Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : SH3 Wi-Fi Range (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704863)

PAULRYAN52 09-05-2017 00:14

SH3 Wi-Fi Range

Hi, what's the SH3 Wi-Fi range like compared to the SH2-AC,I'm getting 200M installed next Monday, should be a good upgrade from Sky Fibre Max

SnoopZ 09-05-2017 00:51

Re: SH3 Wi-Fi Range

In my experience i think it is the same as my SH2ac.

jb66 09-05-2017 09:32

Just as good as the SH2AC

Stephen 09-05-2017 13:43

WiFi range though will always depend on your home and various other factors so will vary for everyone.

dannybear 09-05-2017 16:55

I found that the wireless range on SH3 is slightly better than the SH2ac, but not a major big gain.

toonlight 13-05-2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULRYAN52 (Post 35898094)
Hi, what's the SH3 Wi-Fi range like compared to the SH2-AC,I'm getting 200M installed next Monday, should be a good upgrade from Sky Fibre Max

To go off the point a little butt VM modems aren't known for their WI-FI qualities (range) just to put that out there.... but if you are going to move to VM200, you would get best out of wired network (speed) rather than a wireless one. With using connections with a Ethernet cable + network switch & some plugs + sockets around the places you need.... you'll have little issues + very simple to set up. With wireless you'll have more than you can shake a stick at (issues/problems), if you want a good as secure connection. Note the word "secure connection" as wireless isn't, I think I don't need to provide any examples why I hope..........

It's your own choice plus your own health issues with regards to (exposer) wireless routers with consideration their long term effects on the human body (DNA) just as with smart meters :fit: You don't use them :redcard:

Any issues don't hesitate on ask - I don't bite ;)

Sephiroth 13-05-2017 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonlight (Post 35898723)
To go off the point a little butt VM modems aren't known for their WI-FI qualities (range) just to put that out there.... but if you are going to move to VM200, you would get best out of wired network (speed) rather than a wireless one.
<SNIP>

An impractical suggestion in the context of smart phones and tablets.

PAULRYAN52 13-05-2017 17:54

my pc will be connected with wire, but rest will be wireless

Aye Up 15-05-2017 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonlight (Post 35898723)
To go off the point a little butt VM modems aren't known for their WI-FI qualities (range) just to put that out there.... but if you are going to move to VM200, you would get best out of wired network (speed) rather than a wireless one. With using connections with a Ethernet cable + network switch & some plugs + sockets around the places you need.... you'll have little issues + very simple to set up. With wireless you'll have more than you can shake a stick at (issues/problems), if you want a good as secure connection. Note the word "secure connection" as wireless isn't, I think I don't need to provide any examples why I hope..........

It's your own choice plus your own health issues with regards to (exposer) wireless routers with consideration their long term effects on the human body (DNA) just as with smart meters :fit: You don't use them :redcard:

Any issues don't hesitate on ask - I don't bite ;)

What a load of bollocks!

Are you a member of the tin hat brigade?

For a start its long recognised that SH2/AC are good routers, fixed many of the flaws in SH1. SH3 granted it had its quirks and that not so convenient issue with the chipset causing erratic pings. The wifi on the other hand is a lot stronger and meets a high spec of AC wireless standards......so its wifi is better than the last.

Then you talk about Wifi connections not being secure, name a situation or incident where an average joe has managed to hack a WPA(2)-PSK secured connection? There is no known hack to joe bloggs, we all know WEP is incredibly insecure, yet SH2 and SH3 ship with WPA enabled by default. Again you talk a load of bollocks.

and then the crap about health.......FFS only ionising radiation can alter the cells in the body. Non ionising radiation which routers, mobiles, telephones et al emit is harmless and there has been no credible study to suggest otherwise.

Buddy you'd be better off giving advice to your mates in that nuclear bunker you built, because what you've given here is nonsense.

Paul 15-05-2017 23:51

Ok, take it down a notch, there was no need for such a tone.

General Maximus 16-05-2017 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 35898962)
Non ionising radiation which routers, mobiles, telephones et al emit is harmless and there has been no credible study to suggest otherwise.

you clearly haven't seen the news today. 100 petrol stations round the country spontaneously combusted when drivers used their phones on the forecourt :afire:

Sephiroth 16-05-2017 06:58

Tone apart, Aye Up is right about non-ionising radiation.

jb66 16-05-2017 07:31

Very much enjoyed the tone, good read

Synthetic 16-05-2017 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35898982)
Very much enjoyed the tone, good read

Agreed, Well said mate :D

Aye Up 20-05-2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35898970)
Ok, take it down a notch, there was no need for such a tone.

Forgive me, but such a ludicrous post deserved the response I gave. You have been running this forum for yonks and its always been a place of straight talking and helpful input. What he said was not helpful, you know it and everyone else does, it was a pile of crap.

The OP came on here for friendly advice, something he isn't getting from the tin foil hat brigade.

I apologise if my tone of post is coarse, however none of what I said is factually inaccurate. The last thing this forum needs is a nutjob who thinks you can get cancer standing next to a router...........basic physics would tell you otherwise.