Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Dwain Chambers set for Olympic verdict (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33636233)

Maggy 18-07-2008 10:21

Dwain Chambers set for Olympic verdict

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...cs/7503792.stm

The result should be this morning...

What really annoys me is that I've never seen or heard an apology from this person about what he did..until I do I'm inclined to think the ban should stay.Even then it would depend a lot on what he had to say.

So do you think he should be allowed onto the team or do you think the ban should stand?

Kymmy 18-07-2008 10:38

Re: Dwain Chambers set for Olympic verdict

I personally think that the ban should stand.

He made the choice to take steroids knowing full well the rules and bans subjected to people caught...

Kymmy

LondonRoad 18-07-2008 10:39

Quite simply he's a cheat. The ban should stay in place.

I know the legal arguments may allow him back in but morally it undermines the whole olympic ethos if cheats are allowed to compete.

punky 18-07-2008 10:42

We shouldn't overturn the ban for one person. He knew the consequences before he took drugs. Took them anyway. The olympics can't mean that much to him.

LondonRoad 18-07-2008 11:52

Chambers still banned: :):)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...cs/7503792.stm

Wicked_and_Crazy 18-07-2008 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmitage (Post 34602796)

The hearing today was for a temporary lift until the full hearing.

peanut 18-07-2008 12:52

Common sense prevailed at last.

At the end of the day, his body is still enhanced by the use of steriods, so if he won at the olympics it would be arguable to whether it was still fair or not.

I don't like his attitude because he says you can't win today unless you use performance enhancing drugs so I hope he gets everything he deserves.

Shadow Demon UK 18-07-2008 13:26

What i don't understand is what the first two year ban he got was then? Surely that's pointless if he's going to be banned from the Olympics, why don't they just change it to banning people who take steroids for life. Personally i think he served the time (2 years) for taking steroids and learnt from his mistakes and should have been allowed to compete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutkp (Post 34602826)
I don't like his attitude because he says you can't win today unless you use performance enhancing drugs so I hope he gets everything he deserves.

He did actually withdraw and change that statement at a later date to say that you can win without taking performance enhancing drugs.

Kymmy 18-07-2008 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy (Post 34602814)
The hearing today was for a temporary lift until the full hearing.

Which won't be heard till March next year, too late for Olympic 2008 and hopefully by 2012 he'll be a has been ;)

Thinking about it though his defence wsa that he couldn;t ply his trade due to the ban, if he had won then couldn't every banned car driver claim the same????

Kymmy

peanut 18-07-2008 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34602840)
He did actually withdraw and change that statement at a later date to say that you can win without taking performance enhancing drugs.

With the backlash that came from that statement after the damage was done it was understandable to change his statement don't you think. I think he meant what he said and was told to change his statement afterwards or risk further troubles.

Believe what you like, you don't say something like that for nothing.

punky 18-07-2008 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34602841)
Thinking about it though his defence wsa that he couldn;t ply his trade due to the ban, if he had won then couldn't every banned car driver claim the same????

They do. Sometimes the court acts on it, sometimes they don't.

Maggy 18-07-2008 13:57

I have to say I'm pleased..not that that I'm vindictive but because unless you have rules that you stick to in sport you then run the danger bringing that sport into disrepute.

I also think that his admission to the BBC was pretty damning.Not only did he affect himself but he affected the other athletes on the relay team who hadn't cheated.

Quote:

After his positive test in 2003, Chambers admitted he had taken other banned substances to enhance his performance and also revealed to the BBC that he had started taking THG 18 months before he was eventually caught.
The revelation led to him being stripped of the 100m gold medal he won at the European Championship in 2002 and also cost him and his team-mates the gold they had won in the 4x100m relay.

Kymmy 18-07-2008 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34602864)
They do. Sometimes the court acts on it, sometimes they don't.

Yes but a judge taking into account the driver needs his car for work is totally different than the driver saying "I need the car for work so you can;t ban me"

In the end he's out of this years olympics so job done :)

Kymmy

TheDaddy 18-07-2008 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34602760)
The olympics can't mean that much to him.

Hmm by that reasoning The Olympics can't mean that much to any nation other than ourselves and Norway, as we are the only 2 nations in the World that ban drug cheats from the Olympics. Not that I am sticking up for him, it's just a pity the rest of the World can't treat cheats in the same way imo

c_r 18-07-2008 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34602941)
Hmm by that reasoning The Olympics can't mean that much to any nation other than ourselves and Norway, as we are the only 2 nations in the World that ban drug cheats from the Olympics. Not that I am sticking up for him, it's just a pity the rest of the World can't treat cheats in the same way imo

I agree completely. It seems totally unfair that Chambers can't compete at the Olympics yet there will be athletes there who have also failed drugs tests. And in defence of him, he's one of the few people who have actually admitted their guilt.