Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Update] The News Corp scandal (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676493)

OLD BOY 03-03-2018 19:25

Re: [Update] The News Corp scandal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35939387)
I'm not worried about snowflakes or celebs..I'm worried about those who have no access to legal resources who get picked on and libelled and can't fight back. I'm even more concerned about how tight the police and politicians are with the media..and that was what Leveson part 2 was to address. Frankly I am not surprised it's been abandoned by our politicians. Too much self interest and fear of the power of the current press.

Maybe so, but yet another inquiry was never going to solve this.

What you need is political will, without which any number of inquiries will not resolve this. In most cases, the setting up of an inquiry is just an excuse to kick the can down the road.

Let’s not waste any more of OUR money.

Maggy 04-03-2018 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939408)
Maybe so, but yet another inquiry was never going to solve this.

What you need is political will, without which any number of inquiries will not resolve this. In most cases, the setting up of an inquiry is just an excuse to kick the can down the road.

Let’s not waste any more of OUR money.

It wasn't another inquiry..it was a continuation..and it's MY money as well and I want corruption weeded out between politicians,police and the press because it would lead to better government,press and police ethics.

OLD BOY 04-03-2018 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35939457)
It wasn't another inquiry..it was a continuation..and it's MY money as well and I want corruption weeded out between politicians,police and the press because it would lead to better government,press and police ethics.

And a continuation of this inquiry will achieve what exactly? Diddly squat, I reckon, millions of pounds later.

denphone 04-03-2018 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939525)
And a continuation of this inquiry will achieve what exactly? Diddly squat, I reckon, millions of pounds later.

So you are happy then with continuing corruption between politicians ,the police and the press?.

OLD BOY 04-03-2018 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35939528)
So you are happy then with continuing corruption between politicians ,the police and the press?.

That is not the question, Den, and it is not my point.

The question is, would millions of pounds of public money, OUR money, spent on continuing this inquiry actually achieve anything?

If you are looking at ways of spending shedloads of money, wouldn't it be better to stop the waste and start spending money on the poor people of this country?

Maggy 04-03-2018 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939538)

The question is, would millions of pounds of public money, OUR money, spent on continuing this inquiry actually achieve anything?

If you are looking at ways of spending shedloads of money, wouldn't it be better to stop the waste and start spending money on the poor people of this country?

So no accountability for corruption because it would cost too much for the inquiry? Seriously? Just let them slink into the woodwork and we forget all about it..Just in case the money would be spent in on the poor instead. Dream on.

denphone 04-03-2018 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939538)

That is the question OB and typical of a politician you don't answer the question but obfuscate your way around it.

OLD BOY 05-03-2018 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35939539)
So no accountability for corruption because it would cost too much for the inquiry? Seriously? Just let them slink into the woodwork and we forget all about it..Just in case the money would be spent in on the poor instead. Dream on.

I didn't say that. I said the outcome of continuing this inquiry would lead to diddly squat. Our money could be much better spent.

If there is a case to be heard, let's take it through the criminal courts. We already have corruption laws, don't we? If they need to be tightened, then let's tighten them, but let's stop this pretence that another 7 years of this costly inquiry is going fo achieve anything. It won't.

---------- Post added at 07:51 ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35939542)
That is the question OB and typical of a politician you don't answer the question but obfuscate your way around it.

Sorry, Den, but it is you who has got the wrong end of the stick here!
Of course we should prosecute the corrupt. So if we think they are corrupt, prosecute them!
Let's stop pussy footing around.

Maggy 05-03-2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35939581)
I didn't say that. I said the outcome of continuing this inquiry would lead to diddly squat. Our money could be much better spent.

If there is a case to be heard, let's take it through the criminal courts. We already have corruption laws, don't we? If they need to be tightened, then let's tighten them, but let's stop this pretence that another 7 years of this costly inquiry is going fo achieve anything. It won't.

---------- Post added at 07:51 ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 ----------

Sorry, Den, but it is you who has got the wrong end of the stick here!
Of course we should prosecute the corrupt. So if we think they are corrupt, prosecute them!
Let's stop pussy footing around.

I don't recall part 1 taking 7 years..