Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   I can't get emails. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705260)

Osem 09-09-2017 16:09

Re: I can't get emails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philwhite100 (Post 35915863)
Well it looks like we are a step closer to getting our issue resolved. At long last we spoke to someone at VM who was very helpful and promised to ring us back at a certain time and kept his promise.

It seems the email addresses got deleted in a contract change and the addresses are still on their server but we need to fill a form in and send it back to VM for them to reinstate the email addresses.

It beats me why on the previous 7 phone calls to VM that nobody else could have told us this.

I guess that most of the call centre staff don't view the broader picture and just get nowhere fast as a result.

Hats of to the gent that dealt with us to get it sorted.

Fingers crossed. :tu:

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35915752)
Just as an FyI, gmail will only import via POP3 - which is an old technology. It won't synchronise anything like read status or anything like that (So you'll possibly get a deluge of emails at first, dating back who knows how far) and if you have folders other than "inbox", it won't pull those in either. It also won't pull in your sent items.

It looks like a complicated setup, but it's more straightforward than you might think. In gmail, go into your settings, under "account and import" there's an option to add email accounts from elsewhere. It'll first ask what your email address is - so type that in. Next it'll ask you if you want to import those emails - you do, so click next. On the next screen it asks for your username and password- that's the same username and password you log into your emails with, so your email address is the username and your password is your password.

Below that it asks for the server to use - by default it'll say pop3.ntlworld.com but this is wrong, you need to select that, click "other" and type in pop3.virginmedia.com instead. Leave the "port" as 995 and look at the other options to decide how you want it to import. That's it.

Thanks very much. I'm sure a few folks will find that useful.

Just an update, I have had a look at the relevant accounts and realised that on the most important ones I'd already set them to forward incoming mail to one of my Hotmail accounts so I have that going back quite a few years. Over time the amount of important mail that's been getting fowarded has been very small as I've been replying to those emails from the Hotmail account they'd been forwarded to. So to cut a long story short, after deleting all the garbage in the old accounts there's not much that needs to be done except forward anything important which was incoming prior to me setting up the forwarding and mail I've sent from them which is very little thankfully.

Cheers guys. :tu:

:)

nashville 09-09-2017 18:03

What a disaster for some people

SnoopZ 09-09-2017 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35915897)
What a disaster for some people

This often happens for people who use ISP email accounts, that is why i say never do this, always use something like Gmail or Outlook otherwise you may regret it in the future.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by philwhite100 (Post 35915863)
Well it looks like we are a step closer to getting our issue resolved. At long last we spoke to someone at VM who was very helpful and promised to ring us back at a certain time and kept his promise.

It seems the email addresses got deleted in a contract change and the addresses are still on their server but we need to fill a form in and send it back to VM for them to reinstate the email addresses.

It beats me why on the previous 7 phone calls to VM that nobody else could have told us this.

I guess that most of the call centre staff don't view the broader picture and just get nowhere fast as a result.

Hats of to the gent that dealt with us to get it sorted.

If you get this sorted i would recommend migrating away from an ISP for your emails.

Osem 09-09-2017 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35915898)
This often happens for people who use ISP email accounts, that is why i say never do this, always use something like Gmail or Outlook otherwise you may regret it in the future.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

If you get this sorted i would recommend migrating away from an ISP for your emails.

I'd agree. I imagine these companies quite like having customers who won't want to change their internet provider because they have years worth of important emails in accounts they won't want to lose.

heero_yuy 10-09-2017 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35915921)
I'd agree. I imagine these companies quite like having customers who won't want to change their internet provider because they have years worth of important emails in accounts they won't want to lose.

One of the reasons I always get my mail through a client (Thunderbird) that way they are stored on my own machine and can be backed up with ease. Now that smtp authentication is active I can also send mail from the client on any net connection and then a record of the sent mail is also local.

philwhite100 14-09-2017 19:58

Still not received the form I need to fill in so I got back on the phone to them again and it appears forms have been sent out with no address on them, what a stupid error on their part, how can something be posted without the recipients details on it, total screw up I'd say and another 1hour on the phone to them.

Osem 14-09-2017 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by philwhite100 (Post 35916467)
Still not received the form I need to fill in so I got back on the phone to them again and it appears forms have been sent out with no address on them, what a stupid error on their part, how can something be posted without the recipients details on it, total screw up I'd say and another 1hour on the phone to them.

I don't imagine you'll be keen to stay with VM even if they sort this out. It sounds like a nightmare.

JPAC 17-09-2017 11:41

This is all I ever get; http://store.virginmedia.com/unavailable.html
Sorry!
Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

Paul 17-09-2017 13:12

If thats all you ever get then report the issue to them.

Horizon 17-09-2017 23:07

I'm now getting the opposite problem to the OP, I am receiving emails on my ntlworld accounts, but can't send any.

I wonder if VM are trying to force us to use their VM email address'?

philwhite100 23-09-2017 07:58

Still no documents received from VM it's a joke.

philwhite100 08-09-2018 14:26

Well here i am 12 months later and the email issue never go resolved so i gave up in the end.

JPAC 02-10-2018 18:18

Weird, my VM emails arrived for 2.5 years but stopped June 2018. My new VM contract that needs e-signing but they have sent it elsewhere. VM say they will have it fixed today.

Just had an email from VM telling me it's fixed but myVM still has the wrong email addy. Oh well, try again tomorrow. webchat unavailable.

JPAC 10-10-2018 14:41

Re #43

Now sorted.