Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   wiring from router to Wallplate (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33637901)

janjan_376 26-08-2008 18:26

wiring from router to Wallplate

Hi,

I need help on how to wire an rj45 cable from a router to a wallplate(vice versa). My PCs right now are connected directly to my router, which my router is connected to a DSL Modem. Instead of connecting my PCs directly to my router, I would like to put them in each room and connect to the wall jack then of course the walljack would then have a connection to a router to share the internet and other files. Can someone please help me what I need to buy and how I would wire them. Thank you very.

Raistlin 26-08-2008 18:30

Re: wiring from router to Wallplate

Moved to 'Networking'.

Jon T 26-08-2008 18:51

Tools: IDC Punchdown Tool
RJ-45 Crimping Tool
Cable Tester(optional)

Materials: Enough CAT5e cable for the job.
RJ45 Crimp Connectors for the router end of the cable
Single/Double RJ45 outlets(depending on what you need)
Standard electrical backbox for each outlet

As for the wiring, most wallplates will come with colour coded connections on the back, you lay the wire on the top of the terminal, and use the punch down tool to press it in as far as it will go.

The RJ-45 ends are a bit more tricky, you have to arrange the individual 8 conductors according to the correct sequence(linked to below), carefully place the RJ-45 plug on the end, and crimp it using the......well, er crimping tool!

http://www.beginnercode.com/index.php/2006/11/ Links to a site that tells you the wring sequence of an RJ-45 and how to put one on the end of a piece of CAT5.

TheNorm 26-08-2008 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon T (Post 34627066)
...The RJ-45 ends are a bit more tricky, ....

Good advice, but I would buy patch cable from Ebay - cheap, available in a variety of colours and lengths, and saves a lot of faffing around with a crimp tool.

Wiring the wall plates is fairly straightforward once you get the knack of the punch-down tool. Don't untwist any of the twisted pairs more than necessary, and double-check that you have followed the wiring scheme correctly.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

velocite 27-08-2008 19:49

Screwfix do a basic networking kit for £27
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10346/...rk-Cabling-Kit

It comes with 50m of Cat 5e UTP cable, four surface mount RJ45 boxes, a punch-down tool and four ready-made 5m patch leads.

You might need to add more boxes/KeystoneJacks (the socket inside the boxes - the boxes supplied can accept a second socket to make a twin).

The same kit can be bought from B&Q for £30

However I would very strongly recommend the additional investment of an RJ45 cable tester - you can find perfectly adequate new ones on ebay for £8 delivered (or £3 if you order from a Hong Kong supplier). The process of wiring RJ45 boxes can be VERY frustrating without a tester!

janjan_376 03-09-2008 05:19

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I bought a BIX terminal that can be attached to a wall. I followed the wiring connection but I am still having problem connecting to a network. I attached the other end of the cable to the router as seen on the attached file. Please help. I just want to have a connection from the walljack to the router in each room. Thank you.

Graham M 03-09-2008 08:36

If those 1-8s are assigned to the same numbers as on the RJ45 connectors, that isn't going to work, try.

1- White/Orange
2- Orange
3- White/Green
4- Blue
5- White/Blue
6- Green
7- White/Brown
8- Brown

and if that doesn't work, reverse them.

handyman 03-09-2008 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by janjan_376 (Post 34631180)
Hi,

I bought a BIX terminal that can be attached to a wall. I followed the wiring connection but I am still having problem connecting to a network. I attached the other end of the cable to the router as seen on the attached file. Please help. I just want to have a connection from the walljack to the router in each room. Thank you.

Just recently did this at work.

Double sockets for the wall (proper idc ones)
normal cat5 inbetween (£30 for 300m from a electrical wholesaler)
Patch panel (same b standard as sockets)
Switch
Router
Was a doddle to do, It was harder getting the cables into the conduit than do the wiring part.

MovedGoalPosts 03-09-2008 11:28

It's very easy to find that just one of the 8 strands isn't punched down properly into the jacks, or equally that you have crossed over a pair by misreading the colouring. A simple tester is a good investment if you are going to do a few of these. But just for one I'd firstly recheck both ends of your wiring to be sure. Make sure too that your patch leads are straight through, not crossover types, just to avoid issues there.

janjan_376 03-09-2008 18:12

Thank you for the suggestions. I will let you know the result soon.