Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Update] The News Corp scandal (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676493)

Maggy 05-04-2011 13:10

[Update] The News Corp scandal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12974401

Quote:

Police investigating phone-hacking claims have arrested two men on suspicion of unlawfully intercepting voicemail messages, Scotland Yard says.
The Guardian says they are News of the World chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and ex-news editor Ian Edmondson, but this has not been confirmed by police.
Some talk on the BBC News 24 that the investigation could take up to 2 years with many more arrests to follow.

dazzer89 05-04-2011 13:29

Re: Phone-hacking inquiry: Two men arrested

Lets hope the Tory slime ball has got arrested to.

Hugh 05-04-2011 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer89 (Post 35206618)
Lets hope the Tory slime ball has got arrested to.

Which specific Tory slime ball?

Gary L 05-04-2011 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35206737)

Dave, probably.

Maggy 05-04-2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35206737)

Coulson I believe.:erm:

Maggy 08-04-2011 22:48

Re: Update on Phone-hacking inquiry: News of the World Apologises

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13014161

Quote:

The News of the World's owner has said sorry over the phone hacking scandal and is to set up a compensation fund.
News International says, in some cases, it will apologise and admit liability. The BBC understands it hopes to pay out less than £20m in total to victims including actress Sienna Miller.
Quote:

Former Sunday Times editor and broadcaster Andrew Neil said it was a "complete mea culpa".
"They are trying to close it down with their cheque book but I don't think it will succeed," he told the BBC.
I cannot remember the Murdoch empire ever saying sorry.

Sirius 08-04-2011 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35209008)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13014161

I cannot remember the Murdoch empire ever saying sorry.

And they are letting that company buy Sky :rolleyes:

Welshchris 09-04-2011 06:18

Did u see John Prescott and one of the reporters from the news of the world i think he was on 10 oclock live? The reporter stated outright he thought it was ok to ho hack peoples phones who are rich and famous to see if what they are saying was true because the public have a right to know, but as John Prescott said that could be anything and anyone it could even mean a famous dancer etc.

Maggy 10-04-2011 00:37

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13027211

Quote:

The News of the World has printed an apology in its latest edition over the long-running phone-hacking scandal.
The paper said of the victims: "Here today, we publicly and unreservedly apologise to all such individuals."
It added in a page two article that the hacking "should not have happened" and "was and remains unacceptable".
Page 2..better than the horoscope page I suppose.;)

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

And the paper that published an article that has led to the re-opening of the issue
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

Maggy 10-04-2011 09:23

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13027211

Quote:

Lawyers for two of the News of the World's phone-hacking victims have said the paper's apology and offer of compensation are not enough.
The paper is thought to be offering settlements to at least eight people whose voicemail was listened to.
But a lawyer for the actress, Sienna Miller, said she was continuing her legal action.

Sirius 10-04-2011 11:31

I think in light of this a rethink is in order over the buy out of Sky by the Murdock's

Maggy 10-04-2011 12:50

It depends on how endemic phone hacking has become in News Internationals other media.Is NOW the only paper within the 'empire' that is habitually doing this and I wonder how many people are currently holding their breath.

Me personally I'd like the whole inquiry to be expanded to the rest of the industry but that's not going to happen unless there is new evidence.

Osem 10-04-2011 13:52

Tip of a very large iceberg methinks.

I wonder how many famous/important people still have their voicemail accounts on their default settings without a personalised PIN...

Maggy 14-04-2011 20:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13078353

Quote:

News of the World journalist James Weatherup has been arrested and bailed by police investigating phone hacking.
His arrest comes less than a week after the paper apologised to eight victims and set up a compensation fund.
Another one.I wonder how many more there may be.

the_neurotic_cat 16-04-2011 09:35

Just think, if News of the World employees go to prison they'll be meeting their biggest category of readers ... criminals. They'll be giving their autograph for canteen items!

Osem 17-04-2011 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35209521)

Well they would say that. As I understand it, by making offers in settlement at this stage the NOTW forces any litigants to consider the risk that should any subsequent award of damages made by the courts be less than the offer already made to them, the litigant will be liable for potentially massive costs.

Osem 13-05-2011 13:09

Well Sienna's settled for £100k:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13390991

Maggy 13-05-2011 16:58

Why am I not surprised.;)

Damien 04-07-2011 16:48

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...-news-of-world

Quote:

The News of the World illegally targeted the missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler and her family in March 2002, interfering with police inquiries into her disappearance, an investigation by the Guardian has established...

...During the last four weeks the Met officers have approached Surrey police and taken formal statements from some of those involved in the original inquiry, who were concerned about how News of the World journalists intercepted – and deleted – the voicemail messages of Milly Dowler.

The messages were deleted by journalists in the first few days after Milly's disappearance so as to free up space for more messages. As a result friends and relatives of Milly concluded wrongly that she might still be alive. Police feared evidence may have been destroyed.

devilincarnate 04-07-2011 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268185)

If this is correct the people that have done this want to be done for aiding and abetting, As they seemed to have helped the killer in regards to this. This is just my opinion?

Damien 04-07-2011 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268186)
If this is correct the people that have done this want to be done for aiding and abetting, As they seemed to have helped the killer in regards to this. This is just my opinion?

No evidence they helped the killer as I am guessing he didn't phone her. Just more evidence of the insensitive and callous nature of some of our press. You would think the journalists involved would feel bad about it but I am really beginning to wonder about these people....Used to think it was simply the editors enforcing a line but now I think the journalists really think this behaviour is ok.

devilincarnate 04-07-2011 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268190)
No evidence they helped the killer as I am guessing he didn't phone her. Just more evidence of the insensitive and callous nature of some of our press. You would think the journalists involved would feel bad about it but I am really beginning to wonder about these people....Used to think it was simply the editors enforcing a line but now I think the journalists really think this behaviour is ok.

Well said, But sorry should have said it better? When they deleted the messages they could have been really important in the case? Sorry I will get my coat?

Sirius 04-07-2011 17:48

Remind me again why its a good thing to allow Murdock owner of the News of the screws even more access to the media via Sky ?????

papa smurf 04-07-2011 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35268201)
Remind me again why its a good thing to allow Murdock owner of the News of the screws even more access to the media via Sky ?????

he has political friends and is Teflon coated ;)

cookie_365 04-07-2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35268201)

And the fact that Rebekah Brooks, who was editor at the time, happens to be a very good friend of a Mr D Cameron is pure coincidence :rolleyes:

Hugh 04-07-2011 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie_365 (Post 35268209)
And the fact that Rebekah Brooks, who was editor at the time, happens to be a very good friend of a Mr D Cameron is pure coincidence :rolleyes:

And at the time, was, and still is, a good friend of Tony & Cherie Blair - it's what these people do; mix with the people in power.

Maggy 04-07-2011 19:09

What totally and completely amoral swine...

If it wasn't for the small band of decent hardworking proper investigative journalists I'd be calling for them all to be hung drawn and quartered..

Tezcatlipoca 04-07-2011 19:48

CF's Ts&Cs prohibit me from using the kind of language I would like to use to describe the **** involved in these allegations.

Absolutely, completely, and utterly disgusting :mad:

Sirius 04-07-2011 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie_365 (Post 35268209)

Don't worry i feel the government need to get a grip of this very soon. They should never have allowed the Murdock's to buy all the shares for sky. Murdock will soon have total dominance of the UK news media :(

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35268231)
What totally and completely amoral swine...

If it wasn't for the small band of decent hardworking proper investigative journalists I'd be calling for them all to be hung drawn and quartered..

Just do it

Maggy 04-07-2011 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35268252)
Don't worry i feel the government need to get a grip of this very soon. They should never have allowed the Murdock's to buy all the shares for sky. Murdock will soon have total dominance of the UK news media :(

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Just do it

There are still some journalists to whom this sort of behaviour is abhorrent..Mind the turds that did this weren't journalists by any stretching of the word.:rolleyes:

Stuart 04-07-2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268190)

No direct evidence, but it is a distinct possibility:

Quote:

The deletion of the messages also caused difficulties for the police by confusing the picture when they had few leads to pursue.It also potentially destroyed valuable evidence.

According to one senior source familiar with the Surrey police investigation: "It can happen with abduction murders that the perpetrator will leave messages, asking the missing person to get in touch, as part of their efforts at concealment. We need those messages as evidence. Anybody who destroys that evidence is seriously interfering with the course of a police investigation."

Damien 04-07-2011 22:09

To be honest there is nothing I can say that I haven't said several times before about the gutter these people dwell in. Unlike the politicians, the celebraties and the public servants the press is quite keen to expose, vilify and lecture on mortality, they have no one holding them to account. They poison public discourse, they deliberately seek to cause public anger and outrage at often trivial or non-existant 'scandals'.

Nothing we can do about it. People still buy the paper, they will remember that it can't be trusted until it publishes something they agree with and it suddenly becomes a trustworthy source. Then, in a few months, they will expose some moron celebrity who has had an affair which they learned off via similar dodgy means and everyone will tut with moral indignation and around and around we go.

Uncle Peter 05-07-2011 00:54

I wonder why all of this has recently started to come out... someone with friends in Millbank perhaps who are on a mission to discredit Murdoch's tools of manipulation? (I hope so).

Freedom of the press is one of the cornerstones of our society but it is unfortunately a value which is inherently flawed in it's openness to abuse by this type of ****. I hope this really is the beginning of the end for the notw and the dismantling of Murdoch's empire. Let the dirt be dished.

Chris 05-07-2011 13:24

re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families...

I've been listening to this unfolding on the radio during this morning and I'm absolutely gobsmacked.

I am waiting with interest to hear how Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) articulates her inevitable defence of "Yes, I was the editor, but no, I didn't know how we were getting that information about Milly and I didn't ask."

If Rupert Murdoch allows her to continue leading News International's internal investigation in the light of these new allegations, well ... there simply aren't words.

denphone 05-07-2011 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35268358)
I wonder why all of this has recently started to come out... someone with friends in Millbank perhaps who are on a mission to discredit Murdoch's tools of manipulation? (I hope so).

Freedom of the press is one of the cornerstones of our society but it is unfortunately a value which is inherently flawed in it's openness to abuse by this type of ****. I hope this really is the beginning of the end for the notw and the dismantling of Murdoch's empire. Let the dirt be dished.

Rupert Murdoch has had a insidious influence on this country for far too long and with politicians of both sides as well and the sooner his empire unravels the better in my mind.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35268532)
I've been listening to this unfolding on the radio during this morning and I'm absolutely gobsmacked.

I am waiting with interest to hear how Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) articulates her inevitable defence of "Yes, I was the editor, but no, I didn't know how we were getting that information about Milly and I didn't ask."

If Rupert Murdoch allows her to continue leading News International's internal investigation in the light of these new allegations, well ... there simply aren't words.

Nothing surprises me about Murdoch or his cronies.

Ravenheart 05-07-2011 16:27

re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families...

Now suggestions that the Soham families have also been contacted :(

Quote:

Parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman contacted by detectives investigating phone hacking at the News of the World
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...amilies-police

Sickening.

Chris 05-07-2011 16:40

Sickening it is. However as a nation we need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Our national newspapers are commercial operations that stand or fall on their circulation figures. They run the stories they do, because those stories sell papers.

It is no longer good enough for us to say we didn't know how the journalists got their information. We now know exactly the sort of measures that are employed. The question now is, will we as a nation stop supporting these rags with our pocket change?

Damien 05-07-2011 17:01

Wonder what more is it come? Imagine the headlines the News of the World would have come up with if someone else had hacked these phones? Big picture of the perpetrator, their name and a long article condemning them and their 'sick' acts.

Chris 05-07-2011 17:07

It was Ms. Wade that led the wave of vigilantism against suspected pedophiles with her 'name and shame' campaign while she was editor of the Screws. And we all know what a public service that turned out to be.

She's a thoroughly ruthless and unpleasant hack who will say and do whatever she needs to do in the commercial interests of her employer. She's the very last person to be leading an enquiry into these goings on. She may be whiter than white so far as knowledge of, or involvement with, the phone hacking scandal is concerned, but the fact is, it all took place on her watch. She needs to be a million miles away from it right now, or else people will justifiably suspect a whitewash.

Sirius 05-07-2011 17:20

So if they were able to hack into the data for the phones what else could they have been getting access to ? . Internet usage, email data, the mind boggles

Chris 05-07-2011 17:23

They only 'hacked' into them to the extent that most people don't have remote access to their mobile voicemail set up properly - it is often still on the default PIN, or if it has been set it is often an easily guessable number. Simply a case of dialling in and entering the PIN. Hacking properly secured or encrypted data would be a whole different matter and probably beyond the skillz of a freelance reporter or private dick.

Damien 05-07-2011 17:30

The other thing is Rebekah Wade denied most to this the PCC and she told a commons inquiry that The Guardian "has substantially and likely deliberately misled the British public" when they printed the allegations. They should sue, more than enough evidence that she was fibbing there.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

According to Twitter - Ford and NPower have pulled out of advertising in the News of the World. Doubt it makes a difference but there you go.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 17:31

Have the people that have done this got any morals or would they even sell a story on their own family to get a quick buck. I thought that it was just sick with the first story on this thread but if the other is true it is disgusting.

denphone 05-07-2011 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35268637)
Sickening it is. However as a nation we need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Our national newspapers are commercial operations that stand or fall on their circulation figures. They run the stories they do, because those stories sell papers.

It is no longer good enough for us to say we didn't know how the journalists got their information. We now know exactly the sort of measures that are employed. The question now is, will we as a nation stop supporting these rags with our pocket change?

Exactly Chris but l am afraid it is going to be very hard to change the insidious influences of the media.

Damien 05-07-2011 19:03

Anyone who is interested in this and is near a TV, watch Channel 4 news NOW.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

News of the World campaigned with Sara Payne for Sarah's Law, guess what they were alleged to have been doing while that was happening? Yup. Hacking her phone.

denphone 05-07-2011 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268741)
Anyone who is interested in this and is near a TV, watch Channel 4 news NOW.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

News of the World campaigned with Sara Payne for Sarah's Law, guess what they were doing while that was happening? Yup. Hacking her phone.

As each minute goes by the revelations become more and more astounding.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268741)
[/COLOR]News of the World campaigned with Sara Payne for Sarah's Law, guess what they were alleged to have been doing while that was happening? Yup. Hacking her phone.

It just seems to be descending in to a (not allowed to use the words that I want to use now?)

martyh 05-07-2011 19:23

I think that a bulk order for paper shredders is about to placed by News International ,the News of The World and the MET in an attempt to stop themselves getting nailed to the wall ,the only person who will come out of this smelling of roses is Rupert Murdoch

I also think that Chris is right,the only way to stop this sort of behaviour is for the readers of these rags to stop buying them because the PCC is a waste of time

Maggy 05-07-2011 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35268765)
I think that a bulk order for paper shredders is about to placed by News International ,the News of The World and the MET in an attempt to stop themselves getting nailed to the wall ,the only person who will come out of this smelling of roses is Rupert Murdoch

I also think that Chris is right,the only way to stop this sort of behaviour is for the readers of these rags to stop buying them because the PCC is a waste of time

I haven't bought the NOW for over 30 years.Same for the Sun,the Mail.I only buy the Telegraph these days and that's for the OH because he likes doing the crossword and other puzzles.

denphone 05-07-2011 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35268765)

On that we can agree.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35268772)
I haven't bought the NOW for over 30 years.Same for the Sun,the Mail.I only buy the Telegraph these days and that's for the OH because he likes doing the crossword and other puzzles.

Yes l made a vow a long time ago never to buy a Murdoch paper.

Damien 05-07-2011 19:35

Not sure if anyone else saw Channel 4 News but they revealed that a few years ago The News of the World has a surveillance team targeting a police officer.

The Police officer was investigating the murder of a private investigator. He appeared on Crimewatch during an appeal and a few days later they started following him. The police noticed and did a counter surveillance operation following the NOTW team that was following the office in question. When confronted about this the NOTW said they thought he was having an affair with one of the presenters of the show. The officer and the presenter in question were married at the time. However coincidentally many of the people the officer was investigating for the murder where also private investigators working for....The News of the World.

Anyone getting the feeling all these sick cases are the pilot fish for a much bigger story?

AdamD 05-07-2011 19:37

Interesting how companies who pay for ads in these papers are only NOW considering removing them.

*shakes head*

Tabloids, it's a shame they aren't banned, perhaps the average IQ in this country would rise if they did. :P

It amazes me how newspapers are able to repeatedly get away with violating people's privacy, yet all they seem to get is a slap on the wrist and a fine.

denphone 05-07-2011 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamD (Post 35268788)
Interesting how companies who pay for ads in these papers are only NOW considering removing them.

*shakes head*

Tabloids, it's a shame they aren't banned, perhaps the average IQ in this country would rise if they did. :P

It amazes me how newspapers are able to repeatedly get away with violating people's privacy, yet all they seem to get is a slap on the wrist and a fine.

Yes l agree with you as the masses have been brainwashed for years by the redtops.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35268791)
Yes l agree with you as the masses have been brainwashed for years by the redtops.

Oh typical blame the Gingers.

denphone 05-07-2011 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268827)
Oh typical blame the Gingers.

Well who do you blame Devil.:erm:

Damien 05-07-2011 20:18

http://www.channel4.com/news/news-of...lice-detective

Quote:

Exclusive: Channel 4 News learns that a Metropolitan Police detective was put under surveillance by News of the World journalists and his personal details targetted.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35268828)
Well who do you blame Devil.:erm:

Den did you read what I quoted and then posted?

Hom3r 05-07-2011 20:23

I frankly don't give a flying fig that a celebs phone has been hack, and may have exposed things they shouldn't have done.

But when it may have hampered a missing child case then people should go to prison.

denphone 05-07-2011 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268852)
Den did you read what I quoted and then posted?

Sorry.;)

Kymmy 05-07-2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35268856)
But when it may have hampered a missing child case then people should go to prison.

Agreed :clap:

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 20:29

Quote:

Yes the ones at the top as they had the control and should have questioned where the information was coming from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35268861)
Sorry.;)

Your OK Den:)

denphone 05-07-2011 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268870)
Yes the ones at the top as they had the control and should have questioned where the information was coming from.

Your OK Den:)

Yes l have just taken my medication.:D:D;):D:D

TheDon 05-07-2011 20:34

Quote:

I frankly don't give a flying fig that a celebs phone has been hack, and may have exposed things they shouldn't have done.

The law is there to protect everyone, your stance is quite frankly absurd. It's the same crime regardless of who the victim was, and should be punished in the same way regardless.

RizzyKing 05-07-2011 20:35

Havn't followed this that closely but have caught the highlights on the news and it made me sick to the stomach. Also have seen the police investigating the phone hacking case have gone and spoken to the parents of the soham victims if they find any hacking or anything in that case then the book should be picked up and thrown as hard as law will allow.

I really do hope that this will finally open the eye's of many to what a disreputable scumbag filled organisation news international is. They seem to seek only to have us all at each others throats and be out to cause as much pain and harm as they can truly despicable bunch of people.

I cannot see how they can continue to carry on without at least a sacrificial lamb thrown to the wolves but i doubt we will ever see the real decision makers who authorised this taking the responsibility or getting what they deserve. People of the UK wake up smell them for what they are and never give them another penny of your money.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35268882)
Havn't followed this that closely but have caught the highlights on the news and it made me sick to the stomach. Also have seen the police investigating the phone hacking case have gone and spoken to the parents of the soham victims if they find any hacking or anything in that case then the book should be picked up and thrown as hard as law will allow.

I really do hope that this will finally open the eye's of many to what a disreputable scumbag filled organisation news international is. They seem to seek only to have us all at each others throats and be out to cause as much pain and harm as they can truly despicable bunch of people.

I cannot see how they can continue to carry on without at least a sacrificial lamb thrown to the wolves but i doubt we will ever see the real decision makers who authorised this taking the responsibility or getting what they deserve. People of the UK wake up smell them for what they are and never give them another penny of your money.

:clap::clap::nworthy:

Hugh 05-07-2011 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35268882)

Unfortunately, it's not just News International - the word on the street is that the Mail, the Guardian, and the Mirror have all dirtied their hands in this way....

denphone 05-07-2011 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35268893)
Unfortunately, it's not just News International - the word on the street is that the Mail, the Guardian, and the Mirror have all dirtied their hands in this way....

Lets hope for a sea change at the end of all this as we cannot go on like this anymore but has someone got the courage to do something that will break this media evil. and insidiousness.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 20:48

Quote:

If this is the case they all should have the book thrown at them.

Lets see what happens after Wednesday when the MP's debate what has happened?
Just found these?

http://hackinginquiry.org/

Quote:

8.37pm: More on advertisers reviewing their links to the News of the World. My colleagues Sam Jones and Mark Sweney report that mobile phone firms Orange and T-Mobile are joining Ford, nPower and Halifax in considering their position.

A spokesman for T-Mobile said: "We're currently reviewing our advertising position with News of the World, following the recent allegations, and await the outcome of the ongoing police investigation."

Orange put out a similar statement, saying: "We're currently reviewing our advertising position with News of the World, following the recent allegations, and await the outcome of the ongoing police investigation."

The latest advertising boycotts came as companies including Co-operative, WH Smith, EasyJet, Butlins and Renault came under heavy pressure from internet campaigners to sever their links with the Sunday tabloid. A one-stop page has been set up to allow people to automatically tweet their concerns.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog...g-live-updates

martyh 05-07-2011 20:50

Quote:

I agree ,if one newspaper is doing it then it's a knocking bet others will be doing the same .....wonder how many editors will be having sleepless nights wondering whether or not to crucify the opposition or keep a guilty silence ?

Tezcatlipoca 05-07-2011 20:51

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...-phone-hacking

"Inconceivable"...

denphone 05-07-2011 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268901)

Just found these?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog...g-live-updates

l reckon with the latest revelations they will get plenty of signatures.

Hom3r 05-07-2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDon (Post 35268879)
The law is there to protect everyone, your stance is quite frankly absurd. It's the same crime regardless of who the victim was, and should be punished in the same way regardless.

No it's not.

MD was missing and her messages were being deleted, the police thought (although wrong) Millie was deleting them. so this wasted police time in tracing her.

Maggy 05-07-2011 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35268908)

I note this

Quote:

Former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott said on Twitter that he would write to the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, demanding he block News Corp's bid to take full control of pay-TV company BSkyB following the revelations about Dowler.
However, John Whittingdale, the chairman of the culture, media and sport select committee, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that phone hacking at the News of the World should not taint the rest of Rupert Murdoch's empire. "You cannot necessarily condemn the entire of News Corp just because of the actions of some individuals in another part of the organisation," he said.
"News International is a part of News Corp but it's a different part. News Corp is a global enterprise and I don't think one should condemn the entire organisation because something very clearly was going wrong in the News of the World."
Why not?Isn't the supreme head in charge at all?He's not accountable in any way for what happens in his organisation?So where does the buck stop in any organisation if not at the top?

Damien 05-07-2011 20:58

Quote:

The Guardian are screwed if they did it as well. Especially considering they have been pushing this phone hacking story more vigorously than any other paper. They made the initial allegations in '09 and were really behind it. Front pages almost every day until the police and the PCC dismissed them as nothing. They then came back last year with more stories, and they broke the Dowler story this week as well.

I find it amazing they would be pushing so hard for a full inquiry when they themselves will be implicated. Where did you hear they are involved?

If they have spent the last few years campaigning about this only to be just as guilty are are monumentally screwed. I mean actually in serious trouble - they are losing money as it is. This would be far more likely to send them under than News International.

Tezcatlipoca 05-07-2011 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268901)

Just found these?

Signed.

AdamD 05-07-2011 21:01

I signed it.

I think it's disgusting and I really hope they're made an example of, but, eh, the sad thing is, the same thing will happen again at some point

As I said earlier, they get away with murder, they chase and stalk people for photos, ruin people's privacy, get a small fine (in big corporation terms), a "naughty naughty!" slap on the wrist, then the process just repeats itself.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35268924)
Signed.

Yes so have I as well (should have put it when i first quoted the site:()

denphone 05-07-2011 21:06

Yes l have signed it as well.

Maggy 05-07-2011 21:06

How about signing 38 degrees petition against Murdoch getting even more of BskyB?

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/m...ition#petition

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35268935)
How about signing 38 degrees petition against Murdoch getting even more of BskyB?

Signed:) I say lets sign them all and put pressure on the Government to do something about it?

Damien 05-07-2011 21:10

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/07/24.jpg

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268940)

Whoops, I wonder if the Muppet in the background knew about it?

AdamD 05-07-2011 21:27

People power!
Signed the other petition to.

Stuart 05-07-2011 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35268908)

Reminds me of something Private Eye said when the company running the phone lines for one of the Ant and Dec shows was caught fiddling (in the great TV phone lines scandal of a few years back). Ant and Dec immediately denied any knowledge, to which Private Eye replied something along the line of they either knew about it and didn't stop it, in which case they were complicit, or they didn't know about it, in which case they were incompetent. Either way they shouldn't be running the company.

Sounds like the same might apply to RB..

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Odd how The Sun which usually such a campaigner for "what is right" is silent on this.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35268962)

Sounds like the same might apply to RB..

Who is RB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35268962)
Odd how The Sun which usually such a campaigner for "what is right" is silent on this.

Is this the only of their papers which is silent?

Hugh 05-07-2011 21:57

RB = Rebekah Brooks

Stuart 05-07-2011 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35268982)
Is this the only of their papers which is silent?

I was actually being sarcastic. I'd be surprised if ANY of the murdoch rags said anything about this beyond the bland apologies and promises already made.

As for RB not being aware, Channel 4 appear to think differently, and I'd be shocked if she was totally unaware of something like this because, regardless of the legality of it, it would make their main advertisers nervous. Nervous advertisers don't spend money, and the NOTW stands to lose a lot of money from each company.

Damien 05-07-2011 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35268993)
I was actually being sarcastic. I'd be surprised if ANY of the murdoch rags said anything about this beyond the bland apologies and promises already made.

As for RB not being aware, Channel 4 appear to think differently, and I'd be shocked if she was totally unaware of something like this because, regardless of the legality of it, it would make their main advertisers nervous. Nervous advertisers don't spend money, and the NOTW stands to a lot of money from each company.

The Times had it on their front page, both paper and online.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35268984)
RB = Rebekah Brooks

Thank you for the clarification :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35268993)

Sorry did not come across that way, My bad:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35268997)
The Times had it on their front page, both paper and online.

Looks like that the cat fighting has started internally:erm:

Damien 05-07-2011 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35268984)
RB = Rebekah Brooks

Hugh, Not sure if you saw my post before. Where did you hear The Guardian were into phone hacking?

Ravenheart 05-07-2011 22:23

Relatives of 7/7 bombings may have been hacked too
Quote:

Detectives from Scotland Yard’s team investigating the phone hacking scandal are in the process of contacting a “handful” of the 52 bereaved families whose names or phone numbers have appeared as part of their inquiry, sources told the Daily Telegraph.
Source

Damien 05-07-2011 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35269007)

Looks like that the cat fighting has started internally:erm:

Nah. I think The Times' readership would be troubled not to read about this story. The Times needs to act with greater independence from it's parent company to maintain it's credibility and it's brand. Murdoch isn't stupid, if he used it in the same way he uses The Sun/The News of the World then it wouldn't have the same value to him. It would serious damage the strength of the property.

devilincarnate 05-07-2011 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 35269016)
Relatives of 7/7 bombings may have been hacked too

Source

It just seems to be getting even worse. It is now starting to make me feel https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/01/16.gifandhttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/12/21.gif

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35269018)
Nah. I think The Times' readership would be troubled not to read about this story. The Times needs to act with greater independence from it's parent company to maintain it's credibility and it's brand. Murdoch isn't stupid, if he used it in the same way he uses The Sun/The News of the World then it wouldn't have the same value to him. It would serious damage the strength of the property.

Yes but it will be undermining the shareholders and the markets in the company?

Tezcatlipoca 05-07-2011 23:37

Quote:

Done.

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Tomorrow's Guardian:

"News of the World phone hacking: Police review all child abduction cases"

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Guardian
Detectives to examine every case involving attacks on children since 2001 in response to Milly Dowler phone hacking

Police officers investigating phone hacking by the News of the World are turning their attention to examine every high-profile case involving the murder, abduction or attack on any child since 2001 in response to the revelation that journalists from the tabloid newspaper hacked into the voicemail messages of the murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

The move is a direct response to the Guardian's exclusive story on Monday that a private investigator working for the News International tabloid, Glenn Mulcaire, caused her parents to wrongly believe she was still alive – and interfered with police inquiries into her disappearance – by hacking into the teenager's mobile phone and deleting messages.

The case of Madeleine McCann is expected to be one of the first to be re-examined by detectives from Scotland Yard's new inquiry into the phone hacking, Operation Weeting. Other cases likely to be re-examined include 15-year-old Danielle Jones, who was abducted and murdered in East Tilbury, Essex, in 2001 by her uncle, Stuart Campbell.

Officers from Operation Weeting have already told the parents of the girls killed in Soham in 2002 by Ian Huntley that their mobiles had been hacked. Documents seized by the Metropolitan police in a 2006 raid on Mulcaire's home show he targeted Leslie Chapman, the father of Jessica Chapman.

(snip)

The front page of tomorrow's Indy:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/pho...9vAqSdvanhM%3D

As they're saying on Twitter... #RebekahBrooksMustGo

RizzyKing 06-07-2011 00:16

If any of this is proved then not only should anyone and everyone involved do jail time but a full judicial review into the media be conducted and laws changed so this can never happen again.

Our media have been out of control for quite a while and have gotten away with far too much. Enough is enough we the public can actually do something this time we can withhold our money until things change and decency and integrity make a return to journalism.

Mick 06-07-2011 01:58

Quote:

Signed - How he can now be given more power over the media market than ever before, with this looming over his empire, I will never know.

TheDaddy 06-07-2011 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35269135)
Signed - How he can now be given more power over the media market than ever before, with this looming over his empire, I will never know.

His empire might be in jeopardy if he doesn't act soon, every day more and more details are being revealed each worse then the last, major advertisers like Ford and NPower have deserted and now there are going to be questions in Parliament, people care about this and it's not going away.

denphone 06-07-2011 06:49

l for one will not shed any tears if Murdoch's empire fall apart.

Sirius 06-07-2011 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35269149)
l for one will not shed any tears if Murdoch's empire fall apart.

Same here.

I have been saying all along that Murdock should not be allowed to build up his media empire further, If anything it should be reduced and if that means breaking up his empire in to smaller companies then so be it.

Stuart 06-07-2011 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35269178)
Headlined on page 6 printed version or here on-line

In fairness, when I said that yesterday, the Sun wasn't saying anything. Now they are bunging it on page 6, so they are still barely saying anything. You can guarantee if one of their competitors had done this, they would have a huge headline on the front page.