Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 Suggestion Box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704456)

heavyside 11-02-2017 15:32

V6 Suggestion Box

I've had my two V6s for over a week now. The installation was smooth and relatively quick and, so far, the new boxes have been trouble free without any of the problems plaguing some of the other posters to Cable Forum. I should point out that I have a hard-wired Cat6 set-up via a Superhub 2. The greatly increased speed is very welcome, as are the extra tuners, and at long last I can stream HD recordings from one box to the other without the dreaded 'Network Too Slow (V69)' errors that made my viewing such a misery on the old TiVos. Netflix and BBC iPlayer load in a matter of seconds. Cost of the upgrade aside, I am delighted with the V6.

Nothing's perfect, of course, and I would be interested to learn how people think the V6 could be improved. Now that I can finally use multi-room streaming and watch my recordings on the TV in the room of my choice what I would like to see is the ability to review my Planned Recordings and Series Links from one box on the other - and vice-versa in much the same way I can review my recordings across both V6s.

Constructive suggestions only, please. There are plenty of other threads on Cable Forum to voice dissatisfaction and point out problems.

jb66 11-02-2017 16:17

Re: V6 Suggestion Box

WPS connecting rather than having to type in the long password of a sh3!

RobboEdin 11-02-2017 16:37

The best approach to managing the planned recordings and series links on multiple V6s and/or TiVos is through the TV Anywhere app.

fixerman 12-02-2017 07:46

A dynamic epg would be very welcome. I have a four year old Humax Freesat box which is a pleasure to use. No need for all this padding of start and finish of recording times and it deals with all programme changes and cancellations automatically.

jonbxx 13-02-2017 09:55

A Plex client would be nice in the apps section so I can stream from my NAS system. I use an android box box at the moment. There is a port for Plex - https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/tivo/

heavyside 13-02-2017 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35885219)
The best approach to managing the planned recordings and series links on multiple V6s and/or TiVos is through the TV Anywhere app.

That would be good if I had a tablet or a suitable phone. As I have neither I would like to see this feature available via the on-board V6 menus.

DJSADERS 13-02-2017 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35885478)
A Plex client would be nice in the apps section so I can stream from my NAS system. I use an android box box at the moment. There is a port for Plex - https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/tivo/

I use Plex myself... but im sure Virgin would argue that fewer people would pay for films if this was available

Raider999 17-02-2017 22:45

SAS a recent convert from sky, I am happy with most of V6.

The main thing I would change is the listing of the recordings I have and the amount of disc space already used.

I would also like more disc space - 1Tb discs don't do it for me when I used to have 2 2Tb sky boxes.

Apart fro that I would say the v6 is a good well tested system (unlike SkyQ)

muppetman11 18-02-2017 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35886372)
Apart fro that I would say the v6 is a good well tested system (unlike SkyQ)

And yet people are reporting numerous bugs just like the launch of Sky Q. There isn't a system out there that's fully bug free.

heero_yuy 18-02-2017 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35886406)
And yet people are reporting numerous bugs just like the launch of Sky Q. There isn't a system out there that's fully bug free.

Remember the old programmers adage: The only software that is bug free is obsolete. ;)

muppetman11 18-02-2017 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35886409)
Remember the old programmers adage: The only software that is bug free is obsolete. ;)

Exactly , go on the Apple or Android boards after a major update and the board usually goes into meltdown.:D

denphone 18-02-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35886406)

For once MM l agree with you completely.:D

heavyside 18-02-2017 15:12

I have now had the opportunity to play with my V6s a bit more. I have found them to be glitch-free and I remain very pleased. Given that Netflix now loads so quickly - barely more time than it takes to change channels - I can't help feeling that Virgin media are missing a trick by not having a similar app for Amazon Prime.

Given the greatly improved speed and streaming reliability I also feel that it would make more sense to have all recordings and bookmarks, regardless of which box they are recorded or bookmarked on, appear in the same menu rather than having to scroll down and click through to the menu for the second V6 box.

BenMcr 18-02-2017 15:39

I'd expect they're kept separate to avoid accidental deletion of content from the other box.

heavyside 18-02-2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35886451)
I'd expect they're kept separate to avoid accidental deletion of content from the other box.

With TiVo accidental deletion has never struck me as a big deal since recordings can be recovered, often for weeks afterwards, from the Recently Deleted folder. I'm sold on the idea of everything - recordings, bookmarks and so on - being in one place. I find I'm more likely to duplicate recordings than accidentally delete them because I can't see planned recordings on one box on the other (and vice versa).