Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705325)

RichardCoulter 30-08-2017 19:43

Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network?

Just come off the phone from a friend who has been told that VM have completed phase I of a three phase programme to build their own mobile network.

Apparently, this is because of the restrictive practices being imposed on them by their current provider EE eg they stopped them offering unlimited data, being able to cap customers to prevent huge bills etc.

Not sure if this is in the public domain; has anyone else heard about this?

Inactive Digital 30-08-2017 19:59

Re: Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network?

Yes and no. As part of the renewal with EE announced at the start of the year, Virgin are becoming a 'thick' MVNO, meaning they are taking on more responsibility such as billing and simcards etc:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...less-contract/

Paul 30-08-2017 20:36

I didnt know BT owned EE .....

Ignitionnet 30-08-2017 21:46

They are not building their own network but doing more of the 'work' running over the top of the EE network.

There's an on-off thing running with Vodafone over an asset swap that would involve Virgin Media and Vodafone merging in the British Isles.

VM don't have the money to full-on build a mobile network, and Liberty Global aren't especially inclined to provide or guarantee it due in no small part to the issues with Lightning.

RichardCoulter 30-08-2017 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35914632)

When they needed to pay off some debt years ago, BT (IMO unwisely) sold off their mobile division.

To get back in the game they bought EE not too long ago.

Thanks for the replies everybody, I was led to believe that Virgin Mobile were building their own masts, laying their own cables etc to create their own network.

pip08456 31-08-2017 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35914632)

They bought it in January 2016 for £12.5 billion.

Ignitionnet 31-08-2017 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35914641)
Thanks for the replies everybody, I was led to believe that Virgin Mobile were building their own masts, laying their own cables etc to create their own network.

I can't say for sure it's not happening, it's just vanishingly unlikely. Liberty last I heard were rather unhappy with Lightning's progress, seriously behind schedule, and are extremely unlikely to green light another massive infrastructure program by VM running simultaneously.

Paul 31-08-2017 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35914662)
They bought it in January 2016 for £12.5 billion.

So it would seem.

I thought O2 was their mobile system (Cellnet when I last used it) but apparently they sold that to Telefonica way back in 2006.

Hugh 31-08-2017 18:54

BT Cellnet demerged in 2002 (I was a Programme Manager there at the time), consolidated with other European mobile companies to become mmO2, which was bought, as you say, by Telefonica.

RichardCoulter 31-08-2017 19:49

It did seem daft to sell off what was obviously going to be a growth market; maybe they were so cash strapped at the time that they had no alternative.

I vaguely remember getting a load of documentation/new share certificates when the two companies split and then eventually receiving some cash from Telefonica.