Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Time limit on speeding prosecution? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33627871)

tpjay 30-01-2008 23:33

Time limit on speeding prosecution?

Can anyone tell me if there is a time limit between issue of a notice of intended prosecution and the issue of a summons to appear in court?

I received the NIP within the requisite fourteen days - existing 9 points mean court appearance but have still not received summons 6 months later....

WHISTLED 30-01-2008 23:44

Re: Time limit on speeding prosecution?

Im think there probabbly is but you will be looking at years not months

Derek 30-01-2008 23:58

In Scotland it is 180 days but this can be increased in some cases. Not sure about England/Wales/N. Ireland.

scrotnig 31-01-2008 01:17

It always used to be six months from the issue of the NIP. Unless it's changed, if six months have elapsed you're ok.

Even then, if they wait almost six months before issuing it, you can argue "abuse of process", they cannot just sit on it, they have to issue it "expediently" and if they don't they have to justify it.

andygrif 31-01-2008 11:10

I had in my mind it was six months too. Not 100% sure, but I'm sure I've heard it before somewhere.

The Hitman 31-01-2008 11:48

Yeah it is six months. I had a court appearance over a speeding fine. It took the police about 6 months to find me. When it went to court they where 1 week over the limit. It got dropped. They paid all the court costs mine as well:D

The Magistrate tried to impose the fine ect. But my solictor told him that the law is law and his job is to go by the rules and enforce it.

lostandconfused 31-01-2008 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hitman (Post 34480467)
Yeah it is six months. I had a court appearance over a speeding fine. It took the police about 6 months to find me. When it went to court they where 1 week over the limit. It got dropped. They paid all the court costs mine as well:D

The Magistrate tried to impose the fine ect. But my solictor told him that the law is law and his job is to go by the rules and enforce it.

When i went to court just under a year after the offence, they not only gave me the points, they slapped on £140 court costs making a total of £200.

But i didnt have a solicitor with me... Lesson learnt!

Derek 31-01-2008 23:13

It also depends on the reason it's taken so long to come to court.
If the prosecution can prove they've taken reasonable steps to find you within the timescales they can proceed with the case.

tpjay 01-02-2008 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34480830)
It also depends on the reason it's taken so long to come to court.
If the prosecution can prove they've taken reasonable steps to find you within the timescales they can proceed with the case.

They know where to find me - not in my best interest maybe but papers were returned 6 months ago

tpjay

shabbychic 04-02-2008 14:41

as far as i know, 6mths to a year (neighbour was about 8mths)