Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Which router? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702272)

General Maximus 31-01-2016 17:53

Which router?

I think my trusty Linksys router has finally outlived itself. I got bumped up to 200mbits this week and I am not getting more than 182. I had a look at the charts in advance and the max wan to lan throughput is 217mbits so I knew I would be pushing it. I have got two other routers which are setup as wireless access points in the house which can handle it no probs but I thought I would start fresh and see if I could get one new ac router which can handle everything.
I was honestly looking at getting an Asus router this time round but I have read a few reviews and they don't seem to do as well as other routers of comparable price when it comes to wireless and wan to lan throughput so I have once again come back to Linksys. These are the two routers I am looking at and I was wondering if anyone had any final thoughts. I would love the Asus but I don't need 8 port in the room it is going to be in and as much as I love the idea of multiple links, I wouldn't use it. I am definitely edging towards the Linksys atm, it has had some cracking reviews.

Asus AC88u on Amazon
Linksys EA8500 on Amazon

I really fancied getting a tri-band router such as the Linksys EA9200 but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the UK.

Mr K 31-01-2016 18:17

Re: Which router?

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35819724)
I think my trusty Linksys router has finally outlived itself. I got bumped up to 200mbits this week and I am not getting more than 182. I had a look at the charts in advance and the max wan to lan throughput is 217mbits so I knew I would be pushing it. I have got two other routers which are setup as wireless access points in the house which can handle it no probs but I thought I would start fresh and see if I could get one new ac router which can handle everything.
I was honestly looking at getting an Asus router this time round but I have read a few reviews and they don't seem to do as well as other routers of comparable price when it comes to wireless and wan to lan throughput so I have once again come back to Linksys. These are the two routers I am looking at and I was wondering if anyone had any final thoughts. I would love the Asus but I don't need 8 port in the room it is going to be in and as much as I love the idea of multiple links, I wouldn't use it. I am definitely edging towards the Linksys atm, it has had some cracking reviews.

Asus AC88u on Amazon
Linksys EA8500 on Amazon

I really fancied getting a tri-band router such as the Linksys EA9200 but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the UK.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

That seems like an incredible amount to be spending; do they travel through time and space aswell ?

I've never spent more than £30 on a router and have rarely had any problems.

General Maximus 31-01-2016 19:02

whenever I buy anything I always like to buy top of the range so I know it is going to last me a while. I think I bought my Linksys E3000 for 50mbits back in 2007 (or whenever it first came out) so it has done well. I have got two other routers which are far much newer and they serve as wireless access points atm. I could just swap them round and I am sure the EA6300 would do the job quite nicely but I like the idea of a kick ass AC router with loads of new features.

Paul 31-01-2016 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35819728)
I've never spent more than £30 on a router and have rarely had any problems.

< £30 on a GigaBit router ? What router was that exactly ?

Kushan 01-02-2016 09:08

If it's a toss-up between those two, I'd go for the Linksys.

SimonB79 05-02-2016 10:37

I got the Linksys ea8500 the day of release for £250 via Amazon! :erm:

(fantastic router but you might wanna wait til the EA9500 hits Amazon in April if your looking for true cutting edge lol) :D

General Maximus 05-02-2016 14:12

I think i might do that. I see the ea9200 is out now but it must be US only because i cant find it anywhere in the UK. A mu mimo router is good but i would really like a tri band router so i know i have got something which is going to last me as long as my current router has.