Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Not driving to work could save £1,000 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705070)

papa smurf 05-07-2017 10:55

Re: Not driving to work could save £1,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906218)
And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

I think they call that a cycle lane. Thanks for the support!

if your not taxed and insured i can't hear you :PP:

Kursk 05-07-2017 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906222)
if your not taxed and insured i can't hear you :PP:

I AM insured (by you) and I pay income tax for road maintenance. Sigh.

You can't hear but you can see that you've provided me with the means to explain it to everyone else :monkey:

papa smurf 05-07-2017 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906227)
I AM insured (by you) and I pay income tax for road maintenance. Sigh.

You can't hear but you can see that you've provided me with the means to explain it to everyone else :monkey:

i've shut my eyes now i'm driving by feel it's ok it's an automatic - income tax for road mtc you can't be paying much the state the roads are in ;)

Kursk 05-07-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906230)
i've shut my eyes now i'm driving by feel it's ok it's an automatic - income tax for road mtc you can't be paying much the state the roads are in ;)

I suggest you stop feeling yourself and grab the wheel.

The lions share of income tax is spent on welfare.

papa smurf 05-07-2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906232)
I suggest you stop feeling yourself and grab the wheel.

The lions share of income tax is spent on welfare.

it's an automatic i sit in the back

spent on welfare :mad: i do enjoy paying for the lifestyle of others 60 inch tvs
beer oclock all day etc etc ohh don't get me started

Kursk 05-07-2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906235)
it's an automatic i sit in the back

spent on welfare :mad: i do enjoy paying for the lifestyle of others 60 inch tvs

Don't be so mean; they have to fill their day somehow ;).

Now, back on topic: I wonder why Taf doesn't complain about bus lanes? Buses are filth emitters and they never stay in those lanes and they pass you on the inside at excessive speed. Allocating that much road space to buses, taxis and motorbikes causes more congestion than the odd 3-metre cycle lane here and there. Ah, but Taf has a bus pass so he wants that inconvenience imposed for his sporadic benefit.

Taf 05-07-2017 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906256)
I wonder why Taf doesn't complain about bus lanes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 34475884)
Around here, whoever designs the layout for buslanes needs shooting:

One buslane stops just before a narrowing of the road.... this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane stops 20 yards before a dedicated left turn lane.. again this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane starts yards after the brow of a humpback bridge, with both the signage and lane invisible until traffic crest the bridge.

Most of the circluation problems are caused by buses at bus stops or buslanes!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35753239)
Otherwise straight roads in Cardiff have become chicanes and slaloms around the bus lanes that appear and disappear all over the place. In dark, wet conditions it's almost impossible to spot the road markings at all, especially for visitors.

On the A48, the hard shoulder on one long stretch has been designated a bus lane primarily to and from a Park and Ride location on the outskirts, but also for other buses and taxis on their way in or out of the city. The speed limit was also dropped from 70mph to 50mph along a big chunk too... to allow buses to merge easier!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35254921)
I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35545678)
A local road, on a busy bus route, has just been marked with parking bays AND cycle lanes on both side, leaving only one, single lane down the middle for 2 way traffic! Don't they measure things before sending out the painters?

Kursk 05-07-2017 14:29

Ah, I get it now, you moan about 'lanes' every couple of years or so? Wow.

Doesn't the use of public money on anything else bother you?

Osem 05-07-2017 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906259)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Around here, whoever designs the layout for buslanes needs shooting:

One buslane stops just before a narrowing of the road.... this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane stops 20 yards before a dedicated left turn lane.. again this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane starts yards after the brow of a humpback bridge, with both the signage and lane invisible until traffic crest the bridge.

Most of the circluation problems are caused by buses at bus stops or buslanes!!
Quote:

Otherwise straight roads in Cardiff have become chicanes and slaloms around the bus lanes that appear and disappear all over the place. In dark, wet conditions it's almost impossible to spot the road markings at all, especially for visitors.

On the A48, the hard shoulder on one long stretch has been designated a bus lane primarily to and from a Park and Ride location on the outskirts, but also for other buses and taxis on their way in or out of the city. The speed limit was also dropped from 70mph to 50mph along a big chunk too... to allow buses to merge easier!
Quote:

I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!
Quote:

A local road, on a busy bus route, has just been marked with parking bays AND cycle lanes on both side, leaving only one, single lane down the middle for 2 way traffic! Don't they measure things before sending out the painters?

Stop complaining about bus lanes FGS!! ;)

This thread is for complaining about bikes and cycle lanes. :D

Kursk 05-07-2017 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35906265)
Stop complaining about bus lanes FGS!! ;)

This thread is for complaining about bikes and cycle lanes. :D

And for complaints about welfare FGS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906235)

Just the other day, I noticed someone jumping the welfare queue. It happens all the time. Stop me if you've heard the anecdote before...

richard s 05-07-2017 19:50

**** country if you are a native English-Welsh-Scottish-British, I wonder if the person who jumped the welfare Q was a native British in desperate need.

Kursk 06-07-2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35906300)
**** country if you are a native English-Welsh-Scottish-British, I wonder if the person who jumped the welfare Q was a native British in desperate need.

Once the handouts are under proper control, the funding for a more efficient road network will be available. The Government is on the job :).

papa smurf 06-07-2017 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906371)
Once the handouts are under proper control, the funding for a more efficient road network will be available. The Government is on the job :).

sounds like hard times ahead for some , good news about the roads though

Kursk 06-07-2017 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906376)
sounds like hard times ahead for some , good news about the roads though

People will be finding out that you can't have the penny and the bun. I think that's likely to focus and change attitudes quite quickly.

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906218)
And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

I think they call that a cycle lane. Thanks for the support!

Cycle lanes on normal roads are still hazards for the motorists. I meant complete physical separation, not a painted lane in a road.