Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   parental controls dilemma :o( (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687513)

dudley 07-05-2012 00:14

parental controls dilemma :o(

Hi All

I need advice from the good people here who have any experience with routers that have particularly good parental controls.

I don't really want to block sites etc but what I really want is to be able to deny internet access to our smart TV in the mornings - distracts teenage son from getting ready for school! I also want to be able to switch off his internet access via his PS3 at meal times and to switch off his wireless access to the internet via his PC at say 9.45 on a school night

I have been to my local independent PC dealer who drew a blank. His initial recommendation was a Netgear but it looks as though that just has site blocking - or does anyone here know any different?

I figure this must be a very common dilemma for the parents of teenagers and surely someone makes a suitable router!

I have an old Linksys WRT54g at present which is ok and in theory is capable of switching off the wireless at a given time but to be honest when I tried to do that it just locked out the internet for precisely 7 days to the minute - I couldn't figure out what had gone wrong or how to fix it! So I guess a simple set up would be another usefull feature!

Any suggestions people???

regards

Dudley

rogerdraig 07-05-2012 01:21

Re: parental controls dilemma :o(

switch it off manually when you want it off either at plug or via the router set up screen :)

you should have been able to set the times to switch off wireless on that router if it did go wrong its most probably time for a new one

i think it is capable of blocking devices by mac address to if its working via the The Access Restrictions Tab

there you should be able to see the pc tv etc and pick times they can access the router

but other than the first method and or disconecting the network cable going to the device ALL can be got arround by a determined user if left alone ;)

nothing works as well as doing it manualy ;)

qasdfdsaq 07-05-2012 04:17

DD-WRT does everything you want.

dudley 07-05-2012 10:24

I have a V7 WRT54G and have read that it will only reliably run the cut down version of DD-WRT plus I have no idea what they are talking about when t comes to the install procedure - like i said, it needs to be simple - which of course is a relative term!

Yes I can switch off the router and thats what I have to do now, its a pain in the backside and means that everything is off - which is absolutely NOT what I want to do. Also its not rocket science to plug it back in.

As I said I tried using the access controls in the web interface to shut off his pc and it didin't work.

I was hoping for a really simple to use interface that doesn't rapidly descend into geek speak, something the average NON TECHIE parent can control easily. We have an old Mac which my son uses for Garage Band and that is simplicity itself to set up the network access times.

So - any other router recommendations? Maybe something that is already running a version of DD-WRT or similar?

regards

Dudley

rogerdraig 07-05-2012 16:48

unfortuneately the simpler the interface the simpler it wil be to by pass in fact any software solution will be a waste of time if the child is willing to plug it back in to bypass your wishes

if they are using wireless though and you are at home you can switch that on and off manualy from the routers control page

otherwise have a look at a new router but go to thier web site first download the instructions on them and see if they look easier to you I am fairly used to Linksys and therefore find it easy but I uderstand others wont but you might like one of the other makers methods easier

though again that said what ever you do will be easily bypassed if they wont obey the rules unfortuneately

on your router have you tried the access restrition tab if you have did you use the ip if you did the pc only has to get a diferent one then it will be back on easily try using the mac number should work better thoughits not that hard to alter the mac on the laptop

Ramrod 07-05-2012 17:17

This tech stuff is fine but why not simply tell him when he can and can't use stuff? :confused:

dudley 07-05-2012 17:52

I hear what you are saying re just turn it off manually, however I am not always here to do it and his mother can't be left alone with anything more high tech than a tin opener without it all ending in tears.

He is quite capable of looking to see what is unplugged but is not that much more tech savvy than his mother and at present he has never attempted to reconnect the internet himself. He certainly isn't able to go into the web interface and switch it back on - and if he was, he would still need to get my wife or I to log him onto XP - all of our computers require a log on.

Surely one of the manufacturers must do this kind of thing? If not, then they really are missing a trick as I am convinced there are non techie parents all over the world who would happily pay out for a decent router with this stuff built in - so long as it was very easy to use. I don't see that it could be so difficult to do. The thing is that the interface needs to be designed by or in conjunction with a non techie parent not a programming geek!

And thank you so much to Ramrod for your suggestion.

jamiefrost 07-05-2012 18:40

The current superhub does this using mac filtering, using it to remove Internet access for iPods when needed.

Jamie

LondonRoad 07-05-2012 19:58

I use the mac filtering on the superhub to limit the times that my daughter can spend on her laptop. It works fine.

Log onto the superhub, click advanced settings and mac filtering. It's fairly obvious when you're in there what to do. Add the mac address of the device you want to filter and select the days and times you want to allow it to be able to connect.

dudley 07-05-2012 22:21

googled superhub - I take it you are referring to the Virgin Superhub?

Looks like its free to new 100mb accounts but doesn't say what it costs to existing customers - well it probably does but I just can't see it.

Any tips or tricks that can get a free superhub?

Dudley

jb66 07-05-2012 22:25

Can't you just tell your son not to use the Internet, he needs to learn to respect your decisions,

qasdfdsaq 07-05-2012 22:26

Like I said, DD-WRT does exactly what you want and everything you want.

You can get a router that'll run the full DD-WRT properly for less than £10 off ebay. It takes about 10-20 minutes to set up once you get it.

dudley 07-05-2012 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35424681)
Can't you just tell your son not to use the Internet, he needs to learn to respect your decisions,

you don't have teenage sons do you?

jempalmer 07-05-2012 23:33

And you, Dud (ley) lack a sense of humour. You could try saying NO!

rogerdraig 07-05-2012 23:38

i have a teenage daughter ;) and 10 year old boy and i can use the loging feature to see what they are up too ( except the dreaded bbm though i can check that if i ask too )

we dont often let them use the laptops or computer out of our sight as i dont censor the web using any software they know what they shouldnt be viewing and when to switch off else the equipment is mine again :)

however any one with ideas on how to stop teenage daughters and mothers arguing over the daftest thing ( imo ) will be gladly welcome my headache will be very greatful