Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Changing Subnet and IP (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33606319)

ali2487 15-01-2007 13:28

Changing Subnet and IP

Hi

does anyone know how to change subnet, ip and default gateway? i am on DHCP with ntl. i need to this because i have been banned from a game which i play online

any ideas?

MovedGoalPosts 15-01-2007 14:08

Re: Changing Subnet and IP

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33602406

Presumably you've learnt your lesson and wont' misbehave again. Bear in mind that most places the do issue bans don't welcome people trying to reregister.

ali2487 15-01-2007 14:14

well i didnt misbehave or anything just seems these guys have some sort of grudge against me for some reason must be the nickname i use.....

anyways they have banned my subnet i believe because my IP has changed 3 times since the banning but i still cant connect to the server.............

MovedGoalPosts 15-01-2007 14:20

The subnet is dictated by the local cable connection setup, you won't be able to get round that.

Accept you've been banned, move on and find some other server to play on.

ali2487 15-01-2007 14:23

would the subnet change if i switched from ntl to telewest?

if i rang ntl and asked them to change my subnet would this be possible? what about if i asked them to change my dhcp server?

MovedGoalPosts 15-01-2007 14:29

You cannot change from ntl to telewest, you have one or the other franchise, which depends on the area you live in and who originally laid the cableing.

If you are that desperate to change then you'll have to move to a ADSL (BT phone line style) ISP.

Bill C 15-01-2007 14:46

Just to back Rob up here.

It is not possible for NTL to move you from where you are now.
It is not possible for NTL to change your sub net.

Sorry but that's it. Lesson learned and all that.

Virgin Mary 15-01-2007 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali2487 (Post 34198082)
would the subnet change if i switched from ntl to telewest?

if i rang ntl and asked them to change my subnet would this be possible? what about if i asked them to change my dhcp server?

Have a look here.

ali2487 15-01-2007 15:52

i thought it might not be possible well i really dont know what these guys have against me

well ill just live with it then :) thanks for the help guys ;)

brundles 15-01-2007 16:00

Must admit banning a whole ISP subnet seems a bit over the top considering the number of people that will actually affect.

Dai 15-01-2007 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by brundles (Post 34198151)
Must admit banning a whole ISP subnet seems a bit over the top considering the number of people that will actually affect.

It's certainly not something we'll do too often on our game servers. For us it's a last resort if a particular nuisance player simply won't accept the ban. The guys that change IPs many times in an attempt to get back eventually leave you no other option.

Ali2487:
If you really are a reformed character or simply made a mistake, best thing to do is to email a game moderator and grovel a bit.

brundles 15-01-2007 23:29

I thought that's what you'd say DaiNasty.

Kind of like the reason that TW have no choice but to use traffic management rather than traffic shaping - because people refuse to work with traffic shaping, insisting on using VPNs, SSL connections, etc. leaving them no choice :mad:

(That's a whole other thread though)

Dai 16-01-2007 10:42

You have to work with the tools you have available. In an ideal world I could calculate an exact GUID for a cheating player and exclude him specifically.

Shame it ain't an ideal world.

FTB Slate 16-04-2008 01:43

I will tell you why he is banned from our server and our game. Ali2487 has continually hacked our forum and server, he is alot of other things which have nothing to do with gaming, we have filed a formal complaint with his internet provider. He should also be banned from this forum because he will eventually do something here. That is what he does. He is not a fair gamer. A word to the wise i would not be involved with him ever again. You can see just by his post here that he is still trying to cheat and learn how to hack our forum and server again. I will be sending a copy of this forum thread to his internet provider. Be warned

nffc 16-04-2008 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTB Slate (Post 34529807)
I will tell you why he is banned from our server and our game. Ali2487 has continually hacked our forum and server, he is alot of other things which have nothing to do with gaming, we have filed a formal complaint with his internet provider. He should also be banned from this forum because he will eventually do something here. That is what he does. He is not a fair gamer. A word to the wise i would not be involved with him ever again. You can see just by his post here that he is still trying to cheat and learn how to hack our forum and server again. I will be sending a copy of this forum thread to his internet provider. Be warned

Wow, talk about bumping a 15 month old thread, when the member has not even logged in here since May 2007.