Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   100M : The Pirate Bay is blocked (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687410)

ileikcaek 02-05-2012 22:12

re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

^^ I am aware of this block, but they are complying with something they don't technically have to since the EU already said otherwise. we will just have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks. I rarely torrent so it doesn't affect me so much, it just worries me as it will end up being more and more websites blocked in the same way and then we will have fully censored internet in the UK. A stand must be made.

_wtf_ 02-05-2012 22:15

re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35422519)
I wonder why it was TPB that was targeted first. Perhaps because it's the best known? There are scores of torrent trackers to choose from.

Taking down the Pirate Bay has become political.

There's no way a block on TPB will help the content industries and there's no doubt it's actually doing them more harm than good but they are determined to take it down.

You only have to look at the debacle with MegaUpload to realise they don't care how legal their actions are as long as they seem to be winning the war.

martyh 02-05-2012 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickymallory (Post 35422526)
^^ I am aware of this block, but they are complying with something they don't technically have to since the EU already said otherwise. we will just have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks. I rarely torrent so it doesn't affect me so much, it just worries me as it will end up being more and more websites blocked in the same way and then we will have fully censored internet in the UK. A stand must be made.

quite agree ,and i bet it won't be long before VM are taken to a higher court and told to unblock TPB

Ignitionnet 02-05-2012 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35422531)
quite agree ,and i bet it won't be long before VM are taken to a higher court and told to unblock TPB

Err it won't be VM taken to a court, they're merely obeying a court order. It'll be those who initiated the court action to force the blocking.

Peter_ 02-05-2012 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35422531)

Nothing to do with Virgin Media as it is a law ruling which they have to obey.

webrosc 02-05-2012 22:41

I read that VM are against this, but they have been ordered to by the courts so will comply.

Don't the courts realise that TPB is used for other things than pirating?

thenry 02-05-2012 22:47

Of course VM are against this. They're in the business of selling high speed broadband which fits in perfectly for things linked to TPB.

VM wouldn't implement such a thing on their own accord. As much as it might irritate them with capacity, its business, they need business and with that they have to take the blow to gain monies/business/customers whatever.

martyh 02-05-2012 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35422534)
Err it won't be VM taken to a court, they're merely obeying a court order. It'll be those who initiated the court action to force the blocking.

correct , i had a brain implosion ;)

kwikbreaks 02-05-2012 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by webrosc (Post 35422537)
Don't the courts realise that TPB is used for other things than pirating?

Arguing that the main function of TPB isn't to aid copyright infringement is about as stupid as forcing ISPs to waste money blocking it IMO.

martyh 02-05-2012 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikbreaks (Post 35422543)
Arguing that the main function of TPB isn't to aid copyright infringement is about as stupid as forcing ISPs to waste money blocking it IMO.

indeed ,i think there's a clue in the name :)

webrosc 02-05-2012 22:58

Quote:

true.
atleast TPB will be adding new sites to the list as fast as ISP's block them lol

Gordon_30 02-05-2012 23:05

This block is actually very easy to bypass , don't know why they bothered , even if people can't access it , there are so many similar sites , blocking the pirate bay is a complete waste of time

Skie 03-05-2012 00:10

Even using google translate bypasses it. Can't search, but you can browse the popular torrents by category and user etc.

Daveoc64 03-05-2012 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCalling (Post 35422470)
Presumably this block option will be for violent content and online games as well since violence is a far worse example for children than sex, I think all sane people would agree. Sites with gambling, alchohol and drugs references would obviously be higher up the ban list too of course. Will there be separate options for all these things or will it be a single on/off 'Government Nanny' button that covers everything bad?

This is all still for debate. There's a lot of arguments for and against including all sorts of content (violence, drugs, hate speech etc.)

If it's too restrictive, then everyone will want to turn it off and it becomes pointless.

qasdfdsaq 03-05-2012 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by _wtf_ (Post 35422528)
Taking down the Pirate Bay has become political.

It's always been political.

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

Quote:

I recall at one point someone pulled out the figure that 70% of content on TPB wasn't copyright-infringing.