Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

muppetman11 10-05-2016 12:34

Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Let's hope they improve the Horizon box and it's remote as both look seriously ugly.:D

A remote with a keyboard , tv email anyone.

pengedragon 10-05-2016 12:38

Quote:

That will all change, he adds, beginning this week. The user interface will get an overhaul to make its menus slicker and more picture-based.
this week ?

interesting piece anyway, lets see where it leads

denphone 10-05-2016 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836673)
Let's hope they improve the Horizon box and it's remote as both look seriously ugly.:D

Now now MM behave yourself.:D

Gavin-D 10-05-2016 13:20

New 4K box launching later this year

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...ampaign=buffer

toady 10-05-2016 13:25

According to the latest article from Engadget today

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/10/v...k-set-top-box/

"There will be a new set-top box coming later this year, and it will support Ultra High Definition video," a Virgin Media spokesperson told What HiFi. "Before that we will be updating the existing TiVO set-top box to make its menus slicker and more picture-based."

passingbat 10-05-2016 14:54

I hope they slip one more new Tivo box in. Goodbye Whishlists when Horizon finally launches.

Is the current Horizon a 4k box? I don't think so (but can't be bothered to check :erm:). If that is the case, then it is pointless making comparisons with the current Horizon box as it will be a new box for 4k.

denphone 10-05-2016 15:07

Well we shall see PB on what transpires in the coming 6 to 9 months.

mike_gain 10-05-2016 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35836705)
Well we shall see PB on what transpires in the coming 6 to 9 months.

I'd say we'll get a software update for the existing TiVO platform before the Olympics. Then we'll get some sort of new TiVO platform, supporting 4K, the tail end of this year/ start of next year.

A move to Horizon will be a few years away.

passingbat 10-05-2016 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35836714)
I'd say we'll get a software update for the existing TiVO platform before the Olympics. Then we'll get some sort of new TiVO platform, supporting 4K, the tail end of this year/ start of next year.

A move to Horizon will be a few years away.

I sincerely hope you are right; that's how the Telegraph article read to me.

Horizon 10-05-2016 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35836633)
Its not just a new STB but a new platform as well. I am betting it will be Horizon.

That's what I thought and said in the other thread, but someone said a few months ago that they were testing a new tivo.???

I find it hard to believe that Liberty would want one technology, its own, for all its cablecos except VM.

As a side note, Vodafone use TIVO for their cablecos.

muppetman11 10-05-2016 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35836717)
That's what I thought and said in the other thread, but someone said a few months ago that they were testing a new tivo.???

I find it hard to believe that Liberty would want one technology, its own, for all its cablecos except VM.

You would also have to wonder why it would launch a new Tivo next year if the plan is to move to Horizon. The life cycle of a STB is generally at least 4-5 years.

Horizon 10-05-2016 17:32

....that's exactly what I said too on the other thread.

The Horizon tech is no spring chicken in itself now. If VM were to move to it "in a few years", Liberty would by then be moving onto the next thing, so why bother?

As I said before, I reckon they'll update the current tivo to hopefully make it work better, but all new stuff will be on Horizon.

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 17:41

Well, who knows for sure? If a new all singing and dancing Horizon box is what they are planning, let's hope it is a 2MB!

1andrew1 10-05-2016 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35836717)

I believe that's just ONO Spain where Vodafone inherited the Tivo contract by acquiring ONO.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836732)
You would also have to wonder why it would launch a new Tivo next year if the plan is to move to Horizon. The life cycle of a STB is generally at least 4-5 years.

There's infrastructure investment required to support Horizon which is already in place for Tivo. So maybe logical to introduce a new Tiivo now and in a few years' time introduce a new cloud-based solution in all territories.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836673)

I hope they hire a designer for future boxes, although they manage to make it look a bit nicer in this guide. https://www.upc-cablecom.ch/content/...ser-manual.pdf

kandinsky 10-05-2016 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836762)
Well, who knows for sure? If a new all singing and dancing Horizon box is what they are planning, let's hope it is a 2MB!

That will be just about enough space to record the little white dot on your TV at the end of the night.....

:D