Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676685)

martyh 17-04-2011 19:05

Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35215388)
What do you think should happen and how would virgin do it?

well if it's going to be buried bury it deeper where a spade or fork is unlikely to drag it up and cut it ,it's not rocket science :rolleyes:

what do VM do for a paved or tarmac drive ?

The Installer 17-04-2011 20:01

Sorry but i must say that Jason is right here, after all he is the customer and if the install has not been done the way he wanted and told the installers to do it then he has every right to complain about it. It has nothing to do with whether other people think its ok or not, and why should he paint the omni box???

The other point about the installers having too much work etc, yes this is true however that is not the customers fault is it! As someone pointed out this is the fault of the contract company.

Jason is also very correct in what he says about doing the job right and taking pride in your work. I'm sorry but the "oh i have too many jobs so i can't do your job right" excuse is, well bo*****. I have done this job, with too much work, but have taken pride in what i do and don't and have never had complaints. Simple really. There is no excuse for not doing the job correctly, it is just being lazy simple. After all if i could do it, as others can, there is no excusewhy these installers couldn't either!!!

The omni box shouldn't have been put where it is, it should have been put to the right of the window as the OP said, and the cabling could quite easily have been run above the windows, i think you'll find it is wood just under the bottom of those tiles, nice and easy to clip a cable up there, and guess what, you won't see it afterwards, then just have one vertical drop where the cable enters the property (where the omni box is at present).

Jason, i will point out that you may well find they have blown the face off your render behind the omni box, so this may require patching up too!!!

I agree with what Jason has said, he gave the installers instructions, if they didn't understand then why didn't they ask? Why should he stand there in the garden watching them?

There is no excuse for this type of work, sorry.

jb66 17-04-2011 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35215405)
well if it's going to be buried bury it deeper where a spade or fork is unlikely to drag it up and cut it ,it's not rocket science :rolleyes:

what do VM do for a paved or tarmac drive ?

It is rocket science, how do they get it deeper, do they get a digger out to lay a cable then landscape your garden after? And all that expense will be free of charge?

They dont go under concrete, they cable tie to a fence or ask you to make your own arrangments

martyh 17-04-2011 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35215459)
It is rocket science, how do they get it deeper, do they get a digger out to lay a cable then landscape your garden after? And all that expense will be free of charge?

They dont go under concrete, they cable tie to a fence or ask you to make your own arrangments

and that's why i don't think they will dig up your garden to put a cable in ,they will do as they did with me feed it through the hedge or as you say clip it to a fence or tell the customer to make their own arrangement

now if an installer comes on and tells me they do dig up gardens then ok i will accept that but i still don't think it's a good idea

Jimmy-J 17-04-2011 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35214979)
I think that's bit over the top ,it's not the best but by no means the worst .As has been mentioned if the OP is that fussy he should have been there .Did he tell the installers where to put the cables and the box ?or did he just leave vague instructions when it was booked .The other issue i can see is, there is another cable that has been run from the box along the damp course ,what is that ? where does it go ?

It has nothing to do with being fussy, the so-called "qualified installer" should know where to run cable so that it doesn't leave any unsightly mess.

If a customer isn't totally satisfied with the installation of a product, then the customer has every right to complain to the company responsible for his dissatisfaction.

carlwaring 17-04-2011 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35215472)
now if an installer comes on and tells me they do dig up gardens then ok i will accept that but i still don't think it's a good idea

I live in a small rented place that is to the rear of the main house. For my install ISTR that they did, actually, have to dig a small trench through the sall back lawn of the main property.

hedgie 19-04-2011 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35215382)
If that is the case i think that is a very bad idea ,i would have thought that burying a cable that shallow is risky for the home owner not to mention future owners who don't know it's there

At the very least you should have tape or conduit to protect it. I would not want to be liable for any costs if I damaged a cable that was that shallow with no protection.

carlwaring 19-04-2011 10:34

Not had a problem here in the five years since it was done.

craigj2k12 19-04-2011 16:03

mine comes through the grass, at spades depth, in the green hosing and is tacked along the wall, no problem, the grass was back to normal within a couple of days, and everything works fine!

by the way my omni box is brown (installed by virgin media a couple of months ago)

v0id 20-04-2011 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35215459)

I know a couple of cases where an installer has just pinned it to the floor, in one install they concreted over the cable afterwards too.

Jason1975 23-04-2011 10:36

Update:

Well after spending hours on the phone trying to resolve our install issue we finally got an engineer booked for yesterday between 10am and 2pm. I cancelled plans and stayed home waiting patiently for the engineer.

Only problem was, he did not arrive. No phone call no appology , nothing.

Good skills Virgin. One step closer to cancellation. If their services were not 1/2 the price of SKY I would be gone (along with 1/2 Virgins customer base I think)

martyh 23-04-2011 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1975 (Post 35220069)
Update:

Well after spending hours on the phone trying to resolve our install issue we finally got an engineer booked for yesterday between 10am and 2pm. I cancelled plans and stayed home waiting patiently for the engineer.

Only problem was, he did not arrive. No phone call no appology , nothing.

Good skills Virgin. One step closer to cancellation. If their services were not 1/2 the price of SKY I would be gone (along with 1/2 Virgins customer base I think)

That's bad ,sounds to me like the person who booked it failed to realise it good friday

Peter_ 23-04-2011 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35220074)
That's bad ,sounds to me like the person who booked it failed to realise it good friday

Not really as we had slots available all over the bank holiday weekend including Easter Sunday, if none were available the system would show that as we can only book live slots.

Jason1975 23-04-2011 18:05

lol now Virgin service has gone down over a large part of Surrey

hedgie 01-05-2011 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35220076)
Not really as we had slots available all over the bank holiday weekend including Easter Sunday, if none were available the system would show that as we can only book live slots.

Yuo I can confirm that I was offered a Bank Holiday slot, much to my surpirse, however I am takign a later midweek slot to keep the holiday free :D:D