Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Netflix : Altered Carbon (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705787)

Qtx 07-12-2017 21:07

Altered Carbon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261227/

Looking forward to this Cyberpunk series based on the book which starts in February next year. The visuals in the trailer are right up my street :)

Quote:

ALTERED CARBON is set in a future where consciousness is digitized and stored in cortical stacks implanted in the spine, allowing humans to survive physical death by having their memories and consciousness "re-sleeved" into new bodies. The story follows specially trained "Envoy" soldier Takeshi Kovacs, who is downloaded from an off-world prison and into the body of a disgraced cop at the behest of Laurens Bancroft, a highly influential aristocrat.
Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ

Hugh 07-12-2017 21:11

Re: Altered Carbon

I would also recommend the books - Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies.

General Maximus 09-12-2017 21:17

looks really good and worth watching. I am still in the process of updating my tv schedule thread for post-xmas but this is defo going on the list.

Maggy 10-12-2017 10:17

Loved the books..but sadly I'm not a Netflix subscriber. I'll just reread the books in that case.

General Maximus 10-12-2017 13:47

Or source it through alternative means ;)

pip08456 10-12-2017 15:49

Another one for my list.

Paul 14-12-2017 03:29

Netflix obviously think highly of it, they have already renewed it for a second season.

General Maximus 22-12-2017 20:08

General Maximus 02-02-2018 12:07

A friendly minder that all 10 episodes are out today. I don't know whether to plough through it all in one go or keep myself in suspense and watch one episode a day.

techguyone 02-02-2018 12:39

all 10 at once? that's unusual, haven't heard of a whole series going out in one before.

General Maximus 02-02-2018 12:54

It is on Netflix

BenMcr 02-02-2018 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35935170)
all 10 at once? that's unusual, haven't heard of a whole series going out in one before.

Happens a fair bit on the streaming services.

Stuart 02-02-2018 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35935170)

It tends to happen when a streaming service is the only source for the material. If it's also available on a Linear channel, it comes out an episode at a time. The exceptions being Orphan Black and Star Trek: Discovery, which, despite being only on Netflix (in this country) were released 1 episode a week.

BenMcr 02-02-2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35935201)
It tends to happen when a streaming service is the only source for the material. If it's also available on a Linear channel, it comes out an episode at a time. The exceptions being Orphan Black and Star Trek: Discovery, which, despite being only on Netflix (in this country) were released 1 episode a week.

For Star Trek that's due to CBS sticking to a weekly schedule in the US, and Netflix broadcasting it at the same time.

For other shows such as The Expanse that have been broadcast on a network, Netflix have held it back and released it in one go instead.

Have to say I can see pros and cons for each.

General Maximus 02-02-2018 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35935201)
The exceptions being Orphan Black and Star Trek: Discovery, which, despite being only on Netflix (in this country) were released 1 episode a week.

and tbh I semi-prefer it that way. Discovery is getting better and better and the tension has been amazing in the last couple of eps with the mirror universe. If I could watch them all in one go I don't think it would have the same effect because I know I could find out what the outcome is to a situation immediately.

I was discussing this with Kush earlier, Altered Carbon looks so flipping good that I am worried I am going to spoil it if I watch it all in one day. I am definitely going to watch 1x01 tonight and if I am blown away I think I am going to watch one episode a day so I can keep the goodness going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35935203)
Have to say I can see pros and cons for each.

exactly, leaving GoT out of the conversation, The Expanse is another phenomenal series where pretty much every episode has you on the edge of your seat. When I watch it every week, and I have said this many a time, I wish had all the eps to watch in one go because I can't wait but at the same time all the excitement and enjoyment would be here and gone in one day.