Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   No Freeview signal! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33668105)

kateblacker 06-08-2010 15:04

No Freeview signal!

i have recently moved house and cannot get our freeview box to work. it keeps saying no signal but we have checked the aerial and all the cables, tryed an indoor aerial booster and contacted the previous tenant who has had no trouble at all with her signal while in this house. we have also tryed a friends freeview box which also recieved no signal. the neighbours have had no trouble with their signal and there has been no weather changes. we have retuned the freeview box with no change to the signal. someone has mentioned that because its a cheaper freeview box it only tunes using uhf and thats the problem but do not want to go and buy an expensive freeview box if thats not the problem. we never had any trouble with the freeview box in our old house and it would always work fine on just an indoor aerial. the aerial at our new house is a big rooftop one. any help appreciated :)

Chris 06-08-2010 15:30

Re: no signal of freeview!!!

When you say the previous tenant 'had no trouble at all', are you sure she understood that you were asking about Freeview? The aerial on the house may be just perfect for the old analogue signal, but may be completely the wrong type for Freeview.

Visit this site and give it your postcode:

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?MAP=661,936

This will give you a whole pile of detail about the sort of aerial that should be installed on the house for Freeview. Post the results and we can take it from there.

Ken W 06-08-2010 15:37

Re: No Freeview signal!

Try rescanning your freeview box.

Chris 06-08-2010 15:55

She has already done that. And she has tried a second Freeview box. At the moment, the evidence is pointing towards an incorrect aerial. The results from Wolfbane will help decide.

Kymmy 06-08-2010 16:11

Is there an amplifier inline anywhere? Just that if the amp is powered off then the signal will be near zero

Pauls9 06-08-2010 16:18

Another random thought: Does the cable loop through any other rooms - are there any plugs, sockets or other connections that have become disconnected?

kateblacker 06-08-2010 21:57

ok i may sound realy stupid now but from what i can gather from that website it said antenna (suggestion) standard. i dont know much about all the technical stuff but if it helps my postcode is pl24 2pw you may be able to make more sence of it than me. and yes the previous tenant did have freeview. have you heard about it being the box before? thanks for the quick reply. :)

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

oh and the cable does run through the wall but to check there wasnt a problem with that we ran a long cable directly from the aerial into the freeview box. no there is no amplifier connected. we have tried an arial booster (dont know if thats the same thing) but have tried with and with out the booster and the booster on its own with no joy :/

nodrogd 07-08-2010 00:17

From the info on Wolfbane you should have the correct group aerial installed as you're area has now gone fully digital. Have you done a full factory reset on the box to start it up from scratch, as if you don't do this some boxes won't find channels. If this doesn't work then a signal test is required to see if the aerial system is at fault.

It could be that the previous occupant had a more sensitive receiver. Freeview boxes can be very variable in their performance between manufacturers and in some cases even between different models.

kateblacker 07-08-2010 00:52

yes i have restored the factory settings. thanks everyone for all your help. i now feel happy going out and spending money to get this fixed knowing thats its not something i can sort from home. :)