Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Split pit connections (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681141)

telewatcher 15-09-2011 13:12

Split pit connections

Hi all,

Looking for some advice,

I've been having intermittent broadband faults/slow speeds and tv interactive faults for years. Tech said the BB fault couldn't be investigated further as I had a wireless router. The interactive tv issue normally resolved itself so only ever got reported when it lasted more than a few hours or so however, on monday both went offline and didn't come back.

The engineer has been today and explained there are 16 customers in my street running off of 8 feeds, all 8 connections are corroded. He's going to organise a network team to fix it.

Would the shared cables (even if not corroded) affect everyone in the street in regards to speed/dropped connectios and no interactive or only 8 out of the 16?

Are the feeds supposed to be split in the pit and doubled up?

Tom2270 15-09-2011 14:51

Re: Split pit connections

Yes this is probably the main cause. A technician should have reported this after at least the first split. For another seven splits to be done and nothing rectified is absolutely terrible.

telewatcher 15-09-2011 15:57

Thanks Tom2270.

Splitting the connections didn't sound right :erm:

redone 17-09-2011 23:16

Sounds like a sid network there is only ever a handful of connections in the network so an install tech would just put a splitter on a cable when they run out of spare ports shouldnt be allowed but all install techs do it as they just need there jobs to go in. Its up to network to make sure there are enough ports but trying to contact 1 as an install tech takes up precious time and most times you just get fobed off by them

jb66 17-09-2011 23:18

Kind of, networks generally dont want to know and pass the buck,

Nedkelly 18-09-2011 00:04

Going forward Virgin are trying to get rid of this type of network and trying to put it above ground :)

jb66 18-09-2011 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedkelly (Post 35301382)
Going forward Virgin are trying to get rid of this type of network and trying to put it above ground :)

Well, the amps are but there is no way the taps and bombs will

qasdfdsaq 18-09-2011 12:35

Bombs, what an elegant name for a crucial piece of network equipment.

RB2004 18-09-2011 18:36

i havent seen so I dont know what it looks like lol.

But, how can you split each port on a line tap into 2? I know that part of it is possible, but surely theres only a limited amount of lines for the telephone side of things?

so if you had 8 ports, for 8 cables.. then surely you would only have 8 ports for telephone lines?

jb66 18-09-2011 19:43

A pit with an 8 port tap usually has ten telco lines. Not everyone has telco and there are ways to get an extra line that should have gone to a further bomb down the line (not that it's good practice to do that)

qasdfdsaq 18-09-2011 20:48

VM tech: "I'll be back in a few minutes, just need to take a few wires out of this bomb and put them into this other bomb under the pavement here... So I can wire up your telephone to the bomb, obviously."

weesteev 18-09-2011 21:53

SID is still actively deployed in network builds where SID is the primary network type, we arent abolishing it.

You can easily split a coax tap port using a standard coax splitter in the pit, as long as the signal levels are OK then it shouldn't be an issue. What should happen though is that the oversubscribed tap block is reported to networks and upgraded but that didn't always happen in the past leaving you with issues like this. You will probably find either a Range 4 cabinet (single door) is built to accomodate the new tap bank or a larger chamber is put in place to accomodate the ports. If its SID architecture then the slotboxes wont be large enough for bigger tap banks as well as Telco bombs.

And its called a bomb as the enclosure (Hellerman) looks like the end of a Bomb, its just a black plastic cover that protects the D Sides phone connections in the pit.

HTH