Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Jus got a call from virgin media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684346)

wazz 04-01-2012 11:56

Jus got a call from virgin media

I jus got a call from virgin media. They said they could reduce my telephone bills I think. I said no.

Any1 else got a call from virgin media about this

Hugh 04-01-2012 12:06

Re: Jus got a call from virgin media

Yes - last month.

We were consistently spending £4-£7 per month on 084. numbers, and they pointed that for £2 per month, we could have those included in our XL phone package.

We took them up on their offer.

Peter_ 04-01-2012 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazz (Post 35354384)
I jus got a call from virgin media. They said they could reduce my telephone bills I think. I said no.

Any1 else got a call from virgin media about this

Am I not surprised.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/10/4.gif

wazz 04-01-2012 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35354385)
Yes - last month.

We were consistently spending £4-£7 per month on 084. numbers, and they pointed that for £2 per month, we could have those included in our XL phone package.

We took them up on their offer.

Did virgin media confirm and ask u the first 2 letters/number from ur password?

Peter_ 04-01-2012 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazz (Post 35354430)

The are many different ways to clear DPA and that is one of them.

You were given the option to save money and said no, ring back and ask about any deals on offer.

Hugh 04-01-2012 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazz (Post 35354430)

Not the first two, but two of the characters.

greeninferno 04-01-2012 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35354431)
The are many different ways to clear DPA and that is one of them.

You were given the option to save money and said no, ring back and ask about any deals on offer.

I also have received these calls and have been asked to give passwords over the phone - an absolute nonsense especially considering i don't have a password on the account.

Really bad practice from VM if it was genuinely VM.

Peter_ 04-01-2012 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35354442)
I also have received these calls and have been asked to give passwords over the phone - an absolute nonsense especially considering i don't have a password on the account.

Usually when setting up your account over the phone you are asked for a Customer Verification Question which is listed on the first screen we see, many people forget about that question and I would love a pound for every person who says what you posted above as most remember it when asked or we clear DPA in other ways.

The are other ways to clear DPA, such as how do you pay for your services and which bank, your date of birth even what services do you have.

Your bank will ask for certain letters from your password as well if you ring them or they ring you, Santander and Nat West do every time I speak to them.

wazz 04-01-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35354442)

Yup. When virgin media asked me to confirm 2 characters from my password. I got a bit thingy then I said no

Peter_ 04-01-2012 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazz (Post 35354485)
Yup. When virgin media asked me to confirm 2 characters from my password. I got a bit thingy then I said no

As you are only confirming information that you already know such as your password may be virgin and you say i and g and they say thank you sir ok we can offer you a cheaper deal how is that wrong, if you ring your bank you get asked similar questions and if anyone tries to say different then they are either lying or have never ever spoken to a bank over the phone.

greeninferno 05-01-2012 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35354462)
Usually when setting up your account over the phone you are asked for a Customer Verification Question which is listed on the first screen we see, many people forget about that question and I would love a pound for every person who says what you posted above as most remember it when asked or we clear DPA in other ways.

The are other ways to clear DPA, such as how do you pay for your services and which bank, your date of birth even what services do you have.

Your bank will ask for certain letters from your password as well if you ring them or they ring you, Santander and Nat West do every time I speak to them.

I've never done that so there is no password.

if its genuine they should know that looking at the screen.

if there is no password and they are asking for one they either are not genuine or don't know what they're doing.

When i phone Virgin i use the postcode/how do you pay etc. to verify who i am.

Digital Fanatic 05-01-2012 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35354963)

if there is no password and they are asking for one they either are not genuine or don't know what they're doing.

To be fair in my experience, about 90% of the people who say they don't have a password on their account actually have one on the password screen. Some have them set up on install then don't call for a while and forget it.

Others, like yourself will have a "No Password" entry on the account. ;)

Peter_ 05-01-2012 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35354963)

Which is the exact route they will go, why are you disputing what the other person was asked then, plus a Customer Verification Password can be put on your account at any time after you clear DPA, job done.

arcimedes 05-01-2012 08:17

The OP had a call FROM Virgin. I am always dubious about giving out security information to unsolicited callers.

Peter_ 05-01-2012 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35354994)
The OP had a call FROM Virgin. I am always dubious about giving out security information to unsolicited callers.

So if your bank calls and asks you questions about a trasaction do you hang up?

This happens every single day and has done for as long as I can remember.