Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Are paper coffee cups microwaveable ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=39145)

cookie_365 02-12-2005 19:42

Are paper coffee cups microwaveable ?

You know those paper cups (and the plastic lids) that those lovely people at Caffe Nero/Starbucks/Costa/everywhere else sell your coffee in?

Are they microwaveable? Repeatedly microwaveable?

Now that it's getting chilly I thought I'd start making soup for lunch at work - only it needs to be in something like a cup with a lid so I don't spill it everywhere on the way back to my desk (I'm a bit clumsy, you see ;)).

So I thought I'd use a coffee cup instead - I'll clean it first, I promise. :erm:

Don't want to find the hard/painfull/messy way that it won't work :)

Paul K 02-12-2005 19:52

Re: Are paper coffee cups microwaveable ?

Should be microwaveable but without knowing what they are made of I wouldn't guarantee it. Can't you just get a normal beaker type cup with a sealed lid? Would be safer in the long run as the paper cup may deteriorate over time and it may let go when you don't want it to.

tick 02-12-2005 19:58

1 Attachment(s)
try one of these

danielf 02-12-2005 20:42

OR one of these :)

Russ 02-12-2005 20:49

I'm going to follow the Nugget school of thought here.

There's only one way to find out :D

cookie_365 02-12-2005 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf
OR one of these :)

:) - I even like the colours :)

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tick
try one of these

That looks like the sort of thing I'm after - got a linky ?

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ D

It's what I'd normally do - I have an 'active' learning style - but I don't want to get shouted at if it all goes horribly wrong ...... :erm:;)

dilli-theclaw 02-12-2005 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ D

Yup - let braniac science abuse do it first :)

Paul 02-12-2005 21:51

Any paper cup can be used in a microwave.

tick 02-12-2005 22:03

That looks like the sort of thing I'm after - got a linky ?
on ebay in mugs
not sure how to do links
tick

cookie_365 02-12-2005 22:38

Thanks all - my active learning style is satisfied and it's go go paper cup in microwave for me ;)

And there's a burns unit in the hospital round the corner from my office, so I've got all possibilities covered ;):)

Oh, and off topic tick - if you ever want to put a link in a post, copy the website address you want to link to, type the text you want to appear in the message, highlight it, click on the blue & green globe icon with a chain by it (just next to to the indent button) and past the website address in the box that pops up.

Any questions, just post back :)

Thanks all

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
Yup - let braniac science abuse do it first :)

Mmmmm Richard Hammond :)

I'll have some of that for lunch instead :):)

Angua 02-12-2005 22:59

Another tip! Don't fill the cup too full and leave the plastic top off until you need to carry it to your desk, I think the plastic lids they use in Starbucks et al would melt as it is so thin.

Halcyon 02-12-2005 23:10

Whatever you buy, make sure it has a top that seals pretty well.
Last thing you want is it opening in your bag all over your work so avoid the cheapo ones.

cookie_365 02-12-2005 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua
Another tip! Don't fill the cup too full and leave the plastic top off until you need to carry it to your desk, I think the plastic lids they use in Starbucks et al would melt as it is so thin.

Cheers - hadn't thought of that :dunce::)

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon
Whatever you buy, make sure it has a top that seals pretty well.
Last thing you want is it opening in your bag all over your work so avoid the cheapo ones.

Opening in my bag would be a :( - leaking all over my work : I think I could cope with that ;)

Graham 03-12-2005 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie_365
Thanks all - my active learning style is satisfied and it's go go paper cup in microwave for me ;)

And there's a burns unit in the hospital round the corner from my office, so I've got all possibilities covered ;):)

You might also want to think about the possibilities of food poisoning if you don't actually get the thing clean and, when you re-heat the contents, they don't get hot enough (70 degrees plus) to sterilise any bacteria...

Jonboy 03-12-2005 02:00

i personally would make sure the lid had a hole in the top to allow for expansion otherwise you could be looking at a nasty mess inside if the cup explodes due to pressure build up inside the cup
me thinks putin a sealed container of any sort in a microwave or oven for that matter is asking for trouble one of the biggest problems i had when i was an engineer customers calling an engineer out complaining the m-wave was over cooking when in fact it was due to food liquid etc being placed in sealed containers very dangerious

ive even seen microwave & oven doors blown clean off their hinges (my advice Don't Do It)
unless it states on the packet it is safe to do so Remember that hot steam causes expansion and if it cant get out thru an escape hole DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!