Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Eurozone will collapse... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33678876)

Osem 20-06-2011 21:36

Eurozone will collapse...

Quote:

Jack Straw has predicted the collapse of the eurozone and urged the UK to consider the "alternatives" as the Greek debt crisis worsens.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13839381

I seem to recall quite a few pronouncements Jack Straw made which didn't come to pass but is he right about this?

chris9991 20-06-2011 21:55

Re: Eurozone will collapse...

He is probably understating how bad it will be and for how long risks will remain. It's highly likely that due to the UK proximity that we'd be sucked in. At worst we could lose a lot of trading partners (due to their economic difficulties).

At best it could just affect some very wealthy individuals and countries ( I can't see this happening though)

I think what we might have to prepare ourselves for is what happened to Japan after it suffered in 1990. It had a lot of similarities to the economic outlook that we face now - property bubble popped and an ageing population

Derek 21-06-2011 00:29

I reckon in years to come Gordon Brown, regardless of his other faults, will be seen as quite good for putting his foot down and not allowing Blair to drag us into the Euro.

It's time seems to be drawing to a close in it's current form, a one size fits all policy for Europe was never going to work.

Chris 21-06-2011 09:13

I guess we have to credit Brown with something ... It might as well be rescuing us from the Eurozone nightmare. :tu:

Hom3r 21-06-2011 12:42

I think we should leave the EU. We are one of the founding nations and yet our voice seems to have been drowned out.

Chris 21-06-2011 12:49

We are neither a founding nation of the EU, nor are we a member of the common currency of the EU. ;)

Osem 21-06-2011 13:20

Aside from the fact that 'one size fits all' economics evidently doesn't work, it seems to me that the EU is fundamentally flawed in the sense that the larger it's become, the less able it is to be decisive when tough action is required.

I always felt there'd be a growing sense of them and us between the member states of the EU and the notion that we'd all live happily ever after in prosperity would be shown to be a pipe dream.

I really do think there's a lot worse to come.

denphone 21-06-2011 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35261225)
I guess we have to credit Brown with something ... It might as well be rescuing us from the Eurozone nightmare. :tu:

l will have to put this on record on you praising Gordon Brown.;)

devilincarnate 21-06-2011 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35261342)

I really do think there's a lot worse to come.

Yes I believe this as well, as we/others are the ship and they are the iceberg:erm:

Anonymouse 21-06-2011 16:53

Keeping us out of the euro was the only good thing he did, really. Who was it who wasted £10,000,000,000 of our money trying uselessly to keep the pound in the ERM, though? Was that Brown?

A single currency can't work unless it's the only currency, anywhere. Oh, that's so likely, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm only surprised the damn thing's stil going. The sooner it collapses and we can get on with our lives, the better.

Hugh 21-06-2011 17:34

£3.3 billion, to be accurate, of which £2.4 billion was lost profit of not keeping enough foreign currency reserves to profit on Sterlings devaluation.

All down to Norm Lamont....

denphone 21-06-2011 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35261471)
£3.3 billion, to be accurate, of which £2.4 billion was lost profit of not keeping enough foreign currency reserves to profit on Sterlings devaluation.

Nice to know you are blaming a politician other then a labour one.;)

Damien 21-06-2011 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35261471)

Norman Lamont! Knew it was him! Even when it was Gordon Brown I knew it was him!!

:D

denphone 21-06-2011 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35261504)
Norman Lamont! Knew it was him! Even when it was Gordon Brown I knew it was him!!

:D

You sure about that.;):D:D;)

Hugh 21-06-2011 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35261475)
Nice to know you are blaming a politician other then a labour one.;)

I hold those who are responsible responsible, no matter what party - you should try it....;)