Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Speed Tripled - Nice & Simple (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686272)

craigj2k12 16-03-2012 02:53

Re: Speed Tripled - Nice & Simple

this is what i get when i sign in...

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8414/88352165.png

then when i close that i get...

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1053/90362170.png

But Ben MCr did mention that areas with enough spare utilisation are able to get the upgrades early, I suspect my area is lower than your so maybe the upgrades arent coming to yours yet with it being higher

Chrysalis 16-03-2012 02:58

My area according to VMs checker will have it by july and I am also on one of the new configs as well.

craigj2k12 16-03-2012 03:23

yeah but your still running on 4 ds channels arent you, which suggests your area hasnt had the 100mb upgrades never mind the speed doubling ones

boroboi 16-03-2012 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12 (Post 35400517)
yeah but your still running on 4 ds channels arent you, which suggests your area hasnt had the 100mb upgrades never mind the speed doubling ones

An area can still support 100MB even though it only runs four DS channels, which mine has for a while.

The additional channel bonding seems to be in line with the speed doubling upgrades or general capicity increases.

Kymmy 16-03-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by boroboi (Post 35400682)
An area can still support 100MB even though it only runs four DS channels, which mine has for a while.

The additional channel bonding seems to be in line with the speed doubling upgrades or general capicity increases.

Being able to run a few people on 100Mb at 4 channels is a lot different than being able to run many more people on 100Mb at 8 channels.

boroboi 16-03-2012 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35400685)
Being able to run a few people on 100Mb at 4 channels is a lot different than being able to run many more people on 100Mb at 8 channels.

Indeed you are right, but the point i was making is that it's still officially supported (not ideally) even with only 4 downstream.

My area must be full of tightwads on lower tiers for them not to bother with bonding the channels, seems to be more upload congestion in Middlesbrough atm.

Chrysalis 16-03-2012 12:24

Quote:

what 100meg upgrades?

There are so many 100meg areas with 4 channels its enough to assume extra DS channels are not standard 100meg upgrades, and more likely advanced work for the speed doubling.

The green bar from what I have seen posted should still come up even if the area isnt due yet as some people says its there but doesnt let them upgrade.

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by boroboi (Post 35400690)
Indeed you are right, but the point i was making is that it's still officially supported (not ideally) even with only 4 downstream.

My area must be full of tightwads on lower tiers for them not to bother with bonding the channels, seems to be more upload congestion in Middlesbrough atm.

indeed, my area has had 100meg enabled since sept.

boroboi 16-03-2012 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35400712)

The green bar from what I have seen posted should still come up even if the area isnt due yet as some people says its there but doesnt let them upgrade.

Yeah, my green bar leads me to details about my new speed, and then when asked with "What should i do?" It says nothing, and that upgrades will be made before i'm boosted to the 100MB speeds. After that i can only close the popup window.

General Maximus 16-03-2012 15:18

Quote:

they released 100mbit in my area in November and that was/still is with 4 channels and I don't have any problems at all maxing out my connection.

craigj2k12 16-03-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35400712)
what 100meg upgrades?

There are so many 100meg areas with 4 channels its enough to assume extra DS channels are not standard 100meg upgrades, and more likely advanced work for the speed doubling..

My area got 5 channels before the speed doubling was eve announced, although when I first signed up for 100Mb, I only had 4 channels available

Begize 17-03-2012 19:53

I had the box when I logged in and it let me order, but the only option was to book an engineer. I need a superhub but I thought they would just post one out and I could do the rest myself.

Do they send them out anyway and book an engineer incase or will they contact me to give me the choice?

Unfortunately the only suitable dates on the system were late April and May and I wouldn't mind it a bit sooner if I can.

scrooge 17-03-2012 20:09

I had the choice of a self install or a paid for engineer visit. Naturally I chose self install!
I've had the confirmation email and it's listed in the 'track orders' screen although no HDNL tracking number yet.

Skie 17-03-2012 20:51

Anyone willing to PM me the link to the upgrade form? I just get an error message when clicking the link in the banner (a 404 style error, not a message saying my area isnt ready). Thankies :o

daemon 17-03-2012 22:21

I am currently on 20M service (with a small blue ntl: modem) in the Biggleswade area and experiencing intermittent service loss and slow speeds particularly on Saturday evenings. I've checked my modems functionality against the signal level sticky in this forum and all appears within specification.

On sigining in to My Virgin Media today I saw the green banner and followed the more info link which gave me information that my connection will be upgraded from 20M to 60M with the need for a new (free) modem - would that be a Superhub? There was an Upgrade Me link presented.

I am currently on a discounted 20M service (originally £37/mo reduced by £20/mo on a 3 for £58/mo offer some time ago). Will adopting this upgrade (1) improve my internet operation and (2) affect my monthly charge i.e. will I lose my £20/mo discount through it being seen as a contract change?

TIA,
Neil Darlow

thenry 17-03-2012 22:26

1, speeds; probably. the connection will be stable.

2, no. its a free upgrade.