Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Tower PC intermittent display problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699444)

Osem 26-11-2014 15:47

Tower PC intermittent display problem

The wife's Medion PC seems to have a mind of its own to the extent that when we move the case inadvertently sometimes the monitor loses its picture even though both PC and monitor remain powered up and on. I'm guessing a loose connection and have had a fiddle with some of the wires to see if I can recreate the problem but to no avail so am wondering if the problem is in the case somewhere and where/what/how to check. Can anyone assist?

TIA as always. :tu:

Taf 26-11-2014 16:00

Re: Tower PC intermittent display problem

Medion still under warranty?

Does the monitor come up with a "no signal" screen? If so try the video lead connections.

Pauls9 26-11-2014 16:05

Do you have another PC you can swap displays with?

Osem 26-11-2014 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35743330)

Does the monitor come up with a "no signal" screen? If so try the video lead connections.

No sadly. It's about 4 years old now.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35743330)

Not sure, last time it happened the wife was using the PC and can't recall. Will fiddle with them anyway.

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauls9 (Post 35743333)
Do you have another PC you can swap displays with?

Yes have another monitor we could use. The one in question is newer than the PC and was bought separately - LG E1940s Flatron. I'll try swapping them and see what happens.

Thanks both! :tu:

qasdfdsaq 26-11-2014 16:40

What type of connector is it using?

Osem 26-11-2014 16:46

One of those plugs with 2 location screws in it.

qasdfdsaq 26-11-2014 17:37

That leaves about five different types of plugs :-/

heero_yuy 26-11-2014 18:03

Trial by substitution. Try the other monitor, if that's no good, then the lead. If still trouble then it's into the box. Could be something as simple as re-seating the graphics card.

Osem 26-11-2014 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35743350)
That leaves about five different types of plugs :-/

Really? Well tbh they all look the same to me. ;) Will take a pic and post that here. TVM

Osem 26-11-2014 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35743357)
Trial by substitution. Try the other monitor, if that's no good, then the lead. If still trouble then it's into the box. Could be something as simple as re-seating the graphics card.

Yep, will have a proper look and fiddle around tomorrow.

qasdfdsaq 26-11-2014 19:10

That's an old analogue VGA plug. They're not as prone to these types of issues unless it's a very long cable or interference - could be the monitor.

Taf 26-11-2014 19:37

Does it have a plug/socket at each end? I've seen failures with the type that are hard-wired to the monitor, internal wiring snapped.

Hom3r 26-11-2014 21:02

Its the SVGA type, a friend had problems with his, it was a bent pin, do you unplug/connect a lot?

It could be the monitor.

But generally monitors are fairly solid, I've never had a monitor die on me in all the years we've had them, an old Atari ST Colour monitor is still going strong after all these years.

What do you thing about the GFX card guys, it might need taking out and putting back in?

Osem 26-11-2014 21:20

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The cable doesn't get plugged/unplugged very often, the last time prior to today was when I connected the new monitor a couple of years ago. The computer is in my wife's study and isn't used/abused by the kids either. The end shown in the picture was connected to the rear of the PC case and the end attached to the monitor is the same - not hard wired. I'll fiddle around with the cable tomorrow to see if it's sensitive to being moved.

:tu:

alanbjames 27-11-2014 10:01

Have a look in the VGA connector to see if there are any loose or bent pins.