Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Party line? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686223)

neilo 11-03-2012 01:08

Party line?

When someone dials our home phone number, not only does our phone ring but next door's does as well! How do I know? Because we've had some good three way chats... Me, him and normally a confused caller.

So he said he'd call Sky - his phone company - and sort it out. But its still happening and now I have a couple of phone calls on my bill which I know aren't mine as they were made when I'm at work and I have a First Telecom dialler installed so I dont ever get any calls billed by VM.

Anyone had this before? I'm gonna call VM but I just know it's going to be tough. I'm offering the following odds:

15-1 resolved by first person I speak to
12-1 resolved by second or third person I speak to
6-4F passed from pillar to post, not resolved, calm state of mind will turn to anger

I'm putting a pound on the 15-1 outsider on the hope that this time I call, it'll be alright.

jb66 11-03-2012 08:07

Re: Party line?

It will be double jumpers at the cabinet

neilo 11-03-2012 13:55

I was told my phone line wasn't long enough on install but that it was 'sorted'.

Digital Fanatic 11-03-2012 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35397332)
When someone dials our home phone number, not only does our phone ring but next door's does as well! How do I know? Because we've had some good three way chats... Me, him and normally a confused caller.

So he said he'd call Sky - his phone company - and sort it out. But its still happening and now I have a couple of phone calls on my bill which I know aren't mine as they were made when I'm at work and I have a First Telecom dialler installed so I dont ever get any calls billed by VM.

Anyone had this before? I'm gonna call VM but I just know it's going to be tough. I'm offering the following odds:

15-1 resolved by first person I speak to
12-1 resolved by second or third person I speak to
6-4F passed from pillar to post, not resolved, calm state of mind will turn to anger

I'm putting a pound on the 15-1 outsider on the hope that this time I call, it'll be alright.

If your neighbour has Sky as their phone company, then it's got nothing to do with Virgin Media as to the "unknown" numbers on your bill. They are on 2 separate networks as Sky use BT lines.

Have you both got similar cordless phones?

neilo 13-03-2012 20:29

It's a no to the similar phones I'm afraid DF but good thought though!

Anyway took the plunge and phoned. Call went ok any someone coming out on Sat (let's see how that goes) and for the inconvenience and phone calls on the bill I got £7 comp. It should just about cover the cost of two minute long VM local calls ;)

But good response so far. V pleased this time.

Digital Fanatic 13-03-2012 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35398867)
It's a no to the similar phones I'm afraid DF but good thought though!

Anyway took the plunge and phoned. Call went ok any someone coming out on Sat (let's see how that goes) and for the inconvenience and phone calls on the bill I got £7 comp. It should just about cover the cost of two minute long VM local calls ;)

But good response so far. V pleased this time.

Let us know what happens. :)

Digital Fanatic 26-03-2012 11:07

how did you get on? Did the tech find anything, neilo?

judgey 26-03-2012 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35397358)
It will be double jumpers at the cabinet

Agreed

gondalio 29-03-2012 17:08

can't be double jumpers at cabinet if one is on sky and one is on VM. its an absolute stunner of a problem lol as I have never come across crossed line across 2 different companies ... if you were both on VM then that is definately possible crossed line but in this case i doubt the tech will b able to anything but scratch his head and drink a cuppa lol

deathtrap3000 29-03-2012 18:09

Virgin use BT lines in areas not covered by cable. The op could be in one of these areas.

gondalio 29-03-2012 20:15

good point :p wasn't mentioned in OP's post so just assumed :p

neilo 31-03-2012 10:12

So the update is that neighbour phoned Sky as well. I had a VM engineer appt booked but just before it I got an email from VM saying the problem had been resolved and there was now no need for an engineer to visit me. Email never said how it was fixed and I've not asked.

No recurrence yet! And yes, I am in a cable area.