Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   BT master socket used with Virgin cable phone? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33682539)

Bufobufo 07-11-2011 13:32

BT master socket used with Virgin cable phone?

My house phones went dead and Virgin said this time it was likely on my system, we recently had a lot of area faults, and they were right!
At the socket where their 2 wire line connects to my system I removed all other links and it works!

1. Should this first socket in my system be a BT master socket, it is not.

2. Older wired phones have never rung since we went to Virgin cable phone, only a modern wired cheapy Binatone actually rings. Is this normal? DECT cordless work.

Many thanks in advance. Teddington Toad

jb66 07-11-2011 13:51

Re: BT master socket used with Virgin cable phone?

Virgin only install one socket as standard, sometimes installers tap into the bt extensions to give you more than one or if your house was pre-wired we have to use the bt socket (or replace it)

Bufobufo 07-11-2011 15:02

Right, so there should be a BT type master socket somewhere in my system?

jb66 07-11-2011 17:20

unless it was replaced by a virgin one

Bufobufo 07-11-2011 18:05

There was no master wired into my system so I will try installing one. Thanks.

jb66 07-11-2011 18:13

Without a master the phones shouldn't ring. might be on to something

Graham M 07-11-2011 19:06

That might explain some of it, cordless phones don't generally require there to be a ring capacitor (IE in the master socket)

Bufobufo 08-11-2011 18:17

Many thanks, old BT master installed as first in the circuit and now any phone will ring when connected. Virgin had not bothered to fit one.
Now I have to find the fault on the line to the other sockets in the house, when I get a roundtuit.

dave_dph 09-11-2011 09:26

If VM haven't done the job right in the first place, i.e. installed a Linebox (master socket), then you should complain and get them back to do the job properly.

Bufobufo 09-11-2011 11:00

Oh err, getting Virgin back in, look what happened last time? I think not. If I have any more problems I will ask here first.
Now I have two working sockets, one with the cordless base and one with an old fashioned very loud phone as a back up. I can fix the wiring to the rest at leisure, or not.
Thanks to all, JohnR.