Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Major Incident: Finsbury Park, London - Van Ploughs into Pedestrians (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705020)

Osem 19-06-2017 17:07

Re: Major Incident: Finsbury Park, London - Van Ploughs into Pedestrians

I'd say they there are degrees of terror attack. There's the 9/11 variety right down to the failed petrol bomb . This was intended to terrorise and was no doubt done in revenge so yes I feel it is a terrorist act. However, I doubt very much that this guy is part of a much wider scale terror organisation on the scale of ISIS or the IRA for example, dedicated to destroying Islam. That's the difference IMHO.

papa smurf 19-06-2017 18:07

terrorist
ˈ
noun
a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

adjective
unlawfully using violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

so what political aim is there in this ? to me it's a nutter who hates muslims and wanted to kill them its hate not terror imo

Julian 19-06-2017 18:07

Darren from Cardiff

Onramp 19-06-2017 18:14

I thought it was a bit odd that he was supposedly saying "I've done my job, kill me now" - I mean was he a robot? Who was he working for? Quite possibly just himself but I doubt that this time.

Hom3r 19-06-2017 18:16

This has to be a terrorist attack.

denphone 19-06-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35903964)
This has to be a terrorist attack.

Absolutely..

Mr K 19-06-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35903961)
terrorist
ˈ
noun
a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

adjective
unlawfully using violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

so what political aim is there in this ? to me it's a nutter who hates muslims and wanted to kill them its hate not terror imo

Not sure about the dictionary definition. imo any attack intended to cause terror amongst a particular community is terrorism. Whether this bloke intended this as a terror act we don't know yet.

Julian 19-06-2017 18:19

"If evidence proves that what happened last night amounted to the "use or threat of action…designed to influence…a section of the public…for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause"...then that is terrorism.

As quoted by a legal expert HERE at 1532

1andrew1 19-06-2017 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35903912)
i can't answer that
i have been watching on the news the" Muslim community " is outraged at this attack asking how can anyone do this , my first thought was are you for real this is a copy of atrocities carried out by Muslims ,now i'm not condoning it but it must have been on the cards that this would eventually happen ,i wouldn't want to live in London it's out of control.

London's not out of control, it's a great city. Saying it's out of control is not only incorrect but it's exactly what the terrorists want to hear.
A lot of these attacks come from outside London including the Finsbury Park attacker. Big cities especially capital cities attract attacks as attacks there will make the headlines. London (and Manchester) have survived two world wars, the IRA and will survive these terrorists.

Onramp 19-06-2017 23:20

Nation states sometimes brainwash people to do this kind of thing because it is politically convenient for them.

Hugh 20-06-2017 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35903991)
Nation states sometimes brainwash people to do this kind of thing because it is politically convenient for them.

Not sure if the Express and the Mail count as 'Nation states'...

denphone 20-06-2017 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35904002)
Not sure if the Express and the Mail count as 'Nation states'...

More pariah states l would say.;)

papa smurf 20-06-2017 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35903989)
London's not out of control, it's a great city. Saying it's out of control is not only incorrect but it's exactly what the terrorists want to hear.
A lot of these attacks come from outside London including the Finsbury Park attacker. Big cities especially capital cities attract attacks as attacks there will make the headlines. London (and Manchester) have survived two world wars, the IRA and will survive these terrorists.

and they will be doing it without me it's clearly not safe on the streets anymore

and no amount of candles and flowers from the garage will help

pip08456 20-06-2017 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35904011)
and they will be doing it without me it's clearly not safe on the streets anymore

and no amount of candles and flowers from the garage will help

I'm off to London today for a week. I see no reason not to.

papa smurf 20-06-2017 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35904012)
I'm off to London today for a week. I see no reason not to.

stay safe -