Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   No phone line available? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684070)

Tog 23-12-2011 10:35

No phone line available?

Having moved house and ordered a Virgin TV/Broadband and phone package because they promised they could move my phone number quickly - I now find out they have run out of lines and can't give any indication of how long it will take. This is after nearly two weeks and two missed intstallations - this is ridiculous - the house already had a Virgin cable - it should have been simple...
what is going on and who do I complain to?

Tog

AndyCalling 23-12-2011 16:47

Re: No phone line available?

Blimey, it's been a long time since I heard of a lack of available phone lines. Last time was back in the 70s. The solution I remember is for lines to be rationed and shared between houses. These are called 'party lines'. Contact VM and ask about this, the procedure is usually for you to share a phone line with your neighbour but if they are on the phone you have to wait to make a call. I assume the line rental is split between you, it's a long time ago this was an issue so I can't remember. VM will have to find the old 70s rule book and blow the dust off before they can give you full details of the party line mechanism I expect.

gwilliams51025 10-01-2012 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCalling (Post 35349941)
Blimey, it's been a long time since I heard of a lack of available phone lines. Last time was back in the 70s. The solution I remember is for lines to be rationed and shared between houses. These are called 'party lines'. Contact VM and ask about this, the procedure is usually for you to share a phone line with your neighbour but if they are on the phone you have to wait to make a call. I assume the line rental is split between you, it's a long time ago this was an issue so I can't remember. VM will have to find the old 70s rule book and blow the dust off before they can give you full details of the party line mechanism I expect.

Or just add in more D-sides in the manhole and then connect to a free D-side in the next manhole. Would take 40mins and the network engineer would do this. Also the 2 customers would have the same number :S if someone phoned and the wrong person answered it would get frustrating

jb66 10-01-2012 07:15

It will be a lack of e sides in the cabinet, once some one leaves you can get on,ironically there will be some business e sides free but they don't let residential customers use them for whatever reason

---------- Post added at 06:15 ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 ----------

Quote:

The neighbour would never agree to that

Nedkelly 10-01-2012 08:08

It could be both 1 not enough e sides in the mux cab or 2 not enough d sides going to the cab the first one could be expensive if they had to put new esides in if the shelf was full .Normally they wait foe someone to disconnect then you get that eside .If the cab in the streeet is full then we would normally putt some new pairs/ d sides in if there was space on the cable in the cab .what i do not understand if the previous cust had phone why you cant use that e side unless they have not moved far and kept that eside .Normallyy they would send someone out to check the cab for spares in case the records were wrong :)

Peter_ 10-01-2012 08:12

Quote:

Privacy laws will negate that as you could have the neighbour listening to your private calls and when you ring in your account details pop up which could cause DPA issues, that is something that should be left in the past.