Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Non reading PS3 :( (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33643869)

chris9991 02-01-2009 18:35

Non reading PS3 :(

Hi

I bought a second hand PS3 a few weeks a go and now when I insert a disc it doesn't read the contents. Having read around the net, there is an issue affecting lens. Has anyone tried to use a lens cleaner or manually cleaned it themselves?

I know I could get it repaired somewhere but if I can do it cheaper, the better

Cheers

Graham M 02-01-2009 18:37

Re: Non reading PS3 :(

Give a standard CD Lense cleaner ago, although this may not work if the PS3 is not reading any discs at all?

icestar2 02-01-2009 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris9991 (Post 34708194)
Hi

I bought a second hand PS3 a few weeks a go and now when I insert a disc it doesn't read the contents. Having read around the net, there is an issue affecting lens. Has anyone tried to use a lens cleaner or manually cleaned it themselves?

I know I could get it repaired somewhere but if I can do it cheaper, the better

Cheers

If you cant get it sorted try phoning sony on 08705 99 88 77. They are normally very good. Tell them you got it from argos or something a couple months ago and now its just stopped reading disc.

Most of the time they will send collection for it for repair or will just straight swap it for you. They really are very good :)

Stephen 02-01-2009 19:44

If you only got it a few weeks ago, can't you take it back?

icestar2 02-01-2009 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 34708245)
If you only got it a few weeks ago, can't you take it back?

He got it second hand. Maybe he cant take it back. Guess it depends were he got it from. Sony support will probably replace it with a nice new working one :)

Tezcatlipoca 02-01-2009 21:28

Is it an early (launch) model? [60GB with PS2 compatibility]

Although obviously not anywhere near the same level as the 360's infamous RROD problems, I have read many reports of early PS3s dying due to the Blu-ray drive failing.

icestar2 02-01-2009 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34708308)
Is it an early (launch) model? [60GB with PS2 compatibility]

Although obviously not anywhere near the same level as the 360's infamous RROD problems, I have read many reports of early PS3s dying due to the Blu-ray drive failing.

Yep there has been a good few dying from what I've read. Still less than 3% they say but how true that is I dont know.

I personally beleive its also alot down to how you treat your equipment. Alot of people turn them off when its still writing to the HD or when its in the middle of loading something.

My friends drive failed after switching it off while still trying to access the HD.

I am hope thats the case anyway as I would be gutted if my 60GB failed :(

Bulky 03-01-2009 10:03

my ps3 is being replaced on wednesday , another problem which seems to crop up from doing a little googling , mine started with a light clicking noise from the fan and slowly got worse , its now unbearable (presume its a fan bearing gone) , sony were good though and was pleased with the service , only downside is i will recieve a reconditioned unit but if it has the slightest mark on it or even crashes (as my current one has not) its going back. I also believe its a lot to do with how your hardware is treated , treat all my stuff like a child , dust covers after use , remove discs before switching off, always quit to dashboard before removing disc.

chris9991 03-01-2009 12:01

When a disc is inserted it appears to spin. I'll probably give a lens cleaner a go, though I've read that a blu ray version needs to be used

Hom3r 03-01-2009 13:03

Say you got it from Woolies as a present.

icestar2 03-01-2009 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris9991 (Post 34708505)
When a disc is inserted it appears to spin. I'll probably give a lens cleaner a go, though I've read that a blu ray version needs to be used

Just leave it for 5 mins and then see if the disc shows up. My friend had this problem. As I mentioned before he switched off while it was saving to the Hd and when he switched back on the disc drive didnt work but after 5 mins the game or dvd shows up.

He told Sony this and they were still happy to replace it. There sending him a new one on thursday and picking up his old one.