Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Gaming Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Minecraft (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701928)

zoombini 06-12-2015 20:55

Minecraft

I know I'm old for a game like this (50) but I'm really enjoying playing Minecraft.

The idea that to do anything you need to think what you need, like you have to thump a tree to get some wood, then use the wood to make a wooden axe to be able to get some stone to then use more wood and stone to make a stone axe to be able to mine ore to make some iron to make iron tools and so on....... and on.

Luckily my eldest son runs his own vanilla server so I can go online relatively safely as I can be an op and get all the stuff I need should I die.

Stephen 06-12-2015 20:58

Re: Minecraft

Tried it once, and didn't get what all the fuss was about. My 11 year old cousin plays it all the time. He even watches people playing it on YouTube.

zoombini 06-12-2015 21:04

We are discussing setting up a home server, building the server itself and setting it up so it has direct access to the router.

Not sure how well the VM 150mb connection is going to do for it, especially seeing as it often durps.

Hom3r 07-12-2015 22:14

It the modern Lego.

I enjoy it digging for diamonds, planting food etc.

adzii_nufc 08-12-2015 18:39

Don't think anyone's too old, I'd think this is one of the better games for someone like yourself to get into. It's so simple and works it's way up to complex when ever you feel like going that far.

I've owned it since the very early days and rarely touch it now but the idea is pretty brilliant and it's worked extremely well.

Uncle Peter 08-12-2015 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoombini (Post 35811752)
We are discussing setting up a home server, building the server itself and setting it up so it has direct access to the router.

Not sure how well the VM 150mb connection is going to do for it, especially seeing as it often durps.

Rough guess around 6-12 players but there are a lot of variables around what you have in your config: number of mobs, draw distance etc not to mention what your players are actually doing in the game.

You'll probably be ok if you use AccessControl and lock it down to a few people you know.

Hom3r 08-12-2015 20:45

I've seen some very complex stuff.

My nephew has made a door that needs buttons to be pressed in the right order.

Hom3r 10-12-2015 22:19

to open the door.

Broze 18-12-2015 16:34

I play this on the Xbox one. But mostly single player. It would be good if there was a few of us playing on the same world if anyone knows how to set that up.

cimt 19-12-2015 02:42

Easy to set up on consoles but only the person that created the world will be able to go into the world if no one is on it. The creator has to be in the world for anyone else to join.

weenie 19-12-2015 03:10

My youngest son who is 13 loves this game.

zoombini 21-03-2017 21:29

And a year+ on - I am still playing this game.
Now a staff member, I am on a great grief protected server and am really enjoying the redstone contraptions I build.

And although im the oldest on the server, I am finding that there are plenty of adults playing.

4x4 revolving piston door - pah thats easy peasy :)

Hom3r 24-03-2017 18:19

My Nephew built a digital clock that counts down.

He's builds loads of contraptions, one is a item elevator, that can sort stuff into separate chests.

Hom3r 23-04-2017 18:09

I've seen that a group had built the entire Harry Potter world.

This can be downloaded for free on all formats, buy how can you do this on a xbox?

duncan.stevenson 23-04-2017 19:53

I haven't played much Minecraft, though it does appeal to me. I'm not patient enough to make many crazy contraptions.

We've got a HTC Vive hooked up to our gaming PC, and exploring Minecraft worlds in virtual reality is pretty awesome, even if it's not the most practical way to play!