Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704599)

muppetman11 19-03-2017 10:21

Re: Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

I'm now on the latest Sky Q Software and on the whole it's been pretty flawless in operation and offers us far more than Sky+HD ever did.

denphone 19-03-2017 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35890706)
I'm now on the latest Sky Q Software and on the whole it's been pretty flawless in operation and offers us far more than Sky+HD ever did.

As l say not everybody gets the same experience sadly MM but one should not exaggerate the problems like some do sometimes.

muppetman11 19-03-2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890707)
As l say not everybody gets the same experience sadly MM but one should not exaggerate the problems like some do sometimes.

Agreed both Virgin and Sky know exactly how many problems.are being reported via the many channels such as call centres , online community , social media etc and direct resources accordingly.

Reading online forums and assuming everyone is having problems is something most people do , just look at the current next gen Youview software there are many many disgruntled punters posting on the forums giving the perception everyone hates it when in fact it's still probably the minority.

heavyside 19-03-2017 11:20

I hadn't watched the Gadget Show for a long time as the presenters and those pointless and tedious 'challenges' used to annoy me but I did record this edition especially to see their review of the V6. I have had a pair of V6s for more than six weeks and I am pleased with them but if I had watched this show and their lukewarm review I might have postponed updating my slow and buggy TiVo boxes. The potential of daisy-chaining boxes together was not mentioned at all but IMO John Bentley hit the nail on the head when he bemoaned the lack of 4K content and especially when he said that what many people want - me included - is the widest variety of programming (he mentioned Netflix, Amazon and Now TV) all available via the same box. I can only hope that Virgin Media were listening and took notes.

theone2k10 19-03-2017 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35890701)
As an ex sky subscriber (17 years) who has recently switched to v6:-

There are far more errors reported on SkyQ.

Well used features from skyHD were omitted from SkyQ software (much to chagrin of many users)

Errors are minor on V6 when compared to those on SkyQ.

Virgin seem a bit more open with regard to admitting errors exist than sky (who often deny any such problem is known to them, do not pre-advise what problems are to be fixed in upcoming releases - or when release is happening)

Without doubt both systems are an Improvement when they work.

Kind of think i may of dodged a bullet with SKYQ at time i went back to SKY as offer was for 2tb SKYQ box however housing association were being awkward and wouldn't let SKY upgrade the system even though SKY were happy to do it for free lol so ended up with sky+hd box i bought from cash converters, sky were good enough to allow me to still keep my offer and said just check back when contract ends for skyq.
It will be interesting next year when SKY launch SKYQ online with their online tv service.

Raider999 19-03-2017 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35890706)

Has the latest SkyQ software got

1) manual recording?

2) favourite channels?

3) reminders?

All of these used to be available on sky+HD

muppetman11 19-03-2017 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35890789)

1) manual recording?

2) favourite channels?

3) reminders?

Did you see the part were I said for us , if I'm honest I haven't a clue as I hardly ever used any of the above even when on Sky+HD. I never record Sport , I pay a Premium to watch Live. Most of the US Sport I watch on Sky Sports is generally available in HD the morning after via On Demand so really no need to record and it saves FF the ad breaks.

OLD BOY 19-03-2017 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35890789)

1) manual recording?

2) favourite channels?

3) reminders?

I would be rather surprised if you didn't have manual recording, but not bothered about the others. To this day, I can't see why people need to be 'reminded' that the box is recording a programme! Bizarre!

denphone 20-03-2017 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35890800)
I would be rather surprised if you didn't have manual recording, but not bothered about the others. To this day, I can't see why people need to be 'reminded' that the box is recording a programme! Bizarre!

Oh dear you seem to have rather put your foot in it again my wise sage.;)

OLD BOY 20-03-2017 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890822)
Oh dear you seem to have rather put your foot in it again my wise sage.;)

Well, things tend to be a bit quiet at the beginning of the week!

muppetman11 20-03-2017 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35890800)

Sky Q doesn't have manual recording I believe that said I wouldn't know if it's been added as I've never used it on any box.

alwaysabear 20-03-2017 14:07

Does sky q have dynamic epg?

RichardCoulter 20-03-2017 14:56

Don't know, but the TiVo does to an extent.

muppetman11 20-03-2017 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35890861)
Does sky q have dynamic epg?

I believe the schedule can be updated on the fly by the broadcaster just like with Sky+HD.

RobboEdin 20-03-2017 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35890875)
Don't know, but the TiVo does to an extent.

TiVo and V6 absolutely do not have a dynamic EPG.
The guide is only updated 4 times a day on these boxes and can't accommodate last minute schedule changes.