Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Question on Statins (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704288)

Arthurgray50@blu 11-01-2017 00:19

Question on Statins

Hi Members.

Good question for everyone.
Over a period of five years, l have been given different types of Statins. My Cholesterol is now down to 5.

But my GP has changed the Statins to Atorstatins

I was previous on Simvastatin's, Pravastatin's, Lipitor and now Atorstatins Tearstains.

And my god am l suffering. Over he years l have had joint pain in my Knees, arms and shoulder and now my feet.

I believe that l my now have gout in my left big toe,

I have researched the drug - which l don't normally do. I rely on the GP. And found that there is something in Statin that causes Gout.

I remember a very good friend of mine refuses t take Statin, on these grounds.

Any ideas

Kabaal 11-01-2017 01:00

Re: Question on Statins

As Captain Jack Sparrow, he'll give you an answer to fit your nonsense question.

blackthorn 11-01-2017 06:58

I thought they were all the same just different brand names. I`m on statins and if I take my script to Lloyds I get Atorvastatin and if I go to Asda I get Lipitor.

raging bull 11-01-2017 07:19

blackthorn: Same stuff!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atorvastatin

Ken W 11-01-2017 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35880026)
Hi Members.

Good question for everyone.
Over a period of five years, l have been given different types of Statins. My Cholesterol is now down to 5.

But my GP has changed the Statins to Atorstatins

I was previous on Simvastatin's, Pravastatin's, Lipitor and now Atorstatins Tearstains.

And my god am l suffering. Over he years l have had joint pain in my Knees, arms and shoulder and now my feet.

I believe that l my now have gout in my left big toe,

I have researched the drug - which l don't normally do. I rely on the GP. And found that there is something in Statin that causes Gout.

I remember a very good friend of mine refuses t take Statin, on these grounds.

Any ideas

All drugs may have side affects. What dose have you been prescribed?

MalteseFalcon 11-01-2017 07:58

Also, if the statin causes attacks of gout, ask your GP to be put onto a drug called Allopurinol. It's a tablet you take to prevent gout attacks, you take it every morning. I know, as a relative had the same trouble until her GP put her on Allopurinol.

Mr K 11-01-2017 08:26

There are alternatives to statins. I use plant sterols, which you can get in yogurt drinks (sometimes marketed as 'benecol', but there are cheaper supermarket own brands). Coupled with a few dietary changes e.g porridge for breakfast. It's brought my cholesterol down dramatically.

heero_yuy 11-01-2017 09:35

I believe you should get your lifestyle right before resorting to quick fix drugs. They all have side effects.

denphone 11-01-2017 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35880050)
I believe you should get your lifestyle right before resorting to quick fix drugs. They all have side effects.

Indeed Lifestyle is very important but alas no amount of good lifestyle can prevent those who are genetically highly likely to get medical conditions.

Taf 11-01-2017 11:06

I reacted to Simvastatin at first (joint aches) but the GP suggested I tough it out before trying another statin (Pravastatin). Sure enough after a few weeks the discomfort stopped. No other side-effects AFAIK.

I dropped from 6.4 to 4.2 over a year, and it's been hovering around that level for years now.

Incidentally, I was put on statins because my younger brother had a heart episode. And no lipides test before I was put on them!

denphone 11-01-2017 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35880067)
I reacted to Simvastatin at first (joint aches) but the GP suggested I tough it out before trying another statin (Pravastatin). Sure enough after a few weeks the discomfort stopped. No other side-effects AFAIK.

I dropped from 6.4 to 4.2 over a year, and it's been hovering around that level for years now.

Incidentally, I was put on statins because my younger brother had a heart episode. And no lipides test before I was put on them!

l was put on statins even though my cholesteral was fine and my enlarged heart failure condition has nothing in common with the usual reasons why statins are prescribed to patients.

l was put on Simvastatin to start with but my the joint aches would not go away so l am now taking Atorvastatin and so far l have not had any side effects

Maggy 11-01-2017 12:37

I'm on statins because both my parents and my uncles died of coronaries.

Ramrod 11-01-2017 13:07

Just had a quick look at the research papers on Medline and can't find anything linking statins to causing gout (but the wider web seems to have some stuff claiming a link)
This paper suggests that atorvastatin reduces serum uric acid levels which would protect against gout.

Paul 11-01-2017 15:28

Seems like you should be talking to your GP, not seeking medical advice here :erm:

solitaire 11-01-2017 15:30

I suppose I could be on of the lucky ones, but I've been on simvastatin for 20 years with no side effects. Cholesterol is now a regular 4.