Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   what does a DVD recorder need for connection to Virginmedia cable TV? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33626192)

babsi 28-12-2007 10:48

what does a DVD recorder need for connection to Virginmedia cable TV?

I am new to this forum. I want to buy a DVD recorder, possibly with hard disk for my daughter who has virgin cable.
She wants to be able to record one programme and watch another one.
Shops give me conflicting messages.
Can you do this with a simple analogue DVD recorder?
Or must you buy a digital DVD recorder?
Some said it must have twin tuners. Others said it only needs to be digital as the cable TV is digital so you don't need twin tuners.
My daughter's TV itself is not a digital one.
I had considered buying her the Wharfdale DVDR24 with HDD160GB but at nearly £200 didn't want to find that it would not do what I wanted.
You can't get your money back from Argos.
I have just read another posting on here where someone has had difficulty connecting this same product.
If a simple analogue one would record one/watch another it would be much cheaper.
Advice would be helpful before I buy.
Thanks B

BenMcr 28-12-2007 14:27

Re: what does a DVD recorder need for connection to Virginmedia cable TV?

to record multiple channels from cable you need a V+ box. the tuners in a DVD recorder are for terrestrial (aerial) signals only.

To record multiple programs from an aerial you need a twin tuner DVD recorder preferable a Digital one as analogue is going to stop by 2012

If you plug a dvd recorder into an outside aerial and a standard cable STB you would be able to record the program the STB is tuned to or any channel from the aerial connection

homealone 28-12-2007 16:57

The output from a standard V box is analogue, once the box has decoded the digital signal, however it only outputs one 'channel' at a time. (That is ignoring complications like terrestrial signals via aerial or 'bypass', as these will be turned off eventually - in the case of the terrestrial signals via 'bypass', quite soon, apparently.).

- the upshot of that is that it won't be very long before 'record one cable channel & watch another' isn't possible without a V+ box. (Or a separate Freeview box)

A digital DVD recorder that will decode & record Virgin Media digital cable is not separately available - only a V+ box will do what you want on a Virgin Media cable connection.

babsi 28-12-2007 20:05

Thanks or your prompt replies. My daughter does not want a V+ box because as alone parent with children she is unable to afford it.
The main reason for her wanting a DVDrecorder is so that she can record programs that the children are unable to see at the time they are shown.
Then they can watch them on their own DVD player/TV in their room while Mum can watch her programes.
In this day of modern technology I am surprised that this can't be done, or is Virgin making it difficult to ensure people use there V+ box.
Earlier in this forum a chap was asking a similar question re "how to connect the wharfdale DVD/HD digital recorder with freeview, to his Virginmedia cable TV" and people were giving him answers. It did seem very complicated.
But it was the recorder that I was considering buying for my daughter.
Now I am unsure what to do as it was meant to be a Xmas present for the family. As a pensioner I do not want to waste my money if it will not work.

homealone 28-12-2007 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 34460342)
Thanks or your prompt replies. My daughter does not want a V+ box because as alone parent with children she is unable to afford it.
The main reason for her wanting a DVDrecorder is so that she can record programs that the children are unable to see at the time they are shown.
Then they can watch them on their own DVD player/TV in their room while Mum can watch her programes.
In this day of modern technology I am surprised that this can't be done, or is Virgin making it difficult to ensure people use there V+ box.
Earlier in this forum a chap was asking a similar question re "how to connect the wharfdale DVD/HD digital recorder with freeview, to his Virginmedia cable TV" and people were giving him answers. It did seem very complicated.
But it was the recorder that I was considering buying for my daughter.
Now I am unsure what to do as it was meant to be a Xmas present for the family. As a pensioner I do not want to waste my money if it will not work.

The removal of the terrestrial broadcast analogue channels is nationwide & nothing to do with Virgin 'making things difficult' - it affects Sky viewers in exactly the same way.

The removal of the terrestrial channels currently carried by the cable on Virgin connections is different, but not all customers can receive these anyway, depending on which type of box you have.

Freeview is another matter, a twin tuner DVD recorder with built in Freeview should do what you describe - but limited to the programs available on Freeview, as far as I know. Without experience I can't be sure such an unit would be capable of recording from cable/satellite, at the same time as watching Freeview, for example???

The bottom line is that with the ongoing removal of the analogue channels, the ability to watch one channel & record another on cable or satellite will need two sources & two tuners or more, in some shape or form, in future.

- your point regarding modern technology is moot, but resources have been focused on keeping content available only to those who pay, rather than available to all, unfortunately .....

nomadking 28-12-2007 21:16

I use a Wharfedale DVDRHD400 DVD/HDD recorder with a Pace 4010 STB.

Anything that can record via a external SCART source will work. An analogue DVD/HDD recorder will work. A digital recorder refers to Freeview reception. If your daughter has freeview reception then the extra cost(£5) is worth it. If the recorder has 2 Scart sockets then it should work as one will be for external input.

The Wharfdale DVDR24HD160 is £150 now or £155 for the freeview version, but you are paying extra for HD(High-definition) which she won't be able to use without a V+ box and a HD TV.

The Acoustic Solutions DVD80RW300 DVD Recorder is £100 at Argos or £120 for the 160Gb version, but I don't know how good/bad they are. The internet can be good for finding out what other people's experience of equipment, whether good or bad.

babsi 28-12-2007 22:02

Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel hopeful but I am confused by the previous answers. Obviously it can be done but whether we are capable of setting it up I am not sure! In the past we could always record a different prog on a VCR whilst we watched another one. So I can't see why this can't be done jsy as easily with virginmedia TV although I think I understand the explanations given previously.
At the moment I have another problem.
I am struggling to set up a freeview box that I have been given as a present.
I have set it up with my TV and it works OK . My TV tunes into all the channels.
But my DVD analogue recorder is not receiving the normal TV channels or the freeview, to record them. When I tried to record a program tonight I just had fuzzy lines recorded.
So now I have to try and sort this out as well.

homealone 28-12-2007 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 34460428)
In the past we could always record a different prog on a VCR whilst we watched another one. So I can't see why this can't be done jsy as easily with virginmedia TV

you still can, my point is that you won't be able to for much longer & it isn't all to do with Virgin Media

- if you want to spend money on a single tuner DVD recorder, go ahead, but personally I wouldn't as the terrestrial analogue switch-off has started & you will need 2 boxes or 1 box with more than one tuner to 'record one & watch another' in the future...

joglynne 29-12-2007 15:25

babsi here's a diagram to check to see if you are linking your TV/freeveiw box and DVD analogue recorder correctly.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/12/2.gif
http://support.sony-europe.com/tutor...TV1S,STB1,DVDR

As far as your daughter is concerned unless she is likely to be changing her CRT TV in the near future to a digital TV with built in Freeveiw then I agree with the previous posters. Her best bet is a twin tuner DVD recorder with built in Freeveiw if you/she can stretch to one with a built in hard drive that would be an even better in the long term.

babsi 29-12-2007 20:20

Thank you everyone for your support, especially Jo for the diagram. We didn't have the scart from the DVD to the TV. This was not mentioned in the setup booklet.
This has been a great forum with very prompt, helpful advice.
On your recommendations I went out today and bought my daughter a twin tuner DVD recorder with a 160 GB Hard Disk (Argos do not allow a 30 day return on these).
On my return I got a phone call to say she had ordered and paid for the V+ from Virginmedia and it would be delivered next Friday.
She was worried that we would not be able to set up a DVD/HD etc.
Therefore I now have just set up the new Digital DVD/HD on my TV so I don't need my new Freeview box!
Hopefully my old analogue DVD recorder will record from the V+ box when it is fitted so that my grandchildren will have their programs to watch.
I have learnt a lot from your forum and appreciated all the time that you have all given me.
Thanks Babsi