Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   having problems setting up belkin wireless g router. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=48552)

heyyo 11-06-2006 18:25

having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

i have followed the cd installation guide, but it can't seem to detect my interenet. i have made sure all the cable settings are correct, but i don't know what the problem is....

is it dynamic ip i am meant to select
pptp
pp0e

thanks...

nffc 11-06-2006 19:12

Re: having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

NTL is dynamic. What's it showing as the WAN IP?

homealone 11-06-2006 19:21

"obtain an IP address automatically"

"DHCP server enable"

should sort out the main connection - best do this wired & get it working, before worrying about setting up the wireless stuff.

to check it is working, do a DHCP release then a DHCP renew & you should pick up a valid IP.

If that doesn't work, make sure you have rebooted in the order, modem 1st, router 2nd, PC third & make sure each component has time to settle down before booting the next one.

pop80_uk 12-06-2006 13:41

Have you entered the routers set up screen? Are you conneting via wireless or wired connection?

Thanks

firestorm 12-06-2006 19:53

hi i have a belkin mimo modem do you have the same? my problem was firewalling as I could not get my bitornado p2p to green status.

Guess what i got i working via this way,

1. connect your motorola to your pc usb and the wan connection on the motorola sb to the wan port on the wireless router

2. completely disconnect allyour ethernet cable from the back of your pc, now leaving you wilth only the motorola sb usb plugged in.

3. whoops you need to copy the MAC address settings of the motorola sb modem (make a note as you will insert these into the belkin wireless router.

4. insert virtual servers ip/ports etc into the firewall option restart the pc and you should connect.

try this see if parts of what im saying will help you out.

PS i think the problem is that you can only map ip 192.168.1 to 100 on the belkin wireless modems. Im not sure but im current sresearching if there are wireless modems maybe netgear that let you play about with the dhcp scope of the roter setup? maybe??

heyyo 16-06-2006 15:34

my belkin router is connected wirlessely to my laptop and via an ethernet cable to my desktop computer, it now works, but there is a problem of regular disconnection which is resolved by unplugging the power cable to the router/ and repluging back in....

does anyone know how i can stop these problems.

heyyo 24-06-2006 21:09

can anyone help....anyone here with a belkin router

Slyder 25-06-2006 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyyo
can anyone help....anyone here with a belkin router

Trade it in for a Linksys router... problem solved. ;)

etccarmageddon 25-06-2006 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyder
Trade it in for a Linksys router... problem solved. ;)

many a true word spoken in jest. ie. that's what fixed my belkin problems.

Lee Coby 28-06-2006 10:05

Hi there
I have a belkin g+ mimo router which came with a usb wireless adaptor.
the thing is the signal seems to be crap and cant can even connect to the net from the 2nd computer becouse signal is so weak

Would it be better for me to get a pci wireless adaptor instead or dont it make much of a diffrence??

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Debcat1972 28-06-2006 10:26

i would check that there are no household appliances interfering with your wireless(phones,microwaves etc etc), i also have wireless and use to find my connection keep dropping then i realised that my cordless phone was sat not far from the router,i moved it to the other side of the room and didnt get anymore problems.

Lee Coby 28-06-2006 10:42

Hi there thanks for the reply

Ahh could be the problem i have a cordless phone sitting about 2 foot away from my downstairs pc will move it today and see if it sorts the problem, would anything else interfere with it??? like a lcd tv screen???

Cheers

Lee

etccarmageddon 28-06-2006 11:05

if you've only just purchased it then I'd honestly suggest you take it back and change it for a linksys wireless router.

Lee Coby 28-06-2006 11:12

Hi there
Are belkin really that bad then...lol ive had it about 4 days now... so its still new how much does a lynksys cost anyaway???

I purchased mine for £69 that was including the usb adaptor

Cheers

Lee

etccarmageddon 28-06-2006 11:19

erm yes - honestly I took mine back after lots of signal issues. the bloody thing would work one min and fail the next. sometimes it was crap if within feet of the router. if you've only had it 4 days dont waste any more time on the pile of crap. linksys is probably within the same price range.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

the one I got was the pre-n one when it came out last year - paid £120 - for what they boasted was the dogs - utter utter crap. when taking it back a bloke in the queue told me this was a common issue.