Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : iPlayer - Insufficient Bandwidth (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686765)

mikes12345 03-04-2012 12:38

iPlayer - Insufficient Bandwidth

Recently I have noticed that my broadband speed is very slow - but haven't done anything about it as I figured my area is probably just over subscribed and nothing realistically will be changeable in the short to medium term. I was however dissapointed when I tried to watch a program on the iPlayer (TiVo). I used HD mode only to be presented with buffering screens and eventually told that I have insufficient bandwidth to watch the program. (I should add I then switched HD mode off and the program played - but was jittery - had a few break ups and a couple of buffering screens but not too bad)

Given that I understand the TiVo has it's own modem I would have thought that this should not be an issue?

Does anyone know if a) there is any point me reporting this as a fault b) there is any way to force the TiVo to use standard on demand rather than iPlayer (and if that would make any difference).

When I first took out Virgin Media I regularly found on demand would not work with messages to the effect that my area is over subscribed - but recently that seemed to have got better. I am now wondering if that was just my perception because TiVo suggestions mean I watch on demand less as TiVo records stuff for me.

If it helps I am in the north Bristol area connected to the Aztec West hub (or whatever the correct word is).

Thanks in advance for your help.

nefu 03-04-2012 14:17

Re: iPlayer - Insufficient Bandwidth

I have same problem in Swindon - can't watch HD on-demand stuff in the evening, have to watch it in standard definition. Repeated calls to CS have not solved the problem, although I did get several credits (I'd rather have HD than a refund tho).

mikes12345 03-04-2012 20:32

It sounds like you had very similar problems to me.

Does anyone know if there is any solution to this - or a suggested way forward? Should I just put up with it for now - is this sort of thing monitored and will it be resolved automatically eventually?

devilincarnate 03-04-2012 20:35

Have you tried posting the problems over on here to see if they are able to help?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/bd-p/Tivo

aldo 04-04-2012 13:14

I get the same problem. Very rarely use catch up as I tend to record stuff I want to watch but when I do its really frustrating to find its just not very good. And iplayer programs normally finish early before the credits too.

I'm on a tivo near Portsmouth. Oh and I sill have terrible lip sync issues on itv HD!

Itshim 04-04-2012 13:56

What will it be like if the full red button comes via I player

gavinlew 04-04-2012 20:54

I have the same issue, I am also connected to the Aztec West UBR im in BS37.
I have spoken with the CEO's office (as my parents in BS10 had major problems with a new install)and have an engineering visit for Bank Holiday Monday to look at the power levels as remotely they are "too low" for a reliable service.

Cheers
Gavin

Chad 04-04-2012 20:59

And on the back of this recent campaign from Virgin too:

http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...-ads-236f.aspx

“The unexpected interruption to primetime TV brings home the message that viewers shouldn’t settle for buffering on TV or online. More and more people are watching content online, from BBC iPlayer to LoveFilm and YouTube, and they deserve a great viewing experience every time. Superfast broadband comes as standard with Virgin Media so our customers can wave bye bye to buffering and enjoy the online TV, films and entertainment they love.”

Zee 04-04-2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35409787)
And on the back of this recent campaign from Virgin too:

http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...-ads-236f.aspx

“The unexpected interruption to primetime TV brings home the message that viewers shouldn’t settle for buffering on TV or online. More and more people are watching content online, from BBC iPlayer to LoveFilm and YouTube, and they deserve a great viewing experience every time. Superfast broadband comes as standard with Virgin Media so our customers can wave bye bye to buffering and enjoy the online TV, films and entertainment they love.”

yeah what a lie, when Virgin Media is the worst ISP in the UK to stream youtube with.

Itshim 05-04-2012 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 35409812)
yeah what a lie, when Virgin Media is the worst ISP in the UK to stream youtube with.

only tried this once on the TiVo what a load of rubbish !:shocked:

carlwaring 05-04-2012 10:52

Quote:

If that is opinion then fine, but if it's a statement of fact, please cite sources to back it up.

I have only tried YT on my Tivo a couple of times, but it's been fine.

7031 05-04-2012 20:58

Quote:

Really? I switched to Virgin Media from BE about a year ago and it's actually been very good in my experience. OK it's not perfect but I'd pick this over ADSL any day, and honestly I was pretty happy with my ADSL connection.

That said, it seems to be a lucky dip with Virgin Media - some seem to have very good connections, others seem to have completely unusable ones due to contention issues which VM seem to refuse to fix.

HDFootyMan 05-04-2012 21:50

Tried to playback the HD version of last night's The Apprentice on my XBox 360 - it just stopped, restarted, stopped, restarted etc.

So its not just the TiVo that has issues when playing iPlayer content on VM's network. Looks like the link from the BBC (or their Content Delivery Network?) to VM hasn't got enough bandwidth.

If that's the case, that seriously needs to be upgraded before the Olympics and the arrival of those 24 IPTV streams.

andy_m 08-04-2012 16:09

Seriously guys, why is there even a discussion about this. If I player on TiVo isn't working then report it, don't put up with it. Let us know how you get on.

gavinlew 08-04-2012 16:12

I've made sure the CEOs office is fully aware of the issues hopefully their visit tomorrow will resolve the problem