxNation456
BoxNation We are still working to launch #BoxNation on the #Virgin platform but as yet it has not been finalised. We will keep you updated.
http://twitter.com/#!/BoxNation456

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Richard Keys has posted the following on his twitter pack under an hour ago:

Quote:

Thanks for all your messages of support - see you on Box Nation tonight at 7. ...Available on Virgin too.

Chad 30-09-2011 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307614)

I'm just messing really, in line with my recent TiVo rants in about 6 other threads! It was a poor attempt at tongue in cheek….witty banter if you like.

If Box Nation doesn't arrive I'm off to SKY. No TiVo box will make me stay.

It's content all the way for me!

pengedragon 30-09-2011 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35307599)

good info, thanks

HD Boy 30-09-2011 16:53

Boxnation coming to Virgin Media in october ?
Quote:

Best of the rest:
Boxing – Bernard Hopkins v Chad Dawson: 15 October (BoxNation)
Bottom of the page
http://www.virginmedia.com/tvradio/t...tober-2011.php

Chad 30-09-2011 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35307735)
Boxnation coming to Virgin Media in october ?

Bottom of the page
http://www.virginmedia.com/tvradio/t...tober-2011.php

Well spotted! Looks like the dream of getting Box Nation is back on:D

johnasimmons 30-09-2011 18:27

Shame - looking like no BoxNation on Virgin this evening :(

HD Boy 30-09-2011 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35307800)
Shame - looking like no BoxNation on Virgin this evening :(

Have you read the post above ?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35307735-post25.html

johnasimmons 30-09-2011 18:36

I read all of the posts above but I really wanted to see tonights bill, I know it is online but not the same - come on VM, time to pull your finger out here :(

Chad 30-09-2011 20:03

Oh well, looks like the stream on the Box Nation website doesn't work :( What a major let down this has been by all parties involved.

muppetman11 30-09-2011 20:37

Keys should stick to football :D not impressed with his debut.

Chad 30-09-2011 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307880)

I've managed to find a stream online. Keys does seem a little out of his comfort zone. Steve Bunce is trying his best to pull him through his boxing debut. So far it's not too bad. SKY do it slicker however it's only Box Nations 1st night so I'll give them 7 out of 10 so far.

Can we post links to streams here for others to watch? The channel is free anyway so I don't think it'll be considered too naughty? The official link on their own website doesn't work and the channel isn't on Virgin. Alternatively if you want to watch the show, send me a PM and I'll send you the link. I reckon we are about 30 mins away from the main event.

denphone 30-09-2011 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35307744)
Well spotted! Looks like the dream of getting Box Nation is back on:D

Don't get your hopes up too high Chad.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307880)

Well he is not that good even at Football MM.

Chad 30-09-2011 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35307903)
Don't get your hopes up too high Chad.

I've really got little hope these days. I've got a feeling Box Nation will go the same way as Premier Sports.

I've made up my mind that whilst catch-up TV and on demand is great, ultimately there is better programmes out there and they are on SKY. Unless Box Nation launches on Virgin at least 5 days before Bellew Vs. Cleverly I'm off.

For too long I've gave Virgin the benefit of the doubt, and been their apologist, however there comes a time when you need to give yourself a shake and realise that as a Virgin customer you will never ever get access to everything that you want to watch. I actually feel like a bit of a dumb ass for seriously believing Box Nation would have launched by today.

Virgin will blame Box Nation, Box Nation will blame Virgin and caught in the middle is the customer. I'm sick and tired going through this nonsense almost everytime a new channel or HD channel launches in the UK. Will we get it, won't we get it, it's launched on SKY, Virgin say nothing....

muppetman11 30-09-2011 21:11

In the light of them sports listings I can see Box Nation launching on VM.

denphone 30-09-2011 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307911)

You can always rely on the great master being forever the optimist.:D

Chad 30-09-2011 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307911)

I truly hope so. Forget all the crazy B.S. I've been posting in the last 36 hours about expecting free TiVo. If Virgin launch Box Nation, SKY Anytime and all those various HD channels I'll willingly pay to enter into a new 18 month agreement for TiVo 1Tb. I'll need it to record all that boxing and HD goodness. Ultimately it's Box Nation that will swing everything for me. People might think I sound crazy jumping to SKY over a single TV channel, but hey that's how passionate I am about boxing. Boxing is the only programme I watch live, each and every week without fail, as it's broadcast on TV. I'm happy to miss football and happy to record other programmes to what when I like but boxing is my number 1.

Judging from various other forums and threads other "mental" boxing fans are preparing to jump ship too.

muppetman11 30-09-2011 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35307920)
I truly hope so. Forget all the crazy B.S. I've been posting in the last 36 hours about expecting free TiVo. If Virgin launch Box Nation, SKY Anytime and all those various HD channels I'll willingly pay to enter into a new 18 month agreement for TiVo 1Tb. I'll need it to record all that boxing and HD goodness. Ultimately it's Box Nation that will swing everything for me. People might think I sound crazy jumping to SKY over a single TV channel, but hey that's how passionate I am about boxing. Boxing is the only programme I watch live, each and every week without fail, as it's broadcast on TV. I'm happy to miss football and happy to record other programmes to what when I like but boxing is my number 1.

Judging from various other forums and threads other "mental" boxing fans are preparing to jump ship too.

I think you'll be happy as the UKTV HD , Sky Movies Classic and Anytime are arriving and I believe VM will do a deal to get Box Nation.

HD Boy 30-09-2011 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307943)
I think you'll be happy as the UKTV HD , Sky Movies Classic and Anytime are arriving and I believe VM will do a deal to get Box Nation.

and maybe ITV 2,3,4 HD in november

Chad 30-09-2011 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35307949)

The more HD the better! I don't think you'll find anyone who would disagree. Keep us posted over at the Coming Soon thread with any updates or insights you receive.

muppetman11 30-09-2011 22:38

Massive fight respect to Walsh and Appleby.

Chad 30-09-2011 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35307970)
Massive fight respect to Walsh and Appleby.

A real great show by both fighters. They gave it all. A real contender for British fight of the year.

A super opening night by Box Nation, enjoyed by virtually zero Virgin customers:( It's a shame and disgrace that 4 million Virgin TV customers didn't get the chance to see this.

denphone 01-10-2011 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35307949)

Well lets get October over first.

---------- Post added at 06:46 ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35307974)
A real great show by both fighters. They gave it all. A real contender for British fight of the year.

A super opening night by Box Nation, enjoyed by virtually zero Virgin customers:( It's a shame and disgrace that 4 million Virgin TV customers didn't get the chance to see this.

Yes l agree but then thats Virgin for you sometimes.

BenMcr 01-10-2011 10:00

Quote:

It's a shame and disgrace that 4 million Virgin TV customers didn't get the chance to see this.

Except to be fair it wouldn't have been 4 million would it. Not every single Virgin customer (or Sky customer for that matter) would have been watching it

Arthurgray50@blu 01-10-2011 11:41

I like to watch boxing, and wrestling etc, but there is no gurrantee that it will come to VM.
All you will get is 'faked' American crap, but when l was a kid, you would get British wrestling at its best, so we could get a channel for that.

BUT, if VM are expecting Box Nation to come soon, they will have a long time waiting for it.:(

HD Boy 01-10-2011 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35308142)
I like to watch boxing, and wrestling etc, but there is no gurrantee that it will come to VM.
All you will get is 'faked' American crap, but when l was a kid, you would get British wrestling at its best, so we could get a channel for that.

BUT, if VM are expecting Box Nation to come soon, they will have a long time waiting for it.:(

Go to this page
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35307735-post25.html

denphone 01-10-2011 11:45

Well we shall see.

Arthurgray50@blu 01-10-2011 12:22

All members know that IT might be on that date, but you know VM, a tech fault may come up and you won't see it, come on this is VM we are talking about here, not Sky.

muppetman11 02-10-2011 16:05

Quote:

It's the same for VM MMA fans whose only option was to watch online

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...#disqus_thread

Chad 02-10-2011 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35308825)
It's the same for VM MMA fans whose only option was to watch online

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...#disqus_thread

Yeah I feel sorry for the MMA fans too. It's a real shame when you've got to seriously consider online streams or illegal measures to watch the sport you love because even though you pay full wack to your cable provider, they still can't provide you with the content you'd like to see.

I'm currently downloading a DVD of last nights Box Nation event from Germany. 7.5Gb dual layer DVD!

It's times like these that I feel piracy is justified. Premier Sports, Box Nation and Virgin Media one way or another are to blame. It's shocking.

Chad 02-10-2011 18:42

I e-mailed Box Nation regarding the channel launching and received the following reply from the Box Nation sales team:

"Many thanks for your interest in BoxNation on your Virgin Box. We are working very hard to arrange this for you, please keep up to date with all the latest info and follow us on twitter @boxnationtv or visit www.boxnation.tv."

denphone 02-10-2011 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35308891)
I e-mailed Box Nation regarding the channel launching and received the following reply from the Box Nation sales team:

"Many thanks for your interest in BoxNation on your Virgin Box. We are working very hard to arrange this for you, please keep up to date with all the latest info and follow us on twitter @boxnationtv or visit www.boxnation.tv."

Not committing though are they.

Chad 02-10-2011 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35308952)
Not committing though are they.

Nope. Nathan Cleverly Vs. Tony Bellew plus Bernard Hopkins Vs. Chad Dawson are live on Box Nation on 15th October 2011.

If I've not heard anything concrete about the channel coming to Virgin by the 09th October then I'm off to SKY. SKY assured me install will only take 4 or 5 days so I'll call them on the 09th, pay my £10.00 and hey presto Box Nation.

Seeing Premier Sports which launched 16 months ago never appeared on Virgin, I've got fears about Box Nation and other future channel launches. Whilst catch-up TV and broadband from Virgin are great I've finally realised I've been accepting second best on the TV front now for sometime.

I've been incredibly loyal and always trusted Virgin to come good in the end however their deals to secure new linear channels always crawl on at a turtles pace whilst 99% of the time the channels are on SKY from launch. I really shouldn't moan at Virgin. As a customer I have a choice of provider. I'm just disappointed in myself for giving Virgin the benefit of the doubt for so long.

I took a new 12 month contract when I upgraded to SKY Sports and SKY Movies HD last August. I think it's absolutely incredible that since Virgin first announced on the 04th June 2010 that SKY Anytime would be coming to Virgin it still hasn't launched. It might be on the horizon but that's 16 months. I've both entered into a new contact, and it has expired during this period!

Digital Fanatic 02-10-2011 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35308963)
Nope. Nathan Cleverly Vs. Tony Bellew plus Bernard Hopkins Vs. Chad Dawson are live on Box Nation on 15th October 2011.

If I've not heard anything concrete about the channel coming to Virgin by the 09th October then I'm off to SKY. SKY assured me install will only take 4 or 5 days so I'll call them on the 09th, pay my £10.00 and hey presto Box Nation.

Seeing Premier Sports which launched 16 months ago never appeared on Virgin, I've got fears about Box Nation and other future channel launches. Whilst catch-up TV and broadband from Virgin are great I've finally realised I've been accepting second best on the TV front now for sometime.

I've been incredibly loyal and always trusted Virgin to come good in the end however their deals to secure new linear channels always crawl on at a turtles pace whilst 99% of the time the channels are on SKY from launch. I really shouldn't moan at Virgin. As a customer I have a choice of provider. I'm just disappointed in myself for giving Virgin the benefit of the doubt for so long.

I took a new 12 month contract when I upgraded to SKY Sports and SKY Movies HD last August. I think it's absolutely incredible that since Virgin first announced on the 04th June 2010 that SKY Anytime would be coming to Virgin it still hasn't launched. It might be on the horizon but that's 16 months. I've both entered into a new contact, and it has expired during this period!

Adding Sky Sports shouldn't recontract you, unless you changed to another package or "deal".

Chad 02-10-2011 21:11

EDIT:

After posting the above rant I've just been on Twitter. Box Nation have made the following tweet:

"news on Virgin coming soon"

Of course this could mean a deal couldn't be done, or the channel won't launch until it becomes a subscription channel.

I'm getting a little tired of all the vague news from both parties.

HD Boy 02-10-2011 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35308971)
EDIT:

After posting the above rant I've just been on Twitter. Box Nation have made the following tweet:

"news on Virgin coming soon"

Of course this could mean a deal couldn't be done, or the channel won't launch until it becomes a subscription channel.

I'm getting a little tired of all the vague news from both parties.

Could the sporting highlights on virgin media website be right after all ?
I think the reason premier sports is not on Virgin Media because they are trying to get in the XL pack

Chad 02-10-2011 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35308966)
Adding Sky Sports shouldn't recontract you, unless you changed to another package or "deal".

Well technically what happened was I went from VIP20 to VIP50 because I wanted access to SKY Movies and SKY Sports in HD. I seem to remember it worked out cheaper for me to get VIP50 rather than VIP20 plus £7.00 premium HD charge.

denphone 02-10-2011 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35308974)
I think the reason premier sports is not on Virgin Media because they are trying to get in the XL pack

Well thats just speculation.:)

Chad 02-10-2011 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35308974)

I really hope so. It would be difficult for Virgin to explain why they have "Boxing – Bernard Hopkins v Chad Dawson: 15 October (BoxNation)" listed as one of their Sports TV highlights in October if they didn't intend carrying the channel.

How long does it take Virgin to launch a channel? Can they launch it with 7 days notice, 10 days notice, 14 days notice etc...? How realistic is it to expect the channel to launch in 13 days if a deal hasn't yet been finalised?

HD Boy 02-10-2011 21:22

Well FIVE HD launched before a press release

Chad 02-10-2011 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35308981)
Well FIVE HD launched before a press release

Very true however I wonder how many days or weeks before launch Virgin and Five agreed the carriage deal.

Let's say Virgin and Box Nation agree a deal tomorrow, can the channel realistically be up and running by the 15th October? This is more of a question aimed at a member of Virgin staff, or someone that has previous inside knowledge or experience of channel launches. Media Boy, can you help on this one?

HD Boy 02-10-2011 21:37

I remember virgin media saying on twitter that if they signed a deal for any channel they could launch the week after

denphone 02-10-2011 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35308985)
Very true however I wonder how many days or weeks before launch Virgin and Five agreed the carriage deal.

Let's say Virgin and Box Nation agree a deal tomorrow, can the channel realistically be up and running by the 15th October? This is more of a question aimed at a member of Virgin staff, or someone that has previous inside knowledge or experience of channel launches. Media Boy, can you help on this one?

l really do hope thay Box Nation comes on Virgin for you Chad as it will be sad to lose you to the other side.

HD Boy 02-10-2011 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35308990)
it will be sad to lose you to the other side.

Don't you mean the dark side :D

denphone 02-10-2011 21:45

Ah Muppetman and his minions.;)

Media Boy UK 02-10-2011 21:46

Quote:

I think the launches date can happen the next day if virgin want it do but that is unlike to happen.

55% of me think it up to that broadcaster when they launch.

muppetman11 02-10-2011 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35308993)
Ah Muppetman and his minions.;)

I'll pay my money to any company which provides me the best service with the channels I require and that is currently Sky.

denphone 02-10-2011 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35308997)
I'll pay my money to any company which provides me the best service with the channels I require and that is currently Sky.

And you have every right to do that and l for one will never criticise you.:)

muppetman11 02-10-2011 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35308999)
And you have every right to do that and l for one will never criticise you.:)

I know :)

Chad 02-10-2011 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35308997)

Totally agree. I was happy with Virgin based on their overall offering however now I've realised it's linear channels I want. Whilst I'll miss catch-up TV, I can still access iPlayer, STV Player, Demand 5 and 4 OD via my laptop hooked up to my TV. Not the best but still free of charge. Also I've finally realised that I really don't need 50Mb broadband. SKY's broadband won't come anywhere near what I've got but I will be able to access Anytime +.

When I think back from when I lived with my parents to now, one way or another I've had access to Telewest / Virgin services for about 16 years. The first time we got cable it was installed on Christmas Eve back in 1995. It was the first time we had access to SKY or any form of pay TV. Some might think this is really sad however the day we got cable was one of the best days I can remember. That day was better than Christmas. We jumped from 4 channel TV to about 50 channels and it was great. Finally I could watch the Simpsons, finally I could watch Rangers live on TV, finally I could watch WWF and finally I could watch some of the biggest fights in boxing. I think it's that kind of memory that built my fondness for cable, Telewest then Virgin. Even when my Mum and Dad switched to SKY I kept cable and then got the internet installed in my bedroom too.

If Virgin could just deliver the things that I'm looking for quicker, they'd genuinely have a customer for life. I think it's visiting forums like these that have highlighted just what I'm missing over at SKY, and how long and drawn out channel launches can be on Virgin with little or no communication to their expecting customers.

HD Boy 02-10-2011 22:12

Will you stay with virgin media if Boxnation comes this month. Which is a big IF

"Nick_London" over at digital spy has posted this
Quote:

I asked that office myself and they said there are no plans to launch any new channels and the only confirmed channels are the UKTV HD channels as well as ITV HD channels and Sky Atlantic is still to be negotiated with the broadcaster.

Reason for the lack of channels is because some channels are restricted to Sky only due to Sky carriage contract terms other reasons are because Virgin Media don't feel that there is a big demand for them.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-page-186.html

Chad 02-10-2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Boy (Post 35309007)
Will you stay with virgin media if Boxnation comes this month. Which is a big IF

To stay with Virgin I need 100% confirmation that Box Nation will be launching. If I've not had confirmation by the 09th October then I need to go to SKY.

Virgin are on the brink of delivering plenty of new HD channels, and SKY Anytime, which really excites me but without Box Nation it'll all be a let down. I'll be able to get all of the above from SKY within the next 10 days, plus plenty more HD channels. The truth is though I'd rather get them from Virgin.

For people who think I'm mad or don't fully understand how aggrieved I feel, imagine a channel launched solely dedicated to your hobby and passion and you can't get access to it because your TV provider don't carry the channel. I'm in no doubt discussions have happened between Box Nation and Virgin however how many other channels have been in negotiations for years without their channel every launching? There is only 1 way I can guarantee myself access to Box Nation and that is by joining SKY. I don't want to rely on illegal streams and downloads to watch the channel.

HD Boy 02-10-2011 22:41

I don't think your mad. I fully understand you

alwaysabear 03-10-2011 18:29

I don't think your mad I understand exactly where your coming from.

Digital Fanatic 03-10-2011 19:57

Quote:

It's possible.

Chad 03-10-2011 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35309480)
It's possible.

Cheers DF, I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed!

LexDiamond 04-10-2011 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35309006)
Totally agree. I was happy with Virgin based on their overall offering however now I've realised it's linear channels I want. Whilst I'll miss catch-up TV, I can still access iPlayer, STV Player, Demand 5 and 4 OD via my laptop hooked up to my TV. Not the best but still free of charge. Also I've finally realised that I really don't need 50Mb broadband. SKY's broadband won't come anywhere near what I've got but I will be able to access Anytime +.

When I think back from when I lived with my parents to now, one way or another I've had access to Telewest / Virgin services for about 16 years. The first time we got cable it was installed on Christmas Eve back in 1995. It was the first time we had access to SKY or any form of pay TV. Some might think this is really sad however the day we got cable was one of the best days I can remember. That day was better than Christmas. We jumped from 4 channel TV to about 50 channels and it was great. Finally I could watch the Simpsons, finally I could watch Rangers live on TV, finally I could watch WWF and finally I could watch some of the biggest fights in boxing. I think it's that kind of memory that built my fondness for cable, Telewest then Virgin. Even when my Mum and Dad switched to SKY I kept cable and then got the internet installed in my bedroom too.

If Virgin could just deliver the things that I'm looking for quicker, they'd genuinely have a customer for life. I think it's visiting forums like these that have highlighted just what I'm missing over at SKY, and how long and drawn out channel launches can be on Virgin with little or no communication to their expecting customers.

Just move. There isn't anyway VM could do what you want in the last paragraph you wrote. If it is not Boxnation then it will be something else. If it is not something else then Sky will make something new and then it is that thing.

I never thought I would get Sky as my TV provider but I did last week. Some things I will miss but on the other hand Sky are 100% transparent. All services available to all customers that can receive them. You know exactly what you get.

pengedragon 05-10-2011 14:15

i asked the question on twitter yesterday and was told "there are no current plans" to get this on

looks like i'll be looking for illegal streams then, great

HD Boy 05-10-2011 14:17

Quote:

@boxnationtv Yous still in talks with virgin? Cant wait for this channel wanted to watch the World Amateurs though :(
Quote:

@HaydenOConnor we are working very hard with virgin to get this sorted
http://twitter.com/#!/boxnationtv

denphone 05-10-2011 14:18

Well the proof is in the pudding and so far nothing has arrived.

pengedragon 05-10-2011 14:22

yeah i asked virgin rather than boxnation and it doesnt look good

denphone 05-10-2011 14:35

No there has been nothing concrete said at the present moment

powerfulpeanuts 06-10-2011 20:48

i am new to CF but cracking website, been following the boxnation debate with interest.

i am literally tearing my hair out, i have been waiting all year for bellew vs cleverly. gutted that i going to miss it as i'm on VM.

i want to pay for it and enjoy it but looks like i won't get the chance. hate asking as i do like to do things above board, but on the night will any of you guys be putting up links to streams? ...i not even got any pals with sky to go around to their place. got a cousin but not a boxing fan so can't see him wanting me in his living room shouting and screaming.

i am moving house in a few months and this makes me think i will get sky when i do. what is the hold up? the channel is on, surely VM just need to show it, it's free so no hassle with people signing up for now.

denphone 06-10-2011 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pengedragon (Post 35310542)
yeah i asked virgin rather than boxnation and it doesnt look good

No it does not look good at the moment for Virgin to get Box nation.

HD Boy 06-10-2011 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35311520)
No it does not look good at the moment for Virgin to get Box nation.

I agree

Chad 06-10-2011 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerfulpeanuts (Post 35311502)
i am new to CF but cracking website, been following the boxnation debate with interest.

i am literally tearing my hair out, i have been waiting all year for bellew vs cleverly. gutted that i going to miss it as i'm on VM.

i want to pay for it and enjoy it but looks like i won't get the chance. hate asking as i do like to do things above board, but on the night will any of you guys be putting up links to streams? ...i not even got any pals with sky to go around to their place. got a cousin but not a boxing fan so can't see him wanting me in his living room shouting and screaming.

i am moving house in a few months and this makes me think i will get sky when i do. what is the hold up? the channel is on, surely VM just need to show it, it's free so no hassle with people signing up for now.

I can point you in the direction of a stream on the night. Alternatively, depending on how you view these type of things, I can point you in the direction of 2 boxing torrent sites that will have the fight available for download within 12 hours of broadcast.

I, like you, want to keep things legitimate and above board however sometimes you've got to bend the rules a little. I have heard however that Box Nation WILL be streaming the fight on their own website.

Send me a PM nearer the time and I'll try and help you out.

powerfulpeanuts 06-10-2011 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35311575)
I can point you in the direction of a stream on the night. Alternatively, depending on how you view these type of things, I can point you in the direction of 2 boxing torrent sites that will have the fight available for download within 12 hours of broadcast.

I, like you, want to keep things legitimate and above board however sometimes you've got to bend the rules a little. I have heard however that Box Nation WILL be streaming the fight on their own website.

Send me a PM nearer the time and I'll try and help you out.

thanks for that, really appreciate it.

i will let you know nearer the time, until then i will keep my fingers and toes crossed that boxnation and VM do a deal.

without being cheeky, is there a torrent of walsh vs appleby as i missed that and nothing on youtube, reports said it was a cracking bout. but i was stuck with no way to watch it. gutted.

thanks for all your help.

Chad 07-10-2011 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerfulpeanuts (Post 35311582)
thanks for that, really appreciate it.

i will let you know nearer the time, until then i will keep my fingers and toes crossed that boxnation and VM do a deal.

without being cheeky, is there a torrent of walsh vs appleby as i missed that and nothing on youtube, reports said it was a cracking bout. but i was stuck with no way to watch it. gutted.

thanks for all your help.

Well BoxNation have just confirmed the following on Twitter:

"Cleverly Bellew fight live on the Internet next week"

So finally they'll have their online stream up and running, and it's totally free!

I also noticed the following post too:

"More big news coming soon"

Now this could be a few things really. After checking Boxrec and various other forums neither Frank Warren or Sauerland Promotions over in Germany have any really big cards coming up that haven't yet officially been announced. I do however remember reading that Frank Warren / BoxNation also have a content deal with Golden Boy Promotions so here is what could be this "big news" which is coming soon:

1. BoxNation will be showing Manny Pacquiao Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez on the 12th November 2011.

2. BoxNation will be showing Amir Khan Vs. Lamont Peterson on 10th December 2011.

3. BoxNation have secured further content deals with the likes of Don King, Lou DiBella, Gary Shaw, Dan Goossen and Top Rank (However I beleive Premier Sports has a deal to broadcast the next 10 Top Rank shows).

4. BoxNation have finally agreed a deal with Virgin Media...... or Top Up TV!

denphone 07-10-2011 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35311938)
Well BoxNation have just confirmed the following on Twitter:

"Cleverly Bellew fight live on the Internet next week"

So finally they'll have their online stream up and running, and it's totally free!

I also noticed the following post too:

"More big news coming soon"

Now this could be a few things really. After checking Boxrec and various other forums neither Frank Warren or Sauerland Promotions over in Germany have any really big cards coming up that haven't yet officially been announced. I do however remember reading that Frank Warren / BoxNation also have a content deal with Golden Boy Promotions so here is what could be this "big news" which is coming soon:

1. BoxNation will be showing Manny Pacquiao Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez on the 12th November 2011.

2. BoxNation will be showing Amir Khan Vs. Lamont Peterson on 10th December 2011.

3. BoxNation have secured further content deals with the likes of Don King, Lou DiBella, Gary Shaw, Dan Goossen and Top Rank (However I beleive Premier Sports has a deal to broadcast the next 10 Top Rank shows).

4. BoxNation have finally agreed a deal with Virgin Media...... or Top Up TV!

Well we will find out next week Chad one way or other.

Chad 07-10-2011 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35311998)
Well we will find out next week Chad one way or other.

I'd like to know in the next 48 hours. I need to phone SKY no later than Monday morning if I want my minidish intalled in time for next Saturdays live boxing.

I'm totally in 2 minds. If I can watch all live action on the BoxNation website via stream between now and the channel going live with Virgin I might be able to stick it out. Only problem is the Mrs. has got SKY Atlantic on the brain since I suggested getting a bucket-lid on the side of the house.

HD Boy 07-10-2011 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35312055)
I'd like to know in the next 48 hours. I need to phone SKY no later than Monday morning if I want my minidish intalled in time for next Saturdays live boxing.

I'm totally in 2 minds. If I can watch all live action on the BoxNation website via stream between now and the channel going live with Virgin I might be able to stick it out. Only problem is the Mrs. has got SKY Atlantic on the brain since I suggested getting a bucket-lid on the side of the house.

Wait until a week before Boxnation goes a pay channel and if Boxnation is not on Virgin Media join Sky. I have feeling it will be on Virgin Media

Chad 08-10-2011 02:34

Looks like the big news reported on Twitter isn't going to be about the channel launching on Virgin:

"Former European lightweight champion John Murray has confirmed he will fight Brandon Rios for his WBA title in New York City on 3 December."

Found this on the BBC website. As Murray is a Warren fighter the big news will be that this fight plus Cotto Vs. Margarito II is coming to BoxNation.

thatllbeme 08-10-2011 10:05

just sent this to boxnation
im still waiting for virgin media to get back to me about boxnation so can i please have some advise as you should be bale to let me know if a deal is close or am i best to change from virgin to sky? thanks

and got this reply
We are hoping to get this sorted by late November, Hope this helps

HD Boy 08-10-2011 10:24

I have not seen that on their twitter page. Did you email them ?

thatllbeme 08-10-2011 10:36

yeh emailed them via their site contact page

AZIMUTH 08-10-2011 17:35

Wall to wall free boxing by box nation on my free to air cheapo b&q satellite set.£25!

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

why bother with vm when you can get boxnation free on a self setup dish ,cable and settop box from b&q,plus bbc,itv,sky news and 300 more channels on frree to air.took me 3hours to build and receive pics.box nation has been brill with more to come.

Digital Fanatic 08-10-2011 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZIMUTH (Post 35312339)
Wall to wall free boxing by box nation on my free to air cheapo b&q satellite set.£25!

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

why bother with vm when you can get boxnation free on a self setup dish ,cable and settop box from b&q,plus bbc,itv,sky news and 300 more channels on frree to air.took me 3hours to build and receive pics.box nation has been brill with more to come.

Boxnation goes pay per month soon, £10 I believe.

denphone 08-10-2011 18:17

So this rumour that it was going to be free for the first month or two is nonsense.

muppetman11 08-10-2011 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35312362)
So this rumour that it was going to be free for the first month or two is nonsense.

Until the new year I believe.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...42&postcount=8

denphone 08-10-2011 18:28

The question is will it be on Virgins platform in the next week and my hunch is not at the moment.