Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   No signal on new Freesat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675792)

wattfield 12-03-2011 22:55

No signal on new Freesat

I've just changed from a Sky to a Freesat box. The Sky box was showing "No Signal". I tried the Freesat box, and again got no signal. I tried a new LNB, and it worked - for about an hour. Now the Freesat is showing "No Signal". I've checked the connection at both ends, and tried a "first time install" again, but it's still not working. Have I missed something?

It's a Bush BFSAT02SD box.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Chris 12-03-2011 22:58

Re: No signal on new Freesat

Could be dodgy f-connectors ... Especially the one at the LNB end of the cable, as it has been exposed to the elements. What did it look like? And did you seal it onto the LNB with self-amalgamating tape?

MadGamer 12-03-2011 23:01

This thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/frees...no-signal.html seems to suggest that the dish isn't properly aligned. Oh and welcome to CF :)

Chris 12-03-2011 23:09

That's not a good thread to be linking to Wayne. The OP in that topic had already moved his dish to try to get UK channels instead of Polish ones, but he didnt do it properly. Hence his problem was a misaligned dish.

the dish might be off in this case also, but the fact that it worked for the first hour or so after changing the LNB suggests not. The dish would have to be very loose and wattfield would have to have accidentally aligned it whilst fiddling with the LNB.

I really think that the first thing to check here is the integrity of the f-connector that joins the cable to the LNB.

wattfield 12-03-2011 23:12

Thanks for your quick replies, and for the welcome!

I've checked the F connectors and they seem to be OK. I haven't taped the outside one yet, I wanted to make sure it was working first, but it was taped before, and there seems to be no corrosion or water ingress. The dish also seems solidly installed, so I don't think it's moved, and it was working on Sky until a week ago. I don't know if there's anything left to try, apart from going over it all again!

Chris 12-03-2011 23:18

The systematic approach is always best. You've changed the STB and the LNB, so the dish and the cable are all that's left. If you're happy that the cable and the connectors are fine, then it's time to focus on the dish.

Have you had high winds recently? What has the weather been like today? Did it change when the dish stopped working?

The dish can ge misaligned over time and yet appear to be solid. You could try wiggling it a bit and have someone watch the TV to see what happens. If you want to have a proper go at the dish you should get yourself a sat finder, otherwise you're in for a world of pain.

wattfield 12-03-2011 23:24

Thanks again. I''ll try refitting the outside F connector in the morning, it's dark & wet outside so no point trying it tonight! I'll let you know how I get on.

wattfield 13-03-2011 13:00

On the LNB, there's a switch that can be set to positions 1,2,3,4,or5. Does it matter how this is mset?

Chris 13-03-2011 17:59

Yes, it does. This is the LNB's skew setting. It needs to be the same on the new LNB as it was on the old one.

If you can't remember what it was, try all five of them one at a time and see if it makes any difference.

wattfield 14-03-2011 01:17

Got it!
I had checked the connections earlier, but I took the connector off the LNB end, cut it back a couple of inches and reattached it, and it works!

Kymmy 14-03-2011 09:22

Sounds like it was just a dodgy connection, always best to cut back an inch and reattach the F plugs as even a bit of corrosion can have extreme effects on attenuation of the signal or LNB voltage/tone feed.

Glad you are sorted and welcome to the forum :clap:

Chris 14-03-2011 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by wattfield (Post 35192467)
Got it!
I had checked the connections earlier, but I took the connector off the LNB end, cut it back a couple of inches and reattached it, and it works!

ithankyou. ;)