Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Not driving to work could save £1,000 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705070)

Kursk 04-07-2017 13:00

Re: Not driving to work could save £1,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35906104)
Well they built them in my town 12 years ago if i see one a month use it that's it so great use of council tax money.

The policy of encouragement is correct. Adoption of new-fangled hi-tech machinery is always slow in medeival villages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906122)
They built them and they didn't come. That's the problem. And they caused traffic congestion which means more pollution affecting people and the environment.

It is painfully obvious that those who "passionately believe" are a tiny minority pushing their agenda on to the rest of us. And we have to pay for their pipe dreams of course.

You are talking about Cardiff right? Is that the same place that's having a velothon next week to be attended by thousands? No-one is cycling there then. No passion, no interest. Gawd. :rolleyes:

Plenty of minority groups push an agenda feeling they are the most deserving and plenty of taxpayers fund their pipe dreams, we both know that. Public money has to be used for the wider community and encouraging cycling is entirely appropriate though a less obvious benefit to those who are short-sighted.

Osem 04-07-2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906122)
They built them and they didn't come. That's the problem. And they caused traffic congestion which means more pollution affecting people and the environment.

It is painfully obvious that those who "passionately believe" are a tiny minority pushing their agenda on to the rest of us. And we have to pay for their pipe dreams of course.

Correct. People who ride bikes like the flexibility of being able to go where they like and not be herded into bike lanes which have to be a compromise with other road users. We have loads of bikes lanes and even junction treatments to assist them to cross safely around here yet the lycra brigade largely ignore them. I saw one very nearly knocked off the other day after he ignored a red light at a major junction. Yes there are idiots on 2 wheels and 4 but the former will be the ones who pay the biggest price for the mistakes they make.

Kursk 04-07-2017 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35906129)
I saw one very nearly knocked off the other day after he ignored a red light at a major junction. Yes there are idiots on 2 wheels and 4 but the former will be the ones who pay the biggest price for the mistakes they make.

Do you have a couch potato anecdote on everything?

Taf 04-07-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906127)
You are talking about Cardiff right? Is that the same place that's having a velothon next week to be attended by thousands? No-one is cycling there then. No passion, no interest. Gawd. :rolleyes:

A velothon that attracts loads from OUTSIDE the city, upsets both drivers and busroutes with all the closed roads, and is moaned about more than any other city event.

Kursk 04-07-2017 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906140)
A velothon that attracts loads from OUTSIDE the city, upsets both drivers and busroutes with all the closed roads, and is moaned about more than any other city event.

But of course because for ONE day the motorist is disrupted and boy can they moan.

Did you post your moaning when the Champions League disrupted the City, or Justin Bieber, or Robbie Williams, or the Marathon. or the Ryder Cup or any number of other disruptive events? No? Why not?

How much taxpayers money was expended on policing, say, the Champions League game between two foreign teams that apparently brought very little financial benefit to the City of Cardiff?

Bah.

Taf 04-07-2017 16:16

This thread is about how cycling infrastructure affects the city every day, not about a rare occasion such as a concert (which usually only means the closure of one street beside the stadium, the same as for a match).

The disruption caused by the footie was extensively complained about as it went on for days and days and days over large areas of the city.

The marathons close roads for limited periods, and the route means that the closed off streets can easily be avoided.

But the velothon practically cuts the city in half causing pandemonium for all traffic for an entire day. And that includes transport for workers in the city.

Kursk 04-07-2017 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906152)
This thread is about how cycling infrastructure affects the city every day, not about a rare occasion such as a concert (which usually only means the closure of one street beside the stadium, the same as for a match).

The disruption caused by the footie was extensively complained about as it went on for days and days and days over large areas of the city.

The marathons close roads for limited periods, and the route means that the closed off streets can easily be avoided.

But the velothon practically cuts the city in half causing pandemonium for all traffic for an entire day. And that includes transport for workers in the city.

Threads develop; it's the nature of the beast.
An entire day? Goodness me, how utterly unbearable. Motorists:364; Cyclists:1.

So, you wouldn't spend a penny on bike lanes if you were in charge eh?

Paul 04-07-2017 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906157)

No.

Taf 04-07-2017 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906157)

Not a single one.

RizzyKing 04-07-2017 18:40

^ WIth them.

Ken W 05-07-2017 06:22

I am disabled so I cannot use a bike so the only option is to use a car or bus.

OLD BOY 05-07-2017 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35906068)
Public transport can never work. Cost of tickets has nothing to do with it. Whatever routes there could be, are fixed and torturous You could never get from where you need to, to where you need to go to, in one simple journey and in a reasonable time. Eg 5 miles in more than 45mins.

Yes, but this is due to poor design. Routes in some places are tortuous and slow because it would be unprofitable to serve those places off the main route with a dedicated service.

Here in Reading, we do have a good bus service, and the meandering routes tend to be the non primary services. The primary routes are geared to getting people into town quickly. The new mass transit system now being developed, with bus priority and park & ride schemes will reduce the travelling times still further, encouraging more motorists to leave tneir cars outside of the town centres.

The problems with bus travel that people are raising on here are the result of the lack of proper public transport co-ordination and lack of investment. The fact that we have problems now with circuitous routes, buses not going where you want them to go and being a slow means of transport are all reasons why the whole system needs to change.

As for bicycles, they are a pain for motorists, but I can see why some like to use them - I had a racing bike myself when I was younger and travelled quite long distances. However, bicycles and motor vehicles really do not mix, and should be kept separate from vehicular traffic wherever possible.

papa smurf 05-07-2017 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906164)
Not a single one.

nor me ,most cyclists are too arrogant or stupid to use them . cyclists pay nothing into the system so deserve nothing in return when they are taxed and insured and have a vehicle safety certificate i would then consider the options .
and please don't any one tell me the family car is taxed etc that's nothing to do with cycling

Ken W 05-07-2017 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906199)

Here in Reading, we do have a good bus service, and the meandering routes tend to be the non primary services. The primary routes are geared to getting people into town quickly. The new mass transit system now being developed, with bus priority and park & ride schemes will reduce the travelling times still further, encouraging more motorists to leave tneir cars outside of the town centres.

When I need to go to Reading I use the 500 Park and Ride which is suburb and the reliability is spot on time.

Kursk 05-07-2017 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35906159)
No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906164)
Not a single one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35906167)
^ WIth them.

And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906204)
and please don't any one tell me the family car is taxed etc that's nothing to do with cycling

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906199)
However, bicycles and motor vehicles really do not mix, and should be kept separate from vehicular traffic wherever possible.

I think they call that a cycle lane. Thanks for the support!