Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What have you fixed lately? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694731)

SnoopZ 16-09-2023 08:31

Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 36159407)
Yeah, dismantled them using some pry tools a 1.5 cross (+) screwdriver and some tweezers. I didn't have to solder or use a jig, because they only needed a good clean with Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9%.

I followed that video guide, it was really helpful, just try and be delicate with the ribbon cables and wires, although some slight force was needed when trying to pry open the controller at the start.

Just ordered this kit to see if I can fix mine.

Is your fix still working?

Jimmy-J 16-09-2023 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36160115)
Just ordered this kit to see if I can fix mine.

Is your fix still working?

Hi SnoopZ, one of the controllers I did has returned to having stick drift, but the other one is still working fine. Looks like I'll have to get the solder out.

SnoopZ 17-09-2023 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 36160146)
Hi SnoopZ, one of the controllers I did has returned to having stick drift, but the other one is still working fine. Looks like I'll have to get the solder out.

That's what I want to avoid, I've since bought 2 controllers so if I can't fix the 3rd without solder I may see if I can use the warranty from the other black controller and be naughty, just need to figure out if there is a serial number that is different but I can't see one on the outside or on the box.

alferret 18-09-2023 09:54

Woke up this morning to a leak from the roof above the bathroom. Cant see where its coming from but I have taken the light fitting down and taped up the wires. Waiting on a roofer to give me a callback/visit.
I will need to fix the ceiling tho.

Itshim 19-09-2023 12:10

Can not be bothered , give away, surprising what people will take , good luck to them. Buy new . Life's to short to even try, change a fuse is as far as I go.

Dude111 19-09-2023 18:33

I last fixed one of my cassettes :)

Jaymoss 20-09-2023 17:48

My overheating CPU

13700K known to run hot but when installed it would power throttle around 180 watts and 99 degrees but because it worked fine I just CBA to mess any further at the time.

Decided to reseat the cooler with some good old Artic MX 4 today 12 degrees lower idle and now can push it to 5.3GHZ on 200watts and 85 degrees. Wish I had bothered earlier now hahaha

SnoopZ 02-11-2023 23:18

Came home from work and realised the heating hadn't been on even though I switched it on 30mins before leaving work at 10pm as I had forgot earlier to give it a quick boost.

It turns out my Tado smart thermostat wasn't connected to the internet, all lights on the bridge were out. The power adapter that the internet bridge plugs into was dead with a burning smell, luckily using a 5V phone charger fixed it.

heero_yuy 08-12-2023 14:23

A traditional 40 bulb set of Christmas tree lights. Bulbs were all OK except two the wires had corroded through. Replaced them and now working.

To find the break I used a handy little screwdriver gadget that has a couple of batteries and a LED inside with some other components. If you bring the tip near even an insulated live wire the LED lights up so I just followed the liveness along the chain of holders until it stopped at the fault.

heero_yuy 02-04-2024 14:36

Just been going through the solar rock lights: 4 medium with 3 LEDs and 6 large with 4 LEDs in each of the reflectors.

Mostly just light fettling of the battery compartments and some engineer's spray but one needed a couple of wires replaced that had corroded through. All out now with charged batteries.

Six lanterns still to go, these are very old and the plastic is starting the disintegrate. Still better than the cheap Chinese tat that's out there these days.

Taf 02-04-2024 16:53

A portable digital radio kept dropping volume. I found that the switch in the headphone socket was the cause.

Dude111 03-04-2024 00:32

Im glad ya found the problem easily :)

heero_yuy 03-04-2024 17:30

Six solar lanterns: Three just needed the battery compartments cleaning and a fresh charge. One needed the compartments changed from AA to AAA separate holders as the plastic had disintegrated. Fortunately today's AAA NiMh are 1000mhr compared to the original 600mhr NiCad batteries.

Last two were very weak and I had to replace several capacitors on the PCBs to get them working properly.

Just simple age.

heero_yuy 15-04-2024 14:08

One of the solar rock lights died. Seems corrosion has done for the 4 pin control chip. Fortunately I have a supply of these so chip duly replaced and rock is now fully functional.

Ramrod 16-04-2024 17:05

pair of wired earphones. Cable was broken. Bought a new 3.5mm jack on Amazon (along with a soldering iron & flux)
It's not pretty but they work again now.
First time soldering :D