Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bitcoin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705619)

Qtx 07-12-2017 19:54

Re: Bitcoin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35924296)
You can for £5,200 :O

Or £11,650 now...less than one month after you posted that :)

I have no doubt it's a bubble that will burst at some point but with btc's first futures exchange opening business on Monday, it probably has a way to go yet.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial adviser and just a newbie in currency trading so don't buy anything based on what I say, unless it's ice-cream. I know my ice-creaml!

Osem 07-12-2017 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35927902)

I have no doubt it's a bubble that will burst at some point but with btc's first futures exchange opening business on Monday, it probably has a way to go yet.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial adviser and just a newbie in currency trading so don't buy anything based on what I say, unless it's ice-cream. I know my ice-creaml!

It is a bubble and all of them do, it's just a question of when. For every bit-millionaire there'll be a whole lot of losers.

SnoopZ 08-12-2017 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35927902)

It actually went up to £18,500 for a while yesterday and is now sitting at £16,000.

I am still planning on buying part of 1 coin, just need to sort ID out and link my bank account, hope i haven't left too late.

Osem 09-12-2017 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35927983)
It actually went up to £18,500 for a while yesterday and is now sitting at £16,000.

I am still planning on buying part of 1 coin, just need to sort ID out and link my bank account, hope i haven't left too late.

Be careful. If you do see a profit it's better to take one (albeit small) than hang on and be forced into accepting a loss, possibly huge.

I'm getting loads of bitcoin related spam and I have no doubt that a great many people who can't really afford to lose money are being sucked into something they're going to regret. Time will tell.

SnoopZ 09-12-2017 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35928137)
Be careful. If you do see a profit it's better to take one (albeit small) than hang on and be forced into accepting a loss, possibly huge.

I'm getting loads of bitcoin related spam and I have no doubt that a great many people who can't really afford to lose money are being sucked into something they're going to regret. Time will tell.

Oh when/if i do it i will be careful, it is worth a punt for anyone, even for £500.

Never had any Bitcoin spam, atleast not yet.

pip08456 09-12-2017 11:46

I can't see it being too long before the bubble bursts. You may have left it too late for a punt. Just be careful.

Qtx 09-12-2017 12:51

Bitcoin value is volatile and a big risk. Everyone is jumping on it because of the massive gains it's had, with a 'get rich quick' mentality. There is the chance it will lose a lot of value and if you don't take it out at the right time, you can make a loss.

LiteCoin (LTC) and Ethereum (ETH) are alternative crypto-currencies which people are investing in which are rising in value, just not at the mad rate of Bicoin. Maybe investing a small amount spare cash in to one of those may be a better option for those new to it, to get a feel of how it all works. They are going up in value at the moment. I know someone who brought just £80 of LTC yesterday and it's value today is £110 to £120. That kind of small investment to start and to monitor is better than dumping in tons of money when it's your first investment IMHO.

Osem 09-12-2017 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35928154)
Oh when/if i do it i will be careful, it is worth a punt for anyone, even for £500.

Never had any Bitcoin spam, atleast not yet.

Must be a sign of age - mostly bitcoin, bingo and other gambling rubbish (free spins etc...) with a dash of Russian dating thrown in... :D

It's your choice of course and good luck but that's how pyramid schemes work, lots of small 'investors' get drawn in and lose fairly small amounts (mostly) whilst a few people get very very rich whilst they're thinking up their next money making exploit.

SnoopZ 10-12-2017 20:50

Now testing the waters carefully with BTC as i have just purchased £100 worth of a bitcoin (0.008).

Osem 10-12-2017 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35928313)
Now testing the waters carefully with BTC as i have just purchased £100 worth of a bitcoin (0.008).

Good luck. :tu:

OLD BOY 11-12-2017 18:02

I think I'll give bitcoin a pretty wide berth!

SnoopZ 16-12-2017 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35928313)

Ok i guess i can call my first Bitcoin purchase experiment a success.

6 days ago i bought £100 worth of a Bitcoin from Coinbase.com which included the transaction fee of £3.84.

I have now just sold what i bought for £112.86 after the sale fee of £2.99 was deducted, so i would say a profit of £12.86 13% is not bad for a 6 day experiment. :)

Kinda wish i had purchased the maximum weekly purchase of £750 now for my experiment, but i guess i can still chip away with small purchases and still make money and if it goes bad it won't be a great loss.

Hugh 05-02-2018 17:38

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42940728
Quote:

Lloyds Banking Group has banned its customers from buying Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies on their credit cards.

The ban, starting on Monday, applies to Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland, Halifax and MBNA customers.

It will not apply to debit cards, only to the banking group's eight million credit card customers.

The move follows a sharp fall in the value of digital currencies, prompting fears about people running up debts.

Over the weekend, several of the biggest issuers of credit cards in the US also banned customers from using their cards to buy digital currency.

The list of financial firms included Bank of America, Citigroup, JP Morgan, Capital One and Discover.

Lloyds is concerned it could end up footing the bill for unpaid debts should the price continue to fall.

pip08456 05-02-2018 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35935654)

Queue conspiracy theories about the mainstream financial institutions trying to control the flow of money etc to protect their own money making profits.

SnoopZ 05-02-2018 17:56

Not really a problem you can still buy using a debit card or like i do use a sepa transfer.

Who buys with a credit card anyway? lol