Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   10 meg what download speed should i get (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47115)

DipsTheOne 09-05-2006 18:29

10 meg what download speed should i get

Any one know what download and upload speed i should have of 10meg please

Druchii 09-05-2006 18:34

Re: 10 meg what download speed should i get

10Mb = 10240kbps = 1280KBps. (roughly 1Megabyte per second)
Upload? 512? 512 = 512 = 64KBps (Roughly 64Kilobytes per second)
If its a 384 upload then it is...
384kbps = 48KBps (roughly 48Kilobytes per second)

Bits to bytes basically, 8 bits to one byte, and NTL measure there speeds in BITS. That means 1Mbit = 1024Bits = 128KBytes

DipsTheOne 09-05-2006 18:51

Thanks for your help there m8 cheer's :)

Druchii 09-05-2006 19:00

No problem :)

__spc__ 09-05-2006 20:11

And for comparison, my 10Mb pipe is actually providing 5Mb at the mo'...

Gridlocked 09-05-2006 20:38

That could be because your using USB instead of ethernet as i think the max you can get from the USB is 5.5Mb whereas in a perfect world the ethernet should give you what you pay for.

Druchii 09-05-2006 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlocked
That could be because your using USB instead of ethernet as i think the max you can get from the USB is 5.5Mb whereas in a perfect world the ethernet should give you what you pay for.

The clue is he's using Wi-Fwhich to me says, wireless router... which will be ethernet ;)

Gridlocked 09-05-2006 20:48

So he is, just got in from work and bit cream crackered so accept my apologies.
Spoke to someone in tech support who told me that so he must be talking tripe! He also said that it can also be affected by what other services you have like DTV and extra STB's and also what capacity the line running into the property is as they vary in sizes as the more STB's you have take up more bandwidth. I then requested a repull on mine after he told me this. I work for ntl so didnt quite expect hiim to feed me bull aswell!?

__spc__ 10-05-2006 06:07

How does the speed test work? Does it measure data sent router/modem to BB server, or from the PC on the LAN to the BB server?

The reason I ask is because I have two wireless routers running in WDS, so my WLAN throughput is halved, and maybe that is what is giving me 5.5Mbps; the advantage of WDS being that my second router/AP acts like a repeater, but is not wired to the first router/AP

Zee 10-05-2006 08:57

I rarly get 1MB/s download speeds.

Usually i get 400-600KB/s

My upload is always pretty good, 63KB/s i get pretty much all the time.

Could it have anything to do with the Silver 120 modem? Think a 250 would help?

magicker 10-05-2006 09:47

I am on NTL 10meg ... which is a laugh - at peak times I am lucky to get 1meg even early morning I can only get upto 6meg

quite frankly i would be happy with an average of 4 meg but seems a bit of a cheek to call this a 10meg service

__spc__ 10-05-2006 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicker
I am on NTL 10meg ... which is a laugh - at peak times I am lucky to get 1meg even early morning I can only get upto 6meg

quite frankly i would be happy with an average of 4 meg but seems a bit of a cheek to call this a 10meg service

It was made clear to me by CS that I was getting upto 10Mb - they couldn't at present sustain this rate; I was guaranteed 2Mb until June, then 4Mb, until the 10 could be sustained.

Teccie 10-05-2006 20:18

Is there any reason 10mb broadband downloads at around 100k/s in the evening - it all seems fine during the night/early morning. My mate on 2mb adsl downloads faster than me in the evening :( it sux.

James Henry 10-05-2006 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlocked
So he is, just got in from work and bit cream crackered so accept my apologies.
Spoke to someone in tech support who told me that so he must be talking tripe! He also said that it can also be affected by what other services you have like DTV and extra STB's and also what capacity the line running into the property is as they vary in sizes as the more STB's you have take up more bandwidth. I then requested a repull on mine after he told me this. I work for ntl so didnt quite expect hiim to feed me bull aswell!?

Grrr that's rubbish. He really is talking complete pap and doesn't understand what he's talking about.

Yes you can have your internet service affected however all that the extra STBs will do is mean the signal has to be split some more and will therefore be weaker, or a bad connection could cause noise.

If the signals going into and out of your cable modem or the set top that supplies your internet are within spec then this won't affect your speeds in any way at all, if they aren't your service should be broken pretty much 24x7.

The fact that your service goes slow in the evening only says that this isn't the case and it's due to a utilisation problem in your area, either with an upstream, a downstream, or the CPU on the router you connect to at ntl.

If the guy you'd spoken to had paid attention during his training and kept up to date on the tools available to them he might have been able to diagnose this properly.

Teccie 10-05-2006 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by __spc__
It was made clear to me by CS that I was getting upto 10Mb - they couldn't at present sustain this rate; I was guaranteed 2Mb until June, then 4Mb, until the 10 could be sustained.

if thats the case why do we pay for 10mb ?? tomorrow ima downgrade to 2mb, i am now feelin utterly ripped off.