Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Flashed by a speed camera (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33602709)

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 15:21

Flashed by a speed camera

Afternoon,

This morning on the way to work, I was flashed by a speed camera.

It was going up the West Cross Route towards the A40 in London - if you know it!

I'm sure there is a sign just before it that says 50mph.

My satnav warned me it was there.

I've been past it about 6 times in the last two weeks.

What speed was I doing? Between 39mph - 41mph.

There was no other cars near me at the time.

What do you think will happen??

Mick 26-10-2006 15:25

Re: Flashed by a speed camera

There is a 1 in 4 chance, you will get a NIP. (Notice of Intended Prosecution).

Aragorn 26-10-2006 15:26

A driving ban for driving too slowly :D
Seriously, iirc (not an expert) the stills are checked by hand before being sent out - hopefully that will show your correct speed (against the road markings).

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34145045)
There is a 1 in 4 chance, you will get a NIP. (Notice of Intended Prosecution).

For doing 39 - 41mph in a 50mph?

I'm going to get a photo of the camera and sign tomorrow!

But - why did it flash me? I thought they were only set-off when a speed is exceded?

Mick 26-10-2006 15:34

Are you sure there are no temporary speed restrictions in force?

Did the camera flash twice in quick succession did you notice this?

superbiatch 26-10-2006 15:36

In my experience - nothing will happen. I've been flashed by static speed cameras a few times (whilst being under the speed limit) in both North Wales and in Liverpool on the M62. I've yet to receive a ticket. Although I'm not sure why they do this :confused:

swoop101 26-10-2006 15:36

They flash occasionaly when there is nobody around, i think it may be to calibrate itself.
I was at the end of the M62 yesterday morning in stationary traffic and the camera flashed twice in a minute.

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop101 (Post 34145057)
They flash occasionaly when there is nobody around, i think it may be to calibrate itself.

Never knew that...any documentation of that anywhere?

Scarlett 26-10-2006 16:25

I've had this happen to me a number of times, nothing will happen as you were below the speed limit at the time.

Some times they pick up something that makes them think that there is a speeding car. It imght be a bird or reflection off some glass nearby. In any case. They will not take you to court because as mentioned by Aragorn, they are checked before they issue a NIP.

One near us can't cope in the fog. I went passed it about a year ago in the fog and it was firing off every minute or so.

grandmaster 26-10-2006 16:40

I think its 14 days.. after this point they cannot do anything.

scrotnig 26-10-2006 16:45

They have 14 days from the date of the offence to ISSUE a notice of intended prosecution (it may take longer for you to receive it). If you do receive one and you were in fact below the limit, you have an absolute defence and the CPS would drop it immediately if notified. No court would ever convict you.

Cheshire police once told me they often set "empty" cameras to flash below the speed limit to encourage people to go even slower still. What moral right the police have to do this is unclear...if they think the speed limit is too high there are appropriate channels. This sort of behaviour by the police can cause accidents.

swoop101 26-10-2006 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsainsbury (Post 34145060)
Never knew that...any documentation of that anywhere?

I can't find the info that I saw a couple of years ago now:( I also read that they flash to fool people into thinking they are active when they have no film in them.

injuneer 26-10-2006 17:33

They can sometimes be set off by cars going in the opposite direction as well. We have one near me that has the calibration markings on both sides of the road, one set approaching the camera from the front and the usual set behind the camera. Traffic from both directions trigger it. I know there are some cameras designed to do this but I did read somewhere that is illegal to flash oncoming traffic because it may temporarily blind the driver. I think the markings on the approaching side were put there to frighten people. :erm:

scrotnig 26-10-2006 17:44

Yes, oncoming cameras are a different design, quite distinctive in fact. they don't flash, they use something else.

And then there's SPECS cameras, which are different again...the average speed check ones.

Escapee 26-10-2006 18:05

I wouldn't worry if you were under the limit, the one not far from my house was flashing everyone in the 40MPH limit about 2 weeks ago.

We were all in traffic moving about 15MPH.:rolleyes:

Mick 26-10-2006 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrotnig (Post 34145136)
Yes, oncoming cameras are a different design, quite distinctive in fact. they don't flash, they use something else.

Forward facing speed cameras are called Truvelo and look like:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/10/5.jpg

They are designed to catch a picture of the driver as well. They produce no visible flash, so drivers won't actually know they have ben caught out, until that NIP comes through the letter box as it uses an infra red flash.

Unlike Gatso speed camera's, Truvelo speed cameras use road strips, these can be seen just before the Truvelo speed camera and in some cases on both sides of the road. They are becoming more favourable over Gatso's.

scrotnig 26-10-2006 18:16

Yup, those are the very ones, thanks Mick.

LSainsbury 26-10-2006 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34145054)
Are you sure there are no temporary speed restrictions in force?

Did the camera flash twice in quick succession did you notice this?

Yes - there are building works nearby by all the signs say 50 - I checked on the way home.

Yes - the camera flashed twice - about 1 second apart...

Paul 26-10-2006 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34145153)
Unlike Gatso speed camera's, Truvelo speed cameras use road strips, these can be seen just before the Truvelo speed camera and in some cases on both sides of the road. They are becoming more favourable over Gatso's.

Truvelo cameras still use two lines for double checking your speed (on the photo) - you will see two thin lines just in front of them.

nffc 26-10-2006 22:03

Aha the M41... :LOL:

daz300 26-10-2006 22:30

I have recently been flashed by a Gatso camera, what happens next? The Police have 14 days to send you a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). They also get an allowance of a couple of days for the post to deliver it. So if its more than 17days since you were flashed they are too late to prosecute you, unless you were driving a company car, hire car or someone elses car. In these circumstances they are allowed more time to track you down.

daz300

LSainsbury 27-10-2006 08:05

Well I checked agin this moring on the way into work - there no other signs say anything lower than 50mph.

About 50 meters before the camera there is a sign saying 50 mph.

I'm 99% sure I was doing between 39 and 41 mph - there is no way I was going anywhere near 50mph!

We'll just have to sit it out and see what happens - will keep you posted! :tu:

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc (Post 34145312)
Aha the M41... :LOL:

Always know it was the WCR! Never knew it had a motorway designation!

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

YES!!!! YES!!!! YESSSSS!!!!

Seeeeee!! - Look at this!!

http://pathetic.org.uk/photos/m41/im...C02785_JPG.jpg

Here's the camera in question - and you can see a 50mph sign on the carriageway above.....

Right - come on then Mr Police force send me an NIP and YOU WILL have a fight!!! :D:D:D

Edit - By the looks of the photograph - that's the southbound road - those tower blocks are near the WestOne shopping center - I think....

Edit 2 - nope - it's northbound alright - the continuation of the photos show them traveling north...

Graham M 27-10-2006 08:45

And is there a sign on the road you were travelling on?

LSainsbury 27-10-2006 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeph (Post 34145499)
And is there a sign on the road you were travelling on?

Yep - see post #1 - and confirmed today - there's one before the speed camera...50MPH.

Graham M 27-10-2006 09:08

Right O, missed that :)

Lord Nikon 27-10-2006 14:06

Has anyone realised that truvelo and specs cameras are ONLY for motorists not bikers?

both take photos of the front of the vehicle, bikes don't have a forward facing number plate.

injuneer 27-10-2006 16:46

We've got a couple of these things sprung up where I live, they're Monitron cameras and contain no film but are directly linked by an ADSL link to a monitoring centre. They are replacing Gatsos with these in London.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

Jules 27-10-2006 17:26

I enjoyed playing the speed trap game, I got 9 out of 19 lol

Nidge 27-10-2006 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34145153)
Forward facing speed cameras are called Truvelo and look like:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/10/5.jpg

They are designed to catch a picture of the driver as well. They produce no visible flash, so drivers won't actually know they have ben caught out, until that NIP comes through the letter box as it uses an infra red flash.

Someone has painted a £ sign on all of them in Nottingham near the tennis centre:D :D :D :D Made me chuckle the other day when I went past them.:D :D :D :D

LSainsbury 19-06-2007 18:41

Grrrrrrr....what is it with me and speed cameras! I don't drive fast - I think I'm quite careful...most of the time.

Tonight I was flashed by a Gatso camera.
I knew it was there.
I saw it.
I've seen it hundreds of times.
I've been past it hundreds of times.

So what happened then? I accelerated to get in front of a bus which was parked up in a bus stop and probably was about to indicate to come back out.

Now - this camera was on the other side of the road - and there are camera road markings (the dashes that they reference against) on the other side of the road only.

Do you think I just set it off 'cus I was going a bit fast past the bus?

Can they catch up with me and give me a fine / points even though they have no markings to reference the speed against?

I only saw the one flash...

Nidge 19-06-2007 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop101 (Post 34145094)
I can't find the info that I saw a couple of years ago now:( I also read that they flash to fool people into thinking they are active when they have no film in them.

That is correct, the Police can't afford to arm all the cameras because the workings are to expensive, they move them around to different sites fooling the public that the camera is still armed when it's not.

punky 19-06-2007 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsainsbury (Post 34331627)
Grrrrrrr....what is it with me and speed cameras! I don't drive fast - I think I'm quite careful...most of the time.

I knew it was there.
I saw it.

So what happened then? I accelerated to get in front of a bus which was parked up in a bus stop and probably was about to indicate to come back out.

Now - this camera was on the other side of the road - and there are camera road markings (the dashes that they reference against) on the other side of the road only.

Can they catch up with me and give me a fine / points even though they have no markings to reference the speed against?

AFAIK, the standard Gatsos are designed to be rear-firing and they can't prosecute drivers coming the other way. I was flashed by a camera on the other side once and never received an NIP

Apparently, the fake speed cameras are the ones that flash oncoming vehicles. They have cheaper speed detectors which can't tell the difference between a positive and negative speed. I do know that some do flash oncoming, and some don't, so that could explain it. I just heard it on another forum though.

LSainsbury 20-06-2007 12:14

Thanks Gavin - you'll be pleased to hear I slept well last night!

Wicked_and_Crazy 20-06-2007 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsainsbury (Post 34331627)

I knew it was there.
I saw it.

If you were driving towards a GATSO thats on the other side of the road and it goes off you wont hear anything. Thats happened to me before and people seemed to suggest at the time that it was a fake as it cant tell which direction you are travelling in.

LSainsbury 20-06-2007 13:22

Thanks W&C! ANother vote for the "you won't hear nowt" pot!

Kat and Moo 13-07-2007 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy (Post 34332152)
If you were driving towards a GATSO thats on the other side of the road and it goes off you wont hear anything. Thats happened to me before and people seemed to suggest at the time that it was a fake as it cant tell which direction you are travelling in.

I was driving towards a Gatso Camara last week, 4th July 07 the lines were only on the oncoming lane the Gatso was in. yet the camara flashed in my face. I turned around and drove back to investigate. there were no lines in my lane or a Gazto camara but there were lines further down in my lane. So the camara only took my picture in the wrong lane without lines and face on.
:Yikes:
THE NEWS HERE...I recieved a letter saying I was speeding. I telephoned drivingoffence.com and they said they have never heard of such a thing...I will write back to the police and tell them that I want my case heard in court and see what they say...Possibly they are trying to pull a stroke...:eeek:

smiffing 13-07-2007 11:57

I am sure that there is a case to be had against front facing speed cameras, if I am in my car and get flashed by one I should get a fine, how do these work for motorbikes?
Surely this is discrimination against the motorist?

Graham M 13-07-2007 11:58

Some older gatsos if I remember correctly, can't work out the difference between a positive and a negative speed, question is, were you actually speeding? If so then why complain?

Hugh 14-07-2007 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeph (Post 34349943)
Some older gatsos if I remember correctly, can't work out the difference between a positive and a negative speed, question is, were you actually speeding? If so then why complain?

Zeph, what's a "negative speed"? :confused:

Graham M 14-07-2007 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34350468)
Zeph, what's a "negative speed"? :confused:

Think Scalar instead of Vector :) (or was that the other way around - I'm a little hungover :p:)

Aaccee 10-04-2010 16:26

Im confused - i was driving to work on the Hagley road, where i was flashed by the opposite side camera; i was no where near the sensors on the road on my side, yet the other camera flashed!? - will i be receiving a fine?
Please Reply...
Thank You...
(PS) Which side does the camera flash for it to be my fine?...

Lord Nikon 10-04-2010 16:31

3 year old thread ressurected.... Wow.

I would actually think that there would be a case against Gatso's on the basis of safety, the flash from a GATSO on the opposite side could distract an oncoming motorist and potentially cause an accident...

Aside from that, read the thread, it should give you some insight.

zing_deleted 10-04-2010 16:36

the GATSO on the other side of the road will always flash into oncoming traffic no matter where is it triggered though.

martyh 10-04-2010 16:36

most cameras (not all)will only flash you when you go past it NOT as you aproach it if the camera was on the other side of the road facing you and it flashed then it will probably be because another car has gone through to fast on the other side of the road

TheNorm 10-04-2010 16:38

Does anyone else find it amusing that Lord Nikon posts in a camera thread?

I'm looking forward to reading posts from Baron Pentax and Prince Hasselblad.

Lord Nikon 10-04-2010 16:40

And ironically my cameras are Fuji, Pentax, Kodak, Olympus and Sony...

Russ 10-04-2010 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaccee (Post 34998516)
Im confused - i was driving to work on the Hagley road, where i was flashed by the opposite side camera; i was no where near the sensors on the road on my side, yet the other camera flashed!? - will i be receiving a fine?
Please Reply...
Thank You...

Makes no difference - just after New Year's day I got flashed by a gatso on the other side of the road pointing in the direction I was coming from, I didn't realise it did that.

Anyway it did flash but I heard nothing from them. They have 14 days in which to make contact with you so if you've heard nothing after that consider yourself lucky.

Not all cameras have 'film' in them.

Flyboy 11-04-2010 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaccee (Post 34998516)
Please Reply...
Thank You...

This was probably a "Tuvelo" camera. They get you both ways. The way to spot them is, they have one circle, slightly offset from below the main part of the camera lens.

Russ 11-04-2010 07:58

Not second guessing your encyclopedic knowledge but that's Truvelo.

broadbandking 11-04-2010 09:15

As far as I am aware you can request the photo with speed so aslong as you was doing the correct speed you should be ok.

martyh 11-04-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy (Post 34998802)
This was probably a "Tuvelo" camera. They get you both ways. The way to spot them is, they have one circle, slightly offset from below the main part of the camera lens.

as far as i know truvelo cameras don't flash

Kymmy 11-04-2010 10:13

That is a truvelo(they do a few different styles) and they do tend to be facing towards the front of the vehicle (though they can either way on narrow roads) and they rely on Peizo strips in the road to do the time/distance measurement (hence they can't be detected by a radar/laser detector). They do flash though it's very subdued mainly due to it being an infra-red flash unit (works then in all light enviroments). It's alll they have in bedfordshire/northhamptonshire... [for legal purposes the next bit is pure fiction ;)] It's the ONLY camera that's ever flashed me but I was on two wheels at that point in time and yes you can see the flash ;)

martyh 11-04-2010 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34998879)
That is a truvelo(they do a few different styles) and they do tend to be facing towards the front of the vehicle (though they can either way on narrow roads) and they rely on Peizo strips in the road to do the time/distance measurement (hence they can't be detected by a radar/laser detector). They do flash though it's very subdued mainly due to it being an infra-red flash unit (works then in all light enviroments). It's alll they have in bedfordshire/northhamptonshire... [for legal purposes the next bit is pure fiction ;)] It's the ONLY camera that's ever flashed me but I was on two wheels at that point in time and yes you can see the flash ;)

wow ,must have been speeding to get your car on 2 wheels :D

Kymmy 11-04-2010 10:32

Even harder I was fictionally on a two wheeled vehicle on two wheels...

martyh 11-04-2010 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34998900)
Even harder I was fictionally on a two wheeled vehicle on two wheels...

that's ok then ..as long as it was fictional;)

Sirius 11-04-2010 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 34998879)
but I was on two wheels at that point in time and yes you can see the flash ;)

And it would still not have got you as there is no number plate on the front of a bike. It is a loophole for bikes that cars cannot take part in :LOL:

Flyboy 11-04-2010 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 34998823)
Not second guessing your encyclopedic knowledge but that's Truvelo.

Oops, sorry for the typo, but doing this on a mobile phone is not easy. :)

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 34998872)
as far as i know truvelo cameras don't flash

The one in our village does. This would be the one which we campaigned for nearly two years to have installed. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to persuade a council to install one. ;) After the thing had been there for three years (and passing it nearly everyday :rolleyes:), I motored passed the damned thing at thirty-five and was flashed. :mad: I got a notice in the post warning me and reminding me of the speed limit. :)

Ingram 20-04-2010 16:40

I was flashed in France. Can they get me in the UK? Ihave a friend who has been flashed 3 times and has 9 points. he suggested i got Mod Edit. I think. Anyone got this?

Sirius 20-04-2010 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingram (Post 35004962)
I was flashed in France. Can they get me in the UK? Ihave a friend who has been flashed 3 times and has 9 points. he suggested i got ++++++++++++ I think. Anyone got this?

I would never use some dodgy website to deal with a speeding ticket.

Flyboy 20-04-2010 21:30

I think Ingram is referring to Mod Edit.." It is an insurance policy which provides certain benefits if one loses their driver's licence.

Kymmy 20-04-2010 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy (Post 35005113)
I think Ingram is referring to "Drivegaurd." It is an insurance policy which provides certain benefits if one loses their driver's licence.

Or idiot insurance as I call it, mainly as you need to be an idiot to use it ;)

Flyboy 20-04-2010 21:36

Indeed, in fact one could go further and call it a "license-to-behave-like-a-moron insurance."

stevegriffin022 14-06-2010 19:06

hi there im just woundering if anyone has had problems on the a2 canterbury road. ive drove past this speed cam 3 times under the speed limit and been double falshed every time 3 days in arow.
Thats 9 points i would just like to know if anyone has had the same problem and if they got anythink through the post. thanks any info a help.

Flyboy 14-06-2010 19:15

I'd wait for the NIP and challenge it.

LSainsbury 14-06-2010 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingram (Post 35004962)
I was flashed in France. Can they get me in the UK? Ihave a friend who has been flashed 3 times and has 9 points. he suggested i got Mod Edit I think. Anyone got this?

Nice piece of spamming there - i think you got away with it! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevegriffin022 (Post 35040871)
hi there im just woundering if anyone has had problems on the a2 canterbury road. ive drove past this speed cam 3 times under the speed limit and been double falshed every time 3 days in arow.
Thats 9 points i would just like to know if anyone has had the same problem and if they got anythink through the post. thanks any info a help.

Think one of my work collegues had an issue with that a few weeks back...

Lord Nikon 17-06-2010 00:20

Could be miscalibrated radar settings, that's why there are markings on the road though. If the photos taken don't match what the radar system says you shouldn't get a ticket, and if you do then then markings will clear you.

The calculation is distance divided by time = speed, the distance is determined by the gap between the road markings and the time is the time between flashes, usually 0.25s for a GATSO camera. For example if you travel 100m in 1 second then your speed is (not surprisingly) 100m/s (Which would guarantee you a speeding ban being 223mph) a calculation is available here