Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Any way to stop Sky Movies asking for a PIN? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705630)

RichardCoulter 04-11-2017 18:49

Any way to stop Sky Movies asking for a PIN?

Is there any way to stop the Sky movie channels from asking for a PIN all the time during the day?

This makes it awkward to channel surf; I don't recall this happening when I was with Sky (many years ago).

BenMcr 04-11-2017 18:50

Re: Any way to stop Sky Movies asking for a PIN?

Nope. It's an OFCOM requirement. If it wasn't there you'd get 'daytime friendly' films i.e. Made for TV rubbish that Sky use to show before the PIN came along.

There was actually a consultation about it being possible for other channels to do it too - but the feedback was negative:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...in-protections

GrimUpNorth 04-11-2017 20:07

That was one of the reasons our return to VM for TV ended yesterday after only 6 days. Sky Q doesn't seem to ask for a PIN anywhere as often as the V6 did.

Cheers

Dave

Mad Max 04-11-2017 21:10

It's ridiculous that a PIN is required, how many adults live together and have to go through this rubbish to watch a movie or whatever.

theone2k10 04-11-2017 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35923271)
It's ridiculous that a PIN is required, how many adults live together and have to go through this rubbish to watch a movie or whatever.

Not really mate sky, bt and vm are just covering their backs the pin allows rated 15 movies to be shown before the watershed, if they didn't have the pin they would only be allowed to show rated u and pg movies in the day.

OLD BOY 04-11-2017 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923256)
Is there any way to stop the Sky movie channels from asking for a PIN all the time during the day?

This makes it awkward to channel surf; I don't recall this happening when I was with Sky (many years ago).

Yes, it is a nuisance, Richard, but it seems to be the only way that we can get to see adult material during the day. Without this, Sky would be forced to show family friendly films throughout the day.

I was a little surprised that you still channel surf, given the incredible use you make of your V6. This is not the best way of discovering programmes you like, because you end up only watching a small part of your selected programme due to the fact that it has been broadcasting prior to your finding that programme.

Far better to select the programmes you want to watch beforehand. Given that your hard drive is so full, why are you channel hopping anyway?

RichardCoulter 05-11-2017 01:43

I could have sworn that the TiVo and/or the V+ allowed you to choose whether to make it ask for a PIN or not, but this is the first time that I've ever had Movies with VM.

Thanks for clarifying that nothing can be done and that it's not something I've missed

Stephen 07-11-2017 16:12

That was only for recordings I am sure, it is on Sky Q anyway. Only broadcasts ask me for a PIN. Once recorded it doesn't ask.

All movies if they are above a PG will ask for a PIN during the day.

I find it annoying as there are 3 people in my house and all above 18 so wish there was a way to turn it off.

jj20x 08-11-2017 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35923288)
I could have sworn that the TiVo and/or the V+ allowed you to choose whether to make it ask for a PIN or not, but this is the first time that I've ever had Movies with VM.

The option to turn the PIN request off is just for recordings.

The Sky Movies channels generally have PIN access during the day, except for the Sky Family & Sky Disney channels, which should have family friendly content.

RichardCoulter 12-11-2017 15:53

Can you make it stop asking for a PIN for recordings on the V6?

RobboEdin 12-11-2017 16:08

It's in Parental Controls.

BenMcr 12-11-2017 16:10

That doesn't apply to Sky Cinema channels.

nodrogd 12-11-2017 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35923271)

It's the nanny state mentality we have had for years. The authorities don't trust parents to contol their kids viewing habits so we all have to put up with the inconvenience as a result.

vincerooney 12-11-2017 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 35923265)
That was one of the reasons our return to VM for TV ended yesterday after only 6 days. Sky Q doesn't seem to ask for a PIN anywhere as often as the V6 did.

Cheers

Dave

Haha you quit virgin media as you had to type in a pin which requires about 3 seconds? Lots of reasons to quit but that isn’t one of them...

Hom3r 12-11-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35924696)
It's the nanny state mentality we have had for years. The authorities don't trust parents to contol their kids viewing habits so we all have to put up with the inconvenience as a result.

The troube is most kids will know the pin, so its as useful as a chocolate fireguard