Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686670)

BenMcr 30-03-2012 13:16

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/1119141

Quote:

As we begin migrating you to your new faster broadband speeds, we're making some changes to our subscriber traffic management (STM) policies to help maintain the quality of broadband service you've come to expect.

So we’re reducing the downstream speed reduction on 30Mb and above from 75% to 50% and introducing STM on 50Mb and 100Mb. We'll be publishing the full information on this on Monday at http://www.virginmedia.com/traffic/

In addition as part of the speed doubling programme, where you'll receive faster speeds and with the significant additional investment we're making to our network, we'll be trialling a variety of different approaches to traffic management over the coming months to make the system more intelligent and flexible, while ensuring the optimal quality of service. We'll publish more information on this as soon as it's available.

lordofangels 30-03-2012 13:23

Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

So when the 200Mb comes out, that will be free from STM, giving us an incentive to move over to it.
Quite clever if i'm right. Saying that, that's not that often mind ;)

Wild Oscar 30-03-2012 13:27

I thought the 50Mb service has always had some sort of traffic management on it , or am I confusing that with something else?

I sure I got some sort of warning letter just after I subscribed to it ... ?

Chrysalis 30-03-2012 16:36

seems people still get frequently confused on this.

VM run STM and protocol shaping, 2 types of traffic management.

The latter (protocol) is on all tiers during peak hours.
The former (STM) was on up/down on all tiers below 50mbit and on UP on 50meg.

STM affects all traffic and isnt protocol sensitive.

This announcement seems to squash the rumoured change which would have been to scrap protocol shaping and replace it with some sort of intelligent STM (comcast style).

BenMcr 30-03-2012 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35407303)
This announcement seems to squash the rumoured change which would have been to scrap protocol shaping and replace it with some sort of intelligent STM (comcast style).

Thisn't the only change:

Quote:

we'll be trialling a variety of different approaches to traffic management over the coming months to make the system more intelligent and flexible, while ensuring the optimal quality of service. We'll publish more information on this as soon as it's available

Chrysalis 30-03-2012 17:10

I read that also, but it would be a very strange move to do this change and then another change (more major) soon after. Although knowing VM.....

Risco 30-03-2012 17:17

As long as the limits are reasonable, I am fine with it, so long as it means I can max out my connection more often at peak times and not suffer poor pings.

broadbandking 30-03-2012 17:39

So they are introducing STM on 50Mb and 100Mb what about the 120Mb, so that means once my speed has been increased from 50Mb to 100Mb that if I get STM'd I will still get 50Mb sounds good to me.

keepitretro 30-03-2012 19:43

OK just rang up and they said 100/120 mb will be 250gig before STM kicks in and then a 50% reduction in speed, and STM times will run from 10AM till 3PM, but he didn't know about the protocol shaping? And the upload will be 120gig before STM kicks in.....

Was going to leave but the changes seem fair enough to me, plus infinity has been put back 3 months in my area!!!!

gouldy 30-03-2012 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35407348)
So they are introducing STM on 50Mb and 100Mb what about the 120Mb, so that means once my speed has been increased from 50Mb to 100Mb that if I get STM'd I will still get 50Mb sounds good to me.

well you must be easily pleased then, cause it sounds proper (Mod Edit, please do not try to avoid the swear filter) to me
STM on 100mb, people will leave in there droves if there FTTC enabled

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

250gig :D if you believe that, you'll believe anything

keepitretro 30-03-2012 19:52

Can't see how its possible to do 250 gig in 5 hours anyway and only did just under 200gig last month!

Skie 30-03-2012 19:58

Last week I did 30 gig in slightly over an hour on 50meg. OS Maps are kinda huge :)

Maggy 30-03-2012 20:02

Please folks this is a family friendly site so do not try to evade the swear filter.Those that continue to do so will incur infractions.

hjf288 30-03-2012 20:08

Might be time to get in contact with BT Infinity...

keepitretro 30-03-2012 20:18

I might just celebrate by extending my Astraweb subscription by a month!!!!!

gouldy 30-03-2012 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf288 (Post 35407428)
Might be time to get in contact with BT Infinity...

i cant get it yet, but tbh if i could get the 80/20 that will be rolled out soon, this new stm on 100mb might be enough to push me over to bt tbh, unless the stm is very high, say 40gb minimum

but i wouldn't be surprised it being 15-20gb tops

nothing short of a disgrace paying top, top dollar and having it restricted, going to 100mb and not worrying about stm was my main reason upgrading (and having the 10mb upload) :td:

if im gonna have to start watching what im downloading, i will probably drop down to 30/3 and download in the night like i did before

Chrysalis 30-03-2012 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepitretro (Post 35407409)
OK just rang up and they said 100/120 mb will be 250gig before STM kicks in and then a 50% reduction in speed, and STM times will run from 10AM till 3PM, but he didn't know about the protocol shaping? And the upload will be 120gig before STM kicks in.....

Was going to leave but the changes seem fair enough to me, plus infinity has been put back 3 months in my area!!!!

250gig per day? that sounds very high actually, how long would it take to download 250gig with 100mbit speeds?

did he say upload STM limit?

keepitretro 30-03-2012 20:48

120gb between 10am and 3pm.

Chrysalis 30-03-2012 20:54

even thats very high.

they gone from one extreme to the other.

with limits that high they may as well keep it STM free and avoid the bad PR.

ok so a 100mbit line can do 32tb a month which I calculated at a per hour rate of 44gig an hour.

for an unlimited service of course there really shouldnt be any of these games going on but knowing how hard VM are pushing their capacity then for this to be effective I would expect it to allow 2 hours max of full speed constant usage. which would be about 90gig of usage. and on upload about an hour of usage as thats much more congested so maybe about 4.5gig usage on upload STM for top tier. In short with these limits I dont know why they bothering.

kwikbreaks 30-03-2012 22:00

Nor me. I doubt the numbers are correct.

philipp 30-03-2012 23:21

If those numbers are correct, I bet its for a 28/monthly period. We shall soon see. If its correct, based on 28-day figure, it be a 170 gig reduction between those times.

I have a feeling its some confusion over the figures, however as isnt 250 gig a month figure the magical decremential use figure in peak times?

watzizname 31-03-2012 00:54

Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually per month..

knack 31-03-2012 04:42

Removing unlimited downloads would be an extreme change which I think is very unlikely.

I think (and hope) the person that keepitretro spoke to just didn't know what they were talking about.

keepitretro 31-03-2012 05:03

They sounded like they knew what they were talking about! For a change.

General Maximus 31-03-2012 06:57

I am not too bothered about the usage limits but if it is going to be between 1000 and 1500 it is a flipping joke and shows the network isnt up to scratch and they shouldnt be doing the speed increases. I can understand 1600-2100 for peak time in the evenings but if you are going to implement stm all day (when most people are at work) and only be un-stm'd at night, that means the network cant handle the speed at all unless everyone is asleep and there are a hand full of people using it in the country.

DaMac 31-03-2012 07:48

I'm on 50 meg, and i've recently noticed my connection being capped at 15 meg at peak times, it must be a recent thing because i've never noticed it before, have Virgin changed their policy without letting me know?

broadbandking 31-03-2012 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gouldy (Post 35407434)
i cant get it yet, but tbh if i could get the 80/20 that will be rolled out soon, this new stm on 100mb might be enough to push me over to bt tbh, unless the stm is very high, say 40gb minimum

but i wouldn't be surprised it being 15-20gb tops

nothing short of a disgrace paying top, top dollar and having it restricted, going to 100mb and not worrying about stm was my main reason upgrading (and having the 10mb upload) :td:

if im gonna have to start watching what im downloading, i will probably drop down to 30/3 and download in the night like i did before

The price of 100Mb is hardly top dollar take a look at leased lines now that top dollar, VM run a contented service so the bandwidth will be shared downloading anything I think 50Mb is more than enough and you seriously can't download that much everynight even streaming HD all night you wouldn't get STM'd as I am guessing the limits won't be that low.

carlwaring 31-03-2012 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35407523)
Removing unlimited downloads would be an extreme change which I think is very unlikely.

Who said they're "removing unlimited downloads"? :confused:

All tiers have always had un-limited downloads, just not unlimited speed; and it looks like this is to continue.

data0002 31-03-2012 12:37

Just a quick question if they are removing the 50meg unlimited downloads and sort of capping haven't they got to give us 28 days notice as it will be a change of our t&c's

knack 31-03-2012 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35407551)
Who said they're "removing unlimited downloads"? :confused:

All tiers have always had un-limited downloads, just not unlimited speed; and it looks like this is to continue.

Hmm now I'm confused - I thought that's what the posts above mine were implying. Perhaps I'm wrong:

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipp (Post 35407509)
If those numbers are correct, I bet its for a 28/monthly period. We shall soon see. If its correct, based on 28-day figure, it be a 170 gig reduction between those times.

I have a feeling its some confusion over the figures, however as isnt 250 gig a month figure the magical decremential use figure in peak times?

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzizname (Post 35407519)
Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually per month..

philipp 31-03-2012 16:58

You where wrong with mine one. I added the stm figures of 30mbit between the 2 times and added them.

Instead of a daily trigger it might be a monthly one where you go above that you be stmed between peak times for that month.

the 250 gig figure is what they could contact you if you go above this (depending on the utilisation in your area) for decremential use.

knack 31-03-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipp (Post 35407693)
You where wrong with mine one. I added the stm figures of 30mbit between the 2 times and added them.

Instead of a daily trigger it might be a monthly one where you go above that you be stmed between peak times for that month.

the 250 gig figure is what they could contact you if you go above this (depending on the utilisation in your area) for decremential use.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

philipp 31-03-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35407698)
Ah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

no problem. various adsl suppliers like enta, plusnet have a fixed limit during peak and then unlimited off-peak but they stm is much more restrictive (snails pace) than vm.

General Maximus 31-03-2012 17:27

i dont mind a 250gb monthly limit as long as any stm which is applied isnt 24hrs so I can still get full speed during the night.

philipp 31-03-2012 17:36

Neither do I. (Even less than that tbh) But saying that you expect to have a bandwidth monitor in myvirginmedia.com so I think they might have just changed the limits (maybe less than there are now since they have increased the percentage of stm'ed figure.

We will all find out on Monday what they are do.

General Maximus 31-03-2012 17:41

stm is a pain in the ass. I wish they would just give us the option to pay the un-discounted price of £35 and keep things as they are.

broadbandking 01-04-2012 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35407715)
stm is a pain in the ass. I wish they would just give us the option to pay the un-discounted price of £35 and keep things as they are.

Never gonna happen.

General Maximus 01-04-2012 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35407878)
Never gonna happen.

Why not? I am not asking for anything new, i just want to keep what i have already got

Chrysalis 01-04-2012 14:56

I dont think you get more than that out of any VM staff here, they dont seem to want to say anything outside of offical announcements.

Most likely reason is VM realised they couldnt handle un STM'd 100mbit and had a choice of STMing it or increasing prices to make it viable to pay for upgrades, the latter I suspect needed a price much higher than £35 a month.

Another possible reason is they felt takeup was too low which looked bad on shareholder reports so dropped the price to get higher takeup and in that instance they prefer to sell a more crippled product with the same headline speed (in fact will be higher headline speed) but with higher takeup due to the lower price. Government pushing may also have had an affect on this as ministers want more people on higher speeds.

Sirius 01-04-2012 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35407981)
I dont think you get more than that out of any VM staff here, they dont seem to want to say anything outside of offical announcements.

And your reason for that unwarranted little dig, I take it you received some minor form of pleasure from it.

If you expect us to release company confidential information at your beckon call let me tell you its NOT going to happen.

Chrysalis 01-04-2012 15:40

no pleasure.

just you been paranoid.

Sirius 01-04-2012 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35408015)
no pleasure.

Excellent i am glad

Must go and take my medicine for paranoia, Some 15 year old Glenfiddich should do it.

kwikbreaks 01-04-2012 16:13

Quote:

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35407983)
If you expect us to release company confidential information at your beckon call let me tell you its NOT going to happen.

Nice to see Sirius agreeing with somebody....

Gavin78 01-04-2012 16:50

astraweb are doing a deal at the moment 1000gig for £30

carlwaring 01-04-2012 16:56

Quote:

Given that they would probably lose their job if they did, I am quite happy for them not to.

Quote:

Most likely....... I suspect....
Quote:

Another possible reason is...
So, just just mindless speculation from you then with no basis other than something against VM by the sound of it.

General Maximus 01-04-2012 17:26

Quote:

Most likely reason is VM realised they couldnt handle un STM'd 100mbit and had a choice of STMing it or increasing prices to make it viable to pay for upgrades, the latter I suspect needed a price much higher than £35 a month

if that is the case then I would like to see them do some form of bolt-on like for mobile phones where you can pay an extra £5 for another 50gb before you get stm'd or something.

jagsman 01-04-2012 18:18

No matter what they do, they have to make sure it works correctly. I am on the 10mb, and at this precise moment I have shot well past their download limits. I have downloaded over 9gb since 9am, and my speeds are unaffected. Considering the download limits are 3gb between 9am and 3pm, and 1.5gb between 4pm and 9pm, at this moment I should be capped to 25% of my normal speed. The problem I have with Virgins STM, is that at precisely 9pm, my speeds will be capped. They dont get capped when I breach the 3gb or 1.5gb. All this downloading has been done using torrents, so the protocol shaping doesnt work.

carlwaring 01-04-2012 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35408063)
if that is the case then I would like to see them do some form of bolt-on like for mobile phones where you can pay an extra £5 for another 50gb before you get stm'd or something.

You know this is about their cable broadband services, right? :confused:

craigj2k12 01-04-2012 19:05

the bit before the bold says "like"

Milambar 01-04-2012 19:43

If they are going to move to a monthly stm cap, and the information available on these forums seems to suggest that is the case, then they really do need to provide a server-side based bandwith monitor.

However until theres official statements, its just speculation.

Jumping 01-04-2012 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35408106)

Yeah cause he wants boltons like you get on the mobile network for extra data limits. Not sure how its confusing.

carlwaring 01-04-2012 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12 (Post 35408113)
the bit before the bold says "like"

:o:

Mad Max 01-04-2012 20:09

Quote:

Eh...........:confused:

General Maximus 01-04-2012 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35408106)

no, I want to pay £5 a month so I can download 50gb through my mobile phone :banghead:

So lets review the conversation for those of us who cant keep up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35407715)

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35407878)
Never gonna happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35407952)
Why not? I am not asking for anything new, i just want to keep what i have already got

Quote:

Most likely reason is VM realised they couldnt handle un STM'd 100mbit and had a choice of STMing it or increasing prices to make it viable to pay for upgrades, the latter I suspect needed a price much higher than £35 a month

Quote:

Sooooooo, given that I can't keep my current 100mbit service as it is and Chrysalis has suggested that it would cost significantly more than what I currently pay, I used an analogy of an already implemented service being used on another technology (mobile phones :spin: ) to provide an example of how VM can implement a graduated price plan to off set the additional expense for those customers who want an stm free service.

Chrysalis 01-04-2012 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35408045)
Given that they would probably lose their job if they did, I am quite happy for them not to.

So, just just mindless speculation from you then with no basis other than something against VM by the sound of it.

where did I say it wasnt speculation?

I buy services of VM I dont have to like them.

carlwaring 01-04-2012 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35408175)
So lets review the conversation for those of us who cant keep up.

And you're so perfect you never make mistakes or mis-understand anything? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35408193)
I buy services of VM I dont have to like them.

I don't generally buy anything from a company I don't like. I assume you don't have any choice where you live?

BenMcr 02-04-2012 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milambar (Post 35408128)
If they are going to move to a monthly stm cap, and the information available on these forums seems to suggest that is the case, then they really do need to provide a server-side based bandwith monitor.

However until theres official statements, its just speculation.

They are not moving to a monthly STM cap

telfordcable 02-04-2012 10:45

Where is the official new STM today ? There is nothing on it yet.

BenMcr 02-04-2012 10:49

The day isn't over yet

telfordcable 02-04-2012 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35408344)
The day isn't over yet

Maybe they can't decided yet because if the STM is pretty worse than the old one, and if Sky bring FTTC 80/20 with totally UNLIMITED and no FUP and no cap, then I think more peoples will be leaving Virgin Media to join Sky Broadband but I think Virgin Media had to be careful not to lose too many customers once Sky FTTC launching soon this month.

BenMcr 02-04-2012 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by telfordcable (Post 35408347)
Maybe they can't decided yet because if the STM is pretty worse than the old one

Except it's not, for most people

telfordcable 02-04-2012 10:57

I bet lower 30 Meg will be worse off on STM then the higher one 120 Meg.

I hope 30 Meg will allow 10Gb per day or 310Gb per month before it kick in STM with 50% reduce in speed from 30 to 15 Meg ?

BenMcr 02-04-2012 11:26

New management policy is now live at www.virginmedia.com/traffic

philipp 02-04-2012 11:40

Its not as bad as I thought.

The only niggle I have is waiting for double speed (from october mine apparantly is). As soon as you have double speed your quota gets doubled. Like the way it only halves though.

(XXL 50 is 10 gig daytime , 5 gig 4-9 )
(XXL 100 is 20 gig daytime , 10 gig 4-9 )

telfordcable 02-04-2012 11:42

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/04/67.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/04/68.jpg

BenMcr 02-04-2012 11:43

Was there any need to do that?

Sirius 02-04-2012 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35408380)
Was there any need to do that?

Its what trolls do

I have no issue with the new STM

telfordcable 02-04-2012 11:52

New STM isn't that bad at all. But, will they restrict on BBCi player, Skygo, YouTubes, Skype video chat ?

mark1234 02-04-2012 11:55

So, going from 20Mb to 60Mb (as per the planned upgrades) means that the peak time download limit goes from 3500MB to 5000MB. Proportionately that's a lot worse. Though I guess the 50% reduction still gives more than 20Mb was to start with.

BenMcr 02-04-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by telfordcable (Post 35408386)
New STM isn't that bad at all. But, will they restrict on BBCi player, Skygo, YouTubes, Skype video chat ?

The way the management works hasn't changed

smallclone 02-04-2012 11:56

A bit confused. I'm on 10MB (though I only get about 3MB) . I won't be "upgraded" until October 2012 - July 2013.

Therefore this doesn't affect me

right?

BenMcr 02-04-2012 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35408389)
A bit confused. I'm on 10MB (though I only get about 3MB) . I won't be "upgraded" until October 2012 - July 2013.

Therefore this doesn't affect me

right?

Correct. The management on M 10, L 10 and XL 20 hasn't changed

smallclone 02-04-2012 11:58

Thanks

peanut 02-04-2012 12:01

Just as well my area is due to be upgraded this month to 100mb. I feel sorry for those on 50mb that's going to have a long wait.

Kymmy 02-04-2012 12:05

Mines due March/April (I presume it's now April ;)) but as I download everything about 7-9am It's not going to be an issue on the current 50Mb

pace508 02-04-2012 12:15

hi
i am new to this traffic management, i download between 6.30am to 9am is this counted in some way

*sloman* 02-04-2012 12:17

So let me get this right!!!

I'm XXL100 (soon to be 120)

Between 10am-3pm i can download (20000MB) just shy of 20GB (20480MB)
Between 4pm-9pm i can download (10000MB) just shy of 10GB (10240MB)

Luckily this is a family forum so i cant express how i really feel!

Thankfully BT infinity is in my area, and the new box is only 30meters from my house!

BenMcr 02-04-2012 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by *sloman* (Post 35408402)

You can download more than that, but at up to 50Mbit rather than up to 100Mbit

pace508 02-04-2012 12:22

sorry forgot to mention i just be upgraded on double speed to 60meg

BenMcr 02-04-2012 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pace508 (Post 35408399)
hi
i am new to this traffic management, i download between 6.30am to 9am is this counted in some way

Quote:

Originally Posted by pace508 (Post 35408405)
sorry forgot to mention i just be upgraded on double speed to 60meg

Management doesn't start until 10am

pace508 02-04-2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35408406)
Management doesn't start until 10am

i cannot see the new traffic management affecting me, if thats the case

kwikbreaks 02-04-2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by *sloman* (Post 35408402)

Luckily this is a family forum so i cant express how i really feel!

Thankfully BT infinity is in my area, and the new box is only 30meters from my house!

So that's 30GB a day or close to 1TB a month in what most ISPs would class as peak times before there is any restriction. If you do exceed that then the restriction is to reduce your speed to 50Mbps which is still faster than most other ISPs can deliver.

To my mind it's a very generous allowance. Far too generous IMO as if more than a tiny proportion of the customers in an area use that amount on a regular basis it will way exceed the local capacity.

*sloman* 02-04-2012 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikbreaks (Post 35408415)
So that's 30GB a day or close to 1TB a month in what most ISPs would class as peak times before there is any restriction. If you do exceed that then the restriction is to reduce your speed to 50Mbps which is still faster than most other ISPs can deliver.

To my mind it's a very generous allowance. Far too generous IMO as if more than a tiny proportion of the customers in an area use that amount on a regular basis it will way exceed the local capacity.

I would prefer a monthly limit, why should I be penalised for 5hrs if i download a couple HD rips. When i was on 20mb it was not the reduction in speed but the affect it had on ping for online gaming!

(yeah i'm not going to lie about why i have 100mb, 90% of 100mb will be doing the same. no point saying its just for downloading linux distro's from newsgroups ;)

mrselfdestruct 02-04-2012 13:37

Not sure why for 100Mb it states the upgraded upload speed as 10Mb? Surely it would be 12Mb when it moves to 120Mb eventually?

Also, why is the standard upload speed for the independant 100Mb tier N/A? when the standards 10Mb?

Confused.

telfordcable 02-04-2012 13:38

don't think upload won't be 12Mb now. Staying at 10Mb.

BenMcr 02-04-2012 13:43

It's already been metioned about the table over on the Community Forum and I've fed it back.

It was done like that because the 'full' 100Mbit tier has only has one upstream speed, where the others have had/got two depending on how you've got it as part of the upgrade.

telfordcable 02-04-2012 13:58

Virgin Media should get a new package eg: 80/20 to match BT FTTC (wishful thinking)

JPAC 02-04-2012 14:15

When the speed gets doubled, what's the difference between XL and ML20?

BenMcr 02-04-2012 14:16

about 40Mbit as XL will be 60Mbit ;)

Jayster 02-04-2012 14:22

You just have to ask yourself, whats the point?

JPAC 02-04-2012 14:26

Sorry, I meant to ask, when speeds are doubled what will Size:L be called?

XL or ML20?

BenMcr 02-04-2012 14:30

It'll be L (up to 20Mbit) on the bill I believe. But in the table it's ML20 as M and L are being merged into the same tier

Sirius 02-04-2012 14:33

So the virgin website shows me as being on the new super duper doubled speed but its still 100 meg not the 120 meg it should be. They say thats a problem with the website but have not fixed it yet, :mad:.

So who wants to bet they still give me the new traffic management even when they have not given me the 120 meg :mad:

BenMcr 02-04-2012 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408476)
So the virgin website shows me as being on the new super duper doubled speed but its still 100 meg not the 120 it should be if i was on the new teir :mad:

Bet they give me the new traffic management even when they have not given me the 120 meg :mad:

120Mbit hasn't launched yet - that's later this year

Sirius 02-04-2012 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by By Mcr (Post 35408477)
120 Mbit hasn't launched yet - that's later this year

So later this year for the traffic management for existing 100 meg users then is it ??, Because that's my upgrade to super duper speed and they say this traffic management does not hit you till you are upgraded, i hope i don't get the new traffic management now because that means there pulling a fast one YET AGAIN.

BenMcr 02-04-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408485)
So later this year for the traffic management, Because that's my upgrade to super duper speed and they say this does not hit you till then, i hope i don't get the new traffic management now because that means there pulling a fast one YET AGAIN.

Traffic Management on 50 and 100Mbit does apply now. Virgin have never sold either as being a guaranteed unmanaged connection

Sirius 02-04-2012 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35408486)
Traffic Management on 50 and 100Mbit does apply now. Virgin have never sold either as being a guaranteed unmanaged connection

So does the new traffic management affect those that have NOT been upgraded ?

Quote:

As customers are migrated to their fantastic new speeds during the Speed Doubling program, we’ll be relaxing our traffic management policy by expanding their traffic management trigger thresholds.
So why will i be hit now when my upgrade has not happened yet ??

jimexbox 02-04-2012 14:43

Its there now...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...E=Cable#double

BenMcr 02-04-2012 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35408488)
So does the new traffic managment affect those that have NOT been upgraded ?

Yes

Sirius 02-04-2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35408492)
Yes

Then the rest is " Whats the chuffing point" i think you will get the rest from that :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: