Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

smallclone 21-07-2014 10:50

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35715976)
I think that we will see a lot of people dump the sports, it's overpriced, and becoming out of the reach of the ordinary working family, if things continue as they are I would be forced to have a total rethink on my TV spend!

Did this 2 weeks ago. First time I've been without sky sports in 7 years. I'm a sports freak, can't get enough of it. But that's it for me. Shame but can't justify it now.

muppetman11 21-07-2014 11:12

Sky Sports 4 to become Ryder Cup channel

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/...-biggest-event

denphone 21-07-2014 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35716425)
Sky Sports 4 to become Ryder Cup channel

Another rather silly gimmick.:td:

muppetman11 21-07-2014 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35716446)
Another rather silly gimmick.:td:

Ryder cup on Sky Sports 4/HD and Champions league moving to the new home of European Football Sky Sports 5/HD..........I wonder why that could be ?

Media Boy UK 21-07-2014 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35716450)
Ryder cup on Sky Sports 4/HD and Champions league moving to the new home of European Football Sky Sports 5/HD..........I wonder why that could be ?

Trying to copy Setanta Sports Golf?

denphone 21-07-2014 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35716450)

Because they know that BT Sky Sports customers won't be able to receive it.

andy_m 21-07-2014 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35716452)

Two massive competitions only available in hd on Sky and Virgin.

Media Boy UK 21-07-2014 12:50

New Sky Sports price for Virgin Media viewers reveal.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35716428-post740.html

denphone 21-07-2014 12:51

Project Purple have obviously been doing some serious thinking.

1andrew1 21-07-2014 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35716026)
very much agreed. undoubtedly bt will try to rob customers blind the minute the vm contract/CL contract starts. just like sky do. and yet ofcom won't stop this neverending tidal wave where the customer pays the price for living in the uk and being involved in such a competitive football market where each company tries to throw money to beat the other.

lovely.

Ofcom is not permitted to get involved in the prices that the Premiership charges Sky and BT nor for how much Sky charges its own sports customers so please don't blame them.

OLD BOY 21-07-2014 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35715972)
Like most people I only have so much money to spend so as the cost of watching football goes up there will come a point when I will have to choose either Sky Sports or BT Sports. At present I get BT Sports bundled in with my tv package so it isn`t too bad but if that ever changes then obviously I will have to review the situation.
I agree it was better when Sky had all the domestic football and ITV/B.B.C had the internationals and Champions league etc

I do understand that there is a limit we can pay for sports and it is getting a bit much, but I don't get your statement that it was better when Sky had all the domestic football. Now that BT are involved, you get some of it 'free' with the XL pack. You had to pay Sky for all the football before.

1andrew1 21-07-2014 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35716468)
I do understand that there is a limit we can pay for sports and it is getting a bit much, but I don't get your statement that it was better when Sky had all the domestic football. Now that BT are involved, you get some of it 'free' with the XL pack. You had to pay Sky for all the football before.

I agree with you Old Boy. It's a Forum Myth that it was better when Sky had all the matches as 1) Competition has resulted in more matches being televised 2) The cost of Sky Sports has only kept pace with inflation. See previous posts evidencing this.

Gavin-D 21-07-2014 16:06

In another blow to BT TV Customers with Sky Sports the Ryder cup will be on Sky Sports 4 which will re-brand as Sky Sports Ryder Cup from 6am on Thursday, September 18 until 6am on Thursday, October 2

Quote:

Sky Sports 4 will become ‘Sky Sports Ryder Cup’ and will show over 330 hours of golf across 14 days, including 36 hours of live coverage from Gleneagles.

The channel goes live at 6am on Thursday, September 18 and continues until 6am on Thursday, October 2, as Sky Sports shows exclusive coverage of the Ryder Cup for the 10th time.

1andrew1 21-07-2014 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35716522)
In another blow to BT TV Customers with Sky Sports the Ryder cup will be on Sky Sports 4 which will re-brand as Sky Sports Ryder Cup from 6am on Thursday, September 18 until 6am on Thursday, October 2.

It's not really much of a blow as precious few BT TV customers have Sky Sports as it's not available on YouView, just the black BT Vision boxes.

Dave42 21-07-2014 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35716542)
It's not really much of a blow as precious few BT TV customers have Sky Sports as it's not available on YouView, just the black BT Vision boxes.

only sky sports 1+2 on bt so they doing so bt viewers cant watch it

1andrew1 21-07-2014 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35716544)
only sky sports 1+2 on bt so they doing so bt viewers cant watch it

Possibly but only 0.02% of BT TV customers have BT Sport so it won't impact at the moment. I think it's more there because:
a) Sky may be forced to wholesale Sky Sports 1 & 2 to BT on YouView in the future.
b) To encourage subscribers to take all the Sky Sports channels.

telegramsam 21-07-2014 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35716468)

BT Sport isn`t free to all virgin customers only those on the higher tier packages,which in effect means you are paying for BT Sport. As Virgin say themselves ``BT Sport included..``, not `free`.

OLD BOY 21-07-2014 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35716462)
Ofcom is not permitted to get involved in the prices that the Premiership charges Sky and BT nor for how much Sky charges its own sports customers so please don't blame them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35716565)
BT Sport isn`t free to all virgin customers only those on the higher tier packages,which in effect means you are paying for BT Sport. As Virgin say themselves ``BT Sport included..``, not `free`.

But you are on the XL pack, so you get it 'free' with your subscription, Sam. That's what I meant. I appreciate that not everyone has XL. I remain of the view that BT's presence in this area will ultimately be a good thing for sports fans.

muppetman11 21-07-2014 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35716478)
I agree with you Old Boy. It's a Forum Myth that it was better when Sky had all the matches as 1) Competition has resulted in more matches being televised 2) The cost of Sky Sports has only kept pace with inflation. See previous posts evidencing this.

It's certainly not ideal now and for the die hard football fan is more expensive , if you now want access from next year to all Premier League and Champions league you need to take out two pay TV subscriptions , before Sky Sports covered this with some champions league and Europa League games also available FTA.

Whilst the current situation may offer the occasional sports fan a cheaper offering (ie included with BB or included in XL pack) it certainly doesn't benefit the football die hards , this will get even more expensive next season when BT introduce a charge for their Champions league games don't forget they already charge £3 for HD on BT TV and the Sky platform.

telegramsam 21-07-2014 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35716569)
But you are on the XL pack, so you get it 'free' with your subscription, Sam. That's what I meant. I appreciate that not everyone has XL. I remain of the view that BT's presence in this area will ultimately be a good thing for sports fans.

Yes I get BT Sport as part of my XL package but I was talkng in general. Mind you how long will BT sport be included in the XL package I wonder? What was the length of the deal between Virgin and BT? As BT spent an awful load of money on the Champions league right and Premier league right they`re sure to want to recoup their money,wont they?

Chad 21-07-2014 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35716478)
I agree with you Old Boy. It's a Forum Myth that it was better when Sky had all the matches

Not really a forum myth, it's just peoples personal opinions. Personally I preferred when all football was available on SKY Sports and free-to-air TV. Not everyone will agree but the situation suited me more then, than it does now.

Dave42 21-07-2014 22:12

[QUOTE=OLD BOY;35716569]But you are on the XL pack, so you get it 'free' with your subscription, Sam. That's what I meant. I appreciate that not everyone has XL. I remain of the view that BT's presence in this area will ultimately be a good thing for sports fans.[/QUOTE]

only thing that's done is put prices up and up so not that good of a thing

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35716590)
Not really a forum myth, it's just peoples personal opinions. Personally I preferred when all football was available on SKY Sports and free-to-air TV. Not everyone will agree but the situation suited me more then, than it does now.

total agree Chad mate :clap::clap:

Superblade7 21-07-2014 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35716590)

Completely agree Chad. In the days when only Sky had the Premiership and other sports rights you had the choice of whether to subscribe to Sky Sports or not. It was a simple choice for the consumer.

However as others have pointed out, since the dawn of Setanta, ESPN and now BT Sport the competition has not really helped the consumer due to the cost increases and the fact that you now have to subscribe to two (or potentially more dependant on your interests) providers instead of just one.

Whilst competition is good for a consumer market, it is only good on comparable products. For example, if I want to buy a coffee, I can choose a local cafe, Starbucks, Costa, etc, and choose which provider I want based on my preferred taste and the price I am willing to pay. But ultimately I can get a coffee from any of them.

However, with sports rights, the fact is that Sky & BT offer completely different products as other than Premiership rights, they both have exclusive deals for the other sports they show. Whilst they keep trying to get one up on the other and pay overinflated prices for football rights it is only going to affect us, the consumer, as realistically there is no competition in this field, only a choice of whether to have none, some or all sports and the more you choose, the more you pay.

colin25 22-07-2014 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superblade7 (Post 35716599)
Completely agree Chad. In the days when only Sky had the Premiership and other sports rights you had the choice of whether to subscribe to Sky Sports or not. It was a simple choice for the consumer.

However as others have pointed out, since the dawn of Setanta, ESPN and now BT Sport the competition has not really helped the consumer due to the cost increases and the fact that you now have to subscribe to two (or potentially more dependant on your interests) providers instead of just one.

Whilst competition is good for a consumer market, it is only good on comparable products. For example, if I want to buy a coffee, I can choose a local cafe, Starbucks, Costa, etc, and choose which provider I want based on my preferred taste and the price I am willing to pay. But ultimately I can get a coffee from any of them.

However, with sports rights, the fact is that Sky & BT offer completely different products as other than Premiership rights, they both have exclusive deals for the other sports they show. Whilst they keep trying to get one up on the other and pay overinflated prices for football rights it is only going to affect us, the consumer, as realistically there is no competition in this field, only a choice of whether to have none, some or all sports and the more you choose, the more you pay.

+1

I couldn't be bothered posting, recognised that for some...if they can point to sky as big bad provider, their day is complete. And nothing is for free, Virgin is not a benevolent company...more myths bust :D

vincerooney 22-07-2014 09:33

Aye I remember the day they announced sky couldn't have all the premier league rights and split the rights up proclaiming "this will be great news for the consumer and provide competition which will push down prices"

Rather than paying one subscription and getting everything the consumer now has to pay two subscriptions as both companies continue to raise their prices with nothing seemingly to stop them

harry_hitch 22-07-2014 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superblade7 (Post 35716599)

BIB. You still have a choice for a sports provider. You can choose (BT Sports) a cheaper option for a lesser PL service, but which still has plenty of football from other leagues on it, as well as some high quality other sports. You can choose a very expensive service to watch numerous PL games, as well as some other games from other leagues and plenty of other sports too. Or you can simply choose to pay stupid amounts of money for both.

Quite why people (not just Superbalde) feel they are being forced to take both subscriptions is beyond me. You have a choice of two services, you can make a decision to to save money by only taking one of the services. You must know your own financial budgets. If you want both providers and can afford it, why moan? All businesses will charge as much as people are willing to pay. If you can't afford both, pick the one you can afford.

Going back to the coffee analogy, I will add a thought to it. If Starbucks were the only provider of coffee for a number of years and charged a high price because they knew they had a very good product and a customer base who would pay the money required. Suddendly, Cafe Nero come along and offer a slightly different product which is a little less tasty, but still offers a good quality product at a much cheaper price, what would you do? Would you choose one coffee provider or would you buy two coffees to satiate your tastes?

This is only an extreme hyperthetical situation and I have not posted it to stir things up, merely to make a point. I chose coffee as an example as Superblade used that as an example. You could make the argument better with clothes (do you buy a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt, or a fat face polo shirt, or do you buy both).

I am aware this will rile a number of posters, but I have not written it cause upset, merely make a point about how daft this whole situation sounds to me. I apologize for offence taken by anyone.

denphone 22-07-2014 09:41

Look its a personal choice on what people want to spend their money as some spend it on home entertainment , some spend it on their home , some spend it on going out and some spend on other things and as we don't drink and smoke we spend some of ours on home entertainment.

Doug P 22-07-2014 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35716576)
Yes I get BT Sport as part of my XL package but I was talkng in general. Mind you how long will BT sport be included in the XL package I wonder? What was the length of the deal between Virgin and BT? As BT spent an awful load of money on the Champions league right and Premier league right they`re sure to want to recoup their money,wont they?

I severely doubt champions league on BT will be included in XL pack.....

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35716452)

Sky Sports 4 has been the major golf channel for somewhile so very pleased we now have the HD variant....

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35716624)
Look its a personal choice on what people want to spend their money as some spend it on home entertainment , some spend it on their home , some spend it on going out and some spend on other things and as we don't drink and smoke we spend some of ours on home entertainment.

I am in the same situation Den as I too do not smoke or drink booze... I treat myself to Sky Sports and Movies not instead as such but as a choice on how to spend some of my money....

harry_hitch 22-07-2014 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35716624)

I agree Den. What little I have left after all my bills (its expensive living on ones own) goes on books, blurays, my very sweet tooth, lovefilm by post (far better than Sky Movies) one take away a week, the odd night out each month and a couple of bottles of beer when I feel liking taking the edge off. Blurays can be massively over priced, but I have the luxury of waiting until the price drops before I pick them up. I could go on film forums and moan until my fingers hurt, or I could make the decision which best suits my needs (which I currently do.)

I just fail to understand the need for people to talk as if they are victims. Everyone has a choice, pay it and face the consequences or don't pay it. I love a vast amount of sports (although I am doing my best to try and forget England have a cricket team currently;)) and whilst I can budget for SS, I refuse to pay the stupid prices. How many football fans are still paying for SS when there is no football on? Why pay it if you only want the football? If you watch lots of different sports (cricket, golf, rugby, tennis) then it is still over priced, but somewhat better value.

As you say, you pay the money and you make your choice. Anyone moaning on here (as cathartic as it may be) is not going to change anything. The more people pay, the more Sky/BT will charge. The FA are not going to stop the PL bringing all the money in, the only people who will change it are the fans.

We have four big supermarkets in the country, people (mainly) shop at the one that suits their budget and their tastes. If there were 4 PL providers would people blindly pay all 4 companies or choose the one that suits their budget and tastes?

muppetman11 22-07-2014 11:51

I cancelled Sky Sports months back and I certainly wouldn't pay a penny for what little BT currently has , I merely receive it as part of my BB , I do however still agree things are now more expensive for those who like to watch all the football.

I fail to see how this is moaning though.:confused:

Anypermitedroute 22-07-2014 12:06

I agree with MM,

I think its too much but I choose to pay it because i have no alternative way of viewing it legally (not withstanding other ways but park this to one side), with movies there is alternative supliers now and if you dont wish to pay premum now you can wait till its drop in value, buy it second hand, wait till it comes on freeview. Liverpool vs Mancity game is exclusive on one channel, not available elsewhere (i cant comment on procurely it with BeIn as I dont knw the legal stance on this) and hardly going to wait till it come on DVD. I guess Match of the Day for free is the only alternative but not if the objective is to watch the entire match live

1andrew1 22-07-2014 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35716648)
I cancelled Sky Sports months back and I certainly wouldn't pay a penny for what little BT currently has , I merely receive it as part of my BB , I do however still agree things are now more expensive for those who like to watch all the football.

I think it's interesting to look at the evidence though, which is 1) Sky Sports has only risen by inflation since 2004 when it was £20pm on VM. Since then, its content and channels have increased substantially. I accept that people's salaries have not kept pace though. 2) People had access to far fewer Premier League matches when they were just available on Sky Sports so making some available to Setanta or BT has not deprived Sky Sports subscribers of anything they had before - it's offering them more matches for more money. The Premier League has not simply split the same number of matches between two suppliers, it has increased the number of matches it sells. Viewers are therefore in an advantageous position now. If they want more Premier League matches than they did before then they can take them from BT otherwise they can just continue paying the same effective price to Sky Sports for the same number of Premiership matches as they have ever had access to.
The future could be very different and I accept that the Champions League rights acquisition by BT is a step change. It could result in an increase in costs for those who want to continue their Sky Sports subscriptions but still want access to the Champions League.

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute (Post 35716650)
I guess Match of the Day for free is the only alternative but not if the objective is to watch the entire match live

I guess the other alternatives are friends' and relatives' houses and pubs and clubs.

Superblade7 22-07-2014 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35716622)
BIB. You still have a choice for a sports provider. You can choose (BT Sports) a cheaper option for a lesser PL service, but which still has plenty of football from other leagues on it, as well as some high quality other sports. You can choose a very expensive service to watch numerous PL games, as well as some other games from other leagues and plenty of other sports too. Or you can simply choose to pay stupid amounts of money for both.

Quite why people (not just Superbalde) feel they are being forced to take both subscriptions is beyond me. You have a choice of two services, you can make a decision to to save money by only taking one of the services. You must know your own financial budgets. If you want both providers and can afford it, why moan? All businesses will charge as much as people are willing to pay. If you can't afford both, pick the one you can afford.

Going back to the coffee analogy, I will add a thought to it. If Starbucks were the only provider of coffee for a number of years and charged a high price because they knew they had a very good product and a customer base who would pay the money required. Suddendly, Cafe Nero come along and offer a slightly different product which is a little less tasty, but still offers a good quality product at a much cheaper price, what would you do? Would you choose one coffee provider or would you buy two coffees to satiate your tastes?

This is only an extreme hyperthetical situation and I have not posted it to stir things up, merely to make a point. I chose coffee as an example as Superblade used that as an example. You could make the argument better with clothes (do you buy a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt, or a fat face polo shirt, or do you buy both).

I am aware this will rile a number of posters, but I have not written it cause upset, merely make a point about how daft this whole situation sounds to me. I apologize for offence taken by anyone.

Harry - no offence taken whatsoever. I always enjoy a good debate and it's good to hear differing opinions. However, I just wanted to clarify that my post wasn't a moan simply a viewpoint about competition only being good when you have comparable products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35716644)
We have four big supermarkets in the country, people (mainly) shop at the one that suits their budget and their tastes. If there were 4 PL providers would people blindly pay all 4 companies or choose the one that suits their budget and tastes?

Your post above supports the point I was trying to get across. If I want a jar of coffee (sorry about all the coffee analogies ;)) then I have a choice of whether to get this from a local shop, a supermarket, etc, but wherever I choose to get it from and whatever price or brand I choose to pay, I'll end up with a jar of coffee. So therefore competition works as you have choice.

In the current sports tv market, competition hasn't led to choice or price competition as if you take away the Premier League rights, they are different products. If I want Football League, Golf or WWE the only option is Sky Sports or nothing. From the 2015/16 season, if I want Champions League the only choice I have is BT Sports or nothing. So whilst it has been good to increase the amount of football on TV, it has not really led to choice or price wars like competition should.

However, I don't feel that I am in anyway forced to take either or both sports channels. To me pay tv is a luxury that whilst ever I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, I will have it. However, should my budget get squeezed then the sports channels would be the first to go followed by the basic tv package if necessary.

I will be very interested to see how BT Sport fair from next year as the vast majority of their subscribers will get it 'included' with either BT broadband or Virgin XL tv. I would imagine actual full fee paying subscribers will be quite a low number so if they start charging to recoup some of the massive fee they've paid for Champions League, subscribers numbers may drop and they could go the way of those before them. I know I wouldn't pay for BT Sport as a standalone if it wasn't included in my XL tv pack. I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue with the wholesale agreement with VM beyond the current contract as that way they have a guaranteed income each month as opposed to losing money by trying to go it alone as a standalone.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, especially when they do the next Premier League rights auction. However, ultimately due to the lack of choice/competition in this field, the only thing that is certain is that prices will continue to increase.

telegramsam 22-07-2014 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superblade7 (Post 35716742)
Harry - no offence taken whatsoever. I always enjoy a good debate and it's good to hear differing opinions. However, I just wanted to clarify that my post wasn't a moan simply a viewpoint about competition only being good when you have comparable products.

Your post above supports the point I was trying to get across. If I want a jar of coffee (sorry about all the coffee analogies ;)) then I have a choice of whether to get this from a local shop, a supermarket, etc, but wherever I choose to get it from and whatever price or brand I choose to pay, I'll end up with a jar of coffee. So therefore competition works as you have choice.

In the current sports tv market, competition hasn't led to choice or price competition as if you take away the Premier League rights, they are different products. If I want Football League, Golf or WWE the only option is Sky Sports or nothing. From the 2015/16 season, if I want Champions League the only choice I have is BT Sports or nothing. So whilst it has been good to increase the amount of football on TV, it has not really led to choice or price wars like competition should.

However, I don't feel that I am in anyway forced to take either or both sports channels. To me pay tv is a luxury that whilst ever I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, I will have it. However, should my budget get squeezed then the sports channels would be the first to go followed by the basic tv package if necessary.

I will be very interested to see how BT Sport fair from next year as the vast majority of their subscribers will get it 'included' with either BT broadband or Virgin XL tv. I would imagine actual full fee paying subscribers will be quite a low number so if they start charging to recoup some of the massive fee they've paid for Champions League, subscribers numbers may drop and they could go the way of those before them. I know I wouldn't pay for BT Sport as a standalone if it wasn't included in my XL tv pack. I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue with the wholesale agreement with VM beyond the current contract as that way they have a guaranteed income each month as opposed to losing money by trying to go it alone as a standalone.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, especially when they do the next Premier League rights auction. However, ultimately due to the lack of choice/competition in this field, the only thing that is certain is that prices will continue to increase.

Well written post mate,the best so far on this subject. I agree entirely with all you say.

harry_hitch 22-07-2014 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superblade7 (Post 35716742)

That's very well written and its nice to see such a clear answer regarding the sports channels, rather than the usual rants.

The only reason prices are going up though, is because Sky will not lower their prices even though they lost the Champions League rights. It really has very little to do with BT getting CL rights.

If Tesco were to save £400 million by not buying one brand of coffee (that ASDA gained exclusive selling rights to) I can be pretty certain that the money saved would be pumped into making the price of the remaining coffee lower and giving better deals on many different products for customers. I doubt greatly they would pocket it and spend it elsewhere within Tesco and give very little back to their to their loyal customers.

If a third party takes a package of PL games from Sky in the next round of bidding, then it will be up to Sky to lower their prices. If they don't, then yes people will pay more.

Ultimately, the reason there is not a price war is because Sky won't, and do not need to, begin one. They will never start one as things stand, because people still chose to pay the prices they set - whether people pay the cost by making savings in their life elsewhere, or can afford to pay for it comfortably within their budgets it is up to them. Sky wont care where the money comes from, as long as it continues to roll in. It is fine for people to pay for SS, if they want to, but they must accept that prices will continue to increase if they do. Coming on here and stating the obvious gets us no where.

I agree that SS is the only place for a lot of sports (goodness only knows I miss a lot stuff I would like to watch) and I tried to allude to that in my last post, and I agree that is unfair for the general sporting fan. Sadly though the only way to start to lower prices is for people to vote with their wallets. It will never change otherwise.

colin25 23-07-2014 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35716785)
That's very well written and its nice to see such a clear answer regarding the sports channels, rather than the usual rants.

The only reason prices are going up though, is because Sky will not lower their prices even though they lost the Champions League rights. It really has very little to do with BT getting CL rights.

If Tesco were to save £400 million by not buying one brand of coffee (that ASDA gained exclusive selling rights to) I can be pretty certain that the money saved would be pumped into making the price of the remaining coffee lower and giving better deals on many different products for customers. I doubt greatly they would pocket it and spend it elsewhere within Tesco and give very little back to their to their loyal customers.

If a third party takes a package of PL games from Sky in the next round of bidding, then it will be up to Sky to lower their prices. If they don't, then yes people will pay more.

Ultimately, the reason there is not a price war is because Sky won't, and do not need to, begin one. They will never start one as things stand, because people still chose to pay the prices they set - whether people pay the cost by making savings in their life elsewhere, or can afford to pay for it comfortably within their budgets it is up to them. Sky wont care where the money comes from, as long as it continues to roll in. It is fine for people to pay for SS, if they want to, but they must accept that prices will continue to increase if they do. Coming on here and stating the obvious gets us no where.

I agree that SS is the only place for a lot of sports (goodness only knows I miss a lot stuff I would like to watch) and I tried to allude to that in my last post, and I agree that is unfair for the general sporting fan. Sadly though the only way to start to lower prices is for people to vote with their wallets. It will never change otherwise.

Yes, vote by refusing to pay BT any money. Now and in future..good idea

muppetman11 23-07-2014 09:26

Sky launches ‘Sky Sports News HQ’ offering unrivalled multi-platform service

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post2597.html

Gavin-D 23-07-2014 09:57

The channel numbers on Sky are changing on 12th August

Sky Sports News HQ - 401

Sky Sports 1 - 402

Sky Sports 2 - 403

Sky Sports 3 - 404

Sky Sports 4 - 405

Sky Sports 5 - 406

Sky Sports F1 - 407

muppetman11 23-07-2014 12:45

TalkTalk pay-TV subscribers top 1.1m

Quote:

The company announced a new multi-year deal with Sky, extending access to the satellite broadcaster's movies and sport. TalkTalk customers will have catch-up content from Sky Movies and Sky Sports, and will be able to view the Sky Sports 5 channel which launches in August and will focus on European football, including the forthcoming Uefa Champions League.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/...cribers-top-1m

speedski 23-07-2014 13:48

More than surprised at the email I just got telling me that SS and SM is only going up by £2 month - expected a far higher rise than that to be fair...almost tempted to keep it now!

Mad Max 23-07-2014 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35716833)
The channel numbers on Sky are changing on 12th August

Sky Sports News HQ - 401

Sky Sports 1 - 402

Sky Sports 2 - 403

Sky Sports 3 - 404

Sky Sports 4 - 405

Sky Sports 5 - 406

Sky Sports F1 - 407

Gavin, is that the channel numbers for SD?

Doug P 23-07-2014 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35716569)

Bet they charge for Champions League Sam....

Gavin-D 23-07-2014 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35716902)
Gavin, is that the channel numbers for SD?

All it says is

The new Sky Sports channel portfolio will realign to the following EPG numbers on 12 August 2014:

No word yet whether they'll be the HD or SD channels

colin25 23-07-2014 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35716909)
All it says is

The new Sky Sports channel portfolio will realign to the following EPG numbers on 12 August 2014:

If you have HD, that is the numbers. If you have SD, that is the numbers.
I thought the EPG adjusts, depending on whether you have HD. Mine do

Doug P 23-07-2014 17:43

Tv Mags do not have different numbers for Sky dishes for HD as opposed to SD... must be the same.

Media Boy UK 23-07-2014 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35716909)
All it says is

It will be:

-Sky Sports News HQ HD on Sky Channel 401 with Sky Sports News HQ on an higher channel number on Sky+ HD boxes.

-Sky Sports News HQ on Sky Channel 401 with Sky Sports News HQ HD on an higher channel number on non Sky+ HD boxes.

Gavin-D 23-07-2014 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedski (Post 35716864)
More than surprised at the email I just got telling me that SS and SM is only going up by £2 month - expected a far higher rise than that to be fair...almost tempted to keep it now!

The thing is though VM will be charging £29.75 for sky sports when the increase arrives where as Sky will be charging £24.50 I know VM need to make a profit ect but the time will come when people end up ditching the SS add-on

Will be interesting to see if TalkTalk up the price as they already charge £30 a month for all the channels

denphone 23-07-2014 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35716906)

They will Doug.

Media Boy UK 23-07-2014 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35716918)
They will Doug.

Seen rumours on the web that BT are testing Red button screens on Sky.

telegramsam 23-07-2014 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35716906)

Yes I agree because they (BT) will need to recoup the money they paid out to secure the champions league rights. How that will work out on Virgin I don`t know,close ESPN and re-open it as BT Sports 2,and charge a separate fee to virgin,leaving BT Sport 1 as part of the xl package?

Gavin-D 23-07-2014 18:36

Just browsing through the TalkTalk YouView TV guide and it shows BT Sport 1, 2 + HD along with ESPN + HD however I thought TT didn't have the BT Sport channels?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2014/07/13.png

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/tv-guide/listings

denphone 23-07-2014 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35716928)
Yes I agree because they (BT) will need to recoup the money they paid out to secure the champions league rights. How that will work out on Virgin I don`t know,close ESPN and re-open it as BT Sports 2,and charge a separate fee to virgin,leaving BT Sport 1 as part of the xl package?

The other thing Virgin might do is to do a deal for the CL and then increase the price of the XL pack thus it is available to many more customers.

Media Boy UK 23-07-2014 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35716931)
Just browsing through the TalkTalk YouView TV guide and it shows BT Sport 1, 2 + HD along with ESPN + HD however I thought TT didn't have the BT Sport channels?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2014/07/13.png

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/tv-guide/listings

Don't BT own YouView?

muppetman11 23-07-2014 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35716934)
Don't BT own YouView?

They are a shareholder in YouView as are Talk Talk.

Gavin-D 23-07-2014 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35716934)
Don't BT own YouView?

I thought it was a join venture between the following

BT Group
TalkTalk Group
Arqiva
BBC
ITV
Channel 4
Channel 5

Here it states

Currently, BT Sport 1 and 2 are not available to view on YouView from TalkTalk. However YouView from TalkTalk is still the only place on YouView to see 6 Sky Sports channels, including Sky Sports F1.

http://m.help.talktalk.co.uk/will-bt...uview-talktalk

However the TV guide on the TT website says they have it

:confused:

speedski 24-07-2014 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35716915)
The thing is though VM will be charging £29.75 for sky sports when the increase arrives where as Sky will be charging £24.50 I know VM need to make a profit ect but the time will come when people end up ditching the SS add-on

Will be interesting to see if TalkTalk up the price as they already charge £30 a month for all the channels

Yeah there's a difference in actual price, I never look to be honest - get £20 a month off my bundle, the bundle price for me is the critical point.

Mad Bee 24-07-2014 11:20

Tell you what I can't wait for SSN to be re-branded in August.

Typical Sky pomp and bluster. :rolleyes:

http://www1.skysports.com/other-spor...channel-of-401

1andrew1 24-07-2014 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35716825)
Sky launches ‘Sky Sports News HQ’ offering unrivalled multi-platform service

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post2597.html

Every time I read about Sky Sports News HQ I'm reminded of Media Boy HQ! :)

Mad Bee 24-07-2014 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35717092)
Every time I read about Sky Sports News HQ I'm reminded of Media Boy HQ! :)

The day of new channel launches MB should head to VM HQ and make 'new signing' announcements with a crowd of subscribers whooping behind him.

The clincher would be an interview with Richard Branson through a wound down car window.

;)

Chad 25-07-2014 22:50

With the bidding process for Premiership rights starting later this year it seems most think that BT Sport will push SKY hard, and even win the lions share of rights. What nobody seems to be considering is what happens if SKY bid big, and win the majority of rights, leaving BT with just one package of matches equating to 23 games?

As we've seen over the past 6 months, SKY have been working hard securing long term deals for various sports. Between SKY and BT the vast majority of sports are nailed down for the near future. Would 23 Premiership games and European football rights be enough to keep BT Sports viable?

1andrew1 25-07-2014 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35717515)
Would 23 Premiership games and European football rights be enough to keep BT Sports viable?

As a tool to retain and gain broadband customers, yes. But as a means to charging for the service, probably not.
One side effect of the Sky Europe creation is that the new Sky will be a lot more endebted so initially may be unlikely to push the boat out so much on rights deals.

denphone 26-07-2014 06:09

BT Sports are in it for the long run Chad and they have extremely big pockets so money will be no object to them and that's why l think they will win more PL rights then before.

colin25 26-07-2014 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35717532)
As a tool to retain and gain broadband customers, yes. But as a means to charging for the service, probably not.
One side effect of the Sky Europe creation is that the new Sky will be a lot more endebted so initially may be unlikely to push the boat out so much on rights deals.

I am not convinced BT will continue giving it for free. This season yes, future...who knows

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35717547)
BT Sports are in it for the long run Chad and they have extremely big pockets so money will be no object to them and that's why l think they will win more PL rights then before.

I suspect your views are influenced by you getting it for free, wishful thinking having the greatest %s effect. You need to remember Den, despite what you may hope, neither Virgin or BT are benevolent organisations :)

denphone 26-07-2014 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35717556)
I am not convinced BT will continue giving it for free. This season yes, future...who knows

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

I suspect your views are influenced by you getting it for free, wishful thinking having the greatest %s effect. You need to remember Den, despite what you may hope, neither Virgin or BT are benevolent organisations :)

My views are unbiased unlike some others Colin :waving::Yes: so don't need to explain to me that we could be asked to pay more in a years time and l like many others will weigh my options up if it comes to that scenario Sir.:)

colin25 26-07-2014 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35717560)
My views are unbiased unlike some others Colin :waving::Yes: so don't need to explain to me that we could be asked to pay more in a years time and l like many others will weigh my options up if it comes to that scenario Sir.:)

swallow your words...ok :)

telegramsam 26-07-2014 11:21

BT will no doubt be doing their sums working out whether they will make more profit with the current arrangements, giving free BT Sports to subscribers of their broadband and selling BT Sports wholesale to Virgin media,or charging a subscription fee as they currently do to Sky. As already pointed out they are in it to make a profit and are not a charity organisation.

Gavin-D 26-07-2014 11:44

Next year will be very interesting for BT Sport as the bidding is expected to get underway for the premier league rights for the 2016 / 2017 to 2018 / 2019 seasons. Eurosport owner Discovery is rumored to be considering a bid as well

Chad 26-07-2014 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35717580)
Next year will be very interesting for BT Sport as the bidding is expected to get underway for the premier league rights for the 2016 / 2017 to 2018 / 2019 seasons. Eurosport owner Discovery is rumored to be considering a bid as well

It will be very interesting to see if a 3rd bidder enters the race for rights.

I think SKY are planning to bid big and are already preparing their war-chest. SKY will still have the money they planned to spend on Champions League rights plus I'm sure the recent carriage deals with Virgin Media and Talk Talk are also about raising revenue. Who knows maybe SKY will also use part of the funds raised from selling their stake in ITV.

The truth of the matter is who knows what will happen. I've seen a lot of speculation over the past 48 hours that moving forward SKY plan to bid for sports rights on a continental basis.

cityfan247 26-07-2014 12:09

opening up the bidding process for sports , in particular football, and reducing Sky Sports' monopoly was supposed to benefit the viewers and fans but it has had exactly the opposite effect.

the more players in the market the more subscriptions there are to pay. Now we have Sky Sports , BT Sports and Premier Sports and if Eurosport paid £££ for some rights who's to say that wouldnt be subscription based as well. we are nearing the point when no-one will be able to afford to watch all the EPL and Champions League. The only winners are the tournament organisers, the clubs and in turn the players who's ridiculous wages continue to go up and up.

Chad 26-07-2014 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35717582)
opening up the bidding process for sports , in particular football, and reducing Sky Sports' monopoly was supposed to benefit the viewers and fans but it has had exactly the opposite effect.

the more players in the market the more subscriptions there are to pay. Now we have Sky Sports , BT Sports and Premier Sports and if Eurosport paid £££ for some rights who's to say that wouldnt be subscription based as well. we are nearing the point when no-one will be able to afford to watch all the EPL and Champions League. The only winners are the tournament organisers, the clubs and in turn the players who's ridiculous wages continue to go up and up.

:clap:

telegramsam 26-07-2014 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35717582)

Totally agree with all above

pengedragon 27-07-2014 09:30

nice big ad for the season ticket in my paper this morning

mrs pengedragon is proving a tough nut to crack but i will get this soon :D

denphone 27-07-2014 09:58

A bit of bribery never goes amiss PD.

Superblade7 27-07-2014 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pengedragon (Post 35717751)
nice big ad for the season ticket in my paper this morning

mrs pengedragon is proving a tough nut to crack but i will get this soon :D

It's a great saving pengedragon, I got mine last week. As den says, if you treat yourself to that, I'm sure your good lady could have a treat too! ;)

colin25 27-07-2014 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superblade7 (Post 35717754)
It's a great saving pengedragon, I got mine last week. As den says, if you treat yourself to that, I'm sure your good lady could have a treat too! ;)

I used the virgin offer to discuss a compromise with sky, I will get a 20% discount on my whole sky package. There are positives everywhere

1andrew1 27-07-2014 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35717581)
It will be very interesting to see if a 3rd bidder enters the race for rights.

I think SKY are planning to bid big and are already preparing their war-chest. SKY will still have the money they planned to spend on Champions League rights plus I'm sure the recent carriage deals with Virgin Media and Talk Talk are also about raising revenue. Who knows maybe SKY will also use part of the funds raised from selling their stake in ITV.

The truth of the matter is who knows what will happen. I've seen a lot of speculation over the past 48 hours that moving forward SKY plan to bid for sports rights on a continental basis.

As we saw with the last Premiership rights bidding, the only companies that can justify the highest bids are those from platform owners. ESPN was blown out of the water by BT as it is not a platform operator so I can't see Discovery/EuroSport winning any Premiership rights either.
Sky can bid on a continent basis but it's up to the rights owners how they sell them. Having the same rights in three countries does open up some savings in covering the events and most TV rights revenue for a sport is raised in its home territory and that's where the key competition for rights will be.
In terms of BSkyB's war chest, it's been spent on the Italian and German acquisitions and the company's debt has substantially increased despite the ITV stake proceeds. So it will probably bid sensibly on the Premiership.

muppetman11 27-07-2014 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35717757)
I used the virgin offer to discuss a compromise with sky, I will get a 20% discount on my whole sky package. There are positives everywhere

I did exactly the same , I got an excellent discount and now have Sky Sports in HD back.

Thanks VM and BT Sport :D

denphone 27-07-2014 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35717761)
I did exactly the same , I got an excellent discount and now have Sky Sports in HD back.

Thanks VM and BT Sport :D

Its a bit like my parents who had Sky for many many years and when Virgin offered then a half price deal with BT Sports and fibre optic broadband included they phoned up Sky to see if they could match that offer but sadly Sky refused and now they are getting Virgin installed in a weeks time on a far better deal.

cityfan247 27-07-2014 11:46

VM's sky sports season ticket is a good idea and a step in the right direction to try and cap the expense. But i wish it could be extended to include HD and maybe premier sports and box nation etc to be a truly comprehensive sports 'season ticket' for those who want it.

Retail it at say £200-£250 a year. That's still a fair wedge but offers a very attractive saving for punters. i think that would increase subscriptions enough to increase revenue.

Chad 27-07-2014 12:33

Some really good deals on-line at the moment with Virgin Media. 100.00 credit to your account on their bundles if you order on-line by the 30th July. Plus, for example, if you take a bundle like Big Kahuna the first 6 months are only 25.00 plus line rental meaning your saving a further 120.00 in the first 6 months. Essentially you can add the SKY Sports pass for 10 months, in HD, and Virgin are covering the cost! SKY Sports and BT Sports at no extra cost.

telegramsam 27-07-2014 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35717765)
VM's sky sports season ticket is a good idea and a step in the right direction to try and cap the expense. But i wish it could be extended to include HD and maybe premier sports and box nation etc to be a truly comprehensive sports 'season ticket' for those who want it.

Retail it at say £200-£250 a year. That's still a fair wedge but offers a very attractive saving for punters. i think that would increase subscriptions enough to increase revenue.

Wouldn`t be a good deal for me mate as I have no interest in the sports on offer from Premier Sports and Boxnation. I accept it would be for some of course.

vincerooney 27-07-2014 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35717788)
Wouldn`t be a good deal for me mate as I have no interest in the sports on offer from Premier Sports and Boxnation. I accept it would be for some of course.

aye i dont see much of value on premier sports myself. i think i watched about an hour of it during the 3 months we had free

Doug P 29-07-2014 10:49

Premier Sports domestic rugby league coverage was quite awful.. would not pay a penny for the channel!

thenry 29-07-2014 16:22

Quote:

Manchester United legend Paul Scholes signs for BT Sport

Manchester United and England legend signs four-year deal to become a pundit for BT Sport.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/fo...11363923048663
He's brutal but its needed.

denphone 29-07-2014 16:41

l suppose that makes him a expert then.:nono:

Doug P 29-07-2014 16:44

They can sign Pope Francis and I still won't be buying their Champions League coverage!

thenry 29-07-2014 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35718200)

He'll show up the current soo called experts that sit in on PL games.

denphone 29-07-2014 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35718210)
He'll show up the current soo called experts that sit in on PL games.

In my opinion they are generally all much of a muchness.:td:

vincerooney 29-07-2014 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35718200)

He'll be a lot better than most on there den! He sounds monotone but compared to some of the clowns they have he'll be a vast improvement. Just need to get rid of Owen. I find it staggering he didn't audition for such an important role. Or if he did audition I find it staggering he was successful.

Replace him with gray. I find gray odious but he's good at his job at least

1andrew1 30-07-2014 12:54

BT Sport £13.50pm from October, up from £12pm. Presumably the relatively few VM customers who do not get it as part of a bundle will see the same rise.
http://assets.bt.com/v1/btmail/_2014...l7_online.html

andy_m 30-07-2014 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35718416)
BT Sport £13.50pm from October, up from £12pm. Presumably the relatively few VM customers who do not get it as part of a bundle will see the same rise.
http://assets.bt.com/v1/btmail/_2014...l7_online.html

When you consider that rise as a percentage of the whole it's staggering compared with the £2 rise for Sky Sports. Especially given that it'll be another year and presumably another price rise before we see any significant changes.

colin25 30-07-2014 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35718423)
When you consider that rise as a percentage of the whole it's staggering compared with the £2 rise for Sky Sports. Especially given that it'll be another year and presumably another price rise before we see any significant changes.

I suspect another increase once champions league kicks in next year anyway. If they get more epl rights, then prices will increase further

muppetman11 30-07-2014 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35718424)
I suspect another increase once champions league kicks in next year anyway. If they get more epl rights, then prices will increase further

It will come as a shock to the usual suspects who believed BT were a benevolent organisation.:D

colin25 30-07-2014 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35718446)
It will come as a shock to the usual suspects who believed BT were a benevolent organisation.:D

What! They weren't created to support virgin customers? I don't believe it

:D

telegramsam 30-07-2014 14:43

Most of us saw it coming and as it`s been pointed out there`ll be another rise next year,possibly larger with the champions league games being added by then.

denphone 30-07-2014 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35718450)
What! They weren't created to support virgin customers? I don't believe it

:D

Calm down dear as l do worry about your dodgy heart sometimes.:D

vincerooney 30-07-2014 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35718453)
Most of us saw it coming and as it`s been pointed out there`ll be another rise next year,possibly larger with the champions league games being added by then.

aye and the cheesy adverts banging the drum to say "prices are going up...but ....(as the presenters fly over europe in a helicopter past the eiffel tower and the leaning tower of pisa)....we have the champions league"

be something tacky and cheesy like that

denphone 31-07-2014 11:58

BT Sport adds German rights as Sky Sports battle continues.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4632/...ttle-continues

Quote:

BT Sport has added to its soccer rights portfolio by inking a deal to broadcast Germanys home friendly matches and live games from the DFB Cup, Germanys leading club team tournament, in the UK.

The news comes less than 24 hours after the broadcaster, which will shortly begin its second season of live Premier League game coverage, announced it had secured the rights to the Portuguese Primera Liga.

Doug P 31-07-2014 13:35

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...d-market-share

Not a shock in the soccer free quarter but the Grauniad really should check their facts:

The sports channels have an estimated 5 million viewers, because BT gives its the channels away for free to broadband customers, and because Virgin Media homes can tune in at no cost if they already pay for Sky Sports.

Um er no they cannot!

1andrew1 31-07-2014 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35718691)
BT Sport adds German rights as Sky Sports battle continues.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4632/...ttle-continues

Shrewd move given Germany's World Cup success.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35718424)

I think pricing hangs on those EPL rights. By the time that BT is showing Champions League matches in 2015/16, it will know what EPL rights it has from the 2016/17 season onwards and can set its prices accordingly. (It would be a bit strange for it to push up the price of BT Sport in 2015/16 if it knew that from 2016/17 it had won an inferior EPL rights package.)