Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Not driving to work could save £1,000 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705070)

Taf 03-07-2017 10:47

Not driving to work could save £1,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40459482

Cycle lanes in Cardiff are "underused by commuters" but are mainly used for leisure cycling. And they are throwing money we don't have at this "problem".

Hundreds of spaces for commuters to store their bikes during the working day (at a price of course) are planned, but cyclists say the spaces will be too far from their workplace. So they won't use them.

Hire cycles were tried, and failed miserably at great cost to tax payers.

Then they opened bus lanes to bikes, so that now means gridlock when a 5mph cyclist holds up 30mph buses. So what do the buses do? They leave the bus lanes and block the other lanes every time they stop.

Parking fees were increased to push commuters onto buses. Then up went the bus fares.

Paul 03-07-2017 12:45

Re: Not driving to work could save £1,000

The UK simply doesnt have the weather to make cycling to work all the while something people would do.

Who wants to be out on a bike, travelling to work, in the freezing snow & ice, or pooring rain.

OLD BOY 03-07-2017 13:03

Cycling may be beneficial to health (as long as your lungs don't get damaged by the fumes and you don't collide with a motorised vehicle) but frankly, only a minority of the population risk life and limb in this way and it clearly has done very little to ease traffic congestion. Indeed this method of conveyance is a hazard and a nuisance to vehicular traffic, forcing everyone to slow to a crawl and adding even further to traffic fumes.

I have never understood why, when the government subsidise railways with millions of pounds, they do not make more funding available for buses. If fares were a lot cheaper and buses were more convenient and frequent, this would reduce traffic congestion significantly.

It's such an obvious good use of the public purse and I am surprised that the governments over the years have not done more in this area.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35906030)
The UK simply doesnt have the weather to make cycling to work all the while something people would do.

Who wants to be out on a bike, travelling to work, in the freezing snow & ice, or pooring rain.

Yes, this is obvious to those of us living in the real world.

nomadking 03-07-2017 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906032)
Cycling may be beneficial to health (as long as your lungs don't get damaged by the fumes and you don't collide with a motorised vehicle) but frankly, only a minority of the population risk life and limb in this way and it clearly has done very little to ease traffic congestion. Indeed this method of conveyance is a hazard and a nuisance to vehicular traffic, forcing everyone to slow to a crawl and adding even further to traffic fumes.

I have never understood why, when the government subsidise railways with millions of pounds, they do not make more funding available for buses. If fares were a lot cheaper and buses were more convenient and frequent, this would reduce traffic congestion significantly.

It's such an obvious good use of the public purse and I am surprised that the governments over the years have not done more in this area.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Then again so is how useless buses are, no matter how much you spend on them.
They don't go from A to B. It may take several bus journeys to get from one place to another. You have to allow time gaps between each part of the journey. The list goes on. They are bad enough during off-peak hours.

Maggy 03-07-2017 16:15

I thought public transport would get better and relatively cheaper under privatisation..What's gone wrong?

OLD BOY 03-07-2017 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35906034)
Then again so is how useless buses are, no matter how much you spend on them.
They don't go from A to B. It may take several bus journeys to get from one place to another. You have to allow time gaps between each part of the journey. The list goes on. They are bad enough during off-peak hours.

That's because public transport operators struggle to make bus services pay, and so they concentrate on the most lucrative routes.

What we really need is proper public transport co-ordination, with bus routes tendered out, as happens in London. Fares need to be brought down, too, because many baulk at paying four quid for a return journey to their local town centre, which is more than the cost of parking your car.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35906051)
I thought public transport would get better and relatively cheaper under privatisation..What's gone wrong?

It's the way privatisation was introduced that was wrong. It was introduced to be fairer to private sector operators, but the way it was done has reduced services in those localities that once benefited from cross-subsidisation.

What we really need is council officers working out a network of routes and then inviting bids, with subsidies given for poorly used routes. Reduction in fares is also essential if such a system is to succeed.

Kursk 03-07-2017 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906024)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40459482

Cycle lanes in Cardiff are "underused by commuters" but are mainly used for leisure cycling. And they are throwing money we don't have at this "problem".

Hundreds of spaces for commuters to store their bikes during the working day (at a price of course) are planned, but cyclists say the spaces will be too far from their workplace. So they won't use them.

Hire cycles were tried, and failed miserably at great cost to tax payers.

Then they opened bus lanes to bikes, so that now means gridlock when a 5mph cyclist holds up 30mph buses. So what do the buses do? They leave the bus lanes and block the other lanes every time they stop.

Parking fees were increased to push commuters onto buses. Then up went the bus fares.

You're just a lazy git;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35906030)

So are you;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906032)
Cycling may be beneficial to health (as long as your lungs don't get damaged by the fumes and you don't collide with a motorised vehicle) but frankly, only a minority of the population risk life and limb in this way and it clearly has done very little to ease traffic congestion.

As obvious, say, as 'minority participation doing little to ease traffic congestion'? We need more bikes, more bike lanes and less cars and less huge, empty bendy buses :rolleyes:.

denphone 03-07-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35906051)

They promised that after this happened but in quite a lot of places public transport is either poor , expensive or non existent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts

nomadking 03-07-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906054)
That's because public transport operators struggle to make bus services pay, and so they concentrate on the most lucrative routes.

What we really need is proper public transport co-ordination, with bus routes tendered out, as happens in London. Fares need to be brought down, too, because many baulk at paying four quid for a return journey to their local town centre, which is more than the cost of parking your car.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

It's the way privatisation was introduced that was wrong. It was introduced to be fairer to private sector operators, but the way it was done has reduced services in those localities that once benefited from cross-subsidisation.

What we really need is council officers working out a network of routes and then inviting bids, with subsidies given for poorly used routes. Reduction in fares is also essential if such a system is to succeed.

Public transport can never work. Cost of tickets has nothing to do with it. Whatever routes there could be, are fixed and torturous You could never get from where you need to, to where you need to go to, in one simple journey and in a reasonable time. Eg 5 miles in more than 45mins.

Taf 03-07-2017 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906057)
You're just a lazy git;).:.

I drive under 1000 miles per year.

I walk more than that.

I have bus pass, but use it very rarely.

I haven't been on any 2 wheeled transport for decades, and certainly won't again after witnessing how 2 and 4 wheel vehicles interact these days.

Hom3r 03-07-2017 19:49

Not driving to work would cost me far more than £1,000 a year.

My drive door to door is 25-30 mins.

Via bus it would be nearer 1:30 hours, and 3 of them, plus the time they arrive at my work would mean I would arrive 20 mins before the gates opened, or 40 mins late.

Plus I suffer travel sickness.

Paul 03-07-2017 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906057)
You're just a lazy git;).

So are you;).

:cool:

Kursk 03-07-2017 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906073)
I drive under 1000 miles per year.

I walk more than that.

I have bus pass, but use it very rarely.

I haven't been on any 2 wheeled transport for decades, and certainly won't again after witnessing how 2 and 4 wheel vehicles interact these days.

You were recently delighted to receive benefit from the system Taf; there are other sections of the community who would like to benefit from the system too. If you walk everywhere, why take issue with cycling which some passionately believe will help toward problems with obesity, general health, traffic congestion and the environment?

Cycle lanes: build them and they will come :Yes:

RizzyKing 04-07-2017 04:14

Well they built them in my town 12 years ago if i see one a month use it that's it so great use of council tax money.

Taf 04-07-2017 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906096)
You were recently delighted to receive benefit from the system Taf; there are other sections of the community who would like to benefit from the system too. If you walk everywhere, why take issue with cycling which some passionately believe will help toward problems with obesity, general health, traffic congestion and the environment?

Cycle lanes: build them and they will come :Yes:

They built them and they didn't come. That's the problem. And they caused traffic congestion which means more pollution affecting people and the environment.

It is painfully obvious that those who "passionately believe" are a tiny minority pushing their agenda on to the rest of us. And we have to pay for their pipe dreams of course.

Kursk 04-07-2017 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35906104)
Well they built them in my town 12 years ago if i see one a month use it that's it so great use of council tax money.

The policy of encouragement is correct. Adoption of new-fangled hi-tech machinery is always slow in medeival villages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906122)
They built them and they didn't come. That's the problem. And they caused traffic congestion which means more pollution affecting people and the environment.

It is painfully obvious that those who "passionately believe" are a tiny minority pushing their agenda on to the rest of us. And we have to pay for their pipe dreams of course.

You are talking about Cardiff right? Is that the same place that's having a velothon next week to be attended by thousands? No-one is cycling there then. No passion, no interest. Gawd. :rolleyes:

Plenty of minority groups push an agenda feeling they are the most deserving and plenty of taxpayers fund their pipe dreams, we both know that. Public money has to be used for the wider community and encouraging cycling is entirely appropriate though a less obvious benefit to those who are short-sighted.

Osem 04-07-2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906122)

Correct. People who ride bikes like the flexibility of being able to go where they like and not be herded into bike lanes which have to be a compromise with other road users. We have loads of bikes lanes and even junction treatments to assist them to cross safely around here yet the lycra brigade largely ignore them. I saw one very nearly knocked off the other day after he ignored a red light at a major junction. Yes there are idiots on 2 wheels and 4 but the former will be the ones who pay the biggest price for the mistakes they make.

Kursk 04-07-2017 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35906129)
I saw one very nearly knocked off the other day after he ignored a red light at a major junction. Yes there are idiots on 2 wheels and 4 but the former will be the ones who pay the biggest price for the mistakes they make.

Do you have a couch potato anecdote on everything?

Taf 04-07-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906127)
You are talking about Cardiff right? Is that the same place that's having a velothon next week to be attended by thousands? No-one is cycling there then. No passion, no interest. Gawd. :rolleyes:

A velothon that attracts loads from OUTSIDE the city, upsets both drivers and busroutes with all the closed roads, and is moaned about more than any other city event.

Kursk 04-07-2017 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906140)
A velothon that attracts loads from OUTSIDE the city, upsets both drivers and busroutes with all the closed roads, and is moaned about more than any other city event.

But of course because for ONE day the motorist is disrupted and boy can they moan.

Did you post your moaning when the Champions League disrupted the City, or Justin Bieber, or Robbie Williams, or the Marathon. or the Ryder Cup or any number of other disruptive events? No? Why not?

How much taxpayers money was expended on policing, say, the Champions League game between two foreign teams that apparently brought very little financial benefit to the City of Cardiff?

Bah.

Taf 04-07-2017 16:16

This thread is about how cycling infrastructure affects the city every day, not about a rare occasion such as a concert (which usually only means the closure of one street beside the stadium, the same as for a match).

The disruption caused by the footie was extensively complained about as it went on for days and days and days over large areas of the city.

The marathons close roads for limited periods, and the route means that the closed off streets can easily be avoided.

But the velothon practically cuts the city in half causing pandemonium for all traffic for an entire day. And that includes transport for workers in the city.

Kursk 04-07-2017 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906152)
This thread is about how cycling infrastructure affects the city every day, not about a rare occasion such as a concert (which usually only means the closure of one street beside the stadium, the same as for a match).

The disruption caused by the footie was extensively complained about as it went on for days and days and days over large areas of the city.

The marathons close roads for limited periods, and the route means that the closed off streets can easily be avoided.

But the velothon practically cuts the city in half causing pandemonium for all traffic for an entire day. And that includes transport for workers in the city.

Threads develop; it's the nature of the beast.
An entire day? Goodness me, how utterly unbearable. Motorists:364; Cyclists:1.

So, you wouldn't spend a penny on bike lanes if you were in charge eh?

Paul 04-07-2017 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906157)

No.

Taf 04-07-2017 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906157)

Not a single one.

RizzyKing 04-07-2017 18:40

^ WIth them.

Ken W 05-07-2017 06:22

I am disabled so I cannot use a bike so the only option is to use a car or bus.

OLD BOY 05-07-2017 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35906068)
Public transport can never work. Cost of tickets has nothing to do with it. Whatever routes there could be, are fixed and torturous You could never get from where you need to, to where you need to go to, in one simple journey and in a reasonable time. Eg 5 miles in more than 45mins.

Yes, but this is due to poor design. Routes in some places are tortuous and slow because it would be unprofitable to serve those places off the main route with a dedicated service.

Here in Reading, we do have a good bus service, and the meandering routes tend to be the non primary services. The primary routes are geared to getting people into town quickly. The new mass transit system now being developed, with bus priority and park & ride schemes will reduce the travelling times still further, encouraging more motorists to leave tneir cars outside of the town centres.

The problems with bus travel that people are raising on here are the result of the lack of proper public transport co-ordination and lack of investment. The fact that we have problems now with circuitous routes, buses not going where you want them to go and being a slow means of transport are all reasons why the whole system needs to change.

As for bicycles, they are a pain for motorists, but I can see why some like to use them - I had a racing bike myself when I was younger and travelled quite long distances. However, bicycles and motor vehicles really do not mix, and should be kept separate from vehicular traffic wherever possible.

papa smurf 05-07-2017 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906164)
Not a single one.

nor me ,most cyclists are too arrogant or stupid to use them . cyclists pay nothing into the system so deserve nothing in return when they are taxed and insured and have a vehicle safety certificate i would then consider the options .
and please don't any one tell me the family car is taxed etc that's nothing to do with cycling

Ken W 05-07-2017 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906199)

Here in Reading, we do have a good bus service, and the meandering routes tend to be the non primary services. The primary routes are geared to getting people into town quickly. The new mass transit system now being developed, with bus priority and park & ride schemes will reduce the travelling times still further, encouraging more motorists to leave tneir cars outside of the town centres.

When I need to go to Reading I use the 500 Park and Ride which is suburb and the reliability is spot on time.

Kursk 05-07-2017 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35906159)
No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906164)
Not a single one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35906167)
^ WIth them.

And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906204)
and please don't any one tell me the family car is taxed etc that's nothing to do with cycling

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906199)
However, bicycles and motor vehicles really do not mix, and should be kept separate from vehicular traffic wherever possible.

I think they call that a cycle lane. Thanks for the support!

papa smurf 05-07-2017 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906218)
And is that because none of you cycle and therefore see no personal benefit in this for you? Expenditure on cycle lanes won't impact on your usual handouts so there's really no need to fret.

It has nothing to do with motoring in that context either! Car 'tax' is for emissions, bikes don't emit harmful chemicals. Roads are maintained through general taxation and cyclists DO therefore contribute. I know you know this but I've repeated it for thickos who don't.

if your not taxed and insured i can't hear you :PP:

Kursk 05-07-2017 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906222)

I AM insured (by you) and I pay income tax for road maintenance. Sigh.

You can't hear but you can see that you've provided me with the means to explain it to everyone else :monkey:

papa smurf 05-07-2017 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906227)
I AM insured (by you) and I pay income tax for road maintenance. Sigh.

You can't hear but you can see that you've provided me with the means to explain it to everyone else :monkey:

i've shut my eyes now i'm driving by feel it's ok it's an automatic - income tax for road mtc you can't be paying much the state the roads are in ;)

Kursk 05-07-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906230)
i've shut my eyes now i'm driving by feel it's ok it's an automatic - income tax for road mtc you can't be paying much the state the roads are in ;)

I suggest you stop feeling yourself and grab the wheel.

The lions share of income tax is spent on welfare.

papa smurf 05-07-2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906232)
I suggest you stop feeling yourself and grab the wheel.

The lions share of income tax is spent on welfare.

it's an automatic i sit in the back

spent on welfare :mad: i do enjoy paying for the lifestyle of others 60 inch tvs
beer oclock all day etc etc ohh don't get me started

Kursk 05-07-2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906235)
it's an automatic i sit in the back

spent on welfare :mad: i do enjoy paying for the lifestyle of others 60 inch tvs

Don't be so mean; they have to fill their day somehow ;).

Now, back on topic: I wonder why Taf doesn't complain about bus lanes? Buses are filth emitters and they never stay in those lanes and they pass you on the inside at excessive speed. Allocating that much road space to buses, taxis and motorbikes causes more congestion than the odd 3-metre cycle lane here and there. Ah, but Taf has a bus pass so he wants that inconvenience imposed for his sporadic benefit.

Taf 05-07-2017 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906256)
I wonder why Taf doesn't complain about bus lanes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 34475884)
Around here, whoever designs the layout for buslanes needs shooting:

One buslane stops just before a narrowing of the road.... this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane stops 20 yards before a dedicated left turn lane.. again this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane starts yards after the brow of a humpback bridge, with both the signage and lane invisible until traffic crest the bridge.

Most of the circluation problems are caused by buses at bus stops or buslanes!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35753239)
Otherwise straight roads in Cardiff have become chicanes and slaloms around the bus lanes that appear and disappear all over the place. In dark, wet conditions it's almost impossible to spot the road markings at all, especially for visitors.

On the A48, the hard shoulder on one long stretch has been designated a bus lane primarily to and from a Park and Ride location on the outskirts, but also for other buses and taxis on their way in or out of the city. The speed limit was also dropped from 70mph to 50mph along a big chunk too... to allow buses to merge easier!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35254921)
I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35545678)
A local road, on a busy bus route, has just been marked with parking bays AND cycle lanes on both side, leaving only one, single lane down the middle for 2 way traffic! Don't they measure things before sending out the painters?

Kursk 05-07-2017 14:29

Ah, I get it now, you moan about 'lanes' every couple of years or so? Wow.

Doesn't the use of public money on anything else bother you?

Osem 05-07-2017 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906259)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Around here, whoever designs the layout for buslanes needs shooting:

One buslane stops just before a narrowing of the road.... this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane stops 20 yards before a dedicated left turn lane.. again this is where they decided to put a bus stop!

Another buslane starts yards after the brow of a humpback bridge, with both the signage and lane invisible until traffic crest the bridge.

Most of the circluation problems are caused by buses at bus stops or buslanes!!
Quote:

Otherwise straight roads in Cardiff have become chicanes and slaloms around the bus lanes that appear and disappear all over the place. In dark, wet conditions it's almost impossible to spot the road markings at all, especially for visitors.

On the A48, the hard shoulder on one long stretch has been designated a bus lane primarily to and from a Park and Ride location on the outskirts, but also for other buses and taxis on their way in or out of the city. The speed limit was also dropped from 70mph to 50mph along a big chunk too... to allow buses to merge easier!
Quote:

I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!
Quote:

A local road, on a busy bus route, has just been marked with parking bays AND cycle lanes on both side, leaving only one, single lane down the middle for 2 way traffic! Don't they measure things before sending out the painters?

Stop complaining about bus lanes FGS!! ;)

This thread is for complaining about bikes and cycle lanes. :D

Kursk 05-07-2017 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35906265)
Stop complaining about bus lanes FGS!! ;)

This thread is for complaining about bikes and cycle lanes. :D

And for complaints about welfare FGS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906235)

Just the other day, I noticed someone jumping the welfare queue. It happens all the time. Stop me if you've heard the anecdote before...

richard s 05-07-2017 19:50

**** country if you are a native English-Welsh-Scottish-British, I wonder if the person who jumped the welfare Q was a native British in desperate need.

Kursk 06-07-2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35906300)
**** country if you are a native English-Welsh-Scottish-British, I wonder if the person who jumped the welfare Q was a native British in desperate need.

Once the handouts are under proper control, the funding for a more efficient road network will be available. The Government is on the job :).

papa smurf 06-07-2017 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906371)
Once the handouts are under proper control, the funding for a more efficient road network will be available. The Government is on the job :).

sounds like hard times ahead for some , good news about the roads though

Kursk 06-07-2017 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906376)
sounds like hard times ahead for some , good news about the roads though

People will be finding out that you can't have the penny and the bun. I think that's likely to focus and change attitudes quite quickly.

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906218)

Cycle lanes on normal roads are still hazards for the motorists. I meant complete physical separation, not a painted lane in a road.

papa smurf 06-07-2017 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906410)
Cycle lanes on normal roads are still hazards for the motorists. I meant complete physical separation, not a painted lane in a road.

i'm all for that -they can cycle in Europe;)

denphone 06-07-2017 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906429)
i'm all for that -they can cycle in Europe;)

Our roads firstly are not made for cyclists and secondly many of them think they bloody own the roads whilst paying no tax and insurance and even less have the right road skills to ride a bike on the roads IMO..

papa smurf 06-07-2017 20:36

:ghugs::hugs:
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906433)
Our roads firstly are not made for cyclists and secondly many of them think they bloody own the roads whilst paying no tax and insurance and even less have the right road skills to ride a bike on the roads IMO..

:ghugs::hugs:

Kursk 06-07-2017 20:44

Quote:

Cycle lanes on normal roads are still hazards for the motorists.

Interesting that you refer to cycling provision as hazard. Do you think motorists are hazardous to cyclists?

Quote:

I meant complete physical separation, not a painted lane in a road.

So do you support segregated cycle lanes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906433)

Firstly, who says so? The bicycle was invented well before the car;
Secondly, cyclists DO own the roads in the same way as any other road user 'owns' the roads;
Thirdly, read the thread about tax and insurance;
Fourthly, Don't generalise, it makes you look stupid.

denphone 06-07-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906451)
Interesting that you refer to cycling provision as hazard. Do you think motorists are hazardous to cyclists?

Firstly, who says so? The bicycle was invented well before the car;

We are in 2017 not 1717.;)

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Quote:

Secondly, cyclists DO own the roads in the same way as any other road user 'owns' the roads;

In your opinion but not the vast majority...

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Quote:

Thirdly, read the thread about tax and insurance;

Pot calling the kettle black there Kursk.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote:

Fourthly, Don't generalise.

Now unless l am mistaken you seem to be the expert at that as other threads will reveal.;)

Kursk 06-07-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906458)
We are in 2017 not 1717.;)

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

In your opinion but not the vast majority...

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Pot calling the kettle black there Kursk.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Now unless l am mistaken you seem to be the expert at that as other threads will reveal.;)

You have exhausted me with your mumbojumbo :confused:.

denphone 06-07-2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906465)
You have exhausted me with your mumbojumbo :confused:.

l have just made it a bit clearer to you in my last reply as my brain works slower these days.:)

Kursk 06-07-2017 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906467)
l have just made it a bit clearer to you in my last reply as my brain works slower these days.:)

Nope, I'd worked out the references it's the deciphering of the meanings that's confused me. You are too deep for me Den ;)

Matthew 06-07-2017 22:31

I don't feel safe on my bike out on the road now, the cycle lanes around here don't get used and they are in better condition that the roads (mainly as they are paths off the road), on some really busy roads I still see cyclists dice with weather when they cycle path is next to them.

I looked at taking a job that was in walking/cycling distance and was safe and was all ready to give the car up for work but it never did work out, maybe next time.

Gary L 06-07-2017 23:43

Cyclist shoud be like tractors. stop, pull over. and let proper road users get past.

pretend they're cars. slow bloody cars.

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906222)

As if cyclists don't emit emmisions by farting all the way to God knows where they're going. :)

Kursk 07-07-2017 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35906488)
As if cyclists don't emit emmisions by farting all the way to God knows where they're going. :)

Careful papa, Gary is probing you with a bit of covert bum foreplay there. Very sneaky :p:

tweetiepooh 07-07-2017 10:34

Although there are some cyclists who should never be allowed out on the roads and have little regard for other users including pavements and pedestrian crossings if that is what they want to use most are careful even if annoying.

It's when they get into "packs" that the fun really starts. Whether it a group of young fools like I encountered yesterday weaving all over the road even crossing to my side cycling against my direction to the more organised groups in tighter clothing that either bunch up over the whole lane or are snaked out over some distance, both are difficult to get past. I don't care if they are training or racing, they need to be aware of other road users and if necessary pull over and wait.

Yes they have a right to use the road but like all road users need to have consideration for other traffic.

Taf 07-07-2017 14:49

Police helping a cyclist get into the cycle lane.....

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview...7524113209.mp4

papa smurf 07-07-2017 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906556)

if that's the official way to deal with them i'm all for it :tu:

Ken W 07-07-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906564)
if that's the official way to deal with them i'm all for it :tu:

Me as well

Kursk 07-07-2017 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35906533)
?...they need to be aware of other road users and if necessary pull over and wait.

Why? Who are you.......The Queen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35906556)

Police apprehend Motability fiddler might be the more accurate caption.

papa smurf 07-07-2017 16:57

he's not wearing a helmet so if he gets hurt he only has himself to blame

Kursk 07-07-2017 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906569)
he's not wearing a helmet so if he gets hurt he only has himself to blame

I don't think policemen have to wear their helmet when in a motor vehicle.

denphone 07-07-2017 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906567)
Why? Who are you.......The Queen?

Police apprehend Motability fiddler might be the more accurate caption.

As usual a post ridden with your own demonising smearing prejudices..

Kursk 07-07-2017 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906571)
As usual a post ridden with your own demonising smearing prejudices..

I made a fallacious statement in response to a fallacious statement. You haven't commented on the latter revealing your demonising smearing prejudices :sleep:.

denphone 07-07-2017 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906572)
I made a fallacious statement in response to a fallacious statement. You haven't commented on the latter revealing your demonising smearing prejudices :sleep:.

Worm your way out Kursk as usual as l might not be the wisest or cleverest on here but l know what you meant.

Kursk 07-07-2017 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906574)
Worm your way out Kursk as usual as l might not be the wisest or cleverest on here but l know what you meant.

Now you're a mind reader? Stay on topic there's a good boy.

denphone 07-07-2017 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906575)
Now you're a mind reader? Stay on topic there's a good boy.

l always do as l am told as one must respect their elders.;)

Kursk 08-07-2017 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906578)
l always do as l am told as one must respect their elders.;)

How many times have I told you, you're not allowed on the furniture ;)

denphone 08-07-2017 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906722)
How many times have I told you, you're not allowed on the furniture ;)

No l prefer Chippendale rather then the cheap tat you often sit on.;)

papa smurf 08-07-2017 18:54

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906726)
No l prefer Chippendale rather then the cheap tat you often sit on.;)

:naughty: chippendales eh

denphone 08-07-2017 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35906728)
:naughty: chippendales eh

As you can see from my sentence l am talking about something singular rather then plural.;):nono:

Kursk 08-07-2017 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906729)
As you can see from my sentence l am talking about something singular rather then plural.;):nono:

You like sitting on one Chippendale at a time? Still gonna be sore in the end. What are you doing with that finger? :nono:

denphone 09-07-2017 05:41

The mind boggles at you sometimes my dear.:)

Kursk 09-07-2017 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906790)
The mind boggles at you sometimes my dear.:)

Aw shucks, I can't accept that compliment. Your mind is permanently boggled :p:.

denphone 09-07-2017 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35906804)
Aw shucks, I can't accept that compliment. Your mind is permanently boggled :p:.

When you have more grey hairs and a reduction in your working brain cells day by day then you might find that out yourself one day.;)

Kursk 09-07-2017 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906810)
When you have more grey hairs and a reduction in your working brain cells day by day then you might find that out yourself one day.;)

Hopefully, I will also get an uplift to your impeccable manners and demeanour.

papa smurf 17-07-2017 12:26

smug cyclist who thinks he got away with running a red light finds out the HARD WAY why the rules of the road exist

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4n5TRZv3b
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Kursk 17-07-2017 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908149)
smug cyclist

Did you see how smug he was looking? It's no wonder he got knocked off. At least he has video evidence to support his benefits-for-life claim ;).

papa smurf 17-07-2017 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908176)
Did you see how smug he was looking? It's no wonder he got knocked off. At least he has video evidence to support his benefits-for-life claim ;).

it's Canada that's one of those you have to work for a living places, not like here jump off your bike and get DLA ........;)

Kursk 17-07-2017 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908177)
it's Canada that's one of those you have to work for a living places, not like here jump off your bike and get DLA ........;)

Bah. All the cars were on the wrong side of the road anyway. In other news, two Canadian shopping trollies bumped in a supermarket. They were being pushed by very smug shopping trolley pushers (I desperately need a punchline that uses PIP as an anagram....anyone?)

Taf 17-07-2017 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908182)
I desperately need a punchline that uses PIP

Pestered In Perpetuity :(

Kursk 17-07-2017 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35908196)
Pestered In Perpetuity :(

Pessimism Is Prohibited ;)

denphone 18-07-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908177)

Its called PIP now my dear.:)

papa smurf 18-07-2017 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35908347)

they should change it to fiddle or didle

Kursk 20-07-2017 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35908347)

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908371)
they should change it to fiddle or didle

This old man, fiddled DLA
He played the system all along the way
With a nick nack paddy whack
Give it a new name
Now he diddles PIP just the same.
:D

denphone 20-07-2017 13:28

That must have been taxing for a man of your great intellectual ability to compose that ditty so quickly today.;)

richard s 20-07-2017 21:38

Getting back to the main heading: Not driving to work could save you £1000, this would not cover my funeral expenses as I would not risk cycling to work with the amount of traffic on or roads. Ruddy dangerous me thinks.

Kursk 20-07-2017 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35908639)
Ruddy dangerous me thinks.

You are right. A radical rethink to make cycling less dangerous is needed. Kids especially should be out and about enjoying exercise in safety. Lifestyle change is needed fast or obesity and diabetes will see off our children.

papa smurf 21-07-2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908646)
You are right. A radical rethink to make cycling less dangerous is needed. Kids especially should be out and about enjoying exercise in safety. Lifestyle change is needed fast or obesity and diabetes will see off our children.

i've put quite a bit of thought into your excellent suggestion and here is my answer

1 make them with 4 wheels
2 surround with metal box
3 add doors
4 fit power plant at front end
5 get it insured
6 get it taxed
7 pass government approved test to drive it
sorted - and re exercise for kids make them walk to school .

Taf 21-07-2017 12:04

Exercise won't see off obesity and diabetes, diet change will.

3 local schools had their bike sheds removed. as "maintaining them was too expensive".

No-parking zones set up around all 3 schools, plus the new bane of drivers' lives... 20 mph limits.

Local Primaries closed, pupils now have to travel further and further from age 4, often miles not yards. And as several primaries are now switching to "Welsh Medium Teaching" those that do not want to be educated in Welsh have to travel even further.

Free bus pass for under 11's having to travel over 2 miles. Free bus pass for 11 -16's travelling over 3 miles. No bus pass for over 16's in most cases. But if you opt out of a Welsh Medium school that is within those distances, you also lose your bus pass. And to top it all, bus routes have been changing to make them unuseable for pupils.

Kursk 21-07-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908665)
i've put quite a bit of thought into your excellent suggestion and here is my answer

1 make them with 4 wheels
2 surround with metal box
3 add doors
4 fit power plant at front end
5 get it insured
6 get it taxed
7 pass government approved test to drive it
sorted - and re exercise for kids make them walk to school .

1 Get stuffed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35908687)
Exercise won't see off obesity and diabetes, diet change will.

I mentioned a "lifestyle" change which includes a change in diet, supplemented with exercise which will improve general health including controlling weight and therefore lessening exposure to diabetes.

papa smurf 21-07-2017 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908702)

1 Get stuffed

I mentioned a "lifestyle" change which includes a change in diet, supplemented with exercise which will improve general health including controlling weight and therefore lessening exposure to diabetes.

would you be interested in heading up the brexit team

Kursk 21-07-2017 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908704)
would you be interested in heading up the brexit team

Mais oui mon ami, se gratter les frogs!:D

richard s 21-07-2017 14:11

Not really answer.. should make the cycles fly that way they can miss all the traffic jams and the A holes out there that should not even be on the road...

papa smurf 21-07-2017 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35908713)
Not really answer.. should make the cycles fly that way they can miss all the traffic jams and the A holes out there that should not even be on the road...

if you whack one a 60 mph they fly ;)

Kursk 21-07-2017 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35908717)
if you whack one a 60 mph they fly ;)

Yes, and when they land they're no longer able walk to school any more, or use colouring books or do that cute little dancing they used to do for their mummy and daddy.

Taf 28-07-2017 11:15

Quote:

Bus services are a "vital lifeline" suffering from traffic congestion
Quote:

Poor service reliability is often caused by congestion along the route... it increases journey times, makes bus trips unpredictable, increases operational costs (and subsequently fares), undermines passenger confidence, and reinforces negative perceptions of the bus.
Quote:

Assessment of the full range of tools available and how useful they might be in tackling congestion's impact on Welsh bus services, e.g. park and ride schemes, congestion charging, higher parking charges, workplace parking levies, and bus priority measures
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-40739874

And perhaps ban bicycles from bus lanes as they are a major cause of congestion (as are bus lanes themselves)?

pip08456 28-07-2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908702)

Those that drink alcohol at least 3 times a week are less susceptable to type 2 diabeties. (according to a report on BBC breakfast this morning).

Kursk 28-07-2017 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35909600)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-40739874

And perhaps ban bicycles from bus lanes as they are a major cause of congestion (as are bus lanes themselves)?

And perhaps ban cars from cycle lanes as they are a major cause of death?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35909601)
Those that drink alcohol at least 3 times a week are less susceptable to type 2 diabeties. (according to a report on BBC breakfast this morning).

I:beer:like:beer:their:beer:thinking. Hic.