Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686962)

Gary L 13-04-2012 14:20

Re: Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35413468)
edit - mind you the ex DID find it very hard to find a church that would marry her because SHE was the one who committed adultery and wanted to marry him.

Was it around a 'religious holiday' like Easter or Xmas time?

it could be the case that the rules were relaxed if nothing much was going on at the time.

dilli-theclaw 13-04-2012 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35413472)
Was it around a 'religious holiday' like Easter or Xmas time?

it could be the case that the rules were relaxed if nothing much was going on at the time.

I see you are not prepared for a serious debate so I won't reply to you any more on this subject you may return to your normal trolling.

Russ 13-04-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35413473)
I see you are not prepared for a serious debate so I won't reply to you any more on this subject you may return to your normal trolling.

Do what I've been doing - ignore the trolling and only respond to those with a genuine interest.

dilli-theclaw 13-04-2012 14:38

Part of the problem I've been having in my confirmation classes is with different ways of interpreting the same thing.

For example as I'm restricted in the written word I use an app on my iPad for my bible which has twenty nine English translations in it. Although the message / story / teaching are (mostly) the same the way it's told can vary enormously.

What people make of their own 'version' doesn't have to represent what others do.

I don't have a problem with people being gay but I do have a problem with having to explain myself with regards to it.

What people think is entirely up to them.

Russ 13-04-2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35413476)

I don't have a problem with people being gay but I do have a problem with having to explain myself with regards to it.

Absolutely. As soon as people find out about my faith the first question is usually (or connected to) "So what do you think about gays/gay marriage?". It's like I'm their trained monkey and expected to perform for them.

danielf 13-04-2012 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35413477)
Absolutely. As soon as people find out about my faith the first question is usually (or connected to) "So what do you think about gays/gay marriage?". It's like I'm their trained monkey and expected to perform for them.

Perhaps they're genuinely interested as the opinions of religious people on the matter seem to vary considerably, as evidenced in this thread?

martyh 13-04-2012 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35413461)
The bible teaches that if a couple are joined before God, the only way either can remarry is if the spouse dies.

That's how i understood it ,but isn't the departure from that even by a few a dilution of Christianity ,the same as allowing some gays to have a religious service to bless their union and when does it become a departure from Christianity .
I ask all these questions simply because that is what non christians ask who maybe interested in taking up Christianity as a belief ,and if the Christian church as whole is interested in bringing more people into it's fold so to speak they must be prepared to give those answers .

Russ 13-04-2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35413479)
Perhaps they're genuinely interested as the opinions of religious people on the matter seem to vary considerably, as evidenced in this thread?

There are lots of other things that have varying opinions, such as Young Earth, Creationism/Evolution, Divinity of Christ, Religion in Society/Schools etc but I've never been asked about them straight away.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35413480)
I ask all these questions simply because that is what non christians ask who maybe interested in taking up Christianity as a belief ,and if the Christian church as whole is interested in bringing more people into it's fold so to speak they must be prepared to give those answers .

For these people I would recommend the Alpha Course.

danielf 13-04-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35413481)
There are lots of other things that have varying opinions, such as Young Earth, Creationism/Evolution, Divinity of Christ, Religion in Society/Schools etc but I've never been asked about them straight away.

Perhaps because they aren't as topical and potentially divisive as Gays/Gay marriage?

Russ 13-04-2012 14:52

Have you not been keeping up with threads lately on CF?

It's simply in my eyes - they just want me to say something controversial and I can see their disappointment when they don't get it.

Gary L 13-04-2012 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35413473)

It was a serious question. unless you have specific questions wanted in relation as to why it may be that the church allowed your ex to marry. then I can only guess.

martyh 13-04-2012 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35413485)
Have you not been keeping up with threads lately on CF?

It's simply in my eyes - they just want me to say something controversial and I can see their disappointment when they don't get it.

Maybe you should say something controversial and have a bit of fun at their expense :)

Possibly "God loves gay people the same as he loves all people because he created them"

Gary L 13-04-2012 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35413492)
Possibly "God loves gay people the same as he loves all people because he created them"

Ah, but does he though?

he may have created them but their thoughts are their own. that's what it's all about. choices and gateways in life that one is expected to follow and not drift from.

Russ 13-04-2012 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35413492)
Maybe you should say something controversial and have a bit of fun at their expense :)

Perhaps this is just a 'me' thing but I don't generally have fun anyone's expense when it comes to their beliefs.

Maggy 13-04-2012 15:25

What I don't understand is why be part of a faith that is divisive?There must be faiths that will accept you for what you are.
Anyway surely the agreement isn't between you and the church.It's between you and God..and what he/she/it tells you is for you and him/she/it.